Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rimini Riddle- Anyone remember this??

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember this show on RTE on Saturday mornings. It was a puppet show about 3 children (1 called Leo) who went to live with their Aunt Vera.
    The youngest child had a stuffed animal who would come alive when the others werent looking called Otto. He was evil but I think he became good.
    Cant really remember what the Riddle was, but remember that there were a lot of story arcs for a kiddies show.
    There was a picture in their living room/kitchen with 2 girls beside the sea. Sometimes the picture would come alive- 1 of the girls was Nicola from Fair City- and I think this had something to do with the Riddle.

The story was excellent, would love to get it on DVD and see what its like again.

Anyone else remember this show or did I imagine it all!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah i remember this. scared the piss out of me IIRC. it was in the same vein as pajoe and the salty frog. that was in space. it was still fcuking awful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well thank be to fúck. I thought I was the only one. Everyone I've mentioned it to thinks I'm nuts. Can't remember the words to the song but I remember the tune. It was a catchy song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Do a search on the All things retro board there. Theres a fair bit of discussion going on on it there.

One of the people involved with the show posted and linked to a site where you can see some (very small) pics of the show on it. Might help jog the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

The blonde from Fairly Chitty was in it, Claudia Carroll?

And some creepy puppets alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I remember this well. Disturbing viewing indeed.
    Leo was the young lad and his brother was rory who's favorite band were The Fat catastrophes!:p Aunt Vera aswell, cant remember the sisters name. i remember they cut off Otto's head at one point and put him in the wash?! He had flipped out in the kitchen and started firing knives at Leo using telepathy.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Jesus christ I do remember it!! Aunt Vera! ...memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I've been wondering about this for a long time. Me, my brother and sister all have vague memories of it. But none of us quite remember it properly. Did it ever actually end? I mean did we ever actually find out what the hell was going on, I dont remember details about it but i think it started out fairly normal and kept getting weirder and weirder until it finally dissappeared and we never found out what the riddle was or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

are those puppets now used in the Dolmio ads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Thank god someone else remembered this, I'm not insane, this ran for 2 seasons I think, the second season was surreal, would love to see it again thou. Yea Otto used to make the boy do things, made the others think that the little boy was crazy, weird stuff on a Saturday morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Early 1990's, Kind of took over from Padjo who had a similar saturday morning show. Not Padjo's Junkbox which was the mid 1980s but after that and after his other show call the Whole Shebang.

Padjo was on a boat with friends. Strange show.

Where these all produced by RTÉ Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 N.H.

I remember this programme well but most of what I remember is from the first series. The aunt owned a guesthouse called the Rimini Guesthouse and the three children lived with her. There was a painting in the guesthouse of some relatives of the children. Everyone in the painting had died by drowning. The children could enter the scene on the painting. In the first series, the aunt met a man who wanted to marry her so that he could take all her money (can't remember his name, he was really scary). The characters in the picture tried to help when they saw what was going on and they ended up foiling his plans and sending him somewhere (I think maybe he was trapped in the picture). He appeared briefly in the second series when Aunt Vera got sucked into Leo's computer. Very weird stuff! It was a deadly programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colosus

Jeffery Jeffery, his name was Jeffery!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Look what I found....:D
    Leo-Rimini-Riddle_jpg_jpg.jpg

Una-Rimini-Riddle_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Fergus-Vera-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rimini-Riddle-TV-puppets_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Fat-Cathastrofies-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

Rory-Una-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg
    Plus something not Rimini Riddle related:

Troll-Saturday-Club-TV_jpg_jpg.jpg

Those puppets look really freaky!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 N.H.

Ah cool! I'd love to see it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I loved this! No one I know remembers it either. Those puppets are freaky looking. The music in it was excellent and a bit ****ed up. It seemed very Twin Peaks inspired. At the end, it had a list of questions that were left unanswered from that episode. It was cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Actually loved this show when it was on. Did Aunt Vera not have a male frine called Quentin P? Maybe I imagined that. I think the sister's name was Ellen-she had black hair. We never actually saw him, but the oldest brother, Rory, was always going on about his friend Jimmy Doran. Anyone else remember these details?

ratmouse wrote: »
    Actually loved this show when it was on. Did Aunt Vera not have a male frine called Quentin P? Maybe I imagined that. I think the sister's name was Ellen-she had black hair. We never actually saw him, but the oldest brother, Rory, was always going on about his friend Jimmy Doran. Anyone else remember these details?

The very strange thing about this programme is that no-one remembers many details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

I remember not liking it at all, thinking that the puppets looked like they were made by some kind of remedial group, and changing the channel whenever it came on, if that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Elmo wrote: »
    Early 1990's, Kind of took over from Padjo who had a similar saturday morning show. Not Padjo's Junkbox which was the mid 1980s but after that and after his other show call the Whole Shebang.

Padjo was on a boat with friends. Strange show.

Where these all produced by RTÉ Cork?

Padjo and the Salty Frog i think, then after that it was Padjo in Space :p on the ship as well.

I think Aunt Vera's love interest was called Mr Comisky or something. Can't be sure. Only other thing i can remember about him was he wore a snakeskin belt:pac:

Those photos are disturbing :eek: they all have shrunken heads and wizzened faces

That picture on the bottom unrelated to Rimini Riddle was RTE Cork's answer to the Den called The Swamp i think. It was shown in the summer time - nobody watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I watched this! Whenever I bring it up people never know what I'm talking about... I remember Jeffrey's face appearing in Leo's computer, that was actually a bit disturbing! I've been trying to find out the name of this show for years, thanks OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 colosus

Whoever sent me the links with the pictures of the rimini riddle cast, thank you! They really were scary when ya look back, brilliant stuff!

Any chance you could post it my direction? would love to see em

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vinnieq

Rory's band: The Fat Catastrophies!!

Brilliant link. How does something like a petition get going to get it on DVD?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

OMG I cant believe how this all came flowing back the minute I read this thread, I was just scrolling down to ask what the phrase Fat Catastrophes meant because I remember it was a question in a table quiz we did on the last day before Summer holidays in Primary school years ago, this is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://homepage.eircom.net/~evalundin/index3.htm

Down the bottom you can see Septic from The End :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mikosyko wrote: »

Rory-Leo-RR_jpg_jpg.jpg

He looks stoned

Those puppets didnt seem so freaky when I was a kid.
    What must I've been on as a kid?????
    I thought they were awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

I remember(...) thinking that the puppets looked like they were made by some kind of remedial group..

You and me both.

Awful muck.

• Advertisement

youngblood wrote: »
    Those puppets didnt seem so freaky when I was a kid.
    What must I've been on as a kid?????
    I thought they were awesome

I thought they looked normal too. We must have had way lower standards back then!:D

Advertisement