Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

From the 3 you've mentioned id say courtyard (some might say im biased because I live there though), the shuttle bus runs from courtyard and brookfield throughout the academic year, you can cycle it in 5 mins or walk it in a little over 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

1huge1 wrote: »
    From the 3 you've mentioned id say courtyard (some might say im biased because I live there though), the shuttle bus runs from courtyard and brookfield throughout the academic year, you can cycle it in 5 mins or walk it in a little over 20mins.

I would recommend the same but I'm also certain Courtyard only take people in for the full academic year. I know before I went on Co-Op they wouldn't give me a room for one semester. Brookfield do take people for one semester though, not sure about Groody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 1wildwolf

Cheers for the replies.

Courtyard can't guarantee us a place, but have said that if we e-mail them nearer to christmas they might have something open up.
    I'm guessing that means if someone moves out unexpectedly they'd have a room for us but otherwise possibly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

1wildwolf wrote: »
    Hey all.

Me and a friend are flying over to Limerick, following our supervisor, and spending a couple of months @ UL next year. We can't get into the University accommodation as we are not coming for regular semester times. However people like Brookfield Hall (who have said yes), Courtyard and Groody seem to be reasonable options.

Can anyone give me opinions/preferences on these and also the transport to/from the Uni. I know a couple have shuttle buses but when do they run? Is it a reasonable/nice walk to the uni (if the weather holds up!)? Are there regular public transport buses too?

I've read some of the previous reviews here and it sounds livable...it's not like i'm expecting anything 5 star ;)

Cheers for your time

Jonathan

Hey,

I live in Brookfield and it's going great so far. The apartments are nice; I prefer them to most other student accomodation anyway. It's fairly quiet, bar the odd night. The shuttle bus runs from 8.15-10.15, 12.45-14.15 and 16.15-18.15. It's generally punctual, but not always. It's only a 15minute walk at most from the Uni, so it's not too bad a walk. The only public transport in the area is the bus into town; there's a bus stop around 5 minutes away from Brookfield. Plus, there's a Subway, Off-License, Bookies and pub around 5 minutes walk up the road and two shops (well, petrol stations with shops) a further two minutes walk on the main road.

Cheers Rineanna.

Groody have just replied and said they have places, though we would have to pay as if we were staying there for the entire semester. I can understand why of course, but it does mean that Brookfield is looking a pretty likely option at the moment

• Advertisement

15mins walk from brookfield, mate you must be a fairly fast walker.
    But ya the bus is a great option, Ya the apartments there are nice but the internet is on par with dial up, impossible to download anythng there like and I've always found it fairly dull there but if your looking to study a lot im sure it would be a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Living in Oaklawns this year around, not a bad location at all, dunno how slow some of the previous posters walk but I'm usually outside Java's after a 5 minute walk. Close to Superquinn/Lidl/Lodge/Hurlers mostly also. Accomodation is a bit sparse to be honest. Walls are PAPER THIN, everything can be heard in the house. Nice sized Kitchen and Sitting room but thats it, rooms(5) are all equally small,single beds. The 2 bathrooms I suppose are the up side of that. No cable TV or Broadband inc. in our €60 a week rent.

Overall, its a fine place to live for 1st/2nd Year, doubt I'll be sticking around here for 3rd/4th as its not the best for study in any regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

15mins walk from brookfield, mate you must be a fairly fast walker.But ya the bus is a great option, Ya the apartments there are nice but the internet is on par with dial up, impossible to download anythng there like and I've always found it fairly dull there but if your looking to study a lot im sure it would be a great option.

I'm actually pretty slow, but the 15 minutes time is usually when the bus hasn't come and I've 20 minutes to get in and make a lecture! But yeah, 15-20 minutes is what a lot of the other people I knoe living there do it in.

+1 on the internet front. I didn't get it from Brookfield themselves, 'cos I'd heard it was pretty pre-historic, so I'd advise anyone going to Brookfield to get the portable mdems from O2 or Vodafone and the like. It's €75 for the slow internet connection in Brookfield or around €20 a month for the modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Wendero

How much does a room at Groody cost/week? Seems there isn't very much information on their site.

/John

Wendero wrote: »
    How much does a room at Groody cost/week? Seems there isn't very much information on their site.

/John
    Phone: +353 (0)61 334 884

• Advertisement

Phone: +353 (0)61 334 884

Or send them an e-mail, they have been excellent at replying quickly to me.
    It seems that that is where we will be staying when we come over next year. .. they must be booking up quick as they didn't even have 2 rooms in the same (3-bed) appt.

We had to book for the whole semester (even if we'll only be there for part of it) but it wasn't too bad a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 irishman2008

Hi lads,
    anyone have any details on the new troy student village down by the groody, thinking of getting a place there but cant seem to find a website or anything for it. Does anybody know any good places in and around UL or close enough where you can get a 2bed apartment for the semester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosgirl

Im not sure about troy but I know brookfield hall still have two bedroom apartments available, Its marginally farther away than troy but there is a free bus that runs throughout the day so the distance isn't really a problem.

thanks rosgirl...just wondering with most student villages even though they quote a price for second semester from jan- end of may, if your booking and moving in to the place in february, your surely not liable for rent for jan are you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosgirl

thanks rosgirl...just wondering with most student villages even though they quote a price for second semester from jan- end of may, if your booking and moving in to the place in february, your surely not liable for rent for jan are you??

It depends on the village but in brookfield there is a set charge for bills but after that the rent is calculated per week so id doubt you would be liable to pay for weeks you are not living here.

Hi lads,
    anyone have any details on the new troy student village down by the groody, thinking of getting a place there but cant seem to find a website or anything for it. Does anybody know any good places in and around UL or close enough where you can get a 2bed apartment for the semester?
    I've been in troy a few times and have mates there, its very nice, lcd tv's, all ensuites and double beds. If you have a car its all the better otherwise a 5min cycle or 15min walk.

Wouldnt recommend brookefield though. All apartments and you don't get to know many people there. And the internet is literally as bad as dial up.

ya would there still be rooms going in the troy apartments?...im looking for a 2 or 3 bed apartment till the end of this semester

Try giving them a ring on 061-354840. They probably do have rooms available though as they still seem to be doing it up.

In case you decide to go for Brookfield, the bus doesn't run all day anymore. It now runs from 8 - 10, 12 - 2 and 4 - 6 or thereabouts. Just something to bear in mind!

thanks ergonomics is that the number for troy student village? how much do they charge for the rent per week/ month because ill more than likely either take brookfield or troy...i heard of other student villages like the groody student village and parkville but i dont know what there like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mimibear

Groody is pretty good I have to say, lived there for 3 semesters, parking can be a bit of a nightmare in the evenings thou, but I would live there again in a heartbeat if I had the money, and The Courtyard is pretty good too, hoping to move to a two bed apartment there when I start my masters. They are quite pricey, but they are worth it - modern, clean, good bathroom facilities, cosy!!

• Advertisement

thanks ergonomics is that the number for troy student village? how much do they charge for the rent per week/ month because ill more than likely either take brookfield or troy...i heard of other student villages like the groody student village and parkville but i dont know what there like

I got the information here: https://www.studentaccommodation.ie/property/troy/ which is saying they charge €70 a week.

I lived in Brookfield for two semesters and I didn't like it, but that's just me!

Have you tried on-campus? They might have some places.

Also try walking around College Court. That's the estate opposite the new Spar before Plassey. I noticed a couple of houses have signs up in the windows. There's quite a few rooms listed here, take a look: http://www.collegecribs.ie/component/option,com_mamboor/Itemid,42/openrealty,436F6C6C6567653D556E69766572736974792532306F662532304C696D657269636B253230253238554C2532392652656E742D6D696E3D3030302652656E742D6D61783D38303026616374696F6E3D736561726368726573756C74732670636C6173735B5D3D31/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Hey, I live in Troy, just moved in last week in fact. I have to say it's a fantastic spot. The apartments are of a great quality, LCD TV in the kitchen (which is massive by the way), and all the rooms are of a decent size. The minimum rent anyone is paying is €90 p/w as far as I know, and those with en suite's are paying slightly more (~€98 p/w). There is a pretty hefty deposit required upfront, €600, of which €400 is refundable, with the €200 held for ESB costs and if there is a surplus it will be also refunded. It can be a bit noisy is the only thing, but I'm on co-op so I'm not going out much hence probably finding it worse than it really is, but all the same it wouldn't put me off moving in again/recommending it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

ok where exactly is troy? i finished last may, and the map on the site just has castletroy in general without any indication of where it is. good to see that the housing crisis of last year seems to be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

ok where exactly is troy? i finished last may, and the map on the site just has castletroy in general without any indication of where it is. good to see that the housing crisis of last year seems to be gone

Stumble out of the Groody bar and it is at 90* to your left, i.e. on your right as you drive into the Groody bar/subway area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 GMFF

Hey, I'm hoping to go to UL next year and I put Cappavilla down first on the form, does anyone know if there's many first years there?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 fantabalous

In first year, living in Dromroe! Very nice, bit expensive! Very spacious! Living with 5 others! Everyone has a double bed and an en-suite! Balcony and all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

What On-Campus accomodation is closest to the university?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

At this point "which is closest" may well depend on what course you're doing. Health Science students spend quite a bit of their time in the Health Sciences building and for them, Cappavilla is closest. PE students tend to regard the PESS building as their base so for them Kilmurry is closest.

In a general sense Dromroe is closest as it's the most central - there are lecture halls further away from the centre of the university than Dromroe village is.

Ok seeing as this is a sticky ill post this again. In future try not to post the same post in the same forum.

Really depends on where you are.

College court if your mostly by schumann and kemmy.
    Dromroe if you in the main building and most places really.
    Kilmurry is your in the sports building.
    Cappavilla if your in the health science building.

Dromroe is your safest bet by far though, the campus is on your doorstep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I go to UL as in University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Where is your UL and what does it stand for? http://www.louisiana.edu is my school.

UL stands for University of Limerick. It's in Castletroy, Limerick, Ireland. www.ul.ie for more information.

I think I might have had a fail of some nature :( ....sceptre/Peteee did you have anything to do with the other persons post disappearing?

Advertisement