Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

hey was just wondering if there are aerial points in the bedrroms in cappavilla, i know there is in the main living area but not sure bout the bedrooms , i know dromroe doesn't. anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ sorry don't know

Unpacked my stuff in the courtyard today, lovely place. Ensuite and a big enough sized room. Loads of space for all my stuff.

And theres a free bus in the morning and late afternoons every 20mins.
    Can't wait to move myself in there tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moonbeam9999

1huge1 wrote: »
    ^^ sorry don't know

Unpacked my stuff in the courtyard today, lovely place. Ensuite and a big enough sized room. Loads of space for all my stuff.

Im delighted you have an Ensuite,I also unpacked my stuff tday at plassey,I was the only one who checked in and I was running late,no Ensuite for me,maybe when I MAKE IT MY OWN,it wont be so bad.A bit small for all my stuff,I love space and having the kitchen upstairs is annoying.icon5.gificon5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

A bit small for all my stuff,I love space and having the kitchen upstairs is annoying.

:confused: That's weird. I moved into Plassey today too and ours was downstairs. Was the only one in my house this morning when I checked in so I wont get to find out who I'm living with until Tuesday. Of course my secondary school had to be awkward and book our debs for a Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moonbeam9999

:confused: That's weird. I moved into Plassey today too and ours was downstairs. Was the only one in my house this morning when I checked in so I wont get to find out who I'm living with until Tuesday. Of course my secondary school had to be awkward and book our debs for a Monday.

I know,what house number are you and what course you studying?What was your first impression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The way Plassy (and possibly Kilmurry) are designed is to maximise the space in the Terrace, so every second house has the kitchen/living room upstairs; directly above nextdoor's kitchen/living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

ninty9er wrote: »
    The way Plassy (and possibly Kilmurry) are designed is to maximise the space in the Terrace, so every second house has the kitchen/living room upstairs; directly above nextdoor's kitchen/living room.

Well that's just curious and curiouser!

The only thing I didn't like was the smell of stale smoke when I opened the door but that has to be expected. Nothing a good bit o Febreeze won't sort out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

unpacked my stuff in cappavilla yesterday, no one else was in my apartment yet, headed home again yesterday be back down again wed night!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

I know,what house number are you and what course you studying?What was your first impression?

Sadly I have 2 French and a Belgian, so I'm preparing myself for a year of questions in bad English :(

hi, i got a letter yesterday on check in, saying everyone in cappavilla has a orientation on either tue or wed depending which house they are in. Thing is i cant make my one, or even the one the next day. is it really necessary to go?:eek:

• Advertisement

dragonfly! wrote: »
    hi, i got a letter yesterday on check in, saying everyone in cappavilla has a orientation on either tue or wed depending which house they are in. Thing is i cant make my one, or even the one the next day. is it really necessary to go?:eek:

What course are you doing?

eng & hist. i know my orientation is on thur but this was some kind of meeting/orientaion just for first years in cappavilla? im staying in lavander so meant to be at 6 tomorrow and some of the other ones are on wed at 5, however i wont be able to come down till wed night bout 7 or 8?:(

dragonfly! wrote: »
    eng & hist. i know my orientation is on thur but this was some kind of meeting/orientaion just for first years in cappavilla? im staying in lavander so meant to be at 6 tomorrow and some of the other ones are on wed at 5, however i wont be able to come down till wed night bout 7 or 8?:(

I wouldn't worry about accomodation orientation. The 2 days in college are the important ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

^^ sorry don't know

Hello neighbour!

Just moved in today. I don't have an ensuite room but have a bathroom to myself which suits me fine. Liking it so far anyway and it seems safe. I'm so paranoid about my car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

EDIT: Booked a place in Groody. Staying with a guy and girl and heading up there Thursday.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about accomodation orientation. The 2 days in college are the important ones.

thanks. it was just when it said it was complusory i was starting to worry:rolleyes:

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hello neighbour!

Just moved in today. I don't have an ensuite room but have a bathroom to myself which suits me fine. Liking it so far anyway and it seems safe. I'm so paranoid about my car.
    2nd day here and I love courtyard so much, was in kilmurry last night and the difference is so huge, im in 29 what about yourself?

2nd day here and I love courtyard so much, was in kilmurry last night and the difference is so huge, im in 29 what about yourself?

I'm in 16 and I love it too. After living in Brookfield for two years it's such a difference. Brookfield is dull but here I've had people ringing the phone, knocking on the patio doors and the front doors all evening. Just random people saying hello. My boyfriend is very amused, he's not used to us college students. Especially when they're first years proclaiming how mad it is that he's 10 years older than them!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

I was in Plassey last year but off campus this year in Hazelwood. I really like it, a large house, five rooms, mine has an ensuite and the rest are a decent size. Really nice landlord too.. Only €75 p/w including bins, esb, gas internet and chorus channels!!
    And only about 12/13 min from main building. There's also the convenience of being beside spar, pharmacy, chinese, italian and off-licence!
    Think il stay here the fext few years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Right, time for my extensive review of Brookfield :pac:

Even though i've only been there for a month as i'm in first year,
    there's alot to be said.

The Good icon14.gif:

Very quiet:

[ i.e: excellent for 3/4 years and postgrads ]

Bedroom:

Fairly big, rather clean, desk provided, lots of space for storage etc
    Single and double beds - you have to get lucky or be there before your roommates, if you want the double :p

Kitchen:

Fridge was nice and clean, big enough. Pots were fine, the frying pan was totally wrecked and covered in ****, so had to get a new one. Loads of cupboards to store stuff, plenty space. Cooker/Oven is good.
    Toaster and microwave all good aswell.

Living Room:

Nice and big, good space. Couches and pillows are nice.
    Theres also a small coffee table/footrest which is handy. The TV is fairly small and the signal was very fairly poor. Tried watching champions league and couldn't read the score :o. (no places give big tv's sadly). The dining table is nice and big, the chairs are also nice and look very new. Overall very nice.

Bathroom [all ensuite]:

Depending on your room you either have a small bathroom (big bedroom) or big bathroom(small bedroom). Eitherway the showers are nice, the water heating is excellent. For all people who shower for up to 30 minutes it stays piping hot and you can still wash dishes after ;)
    Sink and toilets were clean, all good here.

Staff:

Have been friendly and nice. Some people here have previously written they are very uninformative or unhelpful but i didn't notice any of that.

Strictness:

Security guys are fairly chilled and are not often to be found. Comes in handy :D

Parking:

Lots of parking space, even has stands for bikes.

Security:

Since brookfield is fairly far from anything, there's not many knackers or idiots about to go around and smash stuff, no need to be too worried about the car or bike.

The Bad icon13.gif:

Expensive:

Thought it was cheap until everything added up [loads of extras]
    which came to about 110€ a week average. Nearly 5k for the year. Costs few hundred more than even most expensive accomodation on-campus.

Far from everything. Campus is 30 minutes walk. Taxi's cost more. Only thing thats close is subway, the offy and Groody bar (5 mins). Aldi is a 15 minute walk. But obviously most people will want to go to the lodge or get the booze bus from the bus stop oncampus.

Atmosphere:

Very dull as some people have already pointed out. Not nearly as much craic as killmurry or other student villages. Can't recommend it for 1st years especially if you want to be boppin' all the time with the neighbours. Most people stay to themselves.

Windows:

The windows can't be pushed outwards more than maybe 6" ( half rulers length) Meaning if you want to get rid of some smell after cooking or from the night before, its gonna take ages to get rid of.

Window Blinds:

These totally suck, they are yellow in colour and blind the **** out of you in the morning as they let in loads of light. Nothing like getting woken up at 9am by the suns light beaming on your face through the yellow blind. Had to bring proper one from home.

Internet:

During orientation week it was fast. But as soon as everyone gets in, it comes to an absolute crawl. Takes up to 20 seconds to load pages other than google. Generally refers to between 6pm - 12am. Torrents are no-go though thats fairly obvious [all ports blocked except for 23 and 80]. Gaming is possible but it would have to be past 1am to get decent pings and you would have to force your game through http. (WoW or GuildWars would work with that). Xbox Live and PSN seem to work, again take into account pings will kill you during main hours.

Bus Hours:

This part is really important for brookfield because its 30min walk from campus. Bus Times have been cut from last year and its really annoying.
    Theres no bus between 10.15 to 12:45 and 14:15 to 16:15 which is INSANELY ANNOYING. Having no car makes this worse.

Reception Hours:

Close at 18:00 which is hilarious. They should close atleast at 19:00 so people who are coming back from late lectures which finish at 6 can atleast still reach reception when they get back.

Laundrette:

€2.50 per wash
    Stupid and pointless payment. Free is the only way

Rooms:

Maximum of 4 Bedroom apartment. 6 Bedroom apartments would have been nice and added more craic/atmosphere. Then again this boils down to Brookfields quietness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Good idea Feyy, maybe other people could do this? I won't be though, I'm an RA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

I feel suitably inspired.

Year 1 - Kilmurry No.23

The Good :)

Craic Factor The best way I can describe how much fun Kilmurry is; Think of a mad music festival weekend except imagine living like that for a year. There is always something happening in the village. The security are pretty nonplussed about the whole thing although I'm hearing rumours its a lot stricter now that Daft Dave is gone. Still, expect a minimum of 2 riots per semester and a house party on somewhere every night.

Convenience You are close to everything. You can afford to get up at 8.45am for a 9am lecture and still make it with time to spare. You're close to the Arena which is cool for a swim after a hard days College! You're so close to the lodge that if the ground is good-firm you can trek it on foot through the pitches. Even getting a taxi its only ~€2 each for 4. You're close to Superquinn and Fine Wines for the necessities.

Housemates I'm hanging around this year with friends I made in my own house and friends I made from just randomly heading into someone elses house. Its a great place to get to know people. You'll find it easy to make friends if you make a little effort yourself.

Other Stuff Parking is usually no problem, plenty of places. Our living room was fine, decent telly and we had very comfy couches although this isn't the norm. There are mainly anti-sex synthetic leather couches in the other houses which aren't very comfy. The house inspections are usually ok, we got second chances with them a couple of times and for the most part the village staff are sound. The price is pretty good too considering its all inclusive.

The Bad :(

Toilets This will be a major deal if you have an en-suite at home. Huge shock to the system to have to share a toilet with 3 others. You'll be alright for basic stuff as you have a sink in your room but having to wait for a shower or a shite is annoying. Plus if your toilet is on the ground floor like ours was, it gets really messy after parties. Nasty messy.

Kitchen The size of the fridge for 8 people is an absolute joke. It's the only issue I had with the kitchen. Everything else was fine, plenty of cupboard space and the cooker and delph were fine. But the fridge is a disgrace. Very annoying if you're the last to arrive on Sunday and the thing is full.

Parties How can this be bad I hear you say? Well waking up to something resembling a rubbish dump after a party is not nice. Having to clean it up yourself is worse again. Even if you don't have parties, you can be on the recieving end, we had a couple of bottles thrown at the house and had windows and doorbells broken. The Village Manager is usually fine with it and will have it fixed for you.

Other Stuff Its luck of the draw whether you get a double bed or not. There are 4 in every house. I was lucky I got one, I'd have hated a single. I'm 6'2" and I like to stretch out in bed! Internet is fine, you can get wireless off the Village Hall now and again. Annoying if you have a bottom floor room whose window fronts out onto the path as you'll hear absolutely fooking everything.

Thats pretty much all I can think of right now. Any q's about Kilmurry post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

I'll do one for Cappavilla in a couple of weeks after I've got more of a hold on the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

Thanks for that cson, i'm looking forward to the Cappavilla review, i'm planning to be there next year :D

1st year in the courtyard student village, amazing in every way!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

Cappavilla

Big aul apartments that are pretty close to the main buildings courtesy of the living bridge..

The GOOD

The Showers: They are awesome. nice amount of power, and they have proper doors.

The Bedrooms: Mostly double beds (all double beds i think), internet in the rooms, en suite bathrooms, nice size, plenty of storage room.

The atmosphere: seems to be something going all on the time, and yet if you feel like taking it easy some night its not excessively noisy.

The common room: its got a pool table.

the kitchen/living room: its nice, has nearly everything you'd want; oven, cooker, nice sized fridge and a freezer. the TV is a decent size and has good channels, setanta for the munster games and e4 for the OC and scrubs. pity the couches are so damn uncomfortable.

the reception: people there are generally helpful, we had a number of problems the first few weeks and they were very accommodating.

Parking: theres plenty of it, and its near enough the houses. sometimes you can get the bollard lowered so you can drive cars up to the doors to bring luggage in, which is also handy.

The Bad

i dont know if its the same for every house, but when i moved in EVERYTHING was broken. we had no hot water, the hoover didnt work, things were missing. we've sorted nearly everything out and a new hoover is coming tomorrow, but it wasnt nice starting off in college with that kind of hassle. however as i said above, reception were very helpful.

The distance from shops: the nearest shop is the spar in the SU, which mightn't seem bad, but when you have to walk 10 min there and another 10 min back you start to think "hmm i can go another day without milk or bread". forward planning is the order of the day.

The beds: although they are double beds they arent that long. im not the tallest but i find it annoying when i accidentally kick the wall when im asleep. also theres a really sharp bedside table sticking out of the wall that i knock myself off every morning. ive kinda gotten used to them now, but it was really irritating at first

in summation

i like cappa so far, it seems to be a nice enough place. ill wait till the end of the year to see if i like it enough to stay another year in it. as you can see theres plenty more pros than cons so far, its a grand place for 1st year, i found it easy to settle in.

Courtyard

The Good

The houses are a nice size and as they're all terraced they are always warm.

Security is very good here too and the place is well protected by cameras. I feel there would be very little chance of cars getting broken into or anything.

Parking wise it can be a bit cramped but I've never had a problem getting a space.

The Internet is a really good speed and never seems to slow down even at peak times.

Good, but random, choice of channels. Film4 is always good though.

Washer/dryer in the kitchen is always good.

The Bad

The walls are paper thin, and I mean paper thin. This is especially **** when you have a sex maniac housemate. I've gotten into a habit of sleeping with earplugs in but am still woken every night by said housemate shagging or people coming in after a night out. I'm extremely uncomfortable with that fact that, despite having my laptop playing music as loud as possible, I can still tell you that my housemate's boyfriend just answered his phone while they were at.

Storage in the kitchen is crap. We think we have a bigger kitchen than everyone else but there is only one cupboard available to put food in, for four of us. The freezer is tiny as well.

All the showers run off the immersion so if someone turns off the heating (in our house, this happens every day because people are idiots) then you have to wait an hour in the morning to have a shower and then it's a fight to get a shower before the hot water runs out.

I have the room that isn't on ensuite. I thought that my room might be a bit bigger because I don't have an ensuite but it doesn't work this way. Tiny room and tiny bathroom. I have enough space in my room for my stuff and all, but can't fit anything else in AT ALL.

To conclude...

I do like living here but I wouldn't recommend it for 4th years as it's never quiet.

Ya and the boilers are all really loud and the fan stays on for ages after you turn off the light in your bathroom.
    Still though the houses here are very nice and the craic is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BalletFreq

GROODY GROODY GROODY GROODY
    AH AH AH AH AH AH

BalletFreq wrote: »
    GROODY GROODY GROODY GROODY
    AH AH AH AH AH AH
    Grand except your screwed if ya dont have a car, courtyard and brookfield have a free bus.

I'd hardly ever go to my lectures without it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 1wildwolf

Hey all.

Me and a friend are flying over to Limerick, following our supervisor, and spending a couple of months @ UL next year. We can't get into the University accommodation as we are not coming for regular semester times. However people like Brookfield Hall (who have said yes), Courtyard and Groody seem to be reasonable options.

Can anyone give me opinions/preferences on these and also the transport to/from the Uni. I know a couple have shuttle buses but when do they run? Is it a reasonable/nice walk to the uni (if the weather holds up!)? Are there regular public transport buses too?

I've read some of the previous reviews here and it sounds livable...it's not like i'm expecting anything 5 star ;)

Cheers for your time

Jonathan

Advertisement