Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Eircom to cut off Music File Sharers ..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telemakus

Macros42 wrote: »
    Because it's the law! It's called copyright law - trying googling it. :rolleyes:

I'm not, and neither is Cabaal, on a high horse here - I'm no innocent when it comes to downloading movies/music/tv shows and I'm not alone. But don't try to dress it up in something it's not - it is illegal. If you can't see that then I despair for you. You can use all the justifications you like - you're still breaking the law when you download copyrighted material - and if you're using P2P then you're break the law twice - once for downloading and once for distributing.

wow high horse? where did i just hear that term...... ;)
    Its not the point! If you re-read your previous thread you'd agree with yourself ...and myself! ;)

what i do is my businees! It should not be the ISP's that have to sort this out by IMRO coercing them in to spying on users! In the same way it should not be the councils that are forced to police roads that border smugglers use!

you despair for me???? even though i share the same opinion as you do? Do you despair for yourself also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Because it's the law! It's called copyright law - trying googling it. :rolleyes:

I'm not, and neither is Cabaal, on a high horse here - I'm no innocent when it comes to downloading movies/music/tv shows and I'm not alone. But don't try to dress it up in something it's not - it is illegal. If you can't see that then I despair for you. You can use all the justifications you like - you're still breaking the law when you download copyrighted material - and if you're using P2P then you're break the law twice - once for downloading and once for distributing.

aren't you a bit hypocritical ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

[edit]oops - posted this then went to the next page and saw the warning - sorry Cabaal.

I'm going to say right here that the mods have been very, very lenient so far and fair play to them. There have been a lot of borderline posts which have been let slide for the sake of the thread continuing.

Regardless of what you and the previous poster said they are not in the employ of the record companies or pushing the record companies agends - they are just posters like you and me with opinions of their own and they have made very valid comments. I'm sure if you asked nicely they could actually moderate this thread strictly - but then it would drop to about 50% of the current size. But I would suggest that you read their posts more carefully - because as far as I can see they have not said anything inaccurate so far - I've differed in opinion with them occasionally but when it comes to facts they have not been wrong. You really need to understand the difference between fact and opinion.

ha! i just noticed something, thats all! hardly borderline reason for anything! Why are you raising the Drama factor here! And threatening to prune the board is a bit much!

And seeing some of the abuse they are dishing out, im sure they are big enough and well able to handle most comments with maturity, even when they themselves sometimes seem more intent on pointing out other peoples inadequate spellings etc!! Which is not the classic modding job!!

No problem with the moderators!! God love them, they do a great job for very little pay etc!!

telemakus wrote: »
    wow high horse? where did i just hear that term...... ;)
    Its not the point! If you re-read your previous thread you'd agree with yourself ...and myself! ;)

what i do is my businees! It should not be the ISP's that have to sort this out by IMRO coercing them in to spying on users! In the same way it should not be the councils that are forced to police roads that border smugglers use!

you despair for me???? even though i share the same opinion as you do? Do you despair for yourself also?

We don't share an opinion really. You're playing the fight da poweh game - blaming mods for having opinions and stating facts and thinking that downloading is not illegal and who are they to say different. It is. It does. End of. I am disagreeing with the legal aspect of what Eircom have agreed to - that an accusation by a third party is enough for action. Totally different arguments. Despite the fact that the final conclusion of our arguments are the same does not mean that they are the same arguments.
    zenno wrote: »
    aren't you a bit hypocritical ?

No - not at all. I have never said that downloading is legal. I have never implied that the record/movie companies shouldn't act to stop/limit it. I have merely objected to the manner in which Eircom have capitulated and manner is which they have allowed a faceless body to make accusations without the slightest burden of proof being required. And I have applauded the mods for allowing a potentially disastrous thread to continue unabated.

Where exactly have I been hypocritical?

• Advertisement

Totally different arguments. Despite the fact that the final conclusion of our arguments are the same does not mean that they are the same arguments.

How does that work out?
    Well metaphorically speaking, i added 2+2 to get 4, you added 1+3 to get 4. Either way, we came to the same answer! 4

Sounds like same argument to me! But what does it matter! Its just your opinion!

ha! i just noticed something, thats all! hardly borderline reason for anything! Why are you raising the Drama factor here! And threatening to prune the board is a bit much!

And seeing some of the abuse they are dishing out,

No drama - I just stated what they could have done. Posts regarding usenet/limewire/ip anonymising etc could very easily have been deleted but weren't because they contributed to the discussion. Even the crap about Eircom not being able to trace an IP to anywhere but the middle of a river was let go - and that was complete crap.

And I have not seen any abuse dished out - if I hadn't already see the "I'm ashamed you're Irish" remark I'd have made it myself :p It was a perfectly valid and deserved comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

I think artists make approx 10 cent to every 2 dollars on an album, so if i download an album worth 14 dollars i would be happy to send the artist 70cent so they wouldnt be losing out ;)

No drama - I just stated what they could have done. Posts regarding usenet/limewire/ip anonymising etc could very easily have been deleted but weren't because they contributed to the discussion. Even the crap about Eircom not being able to trace an IP to anywhere but the middle of a river was let go - and that was complete crap.

And I have not seen any abuse dished out - if I hadn't already see the "I'm ashamed you're Irish" remark I'd have made it myself :p It was a perfectly valid and deserved comment.

WOW! nasty!
    We all see what we wanna see macros42.
    Zenno is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

Eircom, who gives a flyin f**k what they think. Id say they provide the worst broadband in europe. can u imagine what isps in Holland or Germany might say, been 50 times the speed of Eircom:rolleyes:. They r just annoyed cos torrent are making their crap bb even worse. P2P is the future!! Get over it;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They would have been better of trying to prevent manufacture of ANY device capable of playing compressed audio.
    They tried that - don't you remember the Diamond Rio case?
    I mean - who records there own music, at home, in an MP3 file format?
    No-one records their music to mp3, at least no-one with any cop-on. People record their music to an uncompressed format. There are a pile of artists who distribute their own music in a compressed format though (for convenience for those who want it), as they have the perfect right to do.

the internet WAR lol. well it's up to the music/movie industry with all their billions to sort out some security for their products. theres always a way when you have the monopoly. i really can't see any other way this whole problem can be sorted otherwise and unfortunatly eircom are that sick of going to court they seem to have done a nice deal with the ass holes RIAA and the rest of them. one thing is for sure no matter what laws are brought in EMI sony universal warner they will always lose when dealing with a huge population of don't give a fuc ks. the ball is in their court to sort out new security if they can't then tough s hit

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rojerdandry

Hi,
    Mentioned this on another thread on boards before this court case was settled, because I couldn't see anything else about it on here, but did not get any info back. I was called by my ISP (BT) a few weeks ago and told that they had a complaint about my distributng a film that was on release. The guy from BT said they had a complaint from the studio that made the film, and he named the studio and asked me (firmly) to remove the file I was sharing. I know that there are inherent, difficult questions that accompany any illegal downloading; however, my bottom line argument is that the difficulty in applying regulation must mean that individual privacy will be infringed upon to an unacceptable level. The nuances of the argument for controls also make the idea of regulation too silly to go ahead with: for example I can 'download' a song into my brain from the radio, but I can't have a copy of it in my posession without the completely theoretical 'buying' process. I can play my copy of an album all day long for my household of 10 people, but none of them can copy, or have any sort of concrete claim over the songs they hear. I can borrow a copy of an album from a friend and copy it and no one will be the wiser, but I can't get it off him over the net.
    For total copyright control to exist all of our actions would have to be observable at all times - there is no point to arguing about anything less than this - the absolute limit of the implications of this are what you have to think about, even in the simple beginnings we are seeing now. The companies can either think up a better solution to their difficulties, or continue in their belief that they should be allowed 'Godly' properties in order to secure themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Essential reading on the subject.
    http://www.futureofmusic.org/contractcrit.cfm
    http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/index.html

Thats what you are deadling with, people who leech the artists for everything they have got, their name, image, ownership and royalties.
    It's piracy when the RIAA lobbies to change the bankruptcy law to make it more difficult for musicians to declare bankruptcy. Some musicians have declared bankruptcy to free themselves from truly evil contracts. TLC declared bankruptcy after they received less than 2 percent of the $175 million earned by their CD sales. That was about 40 times less than the profit that was divided among their management, production and record companies.

Toni Braxton also declared bankruptcy in 1998. She sold $188 million worth of CDs, but she was broke because of a terrible recording contract that paid her less than 35 cents per album. Bankruptcy can be an artist's only defense against a truly horrible deal and the RIAA wants to take it away.

Artists want to believe that we can make lots of money if we're successful. But there are hundreds of stories about artists in their 60s and 70s who are broke because they never made a dime from their hit records. And real success is still a long shot for a new artist today. Of the 32,000 new releases each year, only 250 sell more than 10,000 copies. And less than 30 go platinum.

The four major record corporations fund the RIAA. These companies are rich and obviously well-represented. Recording artists and musicians don't really have the money to compete. The 273,000 working musicians in America make about $30,000 a year. Only 15 percent of American Federation of Musicians members work steadily in music.

But the music industry is a $40 billion-a-year business. One-third of that revenue comes from the United States. The annual sales of cassettes, CDs and video are larger than the gross national product of 80 countries. Americans have more CD players, radios and VCRs than we have bathtubs.

I bow down to thee, O' powerful greedy scumbag overlord, dictate to me how i should look and act, assign to me an image consultant and bleed me and "my" works dry, you ****.

ummm...
    As if the record labels didn't have enough problems, now bands such as Radiohead are putting albums on the internet for nothing. Juliette Garside reports
    Supporting a rock band used to be an act of rebellion. In the face of today's mounting music piracy, it has become an act of conscience. Radiohead, the contrarian giants of British rock, last week released their seventh album on an unsuspecting public with the challenge of paying as little or as much as they chose. In Rainbows is available on the internet only, and the only compulsory charge is a 45p credit card handling fee.
    In the same week indie legends The Charlatans went one better and made their new single, You Cross My Path, available from radio station Xfm's website at no charge.
    "I want the people to own the music and the artists to own the copyright. Why let a record company get in the way of the music?" says Tim Burgess, the Charlatans' lead singer.
    These gestures are without doubt a two-fingered salute to the fat cats at the major record labels. More worryingly for the four international companies that account for 80 per cent of worldwide music sales, they could also sound the death knell for paid-for music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I bow down to thee, O' powerful greedy scumbag overlord, dictate to me how i should look and act, assign to me an image consultant and bleed me and "my" works dry, you ****.

sorry but the same goes for food. do you steal food that is made by multinationals ?
    thats the type of stuff that peniless students come up with ,so they can leech off everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sony are hardly the best example. but I agree otherwise.

TBH and it hurts me to say it, Sony seem to have learned their lesson this.

No DRM on phones or PS3 or PSP or MP3 players that I can see and they all can connect as hard drives so no requirement for third party software.

I avoided them like hell during Sonic Stage and pretty much swore I'd never buy another Walkman product. But they have come around since and the PS3 is excellent and so is my Walkman phone.

If they could just use a standard headphone jack on the phone now, everything would be perfect in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

heres an example of how a company can encourage online business. not to everyones taste ,but a free drm free sampler of current releases.
    http://www.k7.com/sampler/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vengeancepuppy

This will simply die. It was a smart move by Eircom. The company is being slowly forced out of the broadband market because frankly, it sucks and charges too much money. Being forced to ban a large portion of its user base as a result of court-ordered monitoring tools would strike a major blow against them. What they have essentially done is shaken hands on a deal which they have no intention of honouring. When they get information from music industry's scouts about illegal downloading they may send a warning and disconnect a few users but because of dynamic IPs there will be no way to monitor if they are following through with all the information they received. Privacy laws in the EU prevent customer data being freely distributable so they will claim their hands are tied, they will give out random figures about how many users are being banned, how well this campaign is doing etc. Eircom is a company notorious for being slippery about things like this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Atleast somebody has sense here,
    People will try and twist it all they want but it does not change the very fact its illegal. There's nothing wrong with stating this fact.

Sure alot of people do it but that does not make it ok and ISP's and the music industry are allowed to protect themselfs and enforce the laws, they are doing nothing wrong

Hang on, its not just your business if you are breaking the law,
    which would you prefer
    1. eircom warning people under new system
    2. Gardai tracking people down and using the full force of the law to prosecute under copyright infringement?

If you break the law the people affected have the right to try and stop you and as a tax payer I;d rather eircom terminate your account then you waste Gardai time and resources due to your inability to realise that your breaking the law..ignorance is NOT an excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Trying to get people to pay for music is what i was refering to. They would have been better of trying to prevent manufacture of ANY device capable of playing compressed audio.

Why should companys have to introduce DRM on devices which would hamper the use of my ripped CD's that I own to a media device just because some people are too thick to realise that downloading music thats copyright is illegal if they do not have the permission to do so.

Why should I suffer due to these idiots?...bottom line is I shouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

That is not how the major p2p network monitors get IP addresses. Believe it or not, they believe they are acting ethically. I wish I could find a link but you will see if you look it up that they actually have to peer with you to log an IP. Simply being a member of the swarm is not enough to prove you are actually throughputting the relevant file pieces. PeerGuardian would be enough if it was up to date.
    Some do this, some don't. PeerGuardian by the very nature of its publicly-maintained filter lists is massively open to abuse in any case.

http://www.p2p-blog.com/?itemid=686
    http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
    TheDeficit wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me why Eircom would agree to this, what do they stand to gain?
    They save themselves a packet in lawsuits. Despite the fact that they are simply the provider and - in other jurisdictions - can't be held accountable for what someone does with their tool...much like the ESB can't be held accountable for someone using their electricity to power the tools with which they make a bomb. However standing up to the labels and contesting this in court will cost them a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TheDeficit wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me why Eircom would agree to this, what do they stand to gain? I read that they actually used to advertise on some of the torrent sites. What a joke. Anyway, all i need to know is will newsgroups be targeted cause I'm never going to stop downloading.

Anything could be a target. eircom isn't monitoring or gathering IPs. The 3rd party experts that the Rights holders employ will.

eircom potentially saves millions in not installing monitoring equipment that would slow the network and give a huge amount of false positives (legal P2P such as Sky, BBC, Linux distros) and miss encrypted traffic.

eircom has to do very little and can produce statistics of how successful it is as the top P2P illegal users may be 80% to 90% of traffic and the IPs given by rights holders if they match these very high users (200Gbyte a month and more), then eircom can disconnect them ANYWAY, under FUP T&C after 3 warnings.

Eircom could disconnect these users now, legally with no external report.

No doubt the Rights holders' agents will use as many means possible to identify IPs for any kind of copyright infringement.

Separate arrangements are already in place for YouTube and similar streaming sites.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The story's on the Inquirer this morning, they're being fairly blunt about it

Eircom betrays its subscribers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

haven't read the whole thread but just a question. are Eircom monitoring the IPaddresses of their clients and passing this information on to a third party for possible prosecution? if so would that not be a breach of the data protection act?

i recall an article by Google where they spoke to the data protection commissioner in Ireland and he (Hawkins) said that he considers IP addresses linked to customer accounts as personal information.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dade wrote: »
    haven't read the whole thread but just a question. are Eircom monitoring the IPaddresses of their clients and passing this information on to a third party for possible prosecution? if so would that not be a breach of the data protection act?

i recall an article by Google where they spoke to the data protection commissioner in Ireland and he (Hawkins) said that he considers IP addresses linked to customer accounts as personal information.

There's no prosecution, and no passing of personal info.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Essential reading on the subject.
    http://www.futureofmusic.org/contractcrit.cfm
    http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/index.html

Thats what you are deadling with, people who leech the artists for everything they have got, their name, image, ownership and royalties.

Surely I cannot be the only one to see the irony in quoting examples of artists being ripped off as a justification to continue ripping them off while enjoying the music they produce and being self righteous about it?

''You get a lousy deal from your management and I will enjoy your music for nothing while giving out about your lousy management ripping you off!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Spear wrote: »
    There's no prosecution, and no passing of personal info.

ah right so someone informs Eircom of your IP, the investiagte and cut you off if required. got it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 vengeancepuppy

dade wrote: »
    ah right so someone informs Eircom of your IP, the investigate and cut you off if required. got it

I doubt they will investigate you, they will most likely either ignore the someone informing them, or, if you take up a lot of bandwidth, just cut you off. You're not gonna go against them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So after reading 32 pages of this tread here is what I get out of it.
    U2 manager McGuinness thinks that illegal downloads are bad for his Netherlands based business (and hence not paying taxes in Ireland) so he and others come together to form a cartel to stop Irish people from downloading illegal content.

That ISP does not have the money and technical ability to implement a system that allows them to monitor illegal downloads so they try to think of a way to make this easier for both ISP and Music Industries.

So the Industry takes the ISP to court and as outcome Eircom agrees to do the dirty work for the Music Industry.

To get around the tricky privacy law’s of Ireland and to eliminate any attempt by the suspected illegal downloader to demand proof that s/he downloaded or that there is actually a damage that was done to the Music Industry they come up with a change to the T&C of the ISP and call it a compromise.

So now the Music Industry pretends to make content available to get suspected illegal downloader’s so that they can get their IP’s. They then give this IP to Eircom who warns the suspected illegal downloader 3 times and then cuts the service off if the Music Industry reports him 3 times.

So a never happened act (because the file was never really available and even if it was there it was legal shared because otherwise Eircom would have to cut off the Music Industries Internet too) results into the ISP to cut you off.

Enraged ISP customers try to discuss ways around this (for whatever reason) and because the wonderful liable laws of Ireland they can’t do that in a public forum because the boards owner might get sued by the Music Industry. Free speech is just a concept in this country.

So the greed of the music industry aided by the incompetence of Eircom results in a discussion about net neutrality.

So as a next step the Irish TV companies that hold rights to US television shows are going after Eircom to ensure that nobody downloads shows from certain websites because that infringes their rights to show them 12-24 month after they have been shown in the US.

And just because P2P is slowly been replaced by file hosting services the next is that fake download links from those sites are also going to be given to Eircom for disconnecting.

And as internet is not a guaranteed right (or is it) nobody can do anything if you get disconnected for something you might not even have done.

The thought of a fair trial if you are accused of something has just gone out of the window due to 2 private organisations making an out of court settlement. Yes you can now be punished for something you might not even have done just because someone says so.

Now you bet that I’m not going down to the shop to buy the next U2 album (nor am I going to download it).

So what I continue to do is to listen to music online with a receiver from tobit which allows me to play music on demand in high quality. And because of the wonderfull laws in some countries that is actualy perfectly legal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement