Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Eircom to cut off Music File Sharers ..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

telemakus wrote: »
    The only people it seems intent on fiddling with my internet connection! And stealing my personal details would be IMRO and Eircom!!!

Despite it being said many, many times in this long thread, you still fail to understand. IMRO will NOT have access to your personal details. Eircom, if you are a customer, will already have your details.

I think its time to stop feeding the trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

Cabaal
    you missed my point, but If you think the biggest reason for ppl buying broadband in ireland is for work and online gaming, you must be kidding,

Yes I use it for online gaming also,
    hmm, think of all the teens etc that get laptops at christmas, they dont just buy it for bebo/facebook

sure ill download a few songs off LW , what harm will it do, thats everyones tought,

Take my point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

your supposed to create music for the love of creating it Mr Brewer!

Indeed, however I doubt your point isn't without a hint of irony.

To record it properly to a high standard costs. I'm not talking hobbyists I'm talking serious artists.

If you want a world class producer/engineer/band/studio bills must be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    There's also another element to Illegal Downloading apart from the direct income loss.

If one can't make money from recording then ...... why record?

And even if one does want to record (as a Musical Calling Card for example, effectively what singles are ) then where does one do it?

Basic stuff can be done at home - but for anything complex a studio is needed, but they're closing all the time due to lack of business.

The likely effect of no Album sales will eventually be ...............No Albums.

Classic Rock stations 24/7 anyone? 'Don't stop believin' ..............ad infinitum"
    People record to advetise their music. If they don't record, then nobody will ever hear about them... and who's gonna go to a concert to see somebody that they never heard before?? Exactly.

akenny01 wrote: »
    Cabaal

sure ill download a few songs off LW , what harm will it do, thats everyones tought,

Sure if everyone did that, what harm would it do? $69 Billion thats what!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telemakus

dub45 wrote: »
    And who laid down this edict pray tell us?

Dylan, the stones, the Beatles, (Lennon AND McCartney, harrison and Starr) Nirvana, Foo FIghters, Bonjovi, (believe it or not) - I could go on and on!

Actually, other than Lars from metallica (who has since changed his tune) and yourself i dont know anyone that does NOT follow that edict, or at least pretends to!!!

But I understand that Celine Dions Accountants did share your views, but Celine herself said she enjoys making music for the thrill of making music and that the rewards are secondary! SO, even the most money grabbing of artistes share my edict!

But i see your marketing niche there!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Indeed, however I doubt your point isn't without a hint of irony.

To record it properly to a high standard costs. I'm not talking hobbyists I'm talking serious artists.

If you want a world class producer/engineer/band/studio bills must be paid.

Not to mention the occasional sandwich for the musician to feed his love of the music.

Dave Douglas, a well known jazz trumpeter, http://www.davedouglas.com/
    told a story in an interview a while ago of a guy who came up to him with a cdr of one of his albums and asked him to autograph it!!! Needless to say Mr. Douglas was not impressed!.

Cabaal
    you missed my point, but If you think the biggest reason for ppl buying broadband in ireland is for work and online gaming, you must be kidding,

Yes I use it for online gaming also,
    hmm, think of all the teens etc that get laptops at christmas, they dont just buy it for bebo/facebook

Take my point :)
    You may as well take it IF you are older than say..... 22..ish. Coz it is likely that peers of above that age have no idea of the scale that teens download. I'm 20 and in college, and people are even downloding in lectures!! Why? because 1) there's more bandwith in college, and 2) it's late and i forget.

People record to advetise their music. If they don't record, then nobody will ever hear about them... and who's gonna go to a concert to see somebody that they never heard before?? Exactly.

Unregistered - are you anyway involved in music? Or have any idea how the music business operates?

Anyway, I'm taking the Thread Off Topic for which I apologise.

The Criminals will always find away to excuse their crimes.

Back to Eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

I didnt say its my tought, I said its what they thing,
    ' the people buying broadband for it ' its a disgrace
    any to be honest, they wont stop it what ever they try unless they shut down the internet lol, there is always be a way,

and if you dont agree, then you just dont know the power of it

• Advertisement

any to be honest, they wont stop it what ever they try unless they shut down the internet lol, there is always be a way,

well said akenny01 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

Can someone please tell me why Eircom would agree to this, what do they stand to gain? I read that they actually used to advertise on some of the torrent sites. What a joke. Anyway, all i need to know is will newsgroups be targeted cause I'm never going to stop downloading.

Unregistered - are you anyway involved in music? Or have any idea how the music business operates?
    YES! and before you go patronising, wake up and realise that the way the music industry operates will have to change or those greddy bigwigs are just gonna lose mo and mo money! If you think that they can do anything to minisculely reverse the numbers of people filesharing in the furture - then you need to open your eyes. There was always a sense of inevitability about this, the technology was out there so it had to happen! And technology rarely takes a step backwards.

A witty riposte from Akenny - even allowing for dreadful spelling and grammar.

The Internet is no longer the freeform network it once was. The likes of Google and specifically Apple, regarding this thread , now have powers to shape the net and what's on it.

You may remember the the above mentioned Google censoring China's access to information at least for a while.

Might I respectfully suggest it is you who 'dont know the power of it'

And technology rarely takes a step backwards.

Clamping down on thieves will be a Technological step FORWARD ...

Anyway I won't be stepping out of the warm confines of the Music Prod Forum again for a while - Goodnight to you all!

Trying to get people to pay for music is what i was refering to. They would have been better of trying to prevent manufacture of ANY device capable of playing compressed audio. I mean - who records there own music, at home, in an MP3 file format?
    If there were no devices to compressed audio, then things would be different (as bandwidth would somewhat hinder transferring whole CD's, but not eliminate it)

A witty riposte from Akenny - even allowing for dreadful spelling and grammar.

The Internet is no longer the freeform network it once was. The likes of Google and specifically Apple, regarding this thread , now have powers to shape the net and what's on it.

You may remember the the above mentioned Google censoring China's access to information.

Might I respectfully suggest it is you who 'dont know the power of it'

Im sorry Paul Brewer, you cant respectfully talk to people like that!! Google did censor china and if we dont want IMRO and their like and mindset, to do that to us! We need to do something simple! DISAGREE with them. Thats all.

Calling people Sad, stupid, whatever, pointing out bad grammar (you've made typos as well) is not going to do anything good at all. It says more about you than the person your mocking!

Im sorry Paul Brewer, you cant respectfully talk to people like that

You'd prefer I disrespectfully spoke? Once I'm civil and obey Charter rules I and you, can say what I like!

Excuse my Typos...

You'd prefer I disrespectfully spoke?

Excuse my Typos!
    You are mean. :mad:

• Advertisement

You are mean. :mad:

One plays the game to win! I'm off to bed .... see yez

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭big_show

rapidshare, zshare etc. FTW

if that constitutes a win paulbrewer you are the General of a very small and insignificant army!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Am I a thief if I listen to music on youtube and other streaming sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

dub45 wrote: »
    A hammer is not an illegal instrument. What you do with it may be illegal. These tools are neutral just as limewire is and so on. The use they are put to is what matters.

And as for 'punishing' people. Attempting to protect copyrighted material is now punishment for people?

The same applies to internet access. It's a tool and Eircom cannot be responsible for what people do with it anymore than a hardware store can be responsible for what I use a hammer for. If Eircom had continued with the case they would have won as has happened in other jurisdictions - they cannot be responsible for what I do.

And to DeV - the libel law argument is totally different - Boards.ie is the publisher of articles (posts) and can be held responsible for what I say - **** law I agree and needs to be changed but that's what it is right now.

But when I'm paying for a service to an ISP what I do with that service is my responsibility. They can quote their T&Cs all they like - if they catch me downloading illegally fine - but to accept an accusation from a third party with no right of appeal, no right of defence, not even a right to face your accuser, is wrong and would not stand up in any court of law. It's the equivalent of somebody up the street calling the local council and saying that I put my household rubbish in their bin to avoid paying my own bin charge. The council would not take that at face value - they would inspect the rubbish and if, and only if, they found something belonging to me (a bill/letter etc) would they take any action. They certainly wouldn't simply accept the word of a third party without corroborating evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thats a funny post in this thread:pac:

Macros42 wrote: »
    The same applies to internet access. It's a tool and Eircom cannot be responsible for what people do with it anymore than a hardware store can be responsible for what I use a hammer for. If Eircom had continued with the case they would have won as has happened in other jurisdictions - they cannot be responsible for what I do.

And to DeV - the libel law argument is totally different - Boards.ie is the publisher of articles (posts) and can be held responsible for what I say - **** law I agree and needs to be changed but that's what it is right now.

But when I'm paying for a service to an ISP what I do with that service is my responsibility. They can quote their T&Cs all they like - if they catch me downloading illegally fine - but to accept an accusation from a third party with no right of appeal, no right of defence, not even a right to face your accuser, is wrong and would not stand up in any court of law. It's the equivalent of somebody up the street calling the local council and saying that I put my household rubbish in their bin to avoid paying my own bin charge. The council would not take that at face value - they would inspect the rubbish and if, and only if, they found something belonging to me (a bill/letter etc) would they take any action. They certainly wouldn't simply accept the word of a third party without corroborating evidence.

I applaud your post! I agree!

At the expense of your audience!!

TECHNICALLY you are correct! But in reality its not how things work. Communism on paper is a great idea. In practice...epic Misery!

Moderator or not, i disagree absolutely!

Why are moderators, pushing THEIR view, which amazingly, agrees and is on message with the record companies on this, i find that interesting.

Because it's the law! It's called copyright law - trying googling it. :rolleyes:

I'm not, and neither is Cabaal, on a high horse here - I'm no innocent when it comes to downloading movies/music/tv shows and I'm not alone. But don't try to dress it up in something it's not - it is illegal. If you can't see that then I despair for you. You can use all the justifications you like - you're still breaking the law when you download copyrighted material - and if you're using P2P then you're break the law twice - once for downloading and once for distributing.

• Advertisement

AntiRip wrote: »
    It's true what the previous poster said above about mods here. I'm not trying or twist anything. I'm not saying it's not illegal or anything. Lets leave it at that.
    I'm going to say right here that the mods have been very, very lenient so far and fair play to them. There have been a lot of borderline posts which have been let slide for the sake of the thread continuing.

Regardless of what you and the previous poster said they are not in the employ of the record companies or pushing the record companies agends - they are just posters like you and me with opinions of their own and they have made very valid comments. I'm sure if you asked nicely they could actually moderate this thread strictly - but then it would drop to about 50% of the current size. But I would suggest that you read their posts more carefully - because as far as I can see they have not said anything inaccurate so far - I've differed in opinion with them occasionally but when it comes to facts they have not been wrong. You really need to understand the difference between fact and opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement