Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placement or student exchange in Media Arts.

Options
  • 17-01-2009 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was just wondering from anybody here who had done the media arts course if there is a work placement involved , or anybody taken the student exchange option. The prospectus is a bit inconclusive with a lack of info . I was also wondering has anybody out of this degree managed to get jobs while they were doing it in ardmore or in other jobs related to the course, or even got employed in the media sector after graduation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Girlfriend has a media degree from another college and a few of them have good jobs afterwards, but on a kind of free agent basis (i.e. instead of having perm. contracts they sign contracts based on projects). Seems like a great life they have though. I can imagine over the next few years it'll be rough though

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

Then again what industry wont be rough besides it'll be 2013 by the time i'll be out things should be totally different then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I have a good few friends in the course at the moment. 2 of them are going to America this simester and one is just back from France. They basicly just did a term of college abroad rather then a whole year.

thats really cool thanks because i couldnt find it in the prosectus and it was college abroad not a work placement cheers

does anyone know where i could my hands on the list of modules done in the course or how much of the arts and language side of things are done

oh and another thing does dit have its own raio station because all i could find was one that existed 3 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Flinter08/09

Firstly the radio question, every year on the run up to xmas DIT fm is launched and run by students! It's a form of assignment for as far as I know for Media Arts and Journalism students. I done an interview on the lunch time show and I was amazed at the amount of equipment and how professional the students really were. Looks like a great course and any student I have been talking to says they really enjoy it!!

As for finding out info on the modules ran through out the year if you log on to the DIT homepage and click on the studying at DIT link it will bring you to the under graduate page where you can search all the courses offered by DIT. Once you click on them it gives you a brief of all the modules covered over the various years!!

And heres the link

This is the link http://www.dit.ie/study/undergraduate/az/

so which is better the dcu or dit course
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055465483

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Flinter08/09

Well I would say DIT as I have been there for a number of years! All the students realy like the course and it takes a practical hands on approach! There are a number of DIT students in the workplace now and doing quite well! DIT has a reputation for networking within the workplace not to mention the connections!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Don't do Media Arts its rubbish. Plus what am I going to be when I graduate, a famous director? More like I'll be running around rte getting doughnuts for Gerry Ryan.

thats inspiring to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

disssco wrote: »
    Don't do Media Arts its rubbish. Plus what am I going to be when I graduate, a famous director? More like I'll be running around rte getting doughnuts for Gerry Ryan.

Quite a cynical outlook but hey look at the world around us. Where will we all end up. People are lucky to get any job. Reading your thread I understand you might be a bit disheartened as a result of the exams, as am I, but that should not discourage you. I know the exams get to us wether we admit it or not.

I have not done media arts in DIT but as I said I have a lot of friends in the course and if I were to pick any other course other then the one Im doing right now it would probably be media arts. I didnt know about it when doing my leaving cert and only found out about it by talking to people in the course and looking at their projects.

It seems like a well balanced course with some really fun modules and if you cant get a job in the industry then hey theres alway teaching. It is based with a language so you can teach that language as well as other aspects of the course. I wouldnt turn my nose at that either. 5 months holidays and thats plenty of time off to try and get work in the industry.

thanks very much great advice. I live about as far away as i could from dublin while still being in the country so will go up and have a good look at the college and whats the story up there

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I didn't mean to say Media Arts was rubbish, less still to put anyone off doing it. It really is quite a good course.

I just don't have an interest in the media. Films and such are more of a casual hobby of mine, not even a hobby more a thing to watch when I've nothing else to do. I never watch the news or read papers. I have zero interest in it. For someone who is interested I imagine it would be great.

Advertisement