Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip for buying Ryanair Flights

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

This may be handy if you want to stick Ryanair for a few quid :D. It will only work if your flights that finish close to a multiple of €25 though.

"The airline charges 10 euro per person when booking flights by credit/debit card . There is a way around it though.

If you buy Ryanair vouchers on the website (very easy process) and then use the vouchers to buy your flights no extra charges for using your card,

When you buy the vouchers - You get the code immediately and then you just use that to pay for your flights therefore dodging the extra charges for use of debit"

Terms and Conditions.
    "Vouchers can only be redeemed on www.ryanair.com.
    Gift vouchers must be redeemed within 6 months (186 days) of the voucher issue date after which date the voucher becomes void.
    The validity of the vouchers cannot be extended.
    Vouchers are issued in denominations of €25/€50 or local currency equivalent.
    If a voucher is partially redeemed the remaining balance is non-refundable.
    Vouchers are only valid for the person named as the voucher recipient.
    A maximum of 4 vouchers can be used to purchase a flight. If the total amount of ticket price exceeds the value of the voucher(s) any price difference must be paid by credit or/debit card.
    Vouchers are only valid for the payment of Ryanair flights and any associated taxes, fees and charges.
    Redemption of gift vouchers in a different currency from the issuing currency will be subject to foreign currency conversion rate at the time of booking."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

thats a great idea:D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

'Vouchers are only valid for the person named as the voucher recipient.'

Sounds Good.

One question.
    If I book a flight for 2 people can the voucher be usd for payent for both peoples flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It looks like it as it specifies that the name on the voucher must be the name of the lead passenger.

Partially used vouchers are non-refundable. I think that is the catch. I suspect that any purchase no matter how small will cost you a whole voucher. Could be costly if I'm right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

any price difference must be paid by credit or/debit card

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Another way to avoid Credit card charges is to use the Entropay credit card, is a Visa Electron so no credit card charges at all with Ryanair. You need to top up your account with your own credit card and I think you can also do a bank transfer they do charge small commision for the the top-up.

To avoid the charge on the registration you must select as currency GBP if you use EUR it will be a standard credit card.

They might ask you for a copy or credit card and/or passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

thread of the year by the OP

Jesper wrote: »
    This may be handy if you want to stick Ryanair for a few quid :D. It will only work if your flights that finish close to a multiple of €25 though.

"The airline charges 10 euro per person when booking flights by credit/debit card . There is a way around it though.

If you buy Ryanair vouchers on the website (very easy process) and then use the vouchers to buy your flights no extra charges for using your card,

When you buy the vouchers - You get the code immediately and then you just use that to pay for your flights therefore dodging the extra charges for use of debit"

Terms and Conditions.
    "Vouchers can only be redeemed on www.ryanair.com.
    Gift vouchers must be redeemed within 6 months (186 days) of the voucher issue date after which date the voucher becomes void.
    The validity of the vouchers cannot be extended.
    Vouchers are issued in denominations of €25/€50 or local currency equivalent.
    If a voucher is partially redeemed the remaining balance is non-refundable.
    Vouchers are only valid for the person named as the voucher recipient.
    A maximum of 4 vouchers can be used to purchase a flight. If the total amount of ticket price exceeds the value of the voucher(s) any price difference must be paid by credit or/debit card.
    Vouchers are only valid for the payment of Ryanair flights and any associated taxes, fees and charges.
    Redemption of gift vouchers in a different currency from the issuing currency will be subject to foreign currency conversion rate at the time of booking."

With the above can I use a €25 voucher to partly pay a €228 trip for 4 people and not get charge any Credit card charges for the remaining
    €203? or should I get a voucher for €200?

nava wrote: »
    With the above can I use a €25 voucher to partly pay a €228 trip for 4 people and not get charge any Credit card charges for the remaining

Hmmmmm

idiot of the year

Comments like that keep them to yourself.

Are you serious? This is Ryanair we are talking about not St.Vincent de Paul, of course they are going to levy the credit charge. I'd lay good money that if you paid €225 in vouchers they would still nail you for the credit card charge on the remaining €3.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote: »
    Are you serious? This is Ryanair we are talking about not St.Vincent de Paul, of course they are going to levy the credit charge. I'd lay good money that if you paid €225 in vouchers they would still nail you for the credit card charge on the remaining €3.

that, and the maximum of 4 vouchers per flight

Hagar wrote: »

Sorry, I understand they will charge the remaning €203 to the credit card as usual. I'm talking about the credit card charges (fees for using a credit card).

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

You always have to use vouchers worth more than the price of the flights. You must not pay for any part of your flight (directly) with your credit card as you will have to pay the fee. Perhaps an example or two..

If your flight costs €201, you'd have to buy vouchers worth €225. In this case you'd lose €24 worth of vouchers but would save the credit card fee(say €10 - €5 per flight per passenger). A net loss of €14.

If your flight costs €224, you'd have to buy vouchers worth €225. In this case you'd lose €1 worth of vouchers but would save the credit card fee(say €10 - €5 per flight per passenger). A net saving of €9.

You always have to use vouchers worth more than the price of the flights. You must not pay for any part of your flight (directly) with your credit card as you will have to pay the fee. Perhaps an example or two..

If your flight costs €201, you'd have to buy vouchers worth €225. In this case you'd lose €24 worth of vouchers but would save the credit card fee(say €10 - €5 per flight per passenger). A net loss of €14.

If your flight costs €224, you'd have to buy vouchers worth €225. In this case you'd lose €1 worth of vouchers but would save the credit card fee(say €10 - €5 per flight per passenger). A net saving of €9.

Thanks Understood.

Handy in some cases but Entropay might be best option.

Sorry, I understand they will charge the remaning €203 to the credit card as usual. I'm talking about the credit card charges (fees for using a credit card).
    Once you use a credit card for any amount you will incur the Rynair credit card charge so you will pay the balance plus the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

the groutch..

Keep the snide comments to yourself or you'll be taking a holiday from this forum.

And don't think editing the post will do you any favours,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

On the vouchers, this was covered on Liveline

In summary, get the lowest possible denomination vouchers, as there is NO CHANGE OR REFUND given

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Awesome post. I got my mom and my bro vouchers for christmas. Never though of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I think buying Ryanair vouchers is a very bad idea.

Unless the total price payable is exactly the value of the voucher(s), you're guaranteed to have to pay more. And that's subject to credit / debit card fees, of course.

Entropay is the best, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Can you use 3v vouchers on Ryanair and is there a charge levied does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Arcee wrote: »
    Can you use 3v vouchers on Ryanair and is there a charge levied does anyone know?

Yes. Charges are same as a regular Visa card.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Why not use a combination of the voucher trick and Entropay?

Would that not be perfect as it avoids Entropay's weak point of not working for more expensive flights?

So, flights cost 214e total, buy 200e in vouchers, pay the rest of with Entropay and don't incure CC charges. Or am I missing something?

Would that not be perfect as it avoids Entropay's weak point of not working for more expensive flights?

So, flights cost 214e total, buy 200e in vouchers, pay the rest of with Entropay and don't incure CC charges. Or am I missing something?

I agree. This would work out the best financially.

I wonder how long it'll be before Ryanair figure it out and stop us from doing it though.

Still might get a few uses out of it, still have to pay ridiculous baggage rates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Very good point Take The Veil - The power of boards brain storming. ;)
    Can you make a payment with a combination of EUR vouchers and GBP Entropay card? ie one payment 2 curriencies
    Although I could see O'Leary on the case to chage the rules if it is going to cost him.

ROVER wrote: »
    Very good point Take The Veil - The power of boards brain storming. ;)
    Can you make a payment with a combination of EUR vouchers and GBP Entropay card? ie one payment 2 curriencies

Or can you get vouchers in GBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

It wouldn't be one payment in two currencies though. The currency of your card doesn't come it when you buy something afaik - your charged in the currency the transaction is completed in and your CC company in turn bills you based on current exchange rates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

possible downside is that if something goies wrong with the payment on the RA website, you lose the fact the cr card company will take your cause if you dispute the purchase, check the Conusmer Issues forum and you'll see examples of double charges coming from your cr card on occassion, your only course to get a refund is to telephone the internet helpline (premium rate), however if you purchase via cr card you just get the cr card company to do the dirty work.
    I doubt you'll get cr card company support if you use a voucher

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

benifa wrote: »
    I think buying Ryanair vouchers is a very bad idea.

Unless the total price payable is exactly the value of the voucher(s), you're guaranteed to have to pay more. And that's subject to credit / debit card fees, of course.

I agree with this.
    Ryanair vouchers are not a good purchase, never mind a bargain alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Its a bit more difficult for them to double charge you if you use a voucher though too of course :)

Advertisement