Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip for buying Ryanair Flights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

on a related subject,

a few weeks ago I was booking a car abroad vis hert/ryanair. the price came up in sterling, because my computer was cliked on to uk. rechecked it as ireland ,80 euro dearer. so went and paid sterling. from memory 246 stg equals 270,but was 330 euro as ireland user .

regards,rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Ingenious thread. When Ml O'L will surely find a way around it so better get in while we still can!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Hey,

I'm looking to book 4 flights... figured out flying through frankfurt was cheaper than flying direct.
    So I realise that I can book 2 at a time by getting return flights but is there a way to pay for both return flights together, if I can do that then the total will come to 97.81.

I believe it's €5 per flight per person so the fee would come to €20. By paying with vouchers I could get away with only paying €100. ;)

If paying each return flight separately:
    A-B-A would work out ~60
    B-C-B would work out ~40
    ...so not much use in terms of using vouchers.

So does anyone know if it's possible to pay for 2 return flights in one payment?

I hope this makes sense!

Here's the individual flight prices:

Outbound: A -> B = 39.36 B -> C = 15.29

Return: C -> B = 23.08 B -> A = 20.08

Now I'm thinking, if I book for 3 people:
    39.36 x 3 = 118.08 ~ 125 => 6.92 extra
    15.29 x 3 = 45.87 ~ 50 => 4.13 extra
    23.08 x 3 = 69.24 ~ 75 => 5.76 extra
    20.08 x 3 = 60.24 ~ 75 => 14.76 extra

Total extra is 31.57 instead of 60. Not a bad alternative. Save about 10 each.

And is there absolutely no extra fee when purchasing vouchers?

Thanks a lot!

Hang on a minute...

From https://www.bookryanair.com/SkySales/VoucherIssuance.aspx?culture=EN-IE&lc=EN-IE

There is a €5/£5 (or local currency equivalent) handling fee for processing the purchase of gift vouchers.

So isnt this the very same as using your credit card??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

As already noted, they've copped on to the voucher thing but as far as I can see it's still only €5 for a voucher whereas a credit card will have €5 each way per person added on.

I'd still like to know when they introduced the voucher handling fee though

• Advertisement

So it could be still worth it, €5 as opposed to €30 for booking return flights for 3 people...
    as long as the total is close to a multiple of 25 of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

I have used vouchers alot to avoid charges and noted last week the €5 handling fee. I was buying 2 flights total cost €24 so I bought 1 €25 vocucher.
    my question is if I had to buy 2 or more couchers would the fee still be €5?

eg if I bought 3 vouchers would it have been €5x 3= €15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Best tip i can give is NEVER EVER give anyone ryanair vouchers.
    I did this and it ended up costing them a lot more money and time to use them.
    Embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭throwingmuses

Can't believe he's charging now. Unreal. It should be illegal to charge for the purchase of gift vouchers. I know it's still possible to save money with them but he never ceases to amaze me the neck of him..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

is it true that they are making it compulsory in the next few months to take out travel insurance with them when booking a flight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

glic83 wrote: »
    is it true that they are making it compulsory in the next few months to take out travel insurance with them when booking a flight

Not a chance they can force you to do other things buit there is no way they can force you to take travel insurance with them.

I despise these Ryanair cu*ts, and i have to fly with them in a few hours:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Westdogg

In relation to the vouchers - don't forget that Ryanair charge €5 to but those also. Just something to add into any calculations.

Also in relation to the questin regarding buying the vouchers in other currencies. The T & C's state "There is a €5/£5 (or local currency equivalent) handling fee for processing the purchase of gift vouchers.".

To my mind, this seems to say that you will be charged whatever €5 is worth in the alternate currency. Anyone tried this to see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

glic83 wrote: »

I think everyone was confused by the statement Ryanair put out regarding Travel Insurance. From what I've read, the statement said that you would have to opt-in rather than opt out of buying insurance., not that it was to compulsory to buy. Their system used to automatically tick the box to add insurance to your trip.

jonny68 wrote: »
    Not a chance they can force you to do other things buit there is no way they can force you to take travel insurance with them.

I despise these Ryanair cu*ts, and i have to fly with them in a few hours:mad:
    I dont get why people despise them so much... still hands down the cheapest airline to get you from A to B. It'd be great if they could just plainly state what the price of the flight is without adding in little bits everywhere they can, but when you work it out and it's the cheapest option available... then why complain!

I always fly with them and until I find a flight to be cheaper elsewhere then I will continue to do so...

greened wrote: »
    I have used vouchers alot to avoid charges and noted last week the €5 handling fee. I was buying 2 flights total cost €24 so I bought 1 €25 vocucher.
    my question is if I had to buy 2 or more couchers would the fee still be €5?

eg if I bought 3 vouchers would it have been €5x 3= €15?
    In relation to purchasing multiple vouchers:

If you select €200 then you get 4 x €50 vouchers and the total price will be €205.
    It is a handling fee per transaction, not per voucher.
    However, the maximum value you can purchase is €200, so if you need more than that then you will have to make another transaction and pay another €5.

Also, you cant really say the price must be close to a multiple of 25. The denominations are 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200... so not much use if the flights are 175, you'd have to make 2 transactions for vouchers costing you €10 extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

M450 wrote: »
    I dont get why people despise them so much... still hands down the cheapest airline to get you from A to B. It'd be great if they could just plainly state what the price of the flight is without adding in little bits everywhere they can, but when you work it out and it's the cheapest option available... then why complain!

I always fly with them and until I find a flight to be cheaper elsewhere then I will continue to do so...

If you'd had the nightmare experiences with them that ive had then you wouod think differently (45 mins late again last nite as well:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

thanks.

Just in relation to Ryanair vouchers and the fact that the rest of your voucher is void once you have used it if you have anything left over. I got onto the National Consumer Agency as I thought this had to be illegal in some way. However, as this is a product, similar to any good you can buy, they do not fall foul of any legislation if they have clear terms and conditions. Here is the answer I got back from the NCA:

Thank you for contacting the National Consumer Agency (NCA) with your query regarding Ryanair.

Just in response to our telephone conversation earlier, I have confirmed with our quality team that there would be no breach of legislation by Ryanair.

Vouchers are similar in terms to a contract and as such certain conditions can be attached. In this instance it would be up to the consumer to accept or reject the terms and conditions.

Further information on vouchers can be found on our website: http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Gift-vouchers/

Goddamn O' Leary and his cunning....

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Ryanair haas another one of its 1 pound flights offers on. The problem is when i try to get one of the special offer flights it always puts taxes onto the irish outbound leg.

Is this the new government tariff or just a bug?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Base

No bug, it is indeed the Irish Government travel tax which they seem to be refusing to absorb at the moment as a matter of principle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

transylman wrote: »
    Ryanair haas another one of its 1 pound flights offers on. The problem is when i try to get one of the special offer flights it always puts taxes onto the irish outbound leg.

On the site all the routes display that they will be €11 rather than €1, unless they are closer in which case they are €3. So they're not even being advertised as €1. They are £1 in england since they don't have the tarrif.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

England have had a £10 tariff for a few years now for any planes leaving the country. It's just that ryanair decided to absorb it whenever they did those £1 deals.

Strange that they don't do similar for Ireland, they must be trying to force a reverse of the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

I booked flights last week with my entro card and had a balance left on card of just over 2 pounds after payment. Just checked my balance and its showing 0.00? Why is this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

CFC007 wrote: »
    I booked flights last week with my entro card and had a balance left on card of just over 2 pounds after payment. Just checked my balance and its showing 0.00? Why is this?

Best will be to check their website, the only reason I can think for that is that you paid in EUR for the trip so when they took the money from the account was an estimation maybe it does take a couple of days for them to take the exact amount of the trip from your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

dont

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

ROVER wrote: »
    Very good point Take The Veil - The power of boards brain storming. ;)

Yep, great thread.
    Although I could see O'Leary on the case to chage the rules if it is going to cost him.

He might not, he is making a bloody fortune on the charge per user level, the cc companies don't charge him per user when the cc is used for several peoples flights at the same time.

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 34 edgars

yes entropay is the best option but remember to set up in sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

edgars wrote: »
    yes entropay is the best option but remember to set up in sterling.

Not always, see sig

Advertisement