Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wishbone, i dont suppose you have any old photos of donnycarney?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Wow some great pics there, I was only a nipper when they were ripping down most of those old tenement houses but I showed my mother the thread, she loved it.,:)

Anyone got any more pics? I'll raid through the parents ones when i get a chance and scan some up.,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Wow some great pics there, I was only a nipper when they were ripping down most of those old tenement houses but I showed my mother the thread, she loved it.,:)

Anyone got any more pics? I'll raid through the parents ones when i get a chance and scan some up.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think the marathon pic is looking north up Harcourt St.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

wishbone, i dont suppose you have any old photos of donnycarney?
    Afraid not admiral.

latenia wrote: »
    Possibly. I presumed it was around Merrion Square but it just doesn't look right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

latenia wrote: »

That's what I was thinking too, if it lends any credence to it

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Ste.phen wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking too, if it lends any credence to it

Could that be Harcourt Tce garda station just out of picture to the right of the pic?

(That sounds wonky but y'know what I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    Could that be Harcourt Tce garda station just out of picture to the right of the pic?

(That sounds wonky but y'know what I mean)

To the right of that pic would be the junction of Hatch St at the old Harcourt St station (where the Luas line stops).

The bus stop is the give away!.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Hope this isn't a re-post. This is Lower Gardiner Street from the junction of Gloucester St (now Sean McDermott St) looking towards Mountjoy Square.

The year is 1929.

1929-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I came across a collection of pictures of Dublin in 1961. An American, Charles W. Cushman travelled the world for 30 years, including a visit to Dublin. When he died, he left his collection to the Indiana University, who have uploaded them. Be prepared for long loading times. I realise there's a lot of photos (and a lot of the usual suspects) but I think they're good enough to post in full size.

P12248.jpg

P12249.jpg

P12286.jpg

P12287.jpg

P12288.jpg

P12289.jpg

P12290.jpg

P12285.jpg

P12284.jpg

P12291.jpg

P12292.jpg

P12293.jpg

P12295.jpg

P12294.jpg

P12296.jpg

So, some questions: What's up with the upside down Polish flags? What is the small building in the Christchurch pictures? There are a few aerial pictures of county Dublin that I didn't post. They can be found here - http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/result.do?display=thumbcap&action=browse&query=country%3A%22Ireland%22+AND+city%3A%22Dublin%22&page=1&pagesize=20 I'm interested in them, but I can't recognise anything. Anybody able to spot some landmarks or roads? I'm interested in this one in particular - http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cushman/results/detail.do;jsessionid=BDFC3704AA535CD3C28E83E805B7A854?query=country%3A%22Ireland%22+AND+city%3A%22Dublin%22&page=1&pagesize=20&display=thumbcap&action=browse&pnum=P12231 Is it northside or southside?

Also, I had originally been searching for something else. I saw a picture in a magazine today of a round tower on College Green. It's definitely a double take picture. It's from a book called Robert L. Chapman's Ireland, a collection of amateur photographs. Anyway, it was taken during the 1932 Eucharistic Congress, where Irish symbols were placed around Dublin. I can find mention of it in google searches but no pictures. Anybody have that picture?

• Advertisement

Apparently, there's a limit to the amount of images in a post.

P12235.jpg

P12234.jpg

P12233.jpg

P12243.jpg

P12244.jpg

P12242.jpg

P12241.jpg

P12240.jpg

P12239.jpg

P12238.jpg

P12237.jpg

P12236.jpg

P12245.jpg

P12246.jpg

P12247.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed Daniel O'Connell bus surfing on O'Connell bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they are excellent, thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Very nice photos, is it just me or does Dublin look very clean in those snaps from the 60's? Good old days id say but before my time. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

it is clean, looks nice, before the "throw away society"
    no sweet wrappers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

That's the Dublin of my parents generation. Many thanks !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Beautiful pictures - I'm liking the 'fashion hoes':).

Fabulous pictures Exit. Many thanks for posting them. It's great to see the bit of colour rather that the usual austere B & W.

I presume the photographer must have stayed at The Shelbourne!

I love the old cigatettes ads, Craven A, Bendico, Players Please etc.

(When I was a child I used to think the Players Please signs were referring to George best, Johnny Giles etc. :o - the innocence of childhood).

I love seeing the old cars and those fabulous green buses. The pic of Lord Edward Street has a nice one of a Garda Car and a Tayto truck. A few P & T vans around also. Note how many vehicles have ZA plates. The registration series lasted must longer then.

The Cork Hill one is also interesting as those building on the south side are long gone replaced with Dr Barnardo Park.

spurious wrote: »
    Beautiful pictures - I'm liking the 'fashion hoes':).
    I presume that is South Great Georges Street as the Pims sign is reflected in the window.

Exit wrote: »
    What is the small building in the Christchurch pictures?
    I'm open to correction but those little buildings had something to do with the utilities electricity, gas, telephone, sewerage etc. I'm not sure which one. (Victor will probably know.)

They're still around. Here's a pic of one which on Castleforbes Road in Dublin 1

CastleforbesRoad2.jpg

Exit wrote: »
    Also, I had originally been searching for something else. I saw a picture in a magazine today of a round tower on College Green. It's definitely a double take picture. It's from a book called Robert L. Chapman's Ireland, a collection of amateur photographs. Anyway, it was taken during the 1932 Eucharistic Congress, where Irish symbols were placed around Dublin. I can find mention of it in google searches but no pictures. Anybody have that picture?
    Never let it be said...........:)

(Apologies for poor quality).

CollegeGreen25June1932.jpg

Exit wrote:
    There are a few aerial pictures of county Dublin that I didn't post. They can be found here - http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cush...=1&pagesize=20 I'm interested in them, but I can't recognise anything. Anybody able to spot some landmarks or roads?
    They are difficult to identify alright.

The first aerial one looks like Bray and could no. 6 be the old Baldoyle racetrack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Looking at Wishbones 1932 pic reminded me of something from way back when. Remember the disscussions about the lamp-post/waste bins that went on back in the thread? I'm been informed by the good people in Public Lights that those iron bases were originally used for the tramline support posts and when the tram lines were taken down the city managers decided to recycle them as lamp bases and bins.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Looking at Wishbones 1932 pic reminded me of something from way back when. Remember the disscussions about the lamp-post/waste bins that went on back in the thread? I'm been informed by the good people in Public Lights that those iron bases were originally used for the tramline support posts and when the tram lines were taken down the city managers decided to recycle them as lamp bases and bins.
    Nice one - it explains the 'narrowness' of them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

They are difficult to identify alright.

The first aerial one looks like Bray and could no. 6 be the old Baldoyle racetrack?

I agree with you, I think the first is Bray and I think the one you're interested in Exit, no. 7, could possible be looking at where Shankill is now, looking west towards Rathmichael. Given that he was flying about in that area (Bray) and looking at the terrain and satellite images on googlemaps, I think Shankill is likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Whats the purpose of the tower in the pic, where did it go Wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

This is such a spectacular thread, I came upon it by accident, and read the entire lot !

Anyway it strikes me as odd how much the world has changed in the last 6 months since the thread was started, but to all who have contributed, either photos or memories you guys are actually making history here !

Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

MercMad wrote: »
    This is such a spectacular thread, I came upon it by accident, and read the entire lot !

Anyway it strikes me as odd how much the world has changed in the last 6 months since the thread was started, but to all who have contributed, either photos or memories you guys are actually making history here !

Cheers !
    It's not written by all of us, just by Victor. History is always written by the Victors.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

gurramok wrote: »
    Whats the purpose of the tower in the pic, where did it go Wish?
    It was temporarily put there as Irish symbol for the 31st Eucharistic Congress which was hosted by Dublin in 1932. It was probably made of wood or steel. Maybe they'll put up another when we host it again in 2012. :)

http://multitext.ucc.ie/viewgallery/1208

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Great pictures of early 60s dublin life .They remind me of the John Hinde postcards from the same era of which i have a few .

Some you tube videos I made recently from various pics supplied from forum members .Some recent, some old and some perhaps more familiar than others .

Elizabathan serenade

The spanish lady

Colorado songbird

The rare ol times

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Great pics there!

Sorry to jump back a bit, just in relation to the Dublin city marathon 1986 picture:

It's definitely Harcourt St. If you look just above the B in Dublin, you can see that weird bay window on Montague St. Anybody follow me?

• Advertisement

Fletch123 wrote: »
    I agree with you, I think the first is Bray and I think the one you're interested in Exit, no. 7, could possible be looking at where Shankill is now, looking west towards Rathmichael. Given that he was flying about in that area (Bray) and looking at the terrain and satellite images on googlemaps, I think Shankill is likely.

Ah, so actually it has no interest to me. I had assumed it was north county Dublin.

Thanks for the picture Wishbone! I wouldn't worry about the quality as that was roughly the quality I'd seen it in anyway.

I also just noticed in the last picture of O'Connell Bridge, there's a garda in a box. Was he directing traffic?

Advertisement