Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current N25 Midleton bypass

• 02-01-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about this a few days ago.

I know that the current Carrigtwohill to Midleton DC (with all its median crossings) was dualled by building a new carriageway next to the old road. What about the Midleton bypass? I think it was built in the early 80s, but was it built before the Carrig - Midleton DC?

I'm surprised that in the early 80s they spent the money on a big dualler around what was then a small town. I noticed that they skimped a bit on the bridges though, around Midleton the bridges dont have hard shoulders.

Anyone got any more histories of this?? I think we need a CBRD :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

CIRD surely? ;)

BluntGuy has plans for one I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

It's a funny one.

There was a section of dual carriageway of laughable standard built from near Knockgriffin to Amgen way way back - that's the section that has the median crossings on it, including the quarry trucks. The old Cork route was through Midleton, up Knockgriffin and onto this road before snaking back into Carrigtwohill. I don't remember there being any 'old' road there.

The Midleton bypass, which goes along Waterrock, was then built, I'm guessing 1990, which stopped traffic going through the town. This was also not an old road.

It then delivered people onto the 'old' dc section, and then through Carrigtwohill.

They then bypassed Carrigtwohill as part of the work on the East Cork Parkway, afair. Part of that was along an old road, yes.

HTH, I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Cian R

is there any news on this being upgraded to motorway? or is it too old to be even considered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

One they do the N25 Carrigtwohill - Midleton scheme (Extra GSJ, remove median crossings and put in a parallel road) (and retar the Midleton bypass), then motorway is POSSIBLE from Dunkettle to the eastern end of the Midleton bypass. AFAIK theres nothing that will stop it then. Even the narrow bridges on the Midleton bypass arent the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

I've been told that the Carrigtwohill to Midleton dates from the seventies. As far as I remember the Midleton bypass opened in 1986, the Carrigtwohill bypass between 1993 and 1995, and Dunkettle to Carrigtwohill in December 1997.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Cian R wrote: »
    is there any news on this being upgraded to motorway? or is it too old to be even considered

The NRA has "no plans" for a third tranche of redesignations I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

zenith wrote: »
    It's a funny one.

There was a section of dual carriageway of laughable standard built from near Knockgriffin to Amgen way way back - that's the section that has the median crossings on it, including the quarry trucks. The old Cork route was through Midleton, up Knockgriffin and onto this road before snaking back into Carrigtwohill. I don't remember there being any 'old' road there.

The Midleton bypass, which goes along Waterrock, was then built, I'm guessing 1990, which stopped traffic going through the town. This was also not an old road.

It then delivered people onto the 'old' dc section, and then through Carrigtwohill.

They then bypassed Carrigtwohill as part of the work on the East Cork Parkway, afair. Part of that was along an old road, yes.

HTH, I could be wrong.

So does this mean that there are sections of a single carriageway road out there between Cork and Midleton which are being disussed since the archaic DC was built.

Talking about the same section of road, how about this.

The section between the Dunkettle Roundabout and Glouthaune.

Would I be thinking right in the following here.

In the past, there was no section of road leading from the Dunkettle Roundabout to the, too be built, Dunkettle Interchange. Therefore, to get from Cork to Midleton, you would have had to have gone into Glanmire, turning right over the hump back bridge and proceeding all the way until you reached the old Glounthaune road ?

3096e8h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Plans for the rebuild/upgrade...

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25%20Brochure%202pages.pdf

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25CarrigtwohillMidelton(merge).pdf

I hope they do this soon the potholes on that stretch are massive and every time it rains it floods.

pot_hole-774613.jpg:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

So does this mean that there are sections of a single carriageway road out there between Cork and Midleton which are being disussed since the archaic DC was built.

In the past, there was no section of road leading from the Dunkettle Roundabout to the, too be built, Dunkettle Interchange. Therefore, to get from Cork to Midleton, you would have had to have gone into Glanmire, turning right over the hump back bridge and proceeding all the way until you reached the old Glounthaune road ?

3096e8h.jpg

well yes you could have done that, Or come up the Middle Glanmire Road from Summerhill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

No , there was a section of road that is complete gone now between the lower glanmire roundabout (sorry , don't know the correct name ) and old main cork midelton road.

If you take the spur for little island heading east from the tunnel you meet the old road and can see the dead end on your left that was the main road.

• Advertisement

Just to say, I was actually coincidentally on the R623 two day ago, and it's the ugliest, most vile road I've ever been on. It hasn't been abandoned, but it reminded me of that desert town you see in Terminator 2 - you know, the one where they get all the guns.

I was in Glanmire (which has no signposts) and was looking to get onto one of those L-roads that crosses the N8 Glanmire bypass as an overbridge to get a look, when I took a wrong turn and found myself on the road that time forgot.

Furet wrote: »
    Just to say, I was actually coincidentally on the R623 two day ago, and it's the ugliest, most vile road I've ever been on. It hasn't been abandoned, but it reminded me of that desert town you see in Terminator 2 - you know, the one where they get all the guns.

I was in Glanmire (which has no signposts) and was looking to get onto one of those L-roads that crosses the N8 Glanmire bypass as an overbridge to get a look, when I took a wrong turn and found myself on the road that time forgot.

Don't forget 11/12 years ago that was the main cork - waterford road !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I would guess that the DC would have got funding and being built as the route was part of the original LUTS plan adopted by the Councils in the late 1970s.

As a Lee tunnel/bridge and other expensive bits of road were in the plan i would reason that the N25 got upgraded as it would be cheap and quick to do in comparison to other sections.

jhegarty wrote: »
    No , there was a section of road that is complete gone now between the lower glanmire roundabout (sorry , don't know the correct name ) and old main cork midelton road.

If you take the spur for little island heading east from the tunnel you meet the old road and can see the dead end on your left that was the main road.

Where exactly is that ?

So there was an older bridge just after the Dunkettle Roundabout going towards Midleton rather than the Dual Carriageway bridge that is there at present ?

BTW, roundabout on the Lower Glanmire Road is the Dunkettle Roundabout while the one at the Tunnel is the Dunkettle Interchange.

Where exactly is that ?

So there was an older bridge just after the Dunkettle Roundabout going towards Midleton rather than the Dual Carriageway bridge that is there at present ?

BTW, roundabout on the Lower Glanmire Road is the Dunkettle Roundabout while the one at the Tunnel is the Dunkettle Interchange.

In almost same place as the current bridge. I think one of lanes of the current bridge may be the old bridge (or at least in the same place as it).

Have a look at 51°54'21.81"N 8°23'19.73"W in goolge earth, you can just see the line of the old road (next to the train tracks) heading from the old road to the roundabout.

jhegarty wrote: »
    In almost same place as the current bridge. I think one of lanes of the current bridge may be the old bridge (or at least in the same place as it).

Have a look at 51°54'21.81"N 8°23'19.73"W in goolge earth, you can just see the line of the old road (next to the train tracks) heading from the old road to the roundabout.

Ah yes, I see it now.

Can't say I ever remember the road in this format. The oldest way I remember it was when the bridge was dual carriageway and you had to take that long left turn (which is now the slip road into Glounthaune) and onto the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

You can still see the old road on the satellite photo on Google Maps if you look carefully.

(words taken out of my mouth)

On the subject of the N25 in the Cork area, you might be interested in these: http://www.arup.ie/publications/Kinsale_Road_Interchange.pdf

http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/656899583.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Furet wrote: »
    Just to say, I was actually coincidentally on the R623 two day ago, and it's the ugliest, most vile road I've ever been on.

hey be nice - that's my neighbourhood you're talking about!

The old road is still visible in places, the old t junction at Bury's Bridge (by the little roundabout east of the Ibis) can be seen in this shot I took this summer.

It's hard to imagine that a few years ago all the waterford traffic came out this road.

Anyone know when they replaced that old section of road with the newer one ?

• Advertisement

Anyone know when they replaced that old section of road with the newer one ?

that section was closed around 94, but it was still a temporary route through the new road until 97/98

One they do the N25 Carrigtwohill - Midleton scheme (Extra GSJ, remove median crossings and put in a parallel road) (and retar the Midleton bypass), then motorway is POSSIBLE from Dunkettle to the eastern end of the Midleton bypass. AFAIK theres nothing that will stop it then. Even the narrow bridges on the Midleton bypass arent the end of the world.

Is it guarunteed that a new road will be built between Carrigtowhill and Midleton.

I'd say they'll have to straighten the road a bit to bring it to 120kph motorway standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Before the Midleton Bypass, it could easily take 20 minutes to get through the town.

From the east end of Carrigtohill (last on-ramp) to Midleton (first off ramp) was certainly done by 1980 - a map my father had showed only it and the Nass Road as being dual carriageways. This appears to be an online widening of hte existing road, evidenced by a rather sturdy tree in the median at one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Is it guarunteed that a new road will be built between Carrigtowhill and Midleton.

I'd say they'll have to straighten the road a bit to bring it to 120kph motorway standard.

"Guaranteed" in as much as theres a scheme planned, but it was one of those ones that was temporarily shelved lately.

However, IF Amgen come back (and I heard a rumour lately that they may be tempted), then expect to see this scheme bumped to the top of the list - above Newlands, N11, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

AFAIK the section of Dual Carriageway from Carrigtwohill to Midleton was built in the early 1970s, at least by 1975 because I have a 1975 Michelin road map of Ireland which shows this section of DC on the N25.*

The Midleton bypass was built in 1986/87 because traffic congestion was very bad in Midleton, and although it was not a big town at the time, the layout of its main street, at a differing axis to the East-West N25 direction, led to traffic jams.

The Carrigtwohill bypass was built as part of the East Cork Parkway, but opened at the end of 1994 as bypassing Carrigtwohill was seen as a priority before the rest of the E Cork Pkway was finished in 1997.

Finally, IMO the DC between Carrigtwohill and Midleton is grossly substandard and needs complete rebuilding.

* On the 1975 Michelin road map, two other short sections of DC in Cork are depicted - on the N8 from Tivoli about a mile eastward and on the N71 just south of Bishopstown.

"Guaranteed" in as much as theres a scheme planned, but it was one of those ones that was temporarily shelved lately.

However, IF Amgen come back (and I heard a rumour lately that they may be tempted), then expect to see this scheme bumped to the top of the list - above Newlands, N11, etc.

Sorry, i meant is it guarunteed that a new Parralell route will also be built in addition to rebuilding the dual carriageway section ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Sorry, i meant is it guarunteed that a new Parralell route will also be built in addition to rebuilding the dual carriageway section ?

A new parallel route will be constructed AFAIK, so if they wanted to make it M they could.

Sadly, as Furet already said earlier in the thread, the NRA informed me they have "no plans" for a third tranche.

Anyway, what is the plan for the rest of the N25?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    A new parallel route will be constructed AFAIK, so if they wanted to make it M they could.

Sadly, as Furet already said earlier in the thread, the NRA informed me they have "no plans" for a third tranche.

Anyway, what is the plan for the rest of the N25?

They prob wouldn't make it Motorway until the entire Cork to Waterford route would be nearing completion anyways. They said that short sections of HQDC weren't going to be changed to Motorways.

There's 21km of road to be built between Midleton and the Youghal bypass. No idea wether this is going to be HQDC standard. Hopefully it will be.

After this we have the Youghal bypass. ANy idea how much this would cost to retrofit to motorway standard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

They prob wouldn't make it Motorway until the entire Cork to Waterford route would be nearing completion anyways. They said that short sections of HQDC weren't going to be changed to Motorways.

There's 21km of road to be built between Midleton and the Youghal bypass. No idea wether this is going to be HQDC standard. Hopefully it will be.

After this we have the Youghal bypass. ANy idea how much this would cost to retrofit to motorway standard ?

Youghal Bypass... you see if they do that offline then the original bypass (which only opened five years ago) looks like a massive waste of money, but retro-fitting it to motorway...

I'm not so sure about that. We'll have to see what their ultimate plan is. If the plan is to have DC from Cork to Waterford, then the Youghal bypass will need either some sort of modifcation or a new offline route will have to be built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Much point in having Mway between Midleton & Waterford? the current N25 along this section is more then adequate for the traffic volumes using it, straighter then a lot of DCs ffs.

The N25 needs to have its busiest parts sorted first, thats the SRR Interchanges, Dunkettle Interchange & the Carrig-Midleton upgrade. Lets get that done before the crayons come out;).

Advertisement