Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive floodlights to line Galway skyline over Galway bay

Options
  • 10-12-2008 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Pearse Stadium replyd on old Planning application to Amend the Planning application to City Council on second Floodlighing application. .9/6/08
    Reference: File number 08299

Galway GAA County Board for Pearse Stadium, for the erection and installation of four floodlight masts 39 metres high with associated floodlights, control gear and site works. ( not including the bace wich is 6 - 7 meters hight

Galway skyline is going to have four new towers , wich will be seen from all over the city and as you come from the main roads . We have change the word to the Famous song "The moon rise over Cladagh And see the sun. Go down on Galway Bay. wont see the moon rise due to the lights in salthill and 4 towers have to add to the "sun going down throught towers on galway bay"

this towers will also have Phone mast add to them with 2 schools with in meters as the cow flyes 400 kids

the County Board is hopping due no more meetting in city hall untill new year that this can be slipped throught the planning with out any problems

People we need to save the skyline from this big mast wich would tower 14 stores (yes that 14 story building) hight it will be the hightest and tallest structures in Galway city .

there is a pearsestadium blogspot you can fine out more , if this happen you going to fine problems try get home in the city at night time when matches are been played , Barna , Knocknacarra , Westside , Salthill , Taylors Hill , claddagh will be gridlocked with car zipping throught the town heading for matches

As in the Loacls there parking going to The venue could hold a crowd of 34,000 people but the surrounding area has only got adequate space for residential parking only , with no parking been proved by extra carparks in the area , due to salthill is now pay and display area at cost off 2,50 per hour , people will park on the side streets

As in concert the town do make money and Tourism , matches people just go to match and there hit for home once match is over

Hazard to road safety Inadequate, dangerous or excessive traffic movements to and from a facility

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

Cant wait night time matchs then head to town for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

this towers will also have Phone mast add to them with 2 schools with in meters as the cow flyes 400 kids

There will be a free tin foil hat for every kid.......give me break! There are mobile phone masts all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭sgthighway

You already have a Thread going about Traffic Management.

To save me all the hassle of looking through the full planning application; Can you tell me where the bit about the Phone Mast is referenced. I believe there is one there alreay just like there is in Westside, Ballyloughanne and several other sporting venues around galway. These phone masts provide vital income to our sports groups who help the young.

If people look at the drawinings part of the application they will see detailed drawings of the lights along with photographs of similar ones in other venues. You can see what they look like from the distance at day and night.
    In my opinion they are not an eye soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Great news. Football in floodlights and then onto the pub

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

extraice wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium replyd on old Planning application to Amend the Planning application to City Council on second Floodlighing application. .9/6/08

Galway GAA County Board for Pearse Stadium, for the erection and installation of four floodlight masts 39 metres high with associated floodlights, control gear and site works. ( not including the bace wich is 6 - 7 meters hight

Galway skyline is going to have four new towers , wich will be seen from all over the city and as you come from the main roads . We have change the word to the Famous song "The moon rise over Cladagh And see the sun. Go down on Galway Bay. wont see the moon rise due to the lights in salthill and 4 towers have to add to the "sun going down throught towers on galway bay"

the County Board is hopping due no more meetting in city hall untill new year that this can be slipped throught the planning with out any problems

People we need to save the skyline from this big mast wich would tower 14 stores (yes that 14 story building) hight it will be the hightest and tallest structures in Galway city .

there is a pearsestadium blogspot you can fine out more , if this happen you going to fine problems try get home in the city at night time when matches are been played , Barna , Knocknacarra , Westside , Salthill , Taylors Hill , claddagh will be gridlocked with car zipping throught the town heading for matches

As in the Loacls there parking going to The venue could hold a crowd of 34,000 people but the surrounding area has only got adequate space for residential parking only , with no parking been proved by extra carparks in the area , due to salthill is now pay and display area at cost off 2,50 per hour , people will park on the side streets

As in concert the town do make money and Tourism , matches people just go to match and there hit for home once match is over

Hazard to road safety Inadequate, dangerous or excessive traffic movements to and from a facility

Exaggerate much?

A) How many people do you think will be attending night time club matches - 30,000? :rolleyes: Try 300...

B) Residents have no right to the skyline under planning legislation

C) Traffic gridlock - LOL, we've already got that

D) The old phone mast causes cancer chestnut. "Won't somebody please think of the children!!!"

E) If you bought a house there, there was already a stadium there. WTF did you expect - they would close it to suit you? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I didn't know cows could fly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

course, the floodlights wouldn't affect people that much if they were pointing towards the pitch instead of the bay........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I believe there is a positive aspect to the new lights in that they also form part of a new community policing initiative. Whenever a crime is committed, they can be used to mobilise a wealthy but orphaned vigilante. It's had a marked improvement on crime there.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

I didn't know cows could fly :D
    All the pigs are in quarentine :pac:

But seriously, they're developing the stadium, surely that's a good thing? People that complain about this sort of thing are probably the same people that give out that we have nothing in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pingu wrote: »
    But seriously, they're developing the stadium, surely that's a good thing? People that complain about this sort of thing are probably the same people that give out that we have nothing in Galway?

I've not that much sympathy for the residents and their scaremongering (and lack of ability with English, from the look of that first post!)

But really, it's not a smart site for a stadium at all. Narrow roads leading to it, no parking, very little public transport - even if buses were provided virtually everyone would have to catch two. It's difficult to find (yes, I have walked there from town, kinda followed the crowd after a certain point, but we took a few extra turns along the way). No room to expand, and surrounded by local residents who, umm, aren't exactly the GAA type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    I've not that much sympathy for the residents and their scaremongering (and lack of ability with English, from the look of that first post!)

But really, it's not a smart site for a stadium at all. Narrow roads leading to it, no parking, very little public transport - even if buses were provided virtually everyone would have to catch two. It's difficult to find (yes, I have walked there from town, kinda followed the crowd after a certain point, but we took a few extra turns along the way). No room to expand, and surrounded by local residents who, umm, aren't exactly the GAA type.

I'd say the pitch was there long before the current residents, so hardly the pitches fault. But yeah it's a bit of a silly place for such a large pitch to be in that area for all the reasons you say above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

surrounded by local residents who, umm, aren't exactly the GAA type.

Are you sure you're talking about Salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

I will take one tinfoil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Am I the only one who think 39m tall floodlights is a typo? ontop of a 7m base.... that is the guts of 150 or so feet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pearse Stadium was built the best part of a generation ago, long before most of the surrounding housing. If you live in the area and have no truck with GAA, you've forfeited your right to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Am I the only one who think 39m tall floodlights is a typo? ontop of a 7m base.... that is the guts of 150 or so feet.

The original poster also said this about the floodlights' height:

Am I right in saying a building with 14 stories would correspond to 39 (+7) metres? Although I don't really see why the masts would need to be that high so maybe it is a typo. I'm not really sure at all though, haven't heard too much about the Pearse Stadium floodlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

It appears that there's no such application, that Ref. Number is for a planning permission out past Cornamona, from back in Feb.

Alot of Stadiums are awkward residential places - look at Croker! The question then arises where would you put a stadium in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    Pearse Stadium was built the best part of a generation ago, long before most of the surrounding housing. If you live in the area and have no truck with GAA, you've forfeited your right to complain.

Ehh, a generation, that's 15 years?

Or do you mean a century?

Either way, it may have been a great site when Galway was a small town poking it's nose out of the surrounding bogs. It's now a city of 70,000 and times have moved on. Time for the GAA to move to a stadium site that befits their true status.

'Tis tempting to say ...
    somewhere behind Ballybane ;)
    ... but really, that would just cause more traffic problems. because of the traffic corridor issues.

Ehh, a generation, that's 15 years?

Or do you mean a century?
    It was built in the late 50s or early 60s.

I really think with a proper bit of planning, Galway could have 1 reasonable sized municipal stadium of a Thomond Park size.

The Sportsground needs a lot of improvement but Bord Na gCon are quite happy with the one stand they have so any money has to come from the Connacht Branch. I know dozens of people who will only go along to a rugby game if the weather's OK but would go if they could be guaranteed some form of shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

Pingu wrote: »
    The question then arises where would you put a stadium in Galway.

maybe a joint venture between the city and NUIG in developing a stadium on the grounds in Dangan, i know the space is there and it has access to main roads in both directions, plus u could have water taxis how cool wud that be and turn Menlo castle into a restaurant / bar with outdoor area large screen ideal for non ticket holders to party while game is on across the river think of the atmosphere

• Advertisement

extraice wrote: »

If there is one thing that annoys me its residents complaining about pearse stadium. For fecks sake any decent size city in the world has stadiums in town look at the big grounds in citys in the UK much much bigger than pearse stadium and people dont be complaining. Nobody will even notice the lights or a bit of traffic for a few hours an odd sunday of the year and an odd evening during the week. It would sicken a horse listening to the complaining when Galway have a game in the stadium or there is a big club game on. Its not like they are going to stop playing matches so why waste your time complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

From experience of football grounds in England I wouldn't want Galway to have an out of town purpose built GAA stadium.

It's all well and good having a shiney new stadium with ample parking and stuff but these stadiums are often souless because of their un-original bowl shaped design and attendences can be poor because they're out of town. (A few examples being Bolton's Reebok Stadium, Reading's Madjeski Stadium and Wigan's JJB Stadium).

It's fine having plenty of parking but if it's out of town people will be forced to drive there rather than possibly walk (if it's in town) and chances are there won't be any pubs around so nobody will be able to have a drink. And even if there was a pub nobody would be able to drink, having driven there and all.

Pearse Stadium isn't ideal (in terms of there being no parking whatsoever and limited public transport) but I think it's a lot better than some stadium (albeit purpose built) out in the middle of some huge industrial estate over in the East Side of town. I can walk to Pearse Stadium or Terryland from my house. Would definetly put me off going if I had to drive across town to a stadium in some industrial estate in Ballybane.

Might just be me though..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

biko wrote: »

Yeah, but we shouldn't let reality get in the way of a good old bitching session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Far too many comments to quote a reply to so here goes...

- All you who say the stadium was there for years, people that live there knew it was there...true. But the stadium was redeveloped a few years ago and planning was granted based on a number of conditions, so many of the conditions have not been met it is crazy. Residents have every right to complain that the GAA are flouting the planning conditions and in my opinion the GAA should be punished (it's just a weak-ass planning dept in Galway that are letting them away with it). Furthermore, when GAA were proposing the redevelopment of stadium they met with local residents asking them not to object, they promised that if planning was granted they would not use the stadiium for concerts or night-time games. I was at the meeting that was held when Aiken were planning for Bob Dylan concert, someone in the crowd asked the Galway GAA chairman why they were allowing a concert when they promised they would not do that...the guy just turned round and said' I didin't promise that, my predecessor did'. So what can we take from that little rant; the Galway GAA board will lie and cheat to get what they want, the stadium was there a long time but the GAA have changed the stadium and it's use so I say the residents have every right to object to these changes.

-Someone said that people cannot object to changes in a skyline? I doubt that but anyway, they can certainly object to huge masts being erected outside their homes, casting shadows, etc. Not to mention the light pollution.

-To the people who posted random pictures of floodlights and those that have looked at the submission...the GAA have bogus 'artist impressions' in the application, look at the actual engineers drawing, look at the scale of the masts and lights in relation to the heigth of the stand, they are about five times higher than the stand.

-Why was the original submission pulled by the GAA at the last moment? because they knew they would be refused.

-To the person who said 'why complain it will happen anyway'...lol

- The Galway GAA board have shown that if you give them an inch they will take a mile (and council will turn a blind eye). If residents don't react the GAA will have the local area destroyed seven days a week, not just when there are games on.

I could go on but it's all been said before, I would urge anyone with doubts about the comments I've made to check out the pearsestadium bloogspot for a more factual (lass ranty) argument.

Phew, longest post ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Robbo wrote: »

I really think with a proper bit of planning, Galway could have 1 reasonable sized municipal stadium of a Thomond Park size.

Agreed. Pearse Stadium and Terryland were dumps until recently. Sportsground has improved a lot too. I am a regular at Galway United games and it is a fine venue but it only has 4000 covered seats. Access and parking can be hell, even for low-key games. Sportsfround has the best catering facilities and is very centrally located. Pearse Stadium holds 30,000 of which 8,000 is covered seating.

A combination of the best features of the aforemantioned 3 Galway stadia would make a great city stadium. Just like Thomand Park....
    *central location
    *floodlights
    *large covered seated area
    *excellent facilities
    *pleanty of parking

Thomand Park will hold concert next year (Rod Stewart, Elton John) as well as an international soccer tounament (they are hoping to get Arsenal).

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

lot off good points there , but this is gaa , no international soccer rugby there
    the photos you link two are small compaired to what Gaa are trying to put in salthill

And as chat to few that live there , i been told that the Gaa dont give one free ticket to an matches are Gigs there , this house on rockbarton rd wich is all was blocked up with cars on match days , big are small matches

Gaa dont even talk to there Neighbours , traffic problems are going to become more problems in west side off the city and the bypass aswell

that come and go by park out side the Pearse Stadium gate but not taken in that Neighbours have t do the same aswell , this people are blocked in for the day due matches ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

For fecks sake any decent size city in the world has stadiums in town look at the big grounds in citys in the UK much much bigger than pearse stadium and people dont be complaining.
    I'd wager those stadiums come with adequate parking facilities, however.
    KevR wrote: »
    It's fine having plenty of parking but if it's out of town people will be forced to drive there rather than possibly walk (if it's in town) and chances are there won't be any pubs around so nobody will be able to have a drink. And even if there was a pub nobody would be able to drink, having driven there and all.
    So the people who have lived their whole lives in the area, raised families and tried to make it a better place to live have to put up with some flute from Roscommon parking his honda civic in their driveway so you can have a few scoops and scratch that itch? You're breaking my heart here. I mean its not like they could lay on buses like they did for the races. And thats not to mention the massive cost in taxpayers money in terms of Garda resources wasted trying to direct the traffic somewhere useful.

Parking for 30,000. Think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Anyways, the "14 storey" lights won't be as dominant:rolleyes: when they build the 16 storey towers in Ceannt station, not forgetting the 30 storey tower proposed for Salthill with the revolving restaurant on top. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The floodlights will be of the equivalent height to those currently at the sportsground.
    Another issue neither the connaught branch or bord na gcon own the sportsground, a trust owns the land there, im dont recall just now who they are but will find out again. Galway united along with the connaught branch in conjunction with bnag should have joined together and developed the sportsground but alas respective politics have put to bed that idea.

imo its scaremongering/not in my back garden rubbish being pushed by some residents on rockbarton road, last season there was only 2/3 major matches.
    Have a bit of pride in the jersey! sure dont they get all the free tickets they want!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement