Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is heading for parity.

By the same token, it also heading for EUR 1 = GBP 2 ;).
    Heading for parity doesn't mean it will get there.

If it does, will the last person left in Ireland please turn out the lights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

sorry if its already been asked but having got thru 70 odd pages and didnt see it

heading up north on sat planning on leaving early but not sure where to go
    looking for toy shops esp and clothes and then food in that order????

any help would be great

thanks in advance

jean
    Your choice frmo distance preference:
    1)Newry Shopping (Quays & Buttercrane) All shops you could think of for shopping (Except Supervalu)
    2)Sprucefield Shopping park (near Belfast) (sainsbury, Toysrus, Currys, Argos, B&Q, ) and a MacD too
    3) enniskellin - all shops but Sainsbury

Choice from relax shopping:

1)Sprucefield -Sainsbury led shopping park
    2)Westwood park (Just 10 minutes from Sprucefield)-ASDA, discount electrical and MacD too, just in front of shopping center exit a good "TOKYO ASIAN restaurant" and pizza shop too, ASDA is great

My advice: get away from NEWRY, sprucefield is great, in case you want to cover IKEA, There is IKEA, Sainsbury, TESCO, HARVEYNORMAN and NEXT all big shops,

I have noticed that trolleys in Asda Enniskillen don't need coins aswell as in Sainsburys Armagh. Newry is the only place I have seen coin operated trolleys in NI.

Wrong! :-)

Westwood park takes coins too, even children trolleys are not saved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

heard this on the radio this morning what is the most wanted xmas present this year but its very hard to get a parking space in newry think there are plenty on here might agree

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

All this talk of limiting sales in Asda is rubbish.
    sesswhat wrote: »
    Agreed.

How do you mean rubbish ?

They are limiting the amounts of special offers they will allow you to buy .

It is pretty much hit and miss i was told i could only buy 6 bottles of Coke a couple of weeks ago.I had to get manager to get permission to buy more.

While i was at the checkout 2 other people were refused washing powder.Because the staff member said they had bought some earlier on that morning.

The manager said they introduced this because of the amount of 'trade buyers' turning up and clearing the shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When I was in Enniskillen last week, some guy bought 50 bottles of Baileys. No one stopped him and he paid by credit card.

When I was in Enniskillen last week, some guy bought 50 bottles of Baileys. No one stopped him and he paid by credit card.

Ho hum i must have just got a jobs worth i think the person who served me was a supervisor of some description .Because when i came back with trolley full of coke and 'permission to buy' from manager she was at another till trying to stop a bloke from buying 3 boxes of Daz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

All this talk of limiting sales in Asda is rubbish.

couldn't agree more on my last visit I got 400 tissues and no one batted an eye!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3 boxes of Daz
    WTF! :eek: 3 boxes is hardly trade purchasing.

WTF! :eek: 3 boxes is hardly trade purchasing.

Which was my point .Maybe they have given up trying to limit sales but they definitely where a couple of weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I agree totally. It is very strange how Tesco can now suddenly be able to sell 2x24 Guinness cans for €50.

agree,
    this is the biggest example so far as to how much we were being overcharged.
    Its an amazing discount on 48 cans.
    maybe they'll do something similiar on spirits yet tho i doubt it
    or even alcops like wkd blue which are 10.84 for 4 compared to
    £10 for 12 in asda eniskillen.
    That alone i found infuriating.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hey guys,
    Is it worth it to travel just for booze? I dont need anything else, but wouldnt mind stockpiling up on alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

antodeco wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Is it worth it to travel just for booze?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    Just back from Enniskillen. Dunnes empty, prices were okay for usual stuff. Asda was busy but nothing extreme and M&S was quite.
    A bit of road construction which held up things but nothing to really bother about. Last visit was to Iceland and no problems, quite.

Drink in Asda was moving, best send in the wife and guard the trolley or vice versa real ankle cruncher near the booze.

antodeco wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Is it worth it to travel just for booze? I dont need anything else, but wouldnt mind stockpiling up on alcohol?

heres just an idea what i saved alone
    the thread is long so heres a reminder
    Tesco Enisk

Teachers -1 litre Tesco enisk £14.56/17.08eu Dunnes (briarhill galw) 32.99

Bells - 1 litre Tesco en- £13 dunnes (didnt see any)

Freixenet 750ml tesco en - £6.33/7.42eu Dunnes 16.99eu 750ml

Smirnoff 1litre Tesco £13/15.25 (£1 cheaper than asda) Dunnes 27.49

ASDA Eniskillen (This could take a while)

Becks 18x275ml £7/8.21eu Dunnes think it was 16.99 for 12x275ml

Corrs light 20x275ml £7/8.21eu Dunnes 20x330MLS 23.99

Miller 15x330ml £7 Dunnes 20X330ml 15eu (fair play to them there)
    Mickey finns 500 ml £4.63/5.42eu Dunnes 13.48

Wines echo falls merlot, arniston bay blossom hill and many others were
    £10 for 3 bottles Dunno what dunnes charge

Barardi 1 litre £13.70/16.06 dunnes 27.99
    Bulmers 8 pint btls £7 dunnes 8x500ml cans 18.59
    Tia maria 1 litre £14.32/16.79 dunnes No idea
    Harveys brisol cr 1 litre £6.75/7.91 dunnes 16.66 (cant remember if 1l or 70cl)

Wkd blue £3.82 (4x275ml) or 3 for £10/11.72
    Dunnes 10.94eu for 4x275ml only
    That a tough one on us 12bottles for 11.72 up north
    or 4 bottles here for 10.94 for the exact same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Its worth a trip for food and booze, not just now, but at any time of the year.

However, if you're looking for bargains on clothing....forget it!! There are a few bargains to be had, but no more than are available to you here.

peanuthead wrote: »
    Its worth a trip for food and booze, not just now, but at any time of the year.

However, if you're looking for bargains on clothing....forget it!! There are a few bargains to be had, but no more than are available to you here.

was in a sports shop in the erneside shoppin centre in enisk
    and i didnt see many bargains in sportswear or runners
    so ill second that
    clothing in next is a big cheaper in the same place alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

peanuthead wrote: »

The missus bought a pair of jeans in M&S Enniskillen for £39/€45 the same pair in M&S Liffey Valley cost €69 thats a saving of €24 which I would consider a bargain, that purchase alone covered fuel and more. She spent a lot in River Island and save another bundle on same items compared to River Island down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Connrang wrote: »
    Last visit was to Iceland and no problems

hmmm, bit far north of Newry for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brianc42

I agree with you about the langers in our goverment and their incompetent ways.There surley has to be an easier way of saving cash other than spending most of the day in a traffic jam or risking a kicking over some poxy parking space.I for one would take the easier route and shop around locally.The deals are there.Check your local papers for sales and deals.I picked up 4 slabs of larger for 100 euro in tescos.I also picked up a 42 inch plasma and dvd recorder for 699 that was in savins in limerick.Stay south and we all might get out of this mess quicker.

andrew1977 wrote: »
    If you are an average family with kids to feed ,clothe and get set for xmas on an average income, it is certainly worth bothering with all that ****e,
    What i have saved up north this Xmas has well paid for Santas invoice and let me with a few quid still in my pocket
    Needs must in this current economic climate, they encourage us to shop down South, but at the end of the day no f*cker in Dail Eireann will pay my ESB bill for me if i dont have the money to pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

brianc42 wrote: »
    I agree with you about the langers in our goverment and their incompetent ways.There surley has to be an easier way of saving cash other than spending most of the day in a traffic jam or risking a kicking over some poxy parking space.I for one would take the easier route and shop around locally.The deals are there.Check your local papers for sales and deals.I picked up 4 slabs of larger for 100 euro in tescos.I also picked up a 42 inch plasma and dvd recorder for 699 that was in savins in limerick.Stay south and we all might get out of this mess quicker.

Look, it's as simple as this - People are going to shop wherever costs less.

Yes, Tesco's beer bargain was great, and I shopped at my local Tesco for the beer and bought 50euro worth of beer from the, happy days. However, I went North to buy my wines/spirits

I don't believe in this 'shop locally to save our economy' bullsh1t, i'll shop wherever is cheaper. If the Irish Government put their money where their mouth is and reduced VAT (like the UK) we would be encouraged to shop South, but to PUT IT UP, while the UK brings it down? You'd be mad to shop in the South at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

This thread is an excellent resource. Thanks to all who have provided helpful information :)

I left Dublin yesterday (Wednesday) at 11am with not much traffic on the roads. There was rock blasting going on at the Newry bypass so there was a 30 minute delay getting through there. Otherwise it was fine all the way to Belfast.

I went to Ikea (at Holywood Exchange on the Belfast to Bangor road) at about 2pm and while there may have been about 200 cars in the car park, the place is so big that I felt like the only one there most of the time. Great store and great prices. It's all mostly veneered MDF wood products, but the prices generally reflect this. I spent hours wandering around the showroom floor :D

I then went to Sainsburys and did some shopping. Not great for alcohol. I think ASDA or Tesco is the place to go for that kind of thing. It was pretty empty when I was there at 6pm and the shelves were fully-stocked. Fantastic savings to be had when buying in bulk.

Next stop was Sprucefield. I got there at about 7:30pm, had a bite to eat and went into Currys. The Currys there is nice and big, plenty of stock and it was very quiet.

The sign-posting on the roads in the North is excellent, unfortunately the road markings are particularly poor. On the way home at about 9pm, I could barely make out the lane markings or any cat's eyes.

All in all, a great journey. Well worth the effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭granturismo

We're going up soon and thought of Enniskillen for food and drink in Sainsburys and M&S. Both of their websites dont have Enniskillen as a location but Don Jose's wife bought clothes in M&S Enniskillen.

Can anyone clarify and if either of these have stores in Enniskillen - does anyone have an address or landmark for directions.

Otherwise we're off to Armagh.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sainburys ain't in Enniskillen, see post #1185.

Here's some parts of my receipt from Sainsburys Newry

Bailey's Cream 70cl £10
    Bacardi 1L £11
    Jameson Whiskey 1L £17.99
    Jameson Whiskey 70cl £14
    Powers Irish 1L £16.99
    John Smiths 15pk 440ml £9
    London Pride 4x500ml £5.99

Alpen £3.23 (big alpen packet 1.3kg, about 5quid i think here)
    Head & Shoulders £3.69 (big bottle, nearly 6quid down here)
    Ready meals 2 for 1 offers @ £1.57 each
    Other ready meals under basic brand at £1 each
    24x Actimel for £5
    Special on Toblerone 2x400g = £5

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Would agree with Don Jose,(a few pages back)

Bargains are getting better in the south - but I'm a bit cynical about this
    -have travelled up and down from the North regularly over the last number of months - STG/Euro was good even back then - while I've spent a certain amount in NI and got my 'bargains', I would support any initiative to keep businesses going in the south, BUT, you've got to stop ripping us off...Celtic tiger is over,,,reduce reduce reduce NOW, and we'll buy down here.

Farmers Markets- stop charging EUR 2.75 for a scone/slice of sponge cake/ etc etc

Clothes shops- stop taking advantage of some apparent HUGE difference in STG/Euro exchange rates- it doesn't exist, and anyway, why are the outlet stores selling the same items 33% cheaper????

Electronics shops- the joke is over (and was, way before this recent phenomonen occured) - reduce your prices.

All businesses- remind yourself of who buys your goods- CUSTOMERS- bring back customer care- the bag packers, customer servce and tellers staff in Sainsburys Newry display customer care behaviours in bucketloads--

Rant over...If going to the North, try and get up to the Antrim Coast- absolutely brilliant drive and scenery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Connrang wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just back from Enniskillen. Dunnes empty, prices were okay for usual stuff. Asda was busy but nothing extreme and M&S was quite.
    A bit of road construction which held up things but nothing to really bother about. Last visit was to Iceland and no problems, quite.

Drink in Asda was moving, best send in the wife and guard the trolley or vice versa real ankle cruncher near the booze.

Went to Asda Enniskillen today myself. Saved a fortune, especially stocking up on multibuys.

Was busy like you said but not too bad, tills were busy though with most people going through with fully loaded trolleys:

3083302416_6472d51308.jpg

Fidelis wrote: »
    This thread is an excellent resource. Thanks to all who have provided helpful information :)

I left Dublin yesterday (Wednesday) at 11am with not much traffic on the roads. There was rock blasting going on at the Newry bypass so there was a 30 minute delay getting through there. Otherwise it was fine all the way to Belfast.

I went to Ikea (at Holywood Exchange on the Belfast to Bangor road) at about 2pm and while there may have been about 200 cars in the car park, the place is so big that I felt like the only one there most of the time. Great store and great prices. It's all mostly veneered MDF wood products, but the prices generally reflect this. I spent hours wandering around the showroom floor :D

I then went to Sainsburys and did some shopping. Not great for alcohol. I think ASDA or Tesco is the place to go for that kind of thing. It was pretty empty when I was there at 6pm and the shelves were fully-stocked. Fantastic savings to be had when buying in bulk.

Next stop was Sprucefield. I got there at about 7:30pm, had a bite to eat and went into Currys. The Currys there is nice and big, plenty of stock and it was very quiet.

The sign-posting on the roads in the North is excellent, unfortunately the road markings are particularly poor. On the way home at about 9pm, I could barely make out the lane markings or any cat's eyes.

All in all, a great journey. Well worth the effort :)

Looks like i did the same but couple of hours later :-) you escaped snowing in north on the way back, i could not, heavy snow till dundalk

Cicero wrote: »
    Would agree with Don Jose,(a few pages back)

Bargains are getting better in the south - but I'm a bit cynical about this
    -have travelled up and down from the North regularly over the last number of months - STG/Euro was good even back then - while I've spent a certain amount in NI and got my 'bargains', I would support any initiative to keep businesses going in the south, BUT, you've got to stop ripping us off...Celtic tiger is over,,,reduce reduce reduce NOW, and we'll buy down here.

Farmers Markets- stop charging EUR 2.75 for a scone/slice of sponge cake/ etc etc

Clothes shops- stop taking advantage of some apparent HUGE difference in STG/Euro exchange rates- it doesn't exist, and anyway, why are the outlet stores selling the same items 33% cheaper????

Electronics shops- the joke is over (and was, way before this recent phenomonen occured) - reduce your prices.

All businesses- remind yourself of who buys your goods- CUSTOMERS- bring back customer care- the bag packers, customer servce and tellers staff in Sainsburys Newry display customer care behaviours in bucketloads--

Rant over...If going to the North, try and get up to the Antrim Coast- absolutely brilliant drive and scenery

To me, its da thread of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Sainsburys in Armagh today were giving 88.2pence for the Euro and that has been the highest there so far (and I mean so far)

picked up 2 cases of Miller 24 x 330ml damaged box for £10 each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Look, it's as simple as this - People are going to shop wherever costs less.

Yes, Tesco's beer bargain was great, and I shopped at my local Tesco for the beer and bought 50euro worth of beer from the, happy days. However, I went North to buy my wines/spirits

I don't believe in this 'shop locally to save our economy' bullsh1t, i'll shop wherever is cheaper. If the Irish Government put their money where their mouth is and reduced VAT (like the UK) we would be encouraged to shop South, but to PUT IT UP, while the UK brings it down? You'd be mad to shop in the South at the moment

Here Here my friend ,i completely agree with you

I bought my Baileys 1 litre bottle for 10 sterling in Sainsburys 2 weeks ago, i bought my Xmas Jumper in the Timberland Jumper (39 sterling..i have seen them down south for approx 90 euro ) in the outlet store in banbridge and saved myself a packet not to mention the savings i made on the household essentials

On discovering the Tesco beer alert this week, i bought my tray of Guinness and Budweiser down south and tomorrow i will pick up more trays in Supervalue locally

Saved a fair bit on all the above and as you say.. end of the day.. the money in my pocket at the end of the month makes all the difference.

Advertisement