Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

brianc42 wrote: »
    My sisters were up in newry on thursday doing their christmas shop.It took 3 hours from dublin.People were fighting over car parking spaces.Its getting worse the closer to christmas.They did save about 250 euro though.I personaly would not bother with all that ****e.

If you are an average family with kids to feed ,clothe and get set for xmas on an average income, it is certainly worth bothering with all that ****e,
    What i have saved up north this Xmas has well paid for Santas invoice and let me with a few quid still in my pocket
    Needs must in this current economic climate, they encourage us to shop down South, but at the end of the day no f*cker in Dail Eireann will pay my ESB bill for me if i dont have the money to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Nice to see so many others going the distance to save money, been going up north for ages now to save money.

heading up to Newry from Monaghan in the morning to get an Xbox 360 as a present for someone, will end up saving over €150 by the end and thats not including the other places I'll get to after getting just the Xbox and a few games, well worth the trip, especially with the € being around 86p atm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Of course it is everyone's right to shop and buy where and what they choose. However there must surely be an inevitable reality that the steady recent decline in Irish manufacturing/service companies outputs etc will only be further exacerbated by these new pilgrimmages to NI supermarkets.

Reminds me of the schizophrenic Irish attitude to England and Premiership clubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samo
    Could do with some Boardsie advice for this...

I'm studying a map of the North and deciding to hit an Asda tomorrow rather than Sainsburys Newry. (and not Eniskillen)

Coming from the Meath direction via Slane onto the M1 - which would be the most direct Asda to reach (with best roads) between Belfast, Cookstown and Omagh - I know the road via Lisburn to Belfast well and that its a good 35 mins past Newry so have an idea for the Belfast one - but ftrying to compare as havent gone that direction before or Cookstown and Omagh - heading up the M1 and turning off in Newry - which is closest and best roads this kind of weather?

Omagh would be about 40 minutes from Monaghan so just factor in how long it takes you to get from Slane to Monaghan. Just stay on the N2/A5 going towards Derry. Cookstown is a bit further.

Left Navan Yesterday (Wednesday) at 12:15 reached Newry usual 40 minutes, no traffic till Newry first round about, after crossing round about heading towards Belfast, stuck in traffic and took 25 minutes to reach B&Q round about.
    Took road towards Armagh-carlingford as had appointment there, left from friend (there portadown) at 16:15 towards IKEA and reached IKEA at 17:15, very quiet, relaxed shooping, check-out from IKEA at 18:30, took normal M3-M1 road toward dublin and stopped at Westwood Park-ASDA at 19:00, evening not much rush, plenty of beers/offers, everything looked cheap and was cheap (Remember you need £1 for trolley:mad: i didn't have any coin so took the hand basket:o) Anyway, good deal on cloths, bickies, and everything, straight to Booze, all in plenty, S'off, Bacardi both £13, Kingfisher Beer £1.94, Cobra-£1.89, left ASDA and reached Sainsbury at 20:00 sprucfield, veyr quiet, straight to Booze, full of wine and bacardi, only 1 S'off though, but she brought me a full box, Here Bacardi and S'oo were £1 dear compared to ASDA, Anyway, did shopping and left Sainsbury 21:00, i recommend night shopping as it is quiet there, however, you always feel that its late night and you have to drive long. Started back and heavy snowing till Newry, no traffic and soon we entered republic we were welcomed by rain, made to NAVAN 22:10, drinking my last Corona of the nigght before goign to bed, Cheers.
    P.S: on both way we saw some south reg car broken and some were tow'd away by mechanic in truc ;):pac: whole saving went to Mechanics;;;
    good night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

According to the Asda website Kilkeel only stays open till 6pm
    but I'm sure for December it would be later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That store is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

okidoki987 wrote: »
    That NI or ROI?

both the misses teaches in newry and she's off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

both the misses teaches in newry and she's off

Polygamy FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Lplated

I went up on Tuesday, left Dublin at 9.30. When i got to Newry roundabout, seemed to be a queque from there to the town so i headed on for Belfast (its only 40 miles on from there).

In common with most/all others, I found savings of up to 50%, on ordinary household food, clothes etc... Between petrol, toll and food, the trip 'cost' about fifty euro, but i did a couple of weeks shopping (and christmas presents), and reckon i saved over 400. Yes its a long day, yes its a bit of hassle, but I'd prefer to have that money in my pocket (it'll go towards our increased health insurance premium for next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

ASTRACLUB wrote: »
    Remember you need £1 for trolley:mad:
    Just a note for anybody going to ASDA. A 20 cent coin will work in their trolleys. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I posted in the Bargain Alert requests forum but didn't get much of a response. Anyone know of the differences between North and South for MBTs and where would be best to go?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

smashey wrote: »
    Just a note for anybody going to ASDA. A 20 cent coin will work in their trolleys. ;)

i think all trolleys in the ni take 1 and 20p's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I just take one of the big free ones with the extra storage on top (designed for child car seat).

In ASDA Enniskillen yesterday people were jumping on beer pallets as they were taking them out of the storeroom:D

All this talk of limiting sales in Asda is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Bond-007 wrote: »
    All this talk of limiting sales in Asda is rubbish.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

In Newry at the moment, its absolutely packed, the carparks in the Buttercrane and the Quays are packed, can barely move in any of the shops, this is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The Euro reached another new high against Sterling today, it is almost £0.87 to €1, that plus the VAT reduction means even bigger savings, Irish retailers are in for a shock :eek:

It is heading for parity.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Originally Posted by smashey
    Just a note for anybody going to ASDA. A 20 cent coin will work in their trolleys.
    I had 10cent only :o did not work
    I just take one of the big free ones with the extra storage on top (designed for child car seat).

All Child trolley at ASDA (Westwood) needed coin:(

I have noticed that trolleys in Asda Enniskillen don't need coins aswell as in Sainsburys Armagh. Newry is the only place I have seen coin operated trolleys in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

ntlbell wrote: »
    i think all trolleys in the ni take 1 and 20p's

Gawd-damn recession! Look at what you've done to us! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

I have noticed that trolleys in Asda Enniskillen don't need coins aswell as in Sainsburys Armagh. Newry is the only place I have seen coin operated trolleys in NI.
    Trollys at Asda in Kennedy Way need coins.

Boo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jeanmec

sorry if its already been asked but having got thru 70 odd pages and didnt see it

heading up north on sat planning on leaving early but not sure where to go
    looking for toy shops esp and clothes and then food in that order????

any help would be great

thanks in advance

jean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It is heading for parity.

If the bank of England keep lowering interst rate it will alright

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Find out shortly

Down 1% to 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

Avoid Newry. I'd recommend Enniskillen - was there myself on Monday.

Kids clothes - Asda, M&S, Next. Adult clothes - limited enough I'd say especially for females.

Toys - not sure? Have a look at argos.co.uk prices. There is a toy shop across from Erneside centre - don't know what it's like. Think someone said earlier they were doing €1=£1. TEsco & Asda do some toys.

jeanmec wrote: »
    sorry if its already been asked but having got thru 70 odd pages and didnt see it

heading up north on sat planning on leaving early but not sure where to go
    looking for toy shops esp and clothes and then food in that order????

any help would be great

thanks in advance

jean

Where are you planning on shopping? If we had a dedicated Northern Ireland Bargains Alert forum then this could be a stickey, come on support the Northern Ireland Bargains Alert forum,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Did anyone go to Sainsbury Sprucefield near Lisburn yesterday morning?
    Was there plenty of choice on the shelves? Would hate to get up there and find that them low on stuff and getting a delivery Thursday.

Has anybody else noticed that the more people shop in the north, the more bargains there are to be had in the south, it just shows the huge profits the Irish retailers are making that they reduce prices never seen before the exodus to the north.

• Advertisement

I agree totally. It is very strange how Tesco can now suddenly be able to sell 2x24 Guinness cans for €50.

Advertisement