Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Freezing Weather across Ireland (Friday 28th November onwards)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Hey everyone.

Indeed TWO is not at all a friendy place to post, apart from Brian Gaze and a few Irish members, and I for one won't be posting there again. If an upcoming weather event does not concern them, then you will get slated for mentioning it.

Back on topic and some interesting weather coming up for the weekend.

I don't know about precip, but it looks like it will be very cold.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Hi SnowAddict, welcome to the boards. Lend me a fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Welcome aboard Snowaddict, always room for one more here!
    Hope to see you joining in on the Boards Weather League too, hint hint! :)
    What county do you live in? always helps when you are fevereshly posting about the snowfall in your back garden ;) , your East Coast location is a little vague for here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

Indeed TWO is not at all a friendy place to post, apart from Brian Gaze and a few Irish members, and I for one won't be posting there again. If an upcoming weather event does not concern them, then you will get slated for mentioning it.

Sorry to hear about that. As I mentioned,TWO has a large membership, and most of them are decent posters, with a lot of valuable info and opinions to part, but like anywhere, there are trolls and deliberate baiters. I have had them, but I'll stand up to them everytime.

Back OT, as also mentioned earlier Met Eireann's 'threat of severe wintry weather' of yeaterday has disappeared. Hard frosts, possible freezing fog and coastal wintry showers look set for the weekend. It's a nice seasonal flavour anyway, looking on the bright side....

Back OT, as also mentioned earlier Met Eireann's 'threat of severe wintry weather' of yeaterday has disappeared. Hard frosts, possible freezing fog and coastal wintry showers look set for the weekend. It's a nice seasonal flavour anyway, looking on the bright side....

Yep precipitation charts are not promising. That said these things never ever work out exactly as forecast, the areas of forecast precip will change right up to the day. Lets just get the cold air over us and hope that the precipitation shows up.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hey everyone.

Welcome aboard Snowaddict. As Snowbie says, would be useful to put your exact location in your profile.

I've been watching your posts on TWO and the subsequent reaction!

Here's hoping for a good winter (certainly looks good so far).

A

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Great charts this morning!

A real lack of positivity on here considering the charts are stunning.

I suppose usually with 850hpas around -5c one would think its really borderline but this event is different as the surface temperatures are much colder than you would be led to believe.

But at the moment it looks great and IMO the east is where you'd want to be.

Sleet/Snow showers will start to affect the east from Friday night and continue to affect it right through Saturday and into Monday.

Minima will reach -2c and Maxima will struggle at times to 4 or 5c at the very best.

There then looks like a chance of heavy snow across much of the country and the east as a feature moves south through Sunday night and into Monday morning.

What's more the cold spell looks like lasting right up until next Thursday with chances of low pressure brushing up against the imbedded cold over Ireland and the UK.

Looks flippin fantastic in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

from met.ie:
    Extremely cold Friday night with a very severe frost and perhaps some freezing fog, leading to icy roads in many areas. Air temperatures are likely to fall as low as minus 4 C or minus 5 C in many inland parts. Scattered showers of hail, sleet and snow also, mainly in coastal areas, where some could be thundery. Saturday will be very cold with highest temperatures of only 3 C to 6 C at best, though frost and fog could linger in some areas. Much of the country will be dry, with bright or sunny spells, but there will be further wintry showers, mainly near coasts. Winds will be moderate to fresh north to northeast. There will be another severe frost Saturday night with scattered wintry showers also. The very cold snap will continue for Sunday and Monday with fresh and gusty northerly winds bringing bright spells and further showers of rain, hail and snow, while the nights will remain very frosty.

So when the winds swing around to the north on Sunday we could be in for a snowfest in many parts of the country. Bring on a polar low i say:)

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I love Weathercheck's optimism. I hope he is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Supercell wrote: »
    Yep precipitation charts are not promising. That said these things never ever work out exactly as forecast, the areas of forecast precip will change right up to the day. Lets just get the cold air over us and hope that the precipitation shows up.
    Precip aplenty on the 06Z now all over the country on different days.

@BB noticed that slipping to our south and moving east. That will be interesting on high ground for sure. Anytime wind comes off the Irish sea is just cold rain here. Further inland is better. Suppose thats one to watch but miles away.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

My desktop side bar weather gadget is saying 40-60% chance of precip from today right up to Saturday week. I'm not sure that this feed is accurate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭WorriedSick

Issued at 27 November 2008 - 11:30
    Weather Advisory
    Very cold weather expected on Friday, the weekend and the early days of next week.
    Wintry showers on Friday of hail and sleet with snow on high ground in west Ulster, Connacht and west Munster.
    Occasional wintry showers in all areas from Friday night onwards with snow possible.
    Severe frosts at night with dense fog in places.
    Valid 6 am Friday 28/11/2008 until 1200 Wed 4/12/2008

Does this look like they're are covering their ass?? Wintry showers in all areas with snow possible!! They're aren't being very precise but I'll take it!!! ;)

Yes this far out they are covering their asses and rightly so.
    Though I am often critical of them,Convection is a very difficult one to pin down.

Trying to decide if the precip is snow is an almost impossible task in marginal conditions.

Put it to you this way-if this was late december to early february,I'd be more excited by the charts.

That said,theres a pretty cold borderline snowy set up increasingly coming down the tracks and if you get the weather stuck in an easterly/northerly rut at this time of the year and foward,it's all good as regards the white stuff.

Meaning,the more into december we go,the more this pattern establishes itself,the higher the likelyhood of snow.

Thats not to say in a weeks time something happens to reintroduce the atlantic...much to the tears of most of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

arctictree wrote: »
    I've been watching your posts on TWO and the subsequent reaction!

A
    Sorry mods for being off topic but I must say the way Snowadict was treated on TWO lastnight is unfortunately quite normal for the MO forum on that site. Over the last 2 years they've lost plenty of experienced, valuable posters because of silly bickering and unpleasant individuals. Today Brian Gaze decided to leave too. Yes, snowaddict was quite enthusiastic but, as has been said, they could have pm'ed him. What I find rather alarming is the fact that a few posters have explicitly stated their dislike of having Irish-related weather being discussed. Absurd and incredibly small minded!

Anyway, I really hope there's more precipitation around for the weekend and the Met's latest warning is very positive. However, their morning radio forecast this morning didn't inspire much confidence for snow chances. Here's hoping for a repeat of last January (when nearly 6 inches fell here from Irish sea convection iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Also the deeper into winter we go the likelyhood of showers not penetrating further inland as the air is colder and dryer overland. Unless there is a certain organisation to the showers, shortwaves, active front, or the odd Polar Low, the windward coasts will often do best.
    Useless if we are relying on troughs to pep up from topography overland as it never wants to happen.

As the time of season, i couldn tell you if the showers will penetrate further inland as i have no info to go on as it has just not happen too often this early in the season.
    The sun is as weak as it is this time in Febuary but the SST's are higher this side of Christmas. Will this be the difference, it is more conducive to the formation of troughs and is one reason why we have an abundance of them. Usually less likely in Febuary due to SST's a tad cooler.
    Makes it interesting overall :)

rc28 wrote: »
    Sorry mods for being off topic but I must say the way Snowadict was treated on TWO lastnight is unfortunately quite normal for the MO forum on that site. Over the last 2 years they've lost plenty of experienced, valuable posters because of silly bickering and unpleasant individuals. Today Brian Gaze decided to leave too. Yes, snowaddict was quite enthusiastic but, as has been said, they could have pm'ed him. What I find rather alarming is the fact that a few posters have explicitly stated their dislike of having Irish-related weather being discussed. Absurd and incredibly small minded!

It is a great shame, I used to read that forum all the time but imho the mods there are badly chosen, they simply don't do their job at all. They only ever seem to move posts that are off topic but constant bickering and put downs seem to be tolerated and just leads to a bad vibe about the place imho.
    I don't care who the poster is, personal insults should equal a least a temporary "cooling off" period..if not a permanent one in really bad cases.

Of the UK forums I must admit I like Netweather the most, people still bicker but it seems to be kept in check a lot better.
    The loss of Brendan and Brian from TWO are the death knell for TWO imho and tbh , at this point I'm not sorry to see it go.
    That said Snowbie and I have the easiest forum in the world to mod cos yer all just wonderful people :p :pac::pac:

Sorry for the off topic post myself, am genuinely a little sad to hear Brian has left TWO as well.

Snowbie wrote: »
    As the time of season, i couldn tell you if the showers will penetrate further inland as i have no info to go on as it has just not happen too often this early in the season.
    The sun is as weak as it is this time in Febuary but the SST's are higher this side of Christmas. Will this be the difference, it is more conducive to the formation of troughs and is one reason why we have an abundance of them. Usually less likely in Febuary due to SST's a tad cooler.
    Makes it interesting overall :)

I was thinking the same myself - the seas are still pretty warm so showers are a possibility if the high says far enough out west and there is an easterly element to the northerly. Of course right on the coast may be too warm as a result for settling snow ..but inland a few kilometres well...how far they penetrate inland is another matter also.
    Fingers and toes crossed here .

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Its looking quite cold then for the weekend.

However I'm not sure about precip chances.
    Sky News seem to suggest snow showers along coastal fringes for tomorrow, Friday.

Some interesting weather ahead though. :)

Supercell wrote: »
    It is a great shame, I used to read that forum all the time but imho the mods there are badly chosen, they simply don't do their job at all. They only ever seem to move posts that are off topic but constant bickering and put downs seem to be tolerated and just leads to a bad vibe about the place imho.
    I don't care who the poster is, personal insults should equal a least a temporary "cooling off" period..if not a permanent one in really bad cases.

Of the UK forums I must admit I like Netweather the most, people still bicker but it seems to be kept in check a lot better.
    The loss of Brendan and Brian from TWO are the death knell for TWO imho and tbh , at this point I'm not sorry to see it go.
    That said Snowbie and I have the easiest forum in the world to mod cos yer all just wonderful people :p :pac::pac:

Sorry for the off topic post myself, am genuinely a little sad to hear Brian has left TWO as well.

Agreed.As a poster on TWO, what struck me was the 'this is a UK focused only forum' attitude which a few posters have come up with with. Good luck to them.I won't be posting there again, though I may lurk. It's only weather and the love of it which has us here, and what went on last evening was petty and nasty.The trolls are gaining ground big time there sadly.

Anyhoo....I see Met Eireann have a weather alert out as has been commented on. It really is a cover your behind one, with no specifics at all, in terms of areas of greatest risk or amounts of precipitation. And valid out until Wednesday? Thats the longest period for a warning I've seen from them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Issued by Met Eireann
    Issued at 27 November 2008 - 11:30
    Weather Advisory
    Very cold weather expected on Friday, the weekend and the early days of next week.
    Wintry showers on Friday of hail and sleet with snow on high ground in west Ulster, Connacht and west Munster.
    Occasional wintry showers in all areas from Friday night onwards with snow possible.
    Severe frosts at night with dense fog in places.
    Valid 6 am Friday 28/11/2008 until 1200 Wed 4/12/2008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

OK - Charts are looking good for a pro-longed cold spell. First time in years I think that this has happened. Mostly its just a 1 or 2 day affair.

So when do posters think we'll get our first snow shower? Could be some tonight in the West. I'd say first here will be tomorrow night as winds turn NE'ly. Would be nice to have snow cover for a few days! I'll put the XMas lights on the house and take some pics (and take them out while telling the Grandkids about how we used to have snowstorms before XMas in the naughties!!)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

So i wonder if Kerry has a chance of getting some snow over the next few days (other than the higher ground), or will it just be the usual cold rain, with a biting breeze?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

So i wonder if Kerry has a chance of getting some snow over the next few days (other than the higher ground), or will it just be the usual cold rain, with a biting breeze?

If you go by Met Eireann, you certainly will tomorrow & Saturday.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Hey everyone.

Hello , Im kippure, Im some what of a lurker here, and a snow addict.... i just read what pee,s are saying. You,ll find that the people on borads are sound as a euro....
    Hope you get your snow, i think we will all see snow over the next week or so.

All ready tempetures are dropping and dew points are coming close to zero to! Fun times and model watching ahead.

K.

OK - Charts are looking good for a pro-longed cold spell. First time in years I think that this has happened. Mostly its just a 1 or 2 day affair.

So when do posters think we'll get our first snow shower? Could be some tonight in the West. I'd say first here will be tomorrow night as winds turn NE'ly. Would be nice to have snow cover for a few days! I'll put the XMas lights on the house and take some pics (and take them out while telling the Grandkids about how we used to have snowstorms before XMas in the naughties!!)

A

You guys on the eastern fringes will have a good chance once that wind veers NE. So will the northern and northeast coastal areas you would think. Inland like me, never gets a good deal with a northerly or northeasterly in winter. Need a cold west northwest stream for us. I'll expect cold clear days and frosty nights and anything else will be a bonus...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A

i will take you up on that and predict snow will have been recorded at knock airport before midnight:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sorry to hear about that. As I mentioned,TWO has a large membership, and most of them are decent posters, with a lot of valuable info and opinions to part, but like anywhere, there are trolls and deliberate baiters. I have had them, but I'll stand up to them everytime.

Good post Force 11. Unfortunately the good majority on TWO are marred by the cretin minority. Have had it myself many's the time but I give as good (if not better :p) than I get. I will continue to lurk also, but until a fair moderation is brought in I will not post there again.

Good to see you posting on Boards (at last) Snowaddict. :)

Breaking news....

Shock horror.....

Gerry Murphy has used the snow word on the radio at 1250 without qualifying it with "high ground".

So there thats quite frightening....or maybe he just couldn't afford the gas [BGE still havent dropped the price of it] for the flame throwers he uses on the roof at glasnevin to melt any rogue snowflakes that might fall there...:D

• Advertisement

i will take you up on that and predict snow will have been recorded at knock airport before midnight:cool:
    given the altitude,and the synoptics thats a bit like predicting the pope is going to fart sometime in the next 24hrs :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement