Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[3 appointed preferred bidder in NBS] The Country Is F***ed , Lets Emigrate Now

• 25-11-2008 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

DCENR decided that 3 is to get the NBS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I heard sales of brown envelopes were up recently alright. Still lol at €irscum though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Agreed on the LOL but the only criteria where 3 scored higher than eircom was on price .

I bet they recently reweighed the scoring process so that the price component accounted for about 75% of the marks instead of 30%-40% as intended :p

I also bet that BT ( an early bidder) are still on the floor in shock .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I can't see how it meets the specs.

2.1GHz HSDPA is terrible for Rural. With 10 users at rural distances it will be 150kbps per sector and 150ms to 1000ms latency. At urban distances with 7.2Mbps you can only support 48 connections on a sector and it drops to under 200kbs and latency rises from 120ms to over 800ms.

This isn't a solution at all.

But it was drawn up so badly that major players didn't see the value even of tendering. They should have been subsidising roll out of backhaul and lastmile of real Broadband solutions. HSDPA never will be broadband, even if Politicians or OECD decide it is.

People on two way satellite could end up better off. Pray you are in an NBS area with no "3" mast and then thery have to give you satellite 1Mbps / 128k 48:1 contention at same price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    DCENR decided that 3 is to get the NBS

My god what drugs do these people in the DCENR take? How can a feeble HSDPA system ever be mistaken for broadband?
    Even eircom (god bless 'em) came in with a more realistic offer than 3.
    Nobody else was interested as far as I could see.

The 3 backhaul is atrocious and this is where the investment needs to be made.
    We as a nation need FTTx not some half baked solution that only works when it isn't raining.

So it looks like we shall fall behind the third world yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm downright shocked by this. Illustrates how much of a clown Minister Ryan really is. Good bye to him and the rest of that green shower next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just changed the title so we don't have multiple threads on the same topic.

I share Watty's concerns of the ability of 3 to deliver anything near a broadband experience, let alone to NBS spec.

From DCENR:
    The final product that consumers will receive from the NBS will be an always on service of at least 1Mbit/s down and 128kbits/s up. The minimum download capacity per connection will be 10 gigabits per month and the service must support Virtual Private Networks (VPN) for businesses and VoIP applications and devices for home business purposes. Latency must be sufficient in order to allow standard applications such as VoIP and online gaming to be run without significant degradation of service from an end user perspective.

I know of very few people who can get a sustained 1Mbit download speed on 3G technologies (and Three Ireland have a long-established, well-publicised poor 3G data offering). I know even less that have it, in rural areas (because of distance and sector contention).

Ignore the speed for a second, there is no way that decent VoIP is possible on any 3G network in Ireland. Yes, you can be lucky (in off-peak times) to get a call through, but it is rarely of decent quality. Reliable it is not. The ping times on every 3G network (in ideal circumstances, let alone in real world, heavily-contended networks) prohibits online gaming of any sort (even online poker!). VPNs will constantly disconnect, as will the "kinda VPN" technologies like SSH, VNC, etc.

So, maybe 3 aren't going to use 3G? Maybe they will have especially small sectors for pockets that require servicing? Maybe they'll prioritise NBS customers' data?

All very well and good if they do, but right now it looks like DCENR have allowed the specs above to be completely ignored and have handed the preferred status to a bidder who has very little positive experience in the field.

If 48 users are connected on a sector AFAIK on HSDPA 7.2, the 49th gets no connection.

HSDPA is fast connecting high speed dialup. It is not "always on".

Latency is 120ms at best. It can queue to 2000ms with 48 users and poor signal. Even 120ms is too poor for proper VOIP, especially if the other user is on HSDPA too. It's no good for gaming.

I've not had problems with VPN on O2's HSDPA though. But many VPNs use IP security and "3" currently use a proxy meaning people don't even get separate dynamic public IPs, much less have ability for ordering a Static IP.

Certain state bodies abandoned HSDPA for certain connectivity solutions due to the inabiltity to maintain or ensure a connection at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭clohamon

Interesting to see if those currently with lousy broadband providers will be allowed opt into the scheme and demand satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am listed on the big map as having no BB service. Can I demand satellite?

clohamon wrote: »
    Interesting to see if those currently with lousy broadband providers will be allowed opt into the scheme and demand satellite.

No they can't
    Even some with no BB can't get it. Only those on the white bits of "no coverage" part of map can get the scheme.

I'd imagine you only get satellite if it's a place where "3" don't plan a mast. If a mast is Planned as part of roll out service, you get nothing till the mast arrives. Then maybe if no signal you can get Satellite.

It's an 18month (maybe 2 or 3 years) rollout process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I don't get you lot at all, you'd be just as bad if not worse if eircom got it.

damien wrote: »

This may well be true but the choices were awful. I too can see the outcry
    if eircom did get it. But a spade is still a spade.

Even eircoms offering was better than the proposed solution from DECNR.
    Ryan has simply abandoned rural Ireland to an HSPDA solution which is far from promoting high speed and innovation, it is restrictive and slow speed.

Surely the point of IoffL was always the best broadband for all?

"IrelandOffline is a voluntary organisation consisting of home and business
    Internet users unhappy with currently available Internet connectivity products and services. Its brief is to campaign for the development of flat-rate and high-speed Internet access services and to promote innovation and competition in the Irish Internet marketplace. "

Not some half baked solution that will just make people fed up...
    More typical green nonsense.

Actually a far more appalling vista is on the horizon, 3 are allegedly in talks to buy eircom (well parts of Babcock and Brown). This was reported a few weeks back by "informed sources".

If this is true then competition will be snuffed out and one company will own the NBS and the old national telco.

Now that is an untenable situation if it turns out to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Give 3 a chance, how long have eircom being delivering broadband and it's been an overpriced disaster...and they could be up for sale again very shortly not really a company a smart man would invest in at the moment....

BT assist 3 with their network roll out so it's not a complete disaster for them either.....

It's not a question of good or bad "3" is or how well the network is rolled out. The Technology simply isn't Broadband.

It's like awarding a contract for frieght to a company that only has a licence for a taxi and isn't allowed to buy trucks.

So much for online gaming, I reckon better pings would be achieved off VSAT than Three's excuse for a network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Give 3 a chance, how long have eircom being delivering broadband and it's been an overpriced disaster...and they could be up for sale again very shortly not really a company a smart man would invest in at the moment....

BT assist 3 with their network roll out so it's not a complete disaster for them either.....

Thats not fair at all, yes Eircom have made competition hard and been slow rolling out broadband but by and large they provide reliable, low latency product that does what it says on the tin. 3 on the other hand provide a product that disconnects regularly, can often be dialup speed and useless for gaming, voip, vpn. Its useless for everything except surfing and email.

watty wrote: »
    It's not a question of good or bad "3" is or how well the network is rolled out. The Technology simply isn't Broadband.

If the average user can get a good reliable 1mb it will be ample for most people...
    It is broadband, mabe not good as a nailed up connection but still good compared to dial up which most rural people are saddled with....

3 came along and gave the market a good shake, give them a little credit, remember what voda and 02 used to charge for mobile internet.....

If the average user can get a good reliable 1mb it will be ample for most people...
    It is broadband, mabe not good as a nailed up connection but still good compared to dial up which most rural people are saddled with....

The technology simply can't deliver as per the specifications laid down by Dept.
    This is fact so unless 3 can change the laws of physics they can't possibly deliver. What recourse will consumers have I wonder when all they get are dialup speeds?
    Have you ever tried to ring 3's "customer" service for instance?

I can just visualise the conversations now...
    "dublin is that somewhere in Ireland?"

Agreed. For now at least, but perhaps not for too long.
    It is broadband
    Debatable. Certainly the bigger standards bodies explicitly exclude 3G from their definition/interpretation, and Irish regulators seem to be one of the few that include it in their reporting.
    but still good compared to dial up which most rural people are saddled with....
    Not always but, yes, agreed. However forming a subsidised national scheme based on that is probably a waste of money.
    3 came along and gave the market a good shake, give them a little credit, remember what voda and 02 used to charge for mobile internet.....

Rubbish. They saw an oppertunity to tap in to the highest ARPU figures in Europe, in a market with little competition, and less regulation. They didn't shake anything up, even with their ever-changing launching offers. There was no mass migration. They might be cheaper for some users (they're a lot dearer for others), but shaking any market; they certainly didn't.

• Advertisement

Not quite as bad, I'd wager, but given the 2 remaining applicants, it'd be a no-brainer to give it to eircom, surely.

bealtine wrote: »
    The technology simply can't deliver as per the specifications laid down by Dept.
    This is fact so unless 3 can change the laws of physics they can't possibly deliver. What recourse will consumers have I wonder when all they get are dialup speeds?
    Have you ever tried to ring 3's "customer" service for instance?

I can just visualise the conversations now...
    "dublin is that somewhere in Ireland?"

The technolgy can deliver. The dial up speeds shoud hopefully more or less vanish over the next few months. 3 are currently in the process of replacing there entire network after only 3 years. 7.2mb shoud be switched on mid december, hopefully giving everyone a decent connection...

I deal with customer service every day, there not as stupid as you think....they are not the only company in Ireland to use foreign support...

Who would you have awarded the contract to, ICE, Eircom, Digiweb, Smart?
    3 have the best option at the moment...only because there is no real competition to get this thing done quickly...

cgarvey wrote: »
    There was no mass migration

i'd call 100,000 + broadband users a bit of a migration..they were completly unprepared for it and the network couldn't cope... 3 based the uptake of mobie broadband on the UK market where they already have 100% broadband penetration...

The technolgy can deliver. The dial up speeds shoud hopefully more or less vanish over the next few months. 3 are currently in the process of replacing there entire network after only 3 years. 7.2mb shoud be switched on mid december, hopefully giving everyone a decent connection...

Explain this "new" technology to us please?

I deal with customer service every day, there not as stupid as you think....they are not the only company in Ireland to use foreign support...

Who would you have awarded the contract to, ICE, Eircom, Digiweb, Smart?
    3 have the best option at the moment...only because there is no real competition to get this thing done quickly...

Not for the 90% of people that want a fixed broadband connection. It's a technology designed for MOBILE USE.

It scales very very badly as it's CDMA based and thus when the sector fully loaded 50% or more of bandwidth is wasted. Only one user can get 7.2Mbps and only within 1/4 to 1/8th of sector area. When 40 users are connected it would be typical to get about 100kbps, less than 2 ch ISDN.

HSDPA is not and never can be Broadband. Nor can HSUPA. It's successor LTE may give broadband performance but only with 4 times as much spectrum as todays W-CDMA / HSDPA has.
    In any case not one of today's modems or phones supports LTE and there are no plans yet for licence of LTE spectrum.

Inherently the latency is 120ms minimum and queues up to 2000ms at cell edge on a fully loaded sector. You can't fix that.

If 60 people are in one sector (and since it is not installed fixed wireless you can't limit sector loading by ceasing installs) then nearly 20% may not get connected.

The NBS was designed to make it very unattractive to most ISPs. In the end only eircom and "3" tendered. All others either didn't tender at all or withdrew. There is no reason why such a contract should not have been split into several parts and a tender for an overall network manager.

HSDPA is not designed for this application and nothing will fix it. It's a misapplication of the technology.

watty wrote: »
    Not for the 90% of people that want a fixed broadband connection. It's a technology designed for MOBILE USE.

Here's 3 at home now...

362287375.png

and here's BT 3mb at home right now

362288529.png

there's not much of a difference, both are good...but 3 should be quicker when the upgrade is complere...

Here's 3 at home now...

362287375.png

362288529.png

there's not much of a difference, both are good...but 3 should be quicker when the upgrade is complere...

There is a massive difference, chalk and cheese. You will notice the Ping is 64ms on BT <(Which is Eircom resold) plus even though you are not pulling the full three megs from the line it is 9 times out of ten reliable and consistent you know what you are getting.

The Three speed is alrightish for the bog standard email and webpage but is no good for online gaming <(those with nothing would tolerate it maybe) and voip would be jittery plus, forget instant youtube, voip, vod, vpn or any other slightly more advanced web applications.

Give me a Eircom one meg line anyday over this Three garbage, it will be constant and the ping will be somewhere between 50 and 70ms <(not for the fibre based purists but it will do grand for xbox etc.) Plus you will get your meg and will be relaible unlike three which may be fine one half hour but between 5.30 to midnight forget and all you need is one user on the mast to discover *torrents* and you will quickly revert to ISDN over it.

Three sucks big time, I took a connection with them and had to return it so bad was the service, plus getting my deposit refunded back almost involved me having to go to a solicitor.

Here's 3 at home now...

362287375.png

362288529.png

You obviously don't get CDMA contention.

Your speed test shows that less than 4 people are concurrently using your mast sector. That's not realistic. Also it shows you have a good signal. Even Ripwave (s-CDMA) is nearly reasonable if there are only 4 modems switched on on the mast (though it's maximum speed is about 1/8th of HSDPA).

The ping actually is suspiciously low making the reliability of the test suspect, but at that it's too high.

The 3.6Mbps to 7.2Mbps upgrade will not give most users more speed. The main reason 3G operators are doing it is that it doubles the capacity of the Mast sector allowing up to about 50 connections rather than 25.

This is NOT 50:1 contention. A Proper Broadband system has X Mbits / sec capacity and limits packages to Y Mbits/s for Z Users. Z is typically 3 to 20 times the contention ratio which is:
    T = Data needed for 1:1 Contention = Sum(Y package speeds by Z users)

Contention = 1: (T/X)

With a mobile system like HSDPA we have several problems with this:
    • The number of possible connections is = typical contention ratio.
    • The number of users needing the sector can't be controlled.
    • The number of users and data capacity of a Sector is too small for statistical averaging of contention.
    • Unlike real broadband there is a small number of connections possible compared with user base. Real broadband will slow to contention ratio if all 200 or 1000 people per data resource connect. None are refused connection.
    • There is no "package speed". Speed is erratic as a user can get up to the full capacity of sector.

So even with 7.2Mbps HSDPA there is no meaningful contention ratio as the actual possible number of connections is similar to Contention of real Broadband.

Other problems:
    • The Lack of a package speed makes ping erratic and thus jitter huge, killing VOIP, Faxing, Video Streaming and Gaming.
    • The nature of W-CDMA means that over 1/2 the data speed is lost at full capacity, ie the effective sector capacity of 7.2Mbps drops to under 3Mbps as more users are connected.
    • The Mobile nature means that you get about 1/2 to 1/4 speed for 70% of cell area. Only the inner 25% of users get full speed.
    • The cell shrinks dropping users nearer the edge as users added to it or even the neighbouring sector or cell on occasion.

It is a MOBILE technology designed for short term connections of browsing and email like you would do on a phone, mobile in use. It's inherently inappropriate for Fixed or Nomadic PC /Laptop users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I wonder has the game been fully played yet - Can't see eircom just accepting it. I think Rex might be best avoided today :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Seeing as this forum tends to live on speculation most of the time, do we know for a fact that 3 is planning to use HSDPA for their service? Before we get too worked up about nothing, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The only good that can come of this is people leaving eircom dial up for 3 which will give eircom an incentive to upgrade those exchanges to get some money back although even then it probably won't pay them to do this.

The most likely scenario is that users will move to 3 and the debt ridden eircom will lose the money from dial up users which is basically free money and probably go under which might allow the government to buy the network.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Blaster99 wrote: »
    Seeing as this forum tends to live on speculation most of the time, do we know for a fact that 3 is planning to use HSDPA for their service? Before we get too worked up about nothing, for instance.
    What else would they use?

oscarBravo wrote: »

GPRS :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sweet Jebus no! 256 kb/s if you are lucky.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus no! 256 kb/s if you are lucky.

There's been an improvement latley, I seriously think they know what there doing this time....

Here's a 3 speed test now...

362500823.png

• Advertisement

There's been an improvement latley, I seriously think they know what there doing this time....

Here's a 3 speed test now...

362500823.png

By any chance do you work for 3? Most of your recent posts are showing this speed test or talking up 3 in complete contrast to the megathread about them.

Maybe your not but you wouldn't be the first employee from them to post here.

brim4brim wrote: »
    GPRS :p
    They have no GSM.
    So you get 3G (up to 350k) or HSDPA (up to 7.2Mbps) or nothing.

I presume also that part of the plan is to reduce the use of Vodaphone masts and improve voice call coverage too. I doubt they will prevent a mast being used for voice. The sum of all voice traffic is subtracted from available data bandwidth. The default 3GPP codec is AMR and is 4.75 kbps to 12.2kbps. Thus on a heavily loaded data sector, 15 voice calls would reduce your speed from 250kbps to maybe less than 200kbps.

One reason Mobile operators don't like VOIP apart from cost issues and poor user experience (Vodaphone's reason to disable E65 VOIP is poor user experience) is that typically it takes up to 10 times the bandwidth.

By any chance do you work for 3? Most of your recent posts are showing this speed test or talking up 3 in complete contrast to the megathread about them.

Maybe your not but you wouldn't be the first employee from them to post here.

No I don't work for 3, I supply broadband from a host of providers to rural communities and 3 is the clear favourite due to cost, portability and ease of use. 3 have had there problems i'm not denying that but this move will be a positive step forward for their network, 3 would have had a very decent phone network by now only for the uptake of mobile broadband which screwed up everything.
    There due a break, i'm really tired of this constant 3 bashing, it's not fair, they have helped more consumers in Rural areas in one year than Eircom has done in 30......

The 3 solution isn't for the boys in d4 to play their xbox games on, it's there to provide acces to people who can't get it by any other means. It no substitue for a wired connection but these people in the sticks can't wait any longer for Eircom to get the finger out....

Do you honestly think i'm making up these speedtest results?

It's averaging anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5mb

362516601.png

No I don't work for 3, I supply broadband from a host of providers to rural communities and 3 is the clear favourite due to cost, portability and ease of use. 3 have had there problems i'm not denying that but this move will be a positive step forward for their network, 3 would have had a very decent phone network by now only for the uptake of mobile broadband which screwed up everything.
    There due a break, i'm really tired of this constant 3 bashing, it's not fair, they have helped more consumers in Rural areas in one year than Eircom has done in 30......

The 3 solution isn't for the boys in d4 to play their xbox games on, it's there to provide acces to people who can't get it by any other means. It no substitue for a wired connection but these people in the sticks can't wait any longer for Eircom to get the finger out....

Do you honestly think i'm making up these speedtest results?

It's averaging anywhere between 1.5 and 2.5mb

362516601.png

Yes well my parents were on 3, my little brother and my other brothers girlfriend in a rural area in Offaly. Hardly D4 and all getting sub dial up speeds and not being able to connect at peak times, all connecting to different masts.

This is still the case for my brother and my other brothers girlfriend but my father has switched to O2 and now gets 1Mbps up/down constantly with 100ms ping times due to proximity to the mast.

I don't think they are due a break. They screwed the country for over a year and have never apologised or refunded customers for their inadequate service.

I work for a website and we ran into massive problems with their half-arsed shared IP policy too and the users themselves had to suffer with it when they tried to use Google and were being told their IP was showing irregular activity :rolleyes:

3 deserve to go under more than eircom. At least eircom customers are happy with the quaility of the service even if it is over priced and not available in enough areas (which is the biggest problem).

Are they on the very edge of signal?, When was the last time you ran a speed test on 3? Could you do one for me now?

• Advertisement

Are they on the very edge of signal?, When was the last time you ran a speed test on 3? Could you do one for me now?

My parents and brother were/are on 1-2 bar signal.

My brothers girlfriend I'm not too sure about but she is in Clara town so I can't imagine she'd have that poor a signal.

I'm in Dublin and don't use 3 so can't do a speedtest.

My parents and brother were/are on 1-2 bar signal.

My brothers girlfriend I'm not too sure about but she is in Clara town so I can't imagine she'd have that poor a signal.

I'm in Dublin and don't use 3 so can't do a speedtest.

So what your saying is, your partents and brother currently don't have it, you don't have it either but your brothers girlfriend has it in clare but you've no idea what speed she's getting...
    Don't think you've any justification in 3 bashing as your not even a current customer...

I'm on a network with heavy voice and data traffic, it's now peak time all the kids are home from school...

Not great but it's still a big jump from a few months ago...

362645668.png

You are "a" user. HSDPA is VARIABLE from 100kbps to 3.5Mbps. You can draw no conclusions whatsoever from your speed as you can't know how many people are using it.

I can roughly work out how many might be using a sector of a mast, but only by making some assumptions. On 3.6Mbps HSDPA you could have as few as 3 users continuously accessing traffic get that speed. It can be under 500kbps for 5 simultaneous streams on 3.6Mbps, or about 8 streams for 7.2Mbps cell, assuming all modems support the higher speed.

I'm not bashing "3". But I know how the technology works and the serious limitations of it for fixed Broadband is that you would need to have less than 120 real internet using customers in a cell to have the poorest broadband speeds and 3 to 5 times real broadband latency and over TEN times real broadband jitter.

As the product becomes more mature you would have no way of limiting the customers to 120 (40 per sector) and assume only 1/8th of them transferring data at same time to get Broadband speed.

Your particular statistics prove nothing. I'm sure withing driving distance of where I am I could find > 1.5Mbps or < 200kbps HSDPA.

At least Meteor or O2 can fall back to 240kbps EDGE for extra capacity (Meteor are rolling out 3G/HSDPA, at present they have only GSM/GPRS/EDGE for data). 3 Ireland has only 3G/HSDPA.

Statistics show that about 10% of customers will run torrents etc. So if a sector has 100 physical customers about 1/2 can connect at once (I'd expect a lot less than 1/2 at once actually, to the 48ish connection limit of 7.2Mbps is not too bad). However maybe 10 will be running 24/7. Lets be generous and say the Farmers Lads aren't into Torrents and only FIVE run 24x7 streams. That means that if ONLY one ordinary customer tries to connect if w-CDMA / HSDPA was perfect you would have 7.2/6 Mbps = 1.2Mbps. In reality if all have 3bars or more, they'll get 800kbps. If 5 ordinary users connect the speed would be 720kbps at best. HSDPA can't share at that efficiency and some will have poorer signals so expect 300kbps to 420kbps speed.

So you need the 7.2Mbps to be able to get 5 ordinary users online at less than 1/2 basic Broadband speed.

I've been generous. On unmanaged uncapped Broadband about 5% to 10% of users will eat 80% of the traffic. In my example where there are only 100 customers in the Geographic Mast area, those users will eat 1/2 the bandwidth as the market matures. That is why there is a Cap. A rolling 30 day cap of 10Gbytes would be a 24x30 speed of only 31kbps. Some ISPs throttle to a generous 120kbps. Which allows a generous 38GByte per month if you never get unthrottled.. (If you spend 20 days getting to cap, then you over next 10 days add about 13Gbyte, thus you have to stop the torrents for nearly 2 weeks to get below Cap enough to be un-throttled).

Will "3" Throttle, Disconnect or Charge for "over 10Gbyte" Cap traffic? If they don't Disconnect or Throttle, expect deadly slow speeds always on some masts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I work for a website and we ran into massive problems with their half-arsed shared IP policy too and the users themselves had to suffer with it when they tried to use Google and were being told their IP was showing irregular activity :rolleyes:

This explains why slashdot has banned my IP when I try to access the site from my 3G phone. ffs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3 have at most 100 cells in Ireland

each has 3 sectors or so .

They have 100k+ HSDPA subscribers so their contention is over 333 users per 7.2mbit sector .

There are some quiet ones but 333 into 7.2 is 21.6k each . Crap dialup :(

It should be sold as a flatrate substitute not a bb substitute .

i'd call 100,000 + broadband users a bit of a migration..

Me too, but that's not the point I was addressing.

You're sentiment that 3 is better than nothing is entirely correct, and they have and will continue to get people connected that had no choice up until then. However, if they are to use HSDPA for the NBS, it is a technology that will not scale well especially in rural areas. The upgrade in speed will certainly help (assuming it's matched with backhaul, which is not a given), but that upgrade, as Watty has explained, will still be subjected to the non-linear contention (i.e. users won't see twice the speed because of this upgrade).

You're right that a lot of people are happy with the speeds, and it's fine for a lot of people. My main issue is that unless 3 introduce a new technology (which is still possible), they will not be able to meet the current spec of supporting VoIP and online gaming (unless Hearts over the network comes back in fashion).

The 3-bashing as you call it is justified based on the number of complaints on this forum alone, for their poor customer service and network/topology practices. In the absence of ANY indication that 3 won't use 3G, we can express great concern over the aforementioned limitations of 3G. Neither, in my opinion, take away from the fact that 3 have been an asset, and will continue to be, in getting people online.
    crawler wrote: »
    I wonder has the game been fully played yet - Can't see eircom just accepting it. I think Rex might be best avoided today :D
    Well, given the rumoured price difference, the rumoured reluctance of eircom to use it's wealthy FWA spectrum and the insiginificance of DSL in these areas (without major lines investment), I can't see why either side would bother?
    do we know for a fact that 3 is planning to use HSDPA for their service?
    No, nor do we have ANY indication that they won't. Should we just say nothing at all until all the facts are revealed next year? If so, perhaps we should also stay silent on LLU, given the ongoing processes there, and many other topics aside. Wild speculation is pointless, but I think it's reasonable to have opinion about a national strategy that looks like is fundamentally flawed be aired now, before it's too late.

The only good that can come of this is people leaving eircom dial up for 3 which will give eircom an incentive to upgrade those exchanges
    I don't see the incentive? If they upgrade the exchanges serving this mythical 10%, they'll need to heavily invest in the copper to be even in a position to get people connected. Even then, they'll be in a subsidised market, per se, with a small catchment area, and an established brand to compete against. Tough going. It's probably why they haven't done anywhere else rural (being served by 3G providers).
    Good question. Some nomadic or FWA? Using their masts as part of that network, but breaking out to local FWA? NLOS/nomadic/some-half-arsed-WiMax implementation would deliver an altogether more manageable product that would be a much better experience than 3G, without hammering valuable sector space. It might be a stretch of my imagination, but it's not impossible, and wouldn't be a heap more expensive than adding more sectors/backhaul (assuming that 3 would at least do that!) in the affected areas. Speculation, of course!

So what your saying is, your partents and brother currently don't have it, you don't have it either but your brothers girlfriend has it in clare but you've no idea what speed she's getting...
    Don't think you've any justification in 3 bashing as your not even a current customer...

My brother still uses it too and it is crap for him still.
    I'm on a network with heavy voice and data traffic, it's now peak time all the kids are home from school...

Not great but it's still a big jump from a few months ago...

That's good for you, might I suggest when it was crap, lots of people left the network and that's why your speeds increased?

Working with the website I work for, we contacted three to try to resolve the problems we had with their shared IP's and it took us about a month to get them to send us the one line of text we required to unblock them. In that time, we got at least 3 complaints a day from 3 customers asking why they couldn't use our website.

3 don't care about their customers, they never have and they never will. I've been following 3 since my father signed up and had bad speeds, have had first hand dealings with them and know about 10 people that are or have used the service and are very unhappy with it.

Just read the megathread. Originally they didn't have an SMTP server and were stating they didn't have to provide one to customers and so they weren't going to. They only did after being put on a phone in show where their PR person eventually said they'd do it after lying a few times live on air about their service.

A mod can delete any of this if he feels it might be necessary, I don't really care. I'll continue warning people off this crap service. When your service goes down drunkmonkey, your tune will change and it will go down as soon as more people in your area sign up to these amateurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

WiMax? Some other wireless technology? They/BT have a lot of mast infrastructure so surely there are a lot of possibilities? Since when do companies just sell stuff they already have?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

WiMax? Some other wireless technology? They/BT have a lot of mast infrastructure so surely there are a lot of possibilities? Since when do companies just sell stuff they already have?
    Mast infrastructure isn't an issue; spectrum is. WiMAX in this country pretty much means 3.5GHz. ComReg have reserved 10MHz of 3.5GHz spectrum for the winner of the NBS in case they want it, but 10MHz isn't much.

Mast infrastructure isn't an issue; spectrum is. WiMAX in this country pretty much means 3.5GHz. ComReg have reserved 10MHz of 3.5GHz spectrum for the winner of the NBS in case they want it, but 10MHz isn't much.

They could use one of the LTE alternatives (but I don't see that happening any decade soon)

• Advertisement
Advertisement