Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No, everyone here pirated it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, everyone here pirated it :D

lol

I did too but I went and bought a copy cos I enjoyed the single player and wanted to check out online play...bad call imo

Though the nocd still works for playing online which is nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

I got so annoyed wen I found this game has absolutely no relation to the first game at all. No mutants, no spunky hawaiian shirt, no lost tropical island in the middle of nowhere. NO MUTANTS??? WHAT??? :mad:

But then I got enthralled by the fact you can blow each individual twig off a tree, and set fire to the whole bleedin' forest :D

Its pretty shameless what they've done to the Far Cry name, but its a good game. Theres some nice tehcnology on display here with the vegitation and other effects. Play-wise it plays much better than Crysis. Runs on my pc with very high graphics and no bother.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

mang87 wrote: »
    I got so annoyed wen I found this game has absolutely no relation to the first game at all. No mutants, no spunky hawaiian shirt, no lost tropical island in the middle of nowhere. NO MUTANTS??? WHAT??? :mad:

Mutants etc. were the weakest part of the first game I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

mang87 wrote: »
    Its pretty shameless what they've done to the Far Cry name, but its a good game. Theres some nice tehcnology on display here with the vegitation and other effects. Play-wise it plays much better than Crysis. Runs on my pc with very high graphics and no bother.

Yeah it does have some good concepts, some which where pulled off well, some others which they made huge oversights on.

I'd say this game will do well in the next installment, hopefully they will sort out the AI and the story.

As it stands atm, the game feels like a fairly rough diamond *oh, see what I did there :p*, it has potential, but it needs to be polished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Has anyone been playing multiplayer much? After SecureRom, this matchmaking system is the biggest load of cock I've ever come across. Do I want to play a map consisting of 2 buildings on a 200sq m area? No. Do a get an option not to? No.

****ing hell I can't get over how bad the experience is. Not to mention the fact that it takes about 10 minutes to find an open server for the Uprising mode. It really looks like they did zero testing on the multiplayer experience.

I've not played the multiplayer yet. Heard that it's not up to much. Will check it out in a few months when people start making good maps.

I just bought the camo suit. Do I have to do anything to active it? or is it assumed to be always "on". Does it only work in shadow?

grizzly wrote: »
    I just bought the camo suit. Do I have to do anything to active it? or is it assumed to be always "on". Does it only work in shadow?

yeah was a bit pissed that you can't see him wearing the camo. if you check your upgrades menu you will see that it is enabled as soon as you buy it.

It really only works at night when you are crouched, not moving in the grass. If you move and someone is looking at you they will see you. Also if you are still and someone gets close to you they will see you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has anyone been playing multiplayer much? After SecureRom, this matchmaking system is the biggest load of cock I've ever come across. Do I want to play a map consisting of 2 buildings on a 200sq m area? No. Do a get an option not to? No.

****ing hell I can't get over how bad the experience is. Not to mention the fact that it takes about 10 minutes to find an open server for the Uprising mode. It really looks like they did zero testing on the multiplayer experience.
    I warned you :p Yes, the multiplayer is a heap of shít, and there's no two ways of putting it. Terrible games, worse UI (with some newb-like mistakes). Uprising's about the only thing worth recommending but good luck finding a server, joning it & getting past the useless interface (for me, this alone killed it) & frustrating game mechanics.

As for maps, they have really shot themselves in the foot with this one, because their map editor is for multiplayer maps only & with a Multiplayer experience this poor, who would bother? The problem isn't the maps, they're ok - it's purely the experience. Maybe if they opened up the SP the community might embrace the editor, but I doubt it on this evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Been playing this on 360 and it's enjoyable and frustrating at the same time. As MooseJam mentioned the Silenced weapons don't work. Basically if you fire everyone comes running. Same happens with the machete and Dart Rifle.

I crept into a town the other day and followed a guard around the back of a building where he proceeded to take a slash. I ran up behind him and slit him with the machete only for the entire place to erupt in gunfire. That's crap. Happens a number of times were i creep up behind someone to machete them and they start riddling me with bullets with their back turned. Very annoying.

Collision detection is poor as well. If you pop out a tiny bit behind a tree and start shooting you will hit the tree. Same happens when you can see someone hiding. Really painful.

I managed to do one of the last missions the other night by creeping into a mansion and assassinating a guy with my silenced MP5 and the place didn't erupt but thats a first. It was great to be able to complete a mission without having to kill anyone but the target.

I'm enjoying the game but once I complete it there will be no going back. Online is pretty poor too. Only played once but found it clunky beyond belief

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've got this for the 360 and find it a slog, no real variance in the missions, aside from being a really nice postcard of war torn africa I don't see how this is going to maintaon my interest at all.
    Say it gets better, please!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've got this for the 360 and find it a slog, no real variance in the missions, aside from being a really nice postcard of war torn africa I don't see how this is going to maintaon my interest at all.
    Say it gets better, please!

get to around 60% through it. If you don't like it by then then just quit. It really picks up past the 50% mark

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

L31mr0d wrote: »
    yeah was a bit pissed that you can't see him wearing the camo. if you check your upgrades menu you will see that it is enabled as soon as you buy it.

It really only works at night when you are crouched, not moving in the grass. If you move and someone is looking at you they will see you. Also if you are still and someone gets close to you they will see you.

So in other words it's pretty useless and an utter waste of 45 diamonds.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Total waste I found.

yeah pretty much. Why it cost 45 diamonds I'll never know. I mean there's no weapon that even costs that much. Although it is handy if you are running away, just crouch in the grass and they'll stop shooting at you.

On a few assassination missions I was able to sneak right into the base, kill the guy and out again without having to fight anyone. I think I was only able to this because I had the camo suit.

Then again, maybe I had buyers remorse and I was trying to convince myself it was worth it :o

pixelburp wrote: »
    I warned you :p Yes, the multiplayer is a heap of shít, and there's no two ways of putting it. Terrible games, worse UI (with some newb-like mistakes). Uprising's about the only thing worth recommending but good luck finding a server, joning it & getting past the useless interface (for me, this alone killed it) & frustrating game mechanics.

Finally started finding a fair few games now but this matchmaking is still the most idiotic thing I've come across. Punkbuster is also kicking me from games because apparently it can't update :mad: I'm playing on a vanilla install of XP...this game is the only thing installed :rolleyes:

Uprising is great when you get a team playing together.

The single player really does just require a different approach, as people have mentioned. I play it for about an hour in the evening, then I've had enough...but by the next evening I'm dying to play again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

have any new patches been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just one on the website, v1.01 :(

They're gonna release another one in the next few weeks - http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1521068375/m/5451021507

Looks like they're gonna fix the matchmaking idiocy in multiplayer...apart from the widescreen fix it looks like the patch is almost entirely for multiplayer.

I've been playing a lot more multiplayer recently than singleplayer and i'm liking it a lot. The network issues have almost disappeared for me and once these patches go through it should be much smoother.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im 77% through the game and im stuck in the bit
    where your in the cell,what are you suppose to do to get out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Im 77% through the game and im stuck in the bit
    where your in the cell,what are you suppose to do to get out?
    Theres a dodgy wall in the cell afaik break through it

• Advertisement

thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

The XBox 360 version is getting downloadable content, new weapons (silenced shotgun, sawnoff shotgun, crossbow) and new vehicles (gun truck thing, and quad bike, ha)
    No word about the predatory animals yet though.

And there's some new nVidia drivers out, hope they fix the crashing I'm still getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Uprising is great when you get a team playing together.

Best part of the whole game. I had one the other night where we organised a motorcade to taxi the captain to the different flags, I was driving and he was in the back of the JEEP. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I just started playing this weekend and am liking it so far. The gun fights are great fun and I love that the RPG isn't a sacred tool to be used only for certain points in the game, and is available from the get go. Also had great fun with the revolving barrel grenade launcher I got from that Paul guy, just walked straight into the radio guy's compound and blew everything up :D.

It's bloody hard though and I'm only playing on normal difficulty. I tend to die a lot in the larger gunfights as it's kinda hard to tell where exactly the bad guys are with such detailed scenery and backgrounds. Hopefully this is just temporary though since I'm not really used to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BopNiblets wrote: »
    silenced shotgun

How the hell does that work :confused:

EDIT not very well apparently :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5P0LXemAA

I was thinking more like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLOiCYkkBg
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

new weapons are now unlocked at the weapon shop? :confused:
    77% through, just after escaping the prison - get this message, and theres nothing new in the shop for me... wtf?

Wossack wrote: »
    new weapons are now unlocked at the weapon shop? :confused:
    77% through, just after escaping the prison - get this message, and theres nothing new in the shop for me... wtf?
    It unlocks the weapons you haven't previously unlocked. If you've already completed all the gun merchants missions there will be nothing new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Console version of this for sale for eur35 in HMV.

Advertisement