Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Skittle wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation there Brian. Play says it has shipped but its been over a week now and still no sign!

Last month i waited 22 days for a book to come from them another 2 are currently in the post going on a week and a half now and i really dont expect it for another week or two as their devilery time's seem's to have risen massively lately not sure what has happened they are normaly quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

yeah. everyone recently seems to be having a problem with play.com these days. i think. orders are taking forever to get delivered. usually you i was certain that the delivery would be with me within 3 or 4 days after dispatch. sometimes quicker but this is getting ridiculous. im never gonna buy a game off play.com again. i'm dying to play this game and its been out over a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'm living in London so it probably doesn't count, but I got mine two days after they said it was sent so it must be customs holding it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Otacon wrote: »
    I'm living in London so it probably doesn't count, but I got mine two days after they said it was sent so it must be customs holding it up.

Ya now you mention it some of the box's have quite large stickers going on about budapest or some nonsence (dont have a box handy to get the full wording) i remember googling it and its customs must be a christmas thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Just started playing this, the machineguns on the back of jeeps are a joke, I've fired at some bloke maybe 50 yards away for 30 seconds or more and he's still firing back at me, yeah right lol, also the rifles are underpowered, note to developers if you shoot any bloke in the chest with ONE 7.62 mm round they go down, it doesn't take four or five, still I'm liking it so far

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

MooseJam wrote: »
    Just started playing this, the machineguns on the back of jeeps are a joke, I've fired at some bloke maybe 50 yards away for 30 seconds or more and he's still firing back at me, yeah right lol, also the rifles are underpowered, note to developers if you shoot any bloke in the chest with ONE 7.62 mm round they go down, it doesn't take four or five, still I'm liking it so far
    Yes, there's some big bug with the truck MGs becaues the same thing happens to me.If I'm chased by someone, it's easier to stop the jeep, hide behind it and wait til they park next to you because you just can't hit shít with that MG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I tried to like this game, I really did. However it frustrated the hell out of me at every turn. I kept getting killed by random patrols and had to travel over the same distances over and over. I felt like I was spending more time trying to get from A to B, fixing my jeep or fighting patrols than actually doing missions.

The story was very hard to get into. And the audio mixing for the dialogue sections is poor. On Friday night I was down the very bottom of the map and realised I had to get to very top. I drove halfway up after taking several wrong turns due in part to my bad driving and in part to the hard to follow in-game map. (Yes I know there's buses but it's a stuggle to even get to the stations). Finally after getting run over by some soliders I realised I wasn't really arsed anymore and turned the game off.

I traded my copy on Saturday for Fallout 3.

Farcry 2 is definately a game that's better on the PC for one reason: Quicksave. That would cut off replaying the same sections over and over because you drove your jeep into a tree or got run over by yet another "random" patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

silvine wrote: »
    Farcry 2 is definately a game that's better on the PC for one reason: Quicksave. That would cut off replaying the same sections over and over because you drove your jeep into a tree or got run over by yet another "random" patrol.

Yeah I know a friend in work who bought it for the trophies but is regretting it now due to the lack of a quick save. There have been a few times where I've died just as I got to the objective and thought to myself "man if I didn't have quicksave, traveling that distance again would irritate the hell out of me"

Also, I've started traveling by water a lot more, it's a lot easier to outrun checkpoints and navigation is fairly simple as most of the rivers never branch and usually always get your very close to your objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bought this Friday, will be returning it tomorrow, I tried to get into it but the frustration factor is off the charts in this, guys who take dozens of rounds in the head before they go down, vehicles that break down after 2 bullets are shot at them, getting malaria attacks in every big gunfight, the weapon recoil is a joke every time you use an assault rifle you cant see what you're shooting, i'm all for realism but thats just insane, plus the random patrols make getting around incredibly annoying, its almost like playing Final Fantasy getting in random battles when all you want to do is move a few hundred feet up a road.

I'm also completely SICK of the GTA style in which games are being presented these days as well, cat get weapon C unless you do a few missions so you "upgrade" yourself to be able to use them, you're a Marine for ****s sake! you should be just able to use whatevers available , its an antiquated way of gaming that just wont die

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I'm on the fence really. Great game engine, beautiful and authentic visual/map design etc. but flawed game design. It looks like they ran out of time trying to put some meaningful and engaging content and filled in the holes with stupidly fast respawning guard posts (yes let them respawn but not within 2 minutes ffs, give us some reason to be glad we took the time to clean house). I just hit Act 2 and it's getting a lot more challenging which is good so I'll give it a bit more time but right now I'm playing it for the scenery/game-tourism as much as anything.
    Just in reply to some previous posts, and this is based on the PC version (I NEVER play FPS on a console, just seems wrong ;) ). One head shot will kill and enemy, even from a silenced pistol, it's just very hard to get that shot. One shot from the Dragunov (which isn't even the best rifle) to anywhere on the body will kill outright 90% of the time. As for the amount of bullets it takes to kill enemies otherwise, well it's a game....what about the fact you can be riddled to swiss cheese and save yourself with a handy injection? :). The basic vehicle mounted gun is a lot like the machine guns you can get yourself, i.e. very inaccurate, fire in short bursts and 50 yards is really pushing it. it doesn't have the fire rate to make up for it's lack of accuracy at those kind of ranges and doesn't pretend to either, just adapt your tactics to suit the weapon - also don't even think of firing it without iron sights. The upgraded cannon now is a whole different ballgame, very accurate and does a lot of damage, if you get it before the end of Act 1 (from Buddy missions) you're set, but a lot of the enemy vehicles have them on Act 2 :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Finished it last night.
    The ending was as expected pants.

A very cold, unemotional ending. For a game about civil war and mass numbers of people becoming refuges and having to leave their homes or get killed etc they really fail to make it actualy hit home with the player. (the game in general)

I could have been playing space invaders as far as I was concerned: may as well have been with the amount of retard AI enemies that I killed over the course of the game.

Personally I think they should have pulled a condemned 1 on this: much less enemies, more random when they attack. And when you see you its a case oh shi..t. Seriously you can barely walk a mile in the game without coming across 3 check points at being attacked by two random jeep patrols. Takes all suspense out of the game: you expect there to be a base around the corner, oh wait there is just, just like I expected.

Also having an AI that actually has some tactics other than charging at you.
    (hhmmm man have jeep with mounted grenade launcher, me charge down straight road directly in front of man so he can blow me up)

Not that I am saying AI is very easy to program, but they could have at least scripted a few things to make to AI a little more human like and a bit less retarded. Also an AI that is a little less aim bot would be nice.

To be fair they did get the fire right. Only game I have really played where petrol bombs are done proper. Who doesn't like setting things on fire? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It arrived this morning. took longer than i hoped. getting to play it now after a week of it being released. play.com shipped it through Budapest.

uberpixie wrote: »
    To be fair they did get the fire right. Only game I have really played where petrol bombs are done proper. Who doesn't like setting things on fire? :D

Yeah its the one thing that keeps impressing me. You have to look at the situation and see if fire will be an asset or not (i.e In sandy areas it won't spread and in concealed areas there won't be enough wind to spread it fast)

You can also look at which way the trees are blowing and judge where would be the best point to set a fire so that it will spread through a checkpoint.

I'm onto the second map now and the sheer number of checkpoints and patrols is getting increasingly annoying. I only recently unlocked the mounted weapon upgrade and now everyone has it... what was the point?

Also, I can understand 20 diamonds for a sniper rifle, or 10 diamonds for a SMG... but 45 FREAKIN DIAMONDS for a CAMO SUIT??? This suit better be equivalent to the suit you get in Crysis. What the hell would make someone hand over 45 diamonds for a set of overalls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Bought it, beat it, couldn't care less about it.

Where are the helicopters?
    Why does it take 15 rounds to drop a NPC?
    Why do I have to travel so much?
    Why is the hit detection completely off?

Come on UBI soft where are your standards going these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes, there's some big bug with the truck MGs becaues the same thing happens to me.If I'm chased by someone, it's easier to stop the jeep, hide behind it and wait til they park next to you because you just can't hit shít with that MG.

I thought I was the only one having problems with the vehicle MGs. Can't hit anything, even if its 10 feet away. Although I did notice late last night when the mouse slipped that aiming low seems to work better, maybe the aim is off.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah I know a friend in work who bought it for the trophies but is regretting it now due to the lack of a quick save. There have been a few times where I've died just as I got to the objective and thought to myself "man if I didn't have quicksave, traveling that distance again would irritate the hell out of me"

Also, I've started traveling by water a lot more, it's a lot easier to outrun checkpoints and navigation is fairly simple as most of the rivers never branch and usually always get your very close to your objective.

Travelling by water definitely seems easier. Only problem is you keep stopping to look for diamonds then realising they're at the top of teh cliff you're beside.

I've just been using the blue save boxes all the time.
    I didn't even realise there was a quicksave until I hit F5 looking for a screenshot. I'm only about 25% in but I've only been killed once (rescued a few times though)

Really starting to enjoy it. It's the times when everything goes wrong that are the best. Like when you're crouched for cover behind a jeep which explodes and flips over on top of you.
    Or mopping up a check point, saw a guard in one of the buildings with his back to me. Big yellow explosive barrel in the next room. Backed quietly out the door, shot the barrel - bloody thing half exploded and came flying straight out the door at me. Now the grass is on fire around me, the guy's shooting at me, I'm running for my car to get it moved before it goes up in flames, turn around to see a second barrel take off like a rocket 50 feet straight up and half the camp goes up with it.

Fire is fun.

Anyone else not realize you can get a bus straight from/to Pala? I only realised right before I unlocked the second map that I could do it :mad:

Why the hell isn't there a bus symbol at Pala on the map? I only realized purely by chance as I was at the bus station wanting to go somewhere else and seen you could go straight to Pala :confused:

Anyone else not realize you can get a bus straight from/to Pala? I only realised right before I unlocked the second map that I could do it :mad:

Why the hell isn't there a bus symbol at Pala on the map? I only realized purely by chance as I was at the bus station wanting to go somewhere else and seen you could go straight to Pala :confused:

There's a bus symbol on the smaller map of Pala itself, on the street running southwest out of the town. It's very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

dav nagle wrote: »
    Bought it, beat it, couldn't care less about it.

Where are the helicopters?
    Why does it take 15 rounds to drop a NPC?
    Why do I have to travel so much?
    Why is the hit detection completely off?

Come on UBI soft where are your standards going these days?
    Thought you couldn't care less about it? :p

MOH wrote: »
    There's a bus symbol on the smaller map of Pala itself, on the street running southwest out of the town. It's very handy!

Yeah I see that now. Don't know why I didn't notice it before. I guess I was always looking at the larger map which doesn't have a bus symbol on it for pala

Anyway, some more screenshots. Taking screenshots in game is fairly handy, you just press "¬" then type screenshot (or type "sc" then hit tab). You can also press "esc" if you are in the middle of a firefight and bring up the console. It will take a screenshot of your game and not the menu.

65959.jpg

65960.jpg

65961.jpg

65962.jpg

65963.jpg

Yeah I see that now. Don't know why I didn't notice it before. I guess I was always looking at the larger map which doesn't have a bus symbol on it for pala

Anyway, some more screenshots. Taking screenshots in game is fairly handy, you just press "¬" then type screenshot (or type "sc" then hit tab). You can also press "esc" if you are in the middle of a firefight and bring up the console. It will take a screenshot of your game and not the menu.

Ah, thanks for that. Odd there's a pre-mapped key for video but nothing for screenshot.

Yeah, you'd think that bus stop would be marked on the main map too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Anyone using the guns on the back of the jeeps, you have to have to have to use the iron sights IMO...the perspective seems to be way off on where you're aiming if you don't use them.

It does take a silly number of torso shots with the starting guns to drop an NPC, but I find that with a couple of short bursts I generally drop them quickly...I like the way that if you go rock n roll with the automatics you haven't a hope of keeping it on target. The lack of a selector switch is a pain in the arse and a very lazy oversight by the developers.

Anyone using the guns on the back of the jeeps, you have to have to have to use the iron sights IMO...the perspective seems to be way off on where you're aiming if you don't use them.

It does take a silly number of torso shots with the starting guns to drop an NPC, but I find that with a couple of short bursts I generally drop them quickly...I like the way that if you go rock n roll with the automatics you haven't a hope of keeping it on target. The lack of a selector switch is a pain in the arse and a very lazy oversight by the developers.

Yeah you have to look down the sights of every gun otherwise your shot will be way off. I mean its realistic. If you've ever had to shoot any gun from the hip it is extremely difficult to get it remotely accurate. I've tried it before with a semi-auto rifle and I couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Also, if you watch the spray pattern from the mounted gun (shoot at water to see the spray pattern) it gets very inaccurate if you hold it down for any more than a second. Short bursts is the way to go. Personally I only use initially to blow up all the barrels, stockpiles and lamps at a checkpoint to flush out all the baddies. Once they are out I hop off the truck and pick them off.

What do you mean by a "selector switch"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What do you mean by a "selector switch"?

Most guns(AK, M4/16, G3 etc) have a switch for safe, single shot and automatic. Farcry seems to have glossed over the single shot for the rifles.

Most guns(AK, M4/16, G3 etc) have a switch for safe, single shot and automatic. Farcry seems to have glossed over the single shot for the rifles.

yeah I thought that's what he meant. I've heard it refered to as "firing mode" or "firing rate" but never "selector switch"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anybody know of any cheats for FC2 so far? Can't find anything that works on the web.

Confab wrote: »
    Anybody know of any cheats for FC2 so far? Can't find anything that works on the web.

Get the trainers from here: http://m0020.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_far_cry_2.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm sure he's got a console :D Cheats aren't really a pc thing, are they? Console gamers have been complaining that this games too hard, I'm finding it easy enough on hardcore on pc

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Yup...Although burst/full automatic would be the options I'd look for. Safe not so much :p

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm sure he's got a console :D Cheats aren't really a pc thing, are they? Console gamers have been complaining that this games too hard, I'm finding it easy enough on hardcore on pc

yeah, I think the difficulty in this game was tailored for the console. When you have the accuracy of the mouse it really makes the game very easy. I mean I can usually clear out a checkpoint with my semi-auto sniper rifle before the first NPC has reacted to the shot.

Also, PC cheats can be fun once you've completed the game. I wouldn't mind infinite flamethrower ammo. I wonder how much of the world I could set on fire at the same time :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

MOH wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for that. Odd there's a pre-mapped key for video but nothing for screenshot.

Yeah, you'd think that bus stop would be marked on the main map too.

Printscreen worked fine for me... It saves the screenshots in my documents > my games > Far Cry 2 > screenshots

Advertisement