Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there ever be a Bobby Sands Street in the country?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

"...loughgall? 8 unarmed members of the IRA murdered in a ambushed by british troops..."
    That's the first I heard about the IRA at Loughall being unarmed. They were on a mission to destroy a police station. You can argue about whether it right to shoot them as compared to trying to arrest them. But the notion that they were some kinds of innocents just walking down the road is nonsense. If the boot was on the other foot they wouldn't have hesitated-not for once second-to kill any British soldier or RUC man, armed or unarmed , that they encountered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Pgibson wrote: »
    Typical.

Most Irish people have nothing but contempt for Bobby Sands.

When the Brits let him starve himself to death they saved the lives of the people he would have shot dead if he had got out.

You are so wrong there! Most people see Bobby Sands as a selfless individual, who gave up his life for his beliefs, whether they agree or disagree with the IRAs campaign.

There was and still is huge empathy for Bobby and the other hunger strikers from throughout the world. Did the 30,000+ people who voted for him in the Fermanagh/South Tyrone bye-election have contempt for him? I think not!
    This sacrifice is in stark contrast to our modern day politicians who would'nt care enough to take a 10% wage cut from their exhorbitant pay to save the country from going down the pan!

You should go and see the film 'hunger' which is out in cinemas at the moment, and you might gain a better insight into the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Seeing as Castlebar town council wouldnt name a road after Ernie O' Malley I cant see them ever getting the balls to name one after Bobby Sands.

"....a selfless individual, who gave up his life for his beliefs,..."

The willingness to give your life for a cause does'nt guarantee your righteousness or morality. In Iraq there have been individuals who willingly sacrificed their own lives to kill American soldiers. There have also been individuals who willingly sacrificed their own lives to destroy markets crowded with women and children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Seeing as Castlebar town council wouldnt name a road after Ernie O' Malley I cant see them ever getting the balls to name one after Bobby Sands.

sure what do you expect? wasn't mayo a good little free state county during the civil war;)

• Advertisement

sure what do you expect? wasn't mayo a good little free state county during the civil war;)

Actually we voted anti-treaty and the vast majority of the volunteers in the county fought on that side. Its only in recent years Mayo has become a Fine Gael stronghold and thats more due to personalities than politics-if some prominent members of Fianna Fail were from this county things would be very different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Actually we voted anti-treaty and the vast majority of the volunteers in the county fought on that side. Its only in recent years Mayo has become a Fine Gael stronghold and thats more due to personalities than politics-if some prominent members of Fianna Fail were from this county things would be very different.

oh right, i stand corrected, sorry. but i thought mayo was reasonably contained with sean mceoin's free state army during the civil war (he was meant to have done really well quashing irregulars in the midlands-west)

oh right, i stand corrected, sorry. but i thought mayo was reasonably contained with sean mceoin's free state army during the civil war (he was meant to have done really well quashing irregulars in the midlands-west)

Mayo had some pretty intense fighting at the start of the civil war but a combination of McEoins excellent command of the free state troops from the midlands, and the surprise landing at Westport meant the irregulars were on the run before long. Then their leaders such as Michael Kilroy were all captured and so fighting died down after november 1922 or so. Thats a good thing really because Mayo (and Connacht in general) never experienced the horrible atrocities that started to take place in Munster. Therfore civil war divisions arent as bitter in Mayo as they would be in Kerry for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RSF Cill Dara

sure Fianna Fail are west brits also

ilkhanid wrote: »

The willingness to give your life for a cause does'nt guarantee your righteousness or morality. In Iraq there have been individuals who willingly sacrificed their own lives to kill American soldiers. There have also been individuals who willingly sacrificed their own lives to destroy markets crowded with women and children.
    ocupation breeds resistance pal ;)

• Advertisement

"ocupation breeds resistance pal" wink.gif
    All right "pal". Explain to me how occupation by US soldiers leads to "resistance"(?) against girls in school buses,women shopping and people going to weddings? None of them American soldiers, oddly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gardaitester06

Eventually yes there will be something named after him. Not likely outside of 9 county Ulster, but possibly in Dublin or Kerry.

Your argument is flawed for a few reasons:
    1) The hunger strikers gave up their own life and didn't take any other lives in the process of this action.
    2) It is an ancient custom in Ireland to try and shame concessions out of your enemy by hunger striking. Thatcher clearly had no shame and was happy to allow people to die. The hungers strikers are regarded by many people as heroes and martyrs for the cause, like Ashe, McSwiney, McCurtain and many who died before them in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loyko_irl

On a visit to Iran last summer my hotel was right outside Bobby Sands street and the British embassy. To dispell the myth, the embassy is not actually on Bobby Sands street but the road runs behind it, the main entrance and the postbox is actually on the other side of the Square.

The street name may be doomed though, the street itself is only about 400m long and has a sign on both ends. On one end, as you can see from the photos the street is called Bobby Sands, but on the other end it has been replaced with a new spelling "Babbi Szandz street"

Its all very bizarre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

I think in years to come, Bobby Sands will have something named after him, be it a street, train station, school etc, or maybe a statue. History will show him as self-sacrificing martyr, up there with the 1916 leaders in terms of historical hero figures. I certainly think he deserves the recognition anyway!

What about naming a KFC or crash diet after him ?

thats disgusting

"ocupation breeds resistance pal" wink.gif
    All right "pal". Explain to me how occupation by US soldiers leads to "resistance"(?) against girls in school buses,women shopping and people going to weddings? None of them American soldiers, oddly enough.

Number of Iraqis Slaughtered In War and occupation of Iraq 1,284,105.
    Seen as their attacked on a regular basis either gunned down or a random bomb. This will result resistance weather you agree with them or not.I have no support for the Al-Qaeda as an organisation , but to say they have no good men is ignorant .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You could at least try and come up with something funny. That is actually a sad pathetic attempt, do try again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A question. Did Mr Sands believe that 'the slaughter of the innocent was necessitated by his desire for a change in the administrative arrangements under which his homeland was governed.' and have a speech about it?

A question. Did Mr Sands believe that 'the slaughter of the innocent was necessitated by his desire for a change in the administrative arrangements under which his homeland was governed.' and have a speech about it?
    slaughter of inocents? could you explain? MP Bobby Sands did not support the british army(slaughter of inocent) as he was a member of the IRA :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

As in he had no problem killing innocent people to further his goals. I am quoting a review on the film about him, Hunger.

"That is actually a sad pathetic attempt, do try again."
    Really? I thought it was rather amusing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

slaughter of inocents? could you explain? MP Bobby Sands did not support the british army(slaughter of inocent) as he was a member of the IRA :confused:

err, are you trying to imply the IRA did not slaughter innocents? it is what they did for a living.
    Really? I thought it was rather amusing

aahh, you see, you should know the rules. excusing murder by calling it an accident (You know, planting a bomb in a pub and then finding out the nearest phone box has been vandalised, we've all been caught out by that old chestnut at sometime:rolleyes:)is ok. rejoicing in the death of British soldiers is ok, or even British politicians and members of the royal family.

You are even allowed to describe respected politicans as "Fat, ugly war criminals" if they are British.

But don't, whatever you do, mock a terrorist who commited suicide because he couldn't get his own way, because he is holier than god:rolleyes:

Really?

Yes really

aahh, you see, you should know the rules. excusing murder by calling it an accident (You know, planting a bomb in a pub and then finding out the nearest phone box has been vandalised, we've all been caught out by that old chestnut at sometime:rolleyes:)is ok. rejoicing in the death of British soldiers is ok, or even British politicians and members of the royal family.

You are even allowed to describe respected politicans as "Fat, ugly war criminals" if they are British.

But don't, whatever you do, mock a terrorist who commited suicide because he couldn't get his own way, because he is holier than god:rolleyes:

I have described Reid, Bush and Blair as war criminals not fat though. Your attempt at sarcasm is pitiful as well

I have described Reid, Bush and Blair as war criminals not fat though. Your attempt at sarcasm is pitiful as well

I wasn't just refering to you.

I'm noty a big fan of sarcasm personally, but in this instance i thought it worked quite well.

err, are you trying to imply the IRA did not slaughter innocents? it is what they did for a living.

Winston Churchill is i'm sure the fat, ugly, war crimininal you refer to. Well he did sanction the carpet bombing of Dresden when WW2 was all done and dusted which makes him a war criminal in most peoples eyes! Are you trying to tell us you think he was slim and handsome? :D

Winston Churchill is i'm sure the fat, ugly, war crimininal you refer to. Well he did sanction the carpet bombing of Dresden when WW2 was all done and dusted which makes him a war criminal in most peoples eyes! Are you trying to tell us you think he was slim and handsome? :D

Well, I don't think he would rivaled Bobby for slimmer of the year:P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gardaitester06

loyko_irl wrote: »
    On a visit to Iran last summer my hotel was right outside Bobby Sands street and the British embassy. To dispell the myth, the embassy is not actually on Bobby Sands street but the road runs behind it, the main entrance and the postbox is actually on the other side of the Square.

The street name may be doomed though, the street itself is only about 400m long and has a sign on both ends. On one end, as you can see from the photos the street is called Bobby Sands, but on the other end it has been replaced with a new spelling "Babbi Szandz street"

Its all very bizarre

What actually happened here is kinda funny.... The Iranians named the street that the embassy was on "Bobby Sands St". The Brit embassy address was then "bobby sands st.. etc etc". So what they did was brick up the main entrance and knocked out a new one on the other side of the building AND on a different street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Well, I don't think he would rivaled Bobby for slimmer of the year:P

Did you find Nairac yet lads ? ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement