Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great videogame finds in the wild?

Options
  • 29-10-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

So, what great stashes have you come across in the most unexpected places? For some strange reason I seem to just stumble across things. It's quite a talent actually ;)

The greatest ever was a charity shop around Capel street. A friend of mine was going around to most of them in town, asking if they had any old consoles in their storerooms. He managed to find one that said to come back as they had a few upstairs.

I decided to go back with him as a matter of interest.

What we found was like nothing I have ever seen. I really wish I'd have had a camera.

The corner of the room upstairs was a huge pile of old electronic goods, all tangled up in wires. It must have taken years to accumilate.

To my happy suprise, about 40% of all the goods were consoles and games. You were literally lifting up cables and finding another console. I think I found 7 or 8 N64s alone. (To my delight, some of which had expansion paks! :D)

We spent about three hours going through it, untangling wires and trying to free up consoles. I'd lift up some random old electronic blender or sandwich maker, and there'd be a NES or a Megadrive sitting under it.

Sadly, by the time we were asked to leave, we had only really scratched the surface. God only knows what else was under there. There was what looked like some form of Amiga within the pile but I just couldn't get to it in time. My mate was hassling me to help him look for the cables needed to test out the consoles he wanted to buy :mad:

Other than that, there was my cash converters bonanza, about 20 n64 games marked at 2 euro each. (Priced wrong but he let me have them anyway)

My mint fully boxed NES in a Bray charity shop for €15.

My mam found a Snes in a bray charity shop with 25 games. Pretty much all the best games for the console. I actually couldnt believe the quality of the collection. Whoever had originally bought the games had really good taste. It even came with a region adapter, two controls, game geanie...all for 15 euro!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

An Atari 7800 plus games for 10 euro in the Balbriggan Sunday market, not to mention a box fresh Megadrive 1 with Sonic, again in new condition, all for 10 euro as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

A few years back I was up at Letterkenny Car boot sale.It was getting late and I'd seen enough, until I spotted a Nes cart sticking out from under a load of books and magazines in a box.By the time I had pulled it out and freed his other fallen comrades I had a total of 27 Nes carts.How much did the seller want I hear you ask???? €17 :eek: sweet.

Then last year at the same boot sale I picked up a boxed Snes,1 joypad and game for €13.Although I had a Snes I quickly picked it up and went on to sell it with about 9 duplicates last December on Ebay for €127 :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Getting my N64 out of a Flea Market when I was out in Vancouver, Canada. It was maybe the first week I was there, really nice in September and sunny. It was Sunday, and the family I was temporarily staying with asked me if I wanted to go to church with them.....so I said "Oh I would!....but I'm going to the Market!"

So having dodged that bullet, I walked down. I couldn't believe it. It was like heaven on Earth, almost every table had something. I should have bought everything I saw - boxes of SNES games, each cart just $10, the same with N64 games. They had stuff I didn't even know about like Colecovision's. I finally settled on an N64 in it's carrier bag, great condition.

I got 2 controllers, a rumble pak and a memory card plus Resident Evil 2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy and some American Football game that I soon ditched. It cost me $55 which would have been about 30 euro? Then I ran around to another table and bought Goldeneye for $10! I also saw a Virtual Boy out there, but that was for sale by a Games Dealer - dodgy bastards :/ But I did manage to get an expansion pak off one of them for $15 for Perfect Dark.

I went out a few more times, and bought a boxed NES for $40. Sadly I had to leave that behind as I just couldn't fit everything into my bags.

Aside from that, the time I got Super Street Fighter II on the Sega for $3 in a charity shop, also in Canada. It was boxed and all with instructions. It's my joint favourite SF alongside Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    An Atari 7800 plus games for 10 euro in the Balbriggan Sunday market, not to mention a box fresh Megadrive 1 with Sonic, again in new condition, all for 10 euro as well.

I really need to go down there, I've no excuse it's like 2 a 2 minute drive from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

I was at a car boot sale on Sunday and spotted Final Fantasy VIII for 1 euro!.
    I picked it up saw that it was in mint condition, however Disc 1 was missing :(
    I plan on getting FF8 after finishing FF6.. Ah well..

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really need to go down there, I've no excuse it's like 2 a 2 minute drive from my house.

What are the Car Boot sales or Flea Markets around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

I was at Dun Laoghaire Car boot sale, happens on the last Sunday in every Month. It's over now though until March i think...

Feck. I was in a couple of charity shops in town and they told me they don't accept electronic goods because they're not insured or somesuch thing :/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Feck. I was in a couple of charity shops in town and they told me they don't accept electronic goods because they're not insured or somesuch thing :/

They do. They just don't put them on sale.

Therefore the upper floors are gold mines! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭phillo

Best find EVER!!!!!!!

3 arcade machines in a skip.
    • 1 fully working,
    • 1 needing some work
    • 1 donor machine for parts (smashed screen)

There was a SF2Turbo board and MK3 Ultimate board installed in them. I managed to salvage some buttons and joysticks from the 3rd machine.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    They do. They just don't put them on sale.

Therefore the upper floors are gold mines! :D

No I checked, they don't take them in at the collection stage. Tried Oxfam, Barnardo's and a few others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

hmm, all this talk of charity shops and finding retro goodness in them gets me thinking...theres 2 charity shops in the village literally across the road from my house, i must ask them....

oh p.s, o1s1n, did you buy anything in that charity shop?

Master of the Universe

phillo wrote: »
    Best find EVER!!!!!!!

3 arcade machines in a skip.
    • 1 fully working,
    • 1 needing some work
    • 1 donor machine for parts (smashed screen)

There was a SF2Turbo board and MK3 Ultimate board installed in them. I managed to salvage some buttons and joysticks from the 3rd machine.

Wow! I take it the skip was outside an arcade operators?
    No I checked, they don't take them in at the collection stage. Tried Oxfam, Barnardo's and a few others.

They must have just totally stopped recently. I know there was a legal issue where they couldnt sell second hand electronics. But Ive been buying stuff from them up until the last year.

Even if they're still not taking them in, chances are their storerooms (especially if it's an old shop) are still full of gear. They're just not legally allowed give any of it to you. Worth chancing your arm though ;)

Actually another great place is recycling places. There's one around the corner from me that I've picked up several ps1s in.
    hmm, all this talk of charity shops and finding retro goodness in them gets me thinking...theres 2 charity shops in the village literally across the road from my house, i must ask them....

oh p.s, o1s1n, did you buy anything in that charity shop?

You might as well give it a go!

In the first charity shop I mentioned, I only bought games. There was a fairly huge amount of Megadrive carts. Which was exactly what I wanted to see! Many of them boxed. I've never seen so many Sonic 2 carts in one place.

All the consoles that were coming out I already had. So I let my mate have them as he was only really starting off his collection (What a way to start!) Did get myself a n64 expansion pak though. And quite a few control pads. Actually I almost bought an original gameboy but they wanted a tenner for it. Pff, the cheek!

My friend left with a big cardboard box full of stuff. One thing the git wouldn't let me have was a fully boxed Japanese Nes copy of Double Dragon that he somehow pulled out of the mess.

I'm not joking, it was literally

'OMFG, LOOK AT THIS!'

*Finds something really interesting*

'That's nothing, look at this!'

Over and over again for 3 hours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

yeah, ill give it a shot

i myself have never come across anything great :(
    allthough i did get a boxed 'cube + boxed memory card and a game for €20, but thats the best ive gotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 An Sionnach Rua

I'm going to have to check out the charity shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

'Pulstar' MVS cart, found wedged behind the money box in the Jamma arcade cab I bought a few months back. Dusty but working perfectly.

Howzat :D

(Hi o1s1n ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

ambro25 wrote: »

(Hi o1s1n ;))

hehehe the Airsofters are invading :pac: I even have Conor_MR2 buying MVS carts for me on the bay.

As for sweet finds - I can't say I have any at all, I did see a PC Engine Turbo (portable) in Japan for 60 euros, but thats hardly a find, seeing as there as loads of class things for sale......I seriously need to go back with an empty suit case :o

Master of the Universe

ambro25 wrote: »
    'Pulstar' MVS cart, found wedged behind the money box in the Jamma arcade cab I bought a few months back. Dusty but working perfectly.

Howzat :D

(Hi o1s1n ;))

Out of all the MVS games you could find jammed in there, you get Pulsar?

The luck of some people!

Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    hehehe the Airsofters are invading :pac: I even have Conor_MR2 buying MVS carts for me on the bay.

Tell me about it! I've too many expensive hobbies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

mine i have a few now final fight cd for 3 euro, megadrive and megacd for 7 euro. metal gear on nes for 6 euro, and alot more just can't think of any at the mo, oh ssf2 cps2 with a and b board 20 euro.

• Advertisement

appleidog wrote: »
    mine i have a few now final fight cd for 3 euro, megadrive and megacd for 7 euro. metal gear on nes for 6 euro, and alot more just can't think of any at the mo, oh ssf2 cps2 with a and b board 20 euro.

Gah my Metal Gear cost me $14 in Canadian :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gah my Metal Gear cost me $14 in Canadian :/

It's garbage as well. MSX version is were it's at.

msx, did you guys see the micro msx that have recently come out. they are clear. and around the size of a famicom 8bit.

hmm, i went to 5 charity shops and got the same reply for all of them: we dont accept electrical/electronic items (yet for some reason they accept lamps...) i asked did they have anything out the back or in a store room and they said no

i may try find this sacred charity shop that o1s1n was talking about

oh p.s how long ago was that?

Master of the Universe

hmm, i went to 5 charity shops and got the same reply for all of them: we dont accept electrical/electronic items (yet for some reason they accept lamps...) i asked did they have anything out the back or in a store room and they said no

i may try find this sacred charity shop that o1s1n was talking about

oh p.s how long ago was that?

Fair play for you for trying anyway! Where abouts were you looking?

uhh, in rathfarnham and dundrum (seeing as they're the most local)

i tried 2 oxfam's, mrs quinns, st vincent de paul and some womens charity thing place

ill go into town tomorrow and see if i can find that place, but i have an interview with game first *nervous*

Master of the Universe

Well the one I went into was around Capel street. There's a model shop a few doors down from it.

I doubt anyone has been into that storeroom since we were there a few years ago.

mmhmm, thats probably true, ill just go in and ask do they have any old consoles in the store rooms

anything anybody wants me to look out for if i do find it, and do get into this sacred room?

what are you guys looking for atavan?

oh and congrats at your interview at game. Hope you get it.

• Advertisement

everything and anything!

is there anything you want me to look out for if i get there?

oh thanks! its just for xmas temp but still, its my first job so yeah :D

Advertisement