Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rashers wrote: »
    I'm not if this is 1930s or '40s. But its Moore Street, (looking towards Parnell St). MooreSt40s.jpg

I aksed on the classic motors forum if anyone could date that picture based on the cars visible. answers ranged from the 20s to the 50s!

The cars seem to be 20s, so I suppose anywhere up to the 40s is possible (cars lasted longer in them days!)

My daughter has a huge interest in fashion, and she reckons that based on the clothes and hats the ladies are wearing the picture is from the early 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

deswalsh wrote: »
    My daughter has a huge interest in fashion, and she reckons that based on the clothes and hats the ladies are wearing the picture is from the early 30s.

I'd be inclined to agree with your daughter, but not because of the fashions of which I know nothing. The reason I think 30s is as far as I know there was a petrol shortage here during the war years and up to about 1949-50. Yet for such a small street there's a lot of cars.

Here's one taken on a cold day around the corner in Abbey St., 1936

AbbeySt1936.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Cracking thread.

Its been a quite a few years since I strutted around Dublin as a young fella. Does anyone have any pictures of those little Johnston Mooney O'Brien bakery trucks that used to deliver bread to houses or any old Irish Press scooter delivery boys or paper sellers circa 1970's?

I've been North and I've been South
    I've been East and West
    I've been just a rolling stone
    Yet there's one place on this earth
    I've always liked the best
    Just a little town I call my own

For Dublin can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll in Stephen's Green
    There's no need to hurry
    There's no need to worry
    You're a king and the lady's a queen
    Grafton Street's a wonderland
    There's magic in the air
    There's diamonds in the lady's eyes
    And gold-dust in her hair
    And if you don't believe me
    Come and meet me there
    In Dublin on a sunny Summer morning

I've been here and I've been there
    I've sought the rainbow's end
    But no crock of gold I've found
    Now I know that come what will
    Whatever fate may send
    Here my roots are deep in friendly ground

For Dublin can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll in Stephen's green
    There's no need to hurry
    There's no need to worry
    You're the king and the lady's a queen
    Grafton Street's a wonderland
    There's magic in the air
    There's diamonds in the lady's eyes
    And gold-dust in her hair
    Come and meet me there
    Come and meet me there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

G Locfk wrote: »

And in 1975 (do you know whose funeral?)

damestreet1975-1.jpg

Just found this thread - fab pics!
    The funeral is that of Eamon De Valera, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gipi wrote: »
    Just found this thread - fab pics!
    The funeral is that of Eamon De Valera, no?
    Coming up Cork Hill by the look of it. (Note that Dr Barnardo Park didn't exist).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

Oops, on second reading of the entire thread, I spotted that the question which I answered was a re-post and had been answered already....my bad!

Still a great thread though!

gipi wrote: »
    Oops, on second reading of the entire thread, I spotted that the question which I answered was a re-post and had been answered already....my bad!

Still a great thread though!
    I'm asleep also - I thought you had just posted that pic! :)

An old pic of His Majesty's Excise Store in Mayor Street.........

MayorStreetExciseStoreOld.jpg

........and the same building in April 2008.

MayorStreetLowerExciseStoreWide.jpg

Who can give me info about what you see here.... what it is... where it was... anything?

where.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Do you know the answer yourself Rashers, or are you trying to identify the spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It looks to me like Doyles pub on the corner of College St
    but am open to correction, as i'm sure will be forthcoming :)

[edit]
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swqw9mggbq6v&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29506805&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&where1=college%20green%2C%20dublin%2C%20ireland&encType=1
    [/edit]

I reckon that's the spot, alright, though there must be another georgian corner somewhere in Dublin with a similar shape

deswalsh wrote: »
    Do you know the answer yourself Rashers, or are you trying to identify the spot?

I know it well.

Igy wrote: »
    I reckon that's the spot, alright,

Nope.

As well as asking where it was maybe I should have asked what it was too... ie the name of the building at that time.

But even the street name, or some real info showing you know where/what it was will make you a winner.

KingsInnSeat.jpg

KingsInnsSeat2.jpg

EDIT: Oops - apologies Rashers - didn't realise you had a 'live' question! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

is it on auinger street?

EDIT: Oops - apologies Rashers - didn't realise you had a 'live' question! :o

Not to worry. Just filling in a bit of quiet time.

I like your two pictures. Makes me wonder at the age of the tree.

is it on auinger street?

Nope. Go south east.

Could it be where starbucks currently is at the train-station end of Harcourt St?

Love that tree, Ash, was thinking of taking a pic of it for the 'how well do you know dublin' thread, it's nice :)

Could it be where starbucks currently is at the train-station end of Harcourt St?

No.

Clue: It was once a very well known establishment..... on the corner of a very well known street.... but it didn't sound Irish.

• Advertisement

was thinking of taking a pic of it for the 'how well do you know dublin' thread, it's nice :)

Sounds like that could be a great thread. If it's started please give us a link (can't find it).

If it's not started why the feckin hell not, and when are ya going to get cracking? :P

Sounds like that could be a great thread. If it's started please give us a link (can't find it).

If it's not started why the feckin hell not, and when are ya going to get cracking? :P

My mistake, there's a thread by that name over on archiseek.com
    http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=4641

It's 30 pages long by now, so might take a while to read through

The thread here is 'Dublin picture game', which I'm sure you're familiar with
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055139669
    That one is 132 pages long by my count, so... eh....wow.

The one on archiseek is basically a combination of this thread and the Dublin Picture Game thread here, same idea, the archiseek ones are often historic photos or sketches or of buildings long-since demolished, so it's tricky

Ste.phen wrote: »
    My mistake, there's a thread by that name over on archiseek.com <>The thread here is 'Dublin picture game', which I'm sure you're familiar with

Ahh thanks. I'm familiar with both and have contributed to both too.

I thought it might be something along the lines of a Q&A thing on little known facts about Dublin. That could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Great pic of the tree and the chair..
    Where is it .. ?? , is it still there ??

Tks ..

It's here:
    http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=swrsxdgg9j0p&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=29506797&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

In the park area on the grounds of Kings Inn College, opposite Phibsborough Bus depot.
    (Tree is just to the left inside the right-most gate)

Ste.phen wrote: »
    It looks to me like Doyles pub on the corner of College St
    but am open to correction, as i'm sure will be forthcoming :)

Looks like no one else is gonna have a guess so here it is in all it's former glory.

It's the old Scotch House on Burgh Quay (corner of Hawkins St). A tiny piece of the Constable Sheehan memorial can be seen extreme left.... and the Fun Palace (remember that thread?) was just to the right, part of it in picture.

Scotch20House.jpg

Scotch20House.jpg

Here's a pic of the same site in 2008. The building now occupied by the Irish Aviation Authority. (The Sheehan memorial is at the centre of the pic).

BurgQuayHawkinsStreetIrishAviationA.jpg

Great pic Wish... thanks.

Someone told me or I read it somewhere that the Sheehan Memorial had to be moved a few feet to facilitate the widening of Hawkins St. Seems wrong if it was moved.

Nothing special, but you get a look at Grafton St in 1974.

• Advertisement

God, imagine how many of his family & neighbours he bored to death with that home movie when he got home!!

Advertisement