Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

No idea. Apparently there are rumours floating about for another reclassification spree, maybe some will be included in that.

As it stands, only Shannon northwards is possible for motorway, as the Shannon - Limerick bit is too bendy for motorway and has a rake of private access and some dismal junctions.

Perhaps the Ennis bypass will only be 100kmh as it standard DC. Newmarket on Fergus bypass is HQDC as will be Gort-Crusheen and Oranmore-Gort. So they'll likely get the 120kmh if they reclassify.

Read into this what you will
    The recent NRA appointment of a contractor for the N18 Gort to Crusheen 22 Km Dual Carriageway will significantly advance the Western Corridor. The project is to proceed in the Autumn and when completed will link Limerick to Gort via the Ennis By Pass on a full dual carriageway and enhance economic activity in the area with the linkage of Gort to Galway by Dual Carriageway expected to proceed in 2010. OHB Corporate Finance Client in Aggregates, Concrete & Asphalt Manufacture well positioned to supply this project.

http://ohbconsulting.ie/news.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

Who is this mysterious contractor, and why have they not issued a press release telling all the world about their success? Or has nobody seen it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

They are currently fencing off the area around Crusheen where the new road will go. So does that mean contracts has been signed and they are getting ready to commence work i wonder?? Would be great if it was the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

glineli wrote: »
    They are currently fencing off the area around Crusheen where the new road will go. So does that mean contracts has been signed and they are getting ready to commence work i wonder?? Would be great if it was the case

Sounds like it. Fencing always foreshadows earthworks from what I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I can't seem to find any online evidence that this project is about to start. The NRA website says 'tender' stage, but it's said that for many months now. As for the Galway roads website, as informative as it is, I'd say it hasn't been looked at for the last 2 years. There aren't many news updates, and none recent enough to be of any relevance.

I'd just like to know what's going on with this scheme...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I can't seem to find any online evidence that this project is about to start.

N18 Athenry-Gort has been cancelled. It was originally in the 2008 start list but has now been cancelled and will not go ahead in 2008 OR in 2009

N18 Gort-Crusheen will now possibly be pushed back to 2009 but it will start in 2008 or in 2009

On the radio news ( newstalk or rte) this evening .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    N18 Athenry-Gort has been cancelled. It was originally in the 2008 start list but has now been cancelled and will not go ahead in 2008 OR in 2009

N18 Gort-Crusheen will now possibly be pushed back to 2009 but it will start in 2008 or in 2009

On the radio news ( newstalk or rte) this evening .

Well at least that's something...

Well at least that's something...

I told ye all many times and months ago that Gort - Athenry was cancelled .

That means that the N17/M17 is also cancelled for want of a junction. The N17/M17 will always be 2 years behind the N18 becuase of that funny roundabout near Athenry.

That means that if the M18 Gort-Athenry starts in 2010 we could see the M17 start in 2012 with completion around 2015 .

That means that the N17/M17 is also cancelled for want of a junction. The N17/M17 will always be 2 years behind the N18 becuase of that funny roundabout near Athenry.

That means that if the M18 Gort-Athenry starts in 2010 we could see the M17 start in 2012 with completion around 2015 .

Well like I said, if the Crusheen to Gort scheme starts, it'll be something at least...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Well like I said, if the Crusheen to Gort scheme starts, it'll be something at least...

yep the only good news from today

At least they didnt can the gort/crusheen one. It needs to be done badly as gort is such a bad bottleneck now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tying yourself in knots. First you say Gort-Athenry is cancelled, then you say it'll likely start in 2010? It's deferred, not cancelled.

You know it's deferred now, but back in July you were just guessing. The decision to defer was only made during the recent budget discussions. Up until then, Ennis-Gort-Athenry was all to proceed at the same time.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Tying yourself in knots. First you say Gort-Athenry is cancelled, then you say it'll likely start in 2010? It's deferred, not cancelled.

That was by way of pointing out that the M17 project cannot possibly start until 2 or 3 years after the M18 Gort-Athenry project starts as the major N6 junction is part of the M18 contract .

You delay one you delay the other in lockstep !

My mole tells me that Gort - Crusheen is the only N Road project in the country that could now start in 2009 ( ie diggers on site digging ) along with Newlands Cross.

Everything else has been sent off towards infinity , or beyond :(

Naturally this gives the N20 time to play catchup through its route selection and detailed design and possibly even the EIS stage ![/quote]

You know it's deferred now, but back in July you were just guessing. The decision to defer was only made during the recent budget discussions. Up until then, Ennis-Gort-Athenry was all to proceed at the same time.

I KNEW in March :cool: I then shared this knowledge in May

To my utter astonishment the Gort - Crusheen scheme was possibly salvaged from the wreckage and may start to be built next year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

My mole tells me that Gort - Crusheen is the only N Road project in the country that could now start in 2009 ( ie diggers on site digging ) along with Newlands Cross.

I thought that the N7 Newlands Cross upgrade was long fingered too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

I thought that the N7 Newlands Cross upgrade was long fingered too...

Yep, that's what it says in The Irish Times.

Well either way, as Sponge Bob said, the M17 and M18 schemes which tie into the M6 are completely interdependent on each other.

They both have to go ahead at the same time, and that means there has to be sufficient capital, and in this case, I don't think such capital will be available until 2012 at the earliast. :( (That's being optomistic btw - :().

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Bluntguy, they aren't interdependant. The M17 project is dependant on the M18, as the latter includes the junction with M6. The reverse is not the case - the M17 could be cancelled and it wouldn't affect the M18 (just some stubs going to nowhere on the M6 junction).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

But as schemes on the main inter-urbans complete in 2009/2010, would this not mean that a similar level of expenditure (or even slightly less) the following year would allow work continue?

ardmacha wrote: »
    But as schemes on the main inter-urbans complete in 2009/2010, would this not mean that a similar level of expenditure (or even slightly less) the following year would allow work continue?

It would indeed were there any money to spend. I don't think people fully realise that the government expenditure and income projections issued before the budget are a work of the purest fiction.

The deficit in 2009 is firmly on course for 9-10% of GDP and 10-11% of GNP unless further corrective action is taken on the public finances .

If any form of bank of recapitalisation is required the deficit will hit an eye watering 15-20% in 2009 .

That means no more ( or very few ) road or rail projects will be started in the next few years .

This years budget is there to pay for what is already underway not for future projects.

By 2011 the capital budget for new roads will be precisely €0 at this rate of new starts , that is 2 years and 3 months from now.

In a best case we will be back to 2002/2003 levels where for all classes of roads

Transport Capex 2002 = €1.2bn

Transport Capex 2003 = €1.45bn

In 2004 the NRA alone got €1.28bn

Realistically We are most likely headed back to the late 1990s when the NRA typically got about €350m a year and finished about 10-15km of HQDC M50 type roads a year and a few bypasses here and there.

By 2011 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

We are most likely headed back to the late 1990s when the NRA typically got about €350m a year and finished about 10-15km of HQDC M50 type roads a year and a few bypasses here and there.

Some capital expenditure gives the government a fig leaf to borrow when coming under pressure in the Euro etc, so this may help. Slower road building may not be a total crisis when the major inter urban have been built (unless you live between Cork and Limerick) but rail plans would be destroyed.

Let me put it another way , even if there is €1bn a year for transport for the next 12 years to 2020 thats €12bn total .

That would do the full interconnector, metro north as a ppp , M18 M17(to Tuam) M20 and a few dribs and drabs like the n11 and n4 to longford and new ross bypass . Thats all it could deliver properly. Don't forget the €400m to be sent up north either .

All by 2020 , wahaaay !!

Instead I think we will largely be back to Enfield type emergency single lane bypasses such as in Claregalway and maybe metro north.

90% confirmed that Gort - Crusheen starts in November 2008.

Gort - Oranmore, possibility of 2010.

New fencing has appeared around Crusheen too.

90% confirmed that Gort - Crusheen starts in November 2008.

Gort - Oranmore, possibility of 2010.

New fencing has appeared around Crusheen too.

They were working on the fencing today, a bank holiday, shock horror!!!

ClareFM were reporting that machinery is moving onsite first week in November, lets hope that is November 2008!!!!

The Transport21 website claims that this scheme is to start in 'Early 2009' and that the Gort-Athenry scheme will start in 2010 at the earliest.

It also however claims that the Metro North is scheduled for completion by the end of 2013, a ridiculous notion by anybody's standards at this stage, so the validity of the site is questionable.

However, something tells me that in this case, the website is correct...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

If there was less corruption and better leadership this road would have already begun construction.

My message to the government right now "WAVES"

Stop blaming the downtunrn on the lack of windmills, bailout, oil prices, lack of ginger cats etc.

Get your finger out and finish the project you promised twice already.

Or I will bloody make a show of fianna fail between now and December ;)
    Now WAVES again.

Get the N18 finished
    Get the Metro North and Interconnector started.
    Get Newlands finished, and future proofed to 4 lanes each way, The traffic levels here require it, Got that, good.

Just stop beating around the bush and just do it..

The END.

CONSTRUCTION WORK is due to get under way shortly on the next phase of the "Atlantic corridor", with the National Roads Authority (NRA) confirming it has signed a contract for the bypassing of Gort and Crusheen.

The cost of the scheme is €207.5 million and the consortium to secure the contract is SIAC Wills JV.

The road scheme consists of 23km of dual carriageway and commences at the northern end of the Ennis bypass and extends to approximately 1km north of Gort, bypassing the village of Crusheen and the town of Gort. An NRA spokesman said construction work was expected to start in the coming weeks and the project was expected to be complete in 2011.

The scheme is expected to reduce journey times between Limerick and Galway cities and follows the bypassing of Ennis and Newmarket-on-Fergus along the N18 route.

However, arising from Government budgetary cutbacks, the next phase of the Atlantic Corridor has been deferred for at least a year.

The Gort-Oranmore scheme involves the construction of 28 kilometres of dual-carriageway and is to link up at a major junction with the N6 Galway to Ballinasloe and the M17 Galway-Tuam route.

At the oral hearing concerning the Gort-Crusheen scheme, Galway County Council said the construction costs of the project were €156 million with 11km of the scheme in Co Clare and 12km in Co Galway. As part of the scheme, the lead agency in the project, Galway council is compulsorily acquiring almost 200 hectares of land contained in 103 farms on the route.

The scheme involves the severance of 340 hectares of farmland, while the route will pass within 300 metres and 3km of nine designated special area of conservation or national heritage areas.

© 2008 The Irish Times

:D

Interesting to see 2011 as the finish date. i wonder will they do like the ennis one and up it in stages, with the full dual carriageway opening first and then the slip roads somebit later.

Anyway its great news!!!

• Advertisement

mmm doubt it for this one. Thing with Ennis was it was a horrific bottleneck and had a LOT of side road work (including several km of extra DC and a southern bypass). Crusheen - Gort is a simple scheme generally, a DC with two junctions. Although it would be nice for them to bypass Gort first, they'd have to open Gort - Crusheen junctions first which would leave the worst bit of road between Crusheen and the Ennis bypass.

I'd say this one will be just opened and thats all there is. Unless they open Ennis bypass - Crusheen junction first, but that would make Crusheen a bottleneck, which it isnt now. As it stands the current bit of bad road kinda filters it a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement