Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do ppl hate veggies?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Cianos wrote: »
    Nearly everyone is a meat eater by default. One has to make a conscious decision not to eat meat. Those who do decide not to eat meat make that decision because they have moral issues with where their food is coming from. As shown above, the qualms between meat eaters/vegetarians usually comes down to conflicting egos. Obviously nobody likes to think of themselves as immoral, and nobody likes someone who tries to impose their morals on someone else.

Vegetarians simply feel stronger about the issue, have put more thought in to it on average (hence following through with the conscious decision not to do what they have been doing by default).

I'm not saying that vegetarians are morally superior, or anything like that, it's just a different way of putting your morals in to practice. I don't look down on anyone who is a meat eater, the same way I don't look down on someone who doesn't donate to charity or whatever. Everyone has their own way of practising their morals.

My personal view is that it is fine to eat meat. I wouldn't call a lion that eats an antelope immoral, so why should I call a human that eats a cow immoral? Go out and shoot a pheasant, or go fishing and eat your catch, I wouldn't have a problem with this whatsoever. However, the way in which the meat industry operates, and the level of torture the animals are put through is completely unacceptable. That is my moral issue and that's why I don't want to eat meat.

I'm quite sure that if you organised tours through meat factories for regular meat-eaters-by-default, a significant % of those people would choose to become vegetarian. In the same way that if you organised tours through child labour factories, a significant % of those people would vow never to buy from brands that use these factories. Everyone knows it's wrong, but they're just not close enough to the reality to care much about it.

The argument could run for pages about what is natural, what is more healthy, so eat what you like tbh, but if you choose to eat meat you have to accept upfront that you are supporting an industry that is despicably cruel and torturous.

Excellent post. Nail on head.

Nobody should give anyone a hard time about their diet. End of. No matter what side of the fence you're on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

kraggy wrote: »
    Excellent post. Nail on head.

Nobody should give anyone a hard time about their diet. End of. No matter what side of the fence you're on.
    as a bona fide culchie and carnivore im cool with the methods of production and dont care about the political arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Judging by all the veggie preachers on this thread it should have been called why do people hate meat eaters.

This is the vegan & vegetarian forum so of course there will be more veggies posting on this thread then if it were posted in another forum.

I honestly don't know where everyone is eating and who your eating with that your getting such abuse from either side. I've never had any issues from friends over being a veggie and like wise I've never given anyone abuse for eating meat. I've friends who've been on weight watchers who've been very painful to eat with and kosher friends who've driven me up the wall reminding me every 5 seconds that they are kosher but never an issue with a vegan or veggie.

ztoical wrote: »
    . I've never had any issues from friends over being a veggie and like wise I've never given anyone abuse for eating meat. I've friends who've been on weight watchers who've been very painful to eat with

fat friends and werent you tempted to an all you cant eat vegetarian rant

CDfm wrote: »
    fat friends and werent you tempted to an all you cant eat vegetarian rant

your just trolling now.

• Advertisement

your just trolling now.
    no - i often do a bit of gratuitous eating in front of dieters wondered do veggies do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have a sister who is a veggie and she has much the same attitude;each to their own. However I have come across some extremely militant types in my time. Often it has been a combination of animal rights and vegetarianism.
    In my experience it is from this group that preaching can come, particularly those who made the choice based on the belief that killing animals is wrong.

I also think that we tend to associate that type of militancy with all veggies.
    In asking the question "why are you a veggie?", there can be a subconscious suggestion that there is something wrong with it. For some people there is also a genuine bewilderment as to why someone doesn't like a good steak or a nice big fry. And it is also the kind of conversation that can invite extreme positions.

Personally agree with most comments here, your diet is your business and we have no business telling other people what to eat or not to eat, beyond where overeating might be involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OK.
    Just to absolutely clarify here:

You, in the 21st century, are proposing the humans are (and always have been?) by nature, vegetarian. You are proposing that meat-eating is a behavioural abnormality in the human brain that goes against natural dispositions? Have I got it right so far?

I think the problem is that the poster thinks the words carnivore and omnivore are the same thing. He/she uses examples of carnivorous behaviour to decry omnivorous behaviour. I suspect he/she may be lacking in some vital proteins.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    there does seem to be clear evidence that meat eating makes people incredibly stupid.
    If you look back at the charter:
    Proselytizing is a bannable offence on this forum. In other words, no telling people they're chosen diet is wrong. Some examples would be a meat-eater calling all vegetarians stupid*, or vegans calling lacto vegetarians unethicalª. There is no universal right and wrong when it comes to food. No guilt trips please, just friendly support & chat.
    I can understand people hating people who deem them stupid, like that poster did.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

This is the vegan & vegetarian forum so of course there will be more veggies posting on this thread then if it were posted in another forum.
    I was referring to the question.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the poster thinks the words carnivore and omnivore are the same thing. He/she uses examples of carnivorous behaviour to decry omnivorous behaviour. I suspect he/she may be lacking in some vital proteins.

cadevore please - its not like i hunt and kill before every meal or scavenge:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

rubadub wrote: »
    I can understand people hating people who deem them stupid, like that poster did.

An inability to see a post in context only proves my (tongue in cheek) theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

*Off topic post deleted*

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

As someone who would be very interested in animal rights, the behaviour of groups that undertake that kind of activity in recent years has ensured that I will never get involved to any degree in any kind of animal rights group - I make the best decisions I can about the products I personally buy etc but the existence of nutters digging up & stealing someone's body has I think turned a huge number of people away from any involvement and understandably so IMO.

I think this is a ridiculous statement to make, you are tarring all animal rights groups with the same brush, and if as you say, you don't get involved then you obviously don't know some of the great work that many do. Its only the fringe nutters who do these extreme acts that are certainly not condoned by the animal rights movement as a whole.

Maybe you should do some reading up before you make such ignorant posts

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

taibhse wrote: »

I was on the Alliance for Animals Rights mailing list for a number of years, I read all the Animal Rights Action Network & Irish Anti-Vivisection Society press releases & have done for a number of years, I've also heard Bernie Wright (who is the spokesperson for Alliance for Animal Rights) interviewed on numerous occasions...... to the best of my knowledge they are the main three groups in Ireland (though I'm very welcome to correction on that) so I have done a fair bit of reading on the topic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ZYX wrote: »
    As long as you accept you are not eating meat free simply "low meat". The cheese will not be vegetarian, the wine to either drink or used in cooking will not be vegetarian, stocks used will probably be meat based, many sauces will contain meat and anything deep fried will also contain meat
    If a choice is on the menu as vegetarian - then these things will not be an issue.
    My point being is that we are always used to hearing gratuitous comments by vegetarians on what the rest of us eat...
    but its usually vegeterians who want to arrogantly convert the rest of us at mealtimes
    Seriously, where do you eat?!? you seem to have had a terrible time from the few veggies you know. I have never tried to convert anyone. The veggies I know wouldn't either. It seems the majority of veggie posters here wouldn't try to convert anybody, so where are you getting this opinion from?
    I've been a veggie for the last 13 years..... I've never felt "under attack" from anyone over my choices - slagged in a light hearted way or questioned in an interested way but never attacked..... Mind you then again I never comment on what others are eating
    Thats my point exactly, I have never felt under attack or hated. In fact even the thought of it is ridic to me. And I also wouldn' comment, so it begs the question, are the veggies who feel victimised, the very people the omnis are giving out about - the preachy types who put themselves in the position of feeling like they have to defend themselves?

Vegetarian is a lifestyle choice and I am fine with that.Each to their own.

Great :D:p

IM not into the whole argument Peta and all that. But when I see animal rights activists doing things like digging up and kidnapping dead bodies in the UK as a form of protest I loose all sympathy with animal rights activists. While I would have had some concerns on testing on animals -that one excluded me as a supporter and it would be very difficult - almost impossible so dont try -to get me back on board.
    Groups like peta do annoy the hell out of me. I would never be associated with a group like that because of the stupid stunts they pull. They manage to make anybody with an interest in animal right look like a nut job. And only take away from the seriousness of the issue.

taibhse wrote: »
    I think this is a ridiculous statement to make, you are tarring all animal rights groups with the same brush, and if as you say, you don't get involved then you obviously don't know some of the great work that many do. Its only the fringe nutters who do these extreme acts that are certainly not condoned by the animal rights movement as a whole.

So the people shoving leaflets showing cases of extreme cruelty into the hands of children in buggies are fringe nutters too? (this actually happened to my sister, my mother went back to them, handed it back and told them that she would no longer support their cause.)
    It's stunts like that, which would not be considered extreme that would cause me to :rolleyes: and ignore what they are saying.

as a bona fide culchie and carnivore im cool with the methods of production and dont care about the political arguments.

Really? Because as a bond fida culchie, I have higher expectations when it comes to animal care.
    I can't see anyone I know being cool with the principle of factory farmed cattle. So why a chicken?

Seriously, where do you eat?!?

+1 this is the part that I don't get. The most attention I ever pay to what other people are eating when eating out is to ask if people are ordering just a main dish or are we going all out and getting starters and desert/tea/coffee. Seriously have you nothing better to talk about during your meals other then what everyone else is eating?
    where are you getting this opinion from?

I would like to know that too, exactly how many times has this happened to or have you witnessed it when eating out? I'm trying to think of any one time myself, anyone I know, or just random strangers eating at a different table have started going on about being veggie. Where are you eating or who are you eating with that this is a regular enough diner conversation topic to make you want to bitch about it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I would like to know that too, exactly how many times has this happened to or have you witnessed it when eating out? I'm trying to think of any one time myself, anyone I know, or just random strangers eating at a different table have started going on about being veggie. Where are you eating or who are you eating with that this is a regular enough diner conversation topic to make you want to bitch about it online?

I think it does happen, but in all likelihood these discussions are instigated by meat eaters. I know I get it myself on work nights out, etc.

I've never encountered the preachy stereotype of a vegetarian that all of the meat eaters seem to have a problem with. Are these people really that common? Seems much more likely that people are misremembering situations where vegetarians defended their position having first been challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

I am vegan, and avoid telling people that I am unless I am asked. And usually I say I am a vegetarian, to avoid the lengthy explanations that are mostly met with misunderstanding and disbelief. I am so sick of the battering I get I tell people that I am vegan mainly because I like the way it makes me feel :light and energetic. As this cannot be argued with, people usually end the illy questioning there. These days I tend to stay away from the animals rights rhetoric and remain vegan mainly because I truly do like how I physically feel from it.
    here is a few statistics which are hugely relevent to anyone interested in the benefits of a vegan or vegetarian diet. NOTE: I said "to anyone interested" so it is not intended in being preachy and if it is perceived so, that is in the hands of the reader.......even if you think statistics in general are nothing to go by,at this level you could halve the %s in favour of veganism and still have very convincing figures.....

The Hunger Argument:
    Number of People worldwide who will die of starvation this year: 60 million
    Number of people who could be adequately fed with the grain saved if Americans reduced meat intake by 10%: 60 million
    Human beings in America: 243 million
    Number of people who could be fed with grain and soybeans now eaten by US livestock: 1.3 billion
    Percentage of corn grown in US eaten by people: 20%
    Percentage of corn grown in US eaten by livestock: 80%
    Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90%
    Percentage of oats grown in US eaten by livestock: 95%
    How frequently a child starves to death: every 2 seconds
    Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 20, 000 lbs
    Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 165 lbs
    Percentage of US farmland devoted to beef production: 56%
    Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce 1 pound of feedlot beef: 16 lbs.

The Environmental Argument:
    Cause of global warming: greenhouse effect
    Primary cause of greenhouse effect: Carbon Dioxide from fossil fuels
    Fossil fuels needed to produce a meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 50 times more
    Percentage of US topsoil lost to date: 75%
    Percentage of US topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85%
    Number of acres of US forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet: 260 million acres
    Amount of meat US imports annually from Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Panama: 200, 000, 000 pounds
    Average per capita meat consumption in Costa Rica, El Salveador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Panama: Less than eaten by average US house cat
    Area of tropical rainforest consumed in every quarter-pounder hamburger: 55 sq. ft.
    Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses: 1, 000 species extinct per year

The Cancer Argument:
    Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat four times a week vs. less than once a week: 4 times
    Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat eggs daily vs less than once a week: 3 times
    Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat cheese and butter 3 or more times a week vs less than once a week: 3 times
    Increased risk of ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs less than once a week: 3 times
    Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times

The Natural Resources Argument:
    User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the US: Livestock production
    Amount of water to produce a pound of wheat: 25 gallons
    Amount of water to produce a pound of meat: 2, 500 gallons
    Cost of common hamburger if water used by meat industry was not subsidized by US taxpayer: $35/pound
    Current cost of pound of protein from beefsteak, if water was no longer subsidized: $89
    Years the world's known oil reserves will last if every human ate a meat-centered diet: 13 years
    Years the world's known oil reserves will last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260 years
    Barrels of oil imported into US daily: 6.8 million
    Percentage of fossil fuel energy returned as food energy by most efficient factory farming of meat: 34.5 percent
    Percentage returned as food energy from least efficient plant food: 328%
    Percentage of raw materials consumed by US to produce present meat-centered diet: 33%

The Cholesterol Argument:
    Number of US Medical Schools: 125
    Number requiring a course in nutrition: 30
    Nutrition training received by average US physician during four years in medical school: 2.5 hours
    Most common cause of death in the US: Heart attack
    How frequently a heart attack kills in the US: Every 45 seconds
    Average US man's risk of death from heart attack: 50%
    Risk for average US man who avoids the meat-centered diet: 15%
    Risk for average US vegan man: 4%
    Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of animal products by 10 percent: 9%
    Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of animal products by 50 percent: 45%
    Amount you reduce risk by changing to a vegan diet: 90 percent
    Meat, dairy, and egg industries claim you should not be concerned about your blood cholesterol if it is: "normal"
    Your risk of dying of a disease caused by clogged arteries if your blood cholesterol is "normal": greater than 50%

The Antibiotic Argument:
    Percentage of US antibiotics fed to livestock: 55%
    Percentage of staph infections resistant to penicillin in 1960: 13%
    Percentage of staph infections resistant to penicillin in 1988: 91%
    Response of European Economic Community to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: Ban
    Response of US meat and pharmaceutical industries to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: Full and complete support

The Pesticide Argument:
    Percentage of pesticide residues in the US diet supplied by grains: 1%
    Percentage of pesticide residues in the US diet supplied by fruits: 4%
    Percentage of pesticide residues in the US diet supplied by vegetables: 6%
    Percentage of pesticide residues in the US diet supplied by dairy products: 23%
    Percentage of pesticide residues in the US diet supplied by meat: 55%
    Pesticide contamination of breast milk from meat eating mothers vs non-meat eating: 35 times higher
    What USDA tells us: Meat is inspected
    Percentage of slaughtered animals inspected for residues of toxic chemicals such as dioxin and DDT: less than 0.00004%

The Ethical Argument:
    Number of animals killed for meat per hour in US: 500, 000
    Occupation with highest turnover rate in US: Slaughterhouse Worker
    Occupation with the highest rate of on-the-job injury in US: Slaughterhouse
    Worker Cost to render animal unconscious with "captive bolt pistol": 1 cent
    Reason given by meat industry for not using "captive bolt pistol": Too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

My counter argmument to all of the above

1x Burger King Double Meat Beast

Had one last night and it should end all discussion about the benefits of veganism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My counter to the above, you are banned.

--
    Tar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Electrofilth can you provide a source for those figures? Maybe its just a typo or they are (quite) old, but your population of America (assuming you mean the USA and not America in general) is out about 100 million, or close to. I might go through them later in more detail but I don't have time to atm.

population of the United States of America is estimated at 305,508,000 in 2008.
    it would of been 243 in the mid-nineties, when I guess the stats are based. All figures are comparative, therefore they apply in broad context, and if anything are more relevant these days, considering mis-use of land, food shortages and rising cost of food.
    the indispensable FACT is that if you fed people with the grain used to feed cows and livestock in general, that would be a hugely more beneficial and effecient use of land.

Not to mention the amount of water (something that is becoming more precious as the years tick by) that is used to rear animals, compared to vegetables. This is simple common sense, you do not need any statistic to back it up.

Basically this planet is not and will not sustain itself because to the mis-use of resources caused by peoples diet.

Personally I am vegan because of the health benefits, but knowing my diet is environmentally beneficial too makes me want to share this information, considering a lot of people these days care about the environment and want to know what effect their lifestyle has on it.If you do not care, then avoid the information provided, simple as that.

the main reason a lot people hate veggies is that they do not like to hear of any other way to live their life other than the way they live it now. Hearing about alternative religions, diets or anything that benefits others makes people get defensive about their own choices hence the onslaught of attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of my best friends is a vegan. Even though I make jokes about the fact he's a vegan, I respect his choice.

I wouldnt say I hate vegans, but it does affect the people around you. Several times we've gone out he has to check wine bottles, spend 10 minutes asking (mostly foreign) waitresses/people in takeaways etc, whats in this? whats in that? is that cooked in this? Its just really annoying. If he's down at my house, he won't sit on the leather couches so another chair has to be brought in for him.

Like I said, he's happy doing this, but it annoys me and other friends. I've refused to go on a holiday with him because theres no way I'm sitting in a spanish restaurant or bar where he's asking if the rice was boiled or fried.

Not to mention the fact that he went to a nutritionist who told him he shouldn't be a vegan, vegetarian yes, but not a vegan, yet he still just buys more vitamins and stuff.

Like I said, I kinda respect his choice, because it is his choice, but its very frustrating hanging about with him because of all this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

it would of been 243 in the mid-nineties, when I guess the stats are based. All figures are comparative, therefore they apply in broad context, and if anything are more relevant these days, considering mis-use of land, food shortages and rising cost of food.
    the indispensable FACT is that if you fed people with the grain used to feed cows and livestock in general, that would be a hugely more beneficial and effecient use of land.

Not to mention the amount of water (something that is becoming more precious as the years tick by) that is used to rear animals, compared to vegetables. This is simple common sense, you do not need any statistic to back it up.

Basically this planet is not and will not sustain itself because to the mis-use of resources caused by peoples diet.

Personally I am vegan because of the health benefits, but knowing my diet is environmentally beneficial too makes me want to share this information, considering a lot of people these days care about the environment and want to know what effect their lifestyle has on it.If you do not care, then avoid the information provided, simple as that.

Um, ok. You didn't provide a source though, would you be kind enough to do so? (or are you perhaps unwilling to due to perhaps extra political issues on the website or something?) I'm not sure it is common sense that more water has to be used rearing animals than veg. It depends an awful lot on climate of a region, suitability for a crop or animal, type of farming (intensive, covered, etc). Rice for instance uses a huge huge amount of water. There's no doubt that there is an awful lot wrong with the US system of production (which is why so much of it is prevented from entering the EU market) but that doesn't mean rearing animals is universally bad.
    the main reason a lot people hate veggies is that they do not like to hear of any other way to live their life other than the way they live it now. Hearing about alternative religions, diets or anything that benefits others makes people get defensive about their own choices hence the onslaught of attacks.

There's another reason people tend to not like vegans-if you look at the adversarial tone of your above post, in particular the last line or two, as well as the bolded "fact" you'll see exactly why it people have a problem with your choice. Or rather, with you.

If a choice is on the menu as vegetarian - then these things will not be an issue.

Seriously, where do you eat?!? you seem to have had a terrible time from the few veggies you know. I have never tried to convert anyone. The veggies I know wouldn't either. It seems the majority of veggie posters here wouldn't try to convert anybody, so where are you getting this opinion from?

Great :D:p

Groups like peta do annoy the hell out of me. I would never be associated with a group like that because of the stupid stunts they pull. They manage to make anybody with an interest in animal right look like a nut job.

Usually the vegetarian stuff has come up as part of family/domestic/guest situations - really I tried to accomadate - but I have become less tolerant.

But what about the protests targeting McDonalds and KFC.

Forgive me but I used to be really annoyed at the Anti-Vivesection Bunch accross from Trinity and the GPO - this crew had the pictures a kids eye contact level and I had to small kids who found it upsetting.

So what should I say - if its guilt by association with extremists thems the breaks.

I am not saying you might not have a point -what I am saying is the groups that claim to represent vegetarians do a good job of alienating others.

this does nothing to answer why people hate veggies or maybe they do.

everychance they have they change topic and turn it into a political discussion.

Maybe you should tell us if you have any meat eating friends and whether if inviting you for a meal in their homes how they accomadate your choices and how.

Also if you invite meat eating friends to your home what you do to accomadate them.

Now a tricky one - 15 year old offspring has dairy, egg, wheat, gluten, rye citrus fruit and a few others up to 30 allergies. Has a limited diet which excludes most readily available veggie foods so needs to eat meat for protein. How would you accomadate such a person as your guest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

hello
    i offered a guy from syria a drink in a bar, he said
    "i dont drink alcahol, not just because of my religion (i am a muslim) but because i think its stupid and senseless"
    so i called him a jerk, and told him he could have just asked for a coke.

same with vegitarians, they tell me they dont eat meat for personal reasons, which some elaborate to say they believe rearing animals for food is cruel and unnatural. in short they thinks its morally wrong.
    like the syrian above, they are implying that i am cruel, wrong and bad.
    so i call this veggie a jerk and tell them i'm off to eat my dog.

i met another man who didnt eat meat because he was squeamish (very), and couldnt help seeing a dead pig, guts and all when he tried to eat a sausage, but said he'd no moral issues with it,
    i said, thats alright fella, i used to feel the same about oysters and muscels.

in short may i quote john cleese

IF GOD DIDNT WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS THEN WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?? EH?

Advertisement