Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do ppl hate veggies?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Baza210 wrote: »
    I don't hate vegetarians, and I can empathise with their views to an extent, but it still annoys me when we have vegetarian guests over and I end up with courgette stir fry.

Oh dear God- was she trying to get you to move out. I think that tactic is in the Eddie Hobbs book.

Not joking - it really is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

taibhse wrote: »
    You kind of have an "us" and "them" mentality, which being a meat eater of course you are in the majority mainstream but I dont think that applies on a veg forum

Sorry that came across but I probably have- an enjoyable thread so I thought it was only right to post and say thanks to those that have made it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ruthie77

I never register for these type of things, but I had to reply to your message. I have been a vegetarian for 15 years and was recently bemoaning all the comments I have gotten.
    I NEVER bring up the subject of vegetarianism, but people who know me well, know, or they notice when we're eating. Even good fantastic friends go on about it, and in fact have for the past 10 years. Waving meat in my face, going on about the poor animals etc etc. It is MY CHOICE I don't try to convert anyone, I don't find meat disgusting, I don't make a comment about what they are eating, but they still go on about it.
    A Sample of the comments:
    1)What do you eat then? Seriously, it is 2008 and people are still asking me that question.
    2)I don't eat that much meat: Is that your guilty conscience then? because I never enquired about that (but really that's like saying, oh I only ate one pig last year). That was so good to get off my chest, I'm getting old and getting less tolerant of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

nice to see some positive discussion, tolerant views and decent debate.

for once, it is truly refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Unfortunately I don't have time to read the entire thread, anyway, just my two cents.

I eat meat once a week, I don't have anything against veggies, the ones I know are tollerant and they don't care if you eat meat, they simply don't eat it. Probably they majority of non-veggie people don't like veggie people because of some psychological matters which require a terapist, not a nutritionist :-)

Anyway, I've found more difficult to deal with organic-fanatics rather than vegetarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Because they want the justify their decision to eat meat? They don't want to deal with the guilt so they put people who don't eat it down? I'm not sure, some people just can't stand the fact that you are doing something about it and they are not, so have to make themselves feel better by putting you down.
    I don't rant on about vegetarianism at all, in fact i sometimes join in mocking vegetarians when my friends start to mock me, that way they see it doesnt actually get to me, and shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

I don't eat meat and I don't give anyone I know grief about eating meat, or push my reasons for not eating meat on them. But I will if they bring up the topic first! What winds me up is that a lot of people seem to think you eat 'rabbit food' and nothing else. It's 2008, how sheltered are some people!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

It's generally accepted by scientists that the main catalyst for the development of the human brain was

There is no consensus on those issues. Don't use terms like "generally accepted". You are either outright lying, or you read one palaeontologist's report (or, more likely, a snippet in the metro) and naievely thought "he must know, he's a scientist".

Sorry, it's just that I study science and I've done a good bit on evolution and anthropology so I get irritated when I hear people making big pronouncements when they don't have all the facts.

Anyway, it's almost impossible to say what's natural and what's not natural when it comes to humans. It's the sort of thing nasty people decide on so they can tell homosexuals they're disgusting, and vegetarians they're deluded, and women that they are just for carrying babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

wow this thread really picked up in the end, it was a bit of a disaster initially but it's gotten really interesting! Kudos to Tar, electrofilth and everyone on both sides for the wicked debate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

I find the vast majority of people understand the pertinent logic behind vegetarianism. At least in my experience, for the most part. Those that attack your opinions and views seldom have justifiable ones themselves anyway, and cannot be won over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement