Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Cert ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Did You do the SEI Exam. As far as i know it is not out yet.
    Until this has begun the value of doing another course will not be fully evident.
    The training company provided us with three SEI mock exams.

Is the new software very different from the current version.

Lets just say SEI are putting the €1000 reg fee to good use ;) the new software is way ahead of the old one, includes wizards, new harp database, new ways of calculating u-values, basically makes life easier for the assessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Smcgie wrote: »

Lets just say SEI are putting the €1000 reg fee to good use ;) the new software is way ahead of the old one, includes wizards, new harp database, new ways of calculating u-values, basically makes life easier for the assessor.

This is good news
    Would you consider Pm me a copy of mock exams Ty

This is good news
    Would you consider Pm me a copy of mock exams Ty

I only have a hard copy of the mock exam's. The training company would not give out a soft copy (prob to stop passing on the information) :rolleyes:

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'd love to see the mock exams too Smcgie!! Glad to hear the updated version is better the the old version it needed a lot of improvements!!!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,160 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

alarm bells are ringing!!!!

this will probably aid the standardisation of u value calculations... but i bet it wont take best practises into account!!

• Advertisement

Ive been watching alot of your posts TOPCAT & NO6. I'm going to add both of you as friends for future refrence.

I can answer any of your questions about the new course, but i have only one copy of each of the three mock exams and i am not giving them away until i pass the exam myself. (with the help of God) :p

I asked the training company for a soft copy of the exams and they said they will relese them with the software at their discression. In other words dont hold your breath.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    alarm bells are ringing!!!!

this will probably aid the standardisation of u value calculations... but i bet it wont take best practises into account!!

Take note - the new ways of calculating U-Value is only really applicable to assessing exisiting dwellings. The new software does aid some parts of calculating U-Values for New builds but it only really applies to the Existing Dwelligs assessments.

Regards,
    Shane

I just rang the BER assessor helpline and was told that the info will be released by tuesday. However I wont hold my breath. Too many dissapointments to believe what im told and the assistant hasnt seen the info to be released yet.

I rang last monday and the lady said that i would have the software by the the end of the week..... Still waiting :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

Anybody see the 6pm RTE news last night????????

Apparently to carry out an assessment on an existing house will cost in the region of €200!

This was obviously an SEI press release to RTE and if these are the apparent costs then we would all be as well off staying in bed.

Drive to the cleint 0.5 hours
    Carry out the survey 1.5 hours minimum
    Drive back to the office 0.5 hours
    Produce the cert and do quaity check 2 hours
    Post/email the cert 0.5 hours

Diesel and business costs on top of this, who do they think they are foolin.

• Advertisement

Total Madness! I never seen it, i might go to RTE website to watch it and then maybe complain! Thats a Joke!:mad:

I missed it too, I'll have to check it out!!!:eek: Sure we might as well do them for free!!!

Chimpster wrote: »

Apparently to carry out an assessment on an existing house will cost in the region of €200!

This was obviously an SEI press release to RTE and if these are the apparent costs then we would all be as well off staying in bed.

even if i was assessing next door, i wouldnt do it for €200.....

id love to know what successful assessors quoted at for the HESS....
    nudge nudge...

You'll see it about half way down this page.

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/

Listen carefully around 1 minute into the clip.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1021/6news_av.html?2439119,null,230

Here's the Link, havent seen it as yet myself (stupid real player download:rolleyes:)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1021/6news_av.html?2439119,null,230

Here's the Link, havent seen it as yet myself (stupid real player download:rolleyes:)

Any of ye get the email from the 'Association'...????????

In fairness to them they state that they have alerted Paula Rice about the €200 statement and SEI will issue a statement on it. (SEI deny giving that price to anyone)...

I dont believe SEI for a minute. I think they are afraid of people going mad at the real cost of getting a BER cert completed for an existing dwelling (4 - 500 €)

With the recession & doom&Gloom they stated the price of assessing a dog box to keep people quite!

Just my opinion.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    even if i was assessing next door, i wouldnt do it for €200.....

id love to know what successful assessors quoted at for the HESS....
    nudge nudge...

I was "successfull" for the HESS but i wont publish my rate on this. PM me if you want to know.

Dont forget €25 + VAT to SEI they wont forget.

What deadlines has ireland to meet under this energy directive?

For example, Has Ireland any targets to meet for the amount of buildings it has to have rated by 2012?

My own opinion on all of this.... Take a look at the right hand side of your BER cert... The CO2 emmissions side. Give it a few years and this will be used to extract more money from the nation. SEI is under strict orders to get as many buildings as possible rated as soon as possible and then in 2010 we'll be hit with a carbon based propety tax.

Anyone agree?

• Advertisement

Perhaps they mean (ahem )

BER Cert for existing Houses 200

Plus

Publication Fee 25

Plus

Existing Building Survey fee 300

Plus Milage

Plus Anything else we can think of

Total Cost Somewhere around 1000!!!!

Still downloading real player & got the email for the association has anybody here joined? I havn't

I was "successfull" for the HESS but i wont publish my rate on this. PM me if you want to know.

your Ok topcat...... i was only stirring. ;)
    Its none of my business.....

to chimpster....

yes definitely.... co2 charges are almost a certainty at this stage.

No6 wrote: »
    Perhaps they mean (ahem )

BER Cert for existing Houses 200

Plus

Publication Fee 25

Plus

Existing Building Survey fee 300

Plus Milage

Look @ the boards.ie slogan - Springs to mind on this quote No6 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

My own opinion on all of this.... Take a look at the right hand side of your BER cert... The CO2 emmissions side. Give it a few years and this will be used to extract more money from the nation. SEI is under strict orders to get as many buildings as possible rated as soon as possible and then in 2010 we'll be hit with a carbon based propety tax.

Anyone agree?

yes .

For example, Has Ireland any targets to meet for the amount of buildings it has to have rated by 2012?

Anyone agree?

I do, go carbon neutral my son, one of my greatest fears is that Gormley will insist on installing a methane meter on my ass and taxing me on my flatulence levels (Pretty high at times!!!) :D Seriously though go for wood pellets look at what they can do for your carbon levels in your BER calculations!!

+1 Chimpster

Anyone agree?

Yes its there for a reason

No6 wrote: »
    I do, go carbon neutral my son, one of my greatest fears is that Gormley will insist on installing a methane meter on my ass and taxing me on my flatulence levels (Pretty high at times!!!) :D Seriously though go for wood pellets look at what they can do for your carbon levels in your BER calculations!!

Yeah but the high quality pellets with a calorific value of above 5.0 kWh/kg are all being imported from what I can see! I wonder has DEAP been altered to include this!

I was in a passive house this afternoon. A PHPP certified heat demand of less than 15 kWh/m2/yr. Thats the standard we have to work towards.

Yeah but the high quality pellets with a calorific value of above 5.0 kWh/kg are all being imported from what I can see! I wonder has DEAP been altered to include this!

I was in a passive house this afternoon. A PHPP certified heat demand of less than 15 kWh/m2/yr. Thats the standard we have to work towards.

and thats why we have to break the mold of the traditional construction methods and systems. We have a lot of catching up to do when compared to scandanavia and central europe...

• Advertisement

I don't disagree with you on this chimpster for new build but what about existing houses, short of totally gutting them and doing major rebuilding work existing housing stock will never get to passive, if a house has oil heating its relatively easy to switch over to wood pellets, all you need is a bit of space. It will be considerably cheaper that going passive!!

Advertisement