Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Cert ?

Options
  • 15-10-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

How many people on this site have a BER cert for their house?
    or have one for rented accommodation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Except for new builds , implementation date starts next Jan , Slates . I doubt many will answer in the positive

3170 - have passed exam after training to become assessors
    791 - have registered with SEI
    170 - are "active"
    2195 certs issued - mostly B's

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sinnerboy wrote: »
    3170 - have passed exam after training to become assessors
    791 - have registered with SEI
    170 - are "active"
    2195 certs issued - mostly B's

thats a big jump from the summer.....

so it averages out at less than 3 per assessor..... nice! :mad:

im registered over a year and still havent been required to publish one yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I'd be one of the inactive one's but I am actually active I'm doing a number of BER certs for houses which are under construction, none completed yet but getting there!!

snap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats a big jump from the summer.....

so it averages out at less than 3 per assessor..... nice! :mad:

im registered over a year and still havent been required to publish one yet!!!

Just curious on this; is there any provision for disqualifying assessors who don't maintain proficiency by carrying out a certain number of assessments a year ?

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Just curious on this; is there any provision for disqualifying assessors who don't maintain proficiency by carrying out a certain number of assessments a year ?

:D

certainly hope not.

you can only carry out what your engaged to do.
    also you can carry out assessments (as prelims) without nofiying SEI

fishfoodie wrote: »

how many have you done ? ;):D

:D

certainly hope not.

you can only carry out what your engaged to do.
    also you can carry out assessments (as prelims) without nofiying SEI

I would suspect that there is a lot of preliminary assessments being done, its the best time to get an assesment done as you can improve your rating by adjusting your spec's where as when you do a cert for a completed house that it you get what you've put in. Don't forget that it's only since the end of june that all new houses have to be done, before that it was 2007 plannings only so a lot of houses are now only begining to require them.

No6 wrote: »
    I would suspect that there is a lot of preliminary assessments being done, its the best time to get an assesment done as you can improve your rating by adjusting your spec's where as when you do a cert for a completed house that it you get what you've put in. Don't forget that it's only since the end of june that all new houses have to be done, before that it was 2007 plannings only so a lot of houses are now only begining to require them.

problem i see it is, in the owner occupier sector, (who require BERs if not substantially complete by 30th june 2008) there is ABSOLUTELY NO push to inform them or threat to punish them if they dont comply with SI 666.

all SEIs focus is on the sale / rental sector... which has basically stopped anyway. Solicitors as well, are only focusing this sector... not on the owner occupier.

I have about 19 dwellings that fall under this, iv einformed everyone.... i dont expect to get any BERs out of it... because they can simply choose not to comply and i cannot see any come back from anyone...

PS building control in the rural situation is non existant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Slates

problem i see it is, in the owner occupier sector, (who require BERs if not substantially complete by 30th june 2008) there is ABSOLUTELY NO push to inform them or threat to punish them if they dont comply with SI 666.

all SEIs focus is on the sale / rental sector... which has basically stopped anyway. Solicitors as well, are only focusing this sector... not on the owner occupier.

I have about 19 dwellings that fall under this, iv einformed everyone.... i dont expect to get any BERs out of it... because they can simply choose not to comply and i cannot see any come back from anyone...

I said all this last year and got a telling off form Muffler !

If I recall , you were told off for your "why should I ? " attitude .
    Why raise the issue again Slates ?

I know what you mean syd a lot of people around here try and avoid certs of compliance never mind BER certs, however if you are certifying the project and they need the BER cert point out that you cannot certify compliance woithout the BER cert. If you get the chance educate the Local solicitors in relation to BER's they'll start looking for them!!:D I've probably got a similar number of dwellings in the same boat and done a mail shot earlier in the year, I've got four or five signed up, another few humming and hawing a few not building yet and a few building away and not paying any heed. The fledgling BER assessors association seem to be looking for preliminary certs to be included with planning doccuments!!! a nice little earner if you can get it but I can't see it happening. It should be made a condition of planning however that a copy of the BER cert is submitted to the LA on completion of e project & publication of the cert.

I know what you mean syd a lot of people around here try and avoid certs of compliance never mind BER certs, however if you are certifying the project and they need the BER cert point out that you cannot certify compliance woithout the BER cert. If you get the chance educate the Local solicitors in relation to BER's they'll start looking for them!!:D I've probably got a similar number of dwellings in the same boat and done a mail shot earlier in the year, I've got four or five signed up, another few humming and hawing a few not building yet and a few building away and not paying any heed. The fledgling BER assessors association seem to be looking for preliminary certs to be included with planning doccuments!!! a nice little earner if you can get it but I can't see it happening. It should be made a condition of planning however that a copy of the BER cert is submitted to the LA on completion of e project & publication of the cert.

Naaah - i see it becoming "just what we do" . Clients will expect it for free .

I know what you mean syd a lot of people around here try and avoid certs of compliance never mind BER certs, however if you are certifying the project and they need the BER cert

1. point out that you cannot certify compliance without the BER cert.

If you get the chance educate the Local solicitors in relation to BER's they'll start looking for them!!:D I've probably got a similar number of dwellings in the same boat and done a mail shot earlier in the year, I've got four or five signed up, another few humming and hawing a few not building yet and a few building away and not paying any heed. The fledgling BER assessors association seem to be looking for preliminary certs to be included with planning doccuments!!! a nice little earner if you can get it but I can't see it happening.

2. It should be made a condition of planning however that a copy of the BER cert is submitted to the LA on completion of e project & publication of the cert.

1. certifying 'compliance in regard to building regulations' is separate from certifying compliance in regards to SI 666.

2. This could work. The building control section is supposed to be the 'watchdog' on this.... so perhaps a condition of planning would work fine.

good idea and one worth investigating.

however, the BER association attenpt to have BERs included as part of an application is laughable... its shows a complete lack of understanding of the process. firstly, it would need a 'new planning act' legistaltion. secondly...
    what weight does a generic BER have in regard to planning????
    absolutely none!
    there is no co-relation between planning and construction, therefore any construction specified at planning stage counts for nothing.

however, the BER association attenpt ot have BERs included as part of an application is laughable... its shows a complete lack of understanding of the process. firstly, it would need a 'new planning act' legistaltion. secondly...
    what weight does a generic BER have in regard to planning????
    absolutely none!
    there is no-colrelation between planning and construction, therefor eany construction specified at planning stage counts for nothing.

I think it is an attempt by the fledgeling association to boost it's members (of which I'm not one) income, since they're charging eur 150 to join they have to be seen to be doing something to justify it. Another scam to snare assessors's? the Jury is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

sinnerboy wrote: »
    how many have you done ? ;):D

None, I am not a BER assessor :D

I'm just concerned that if when I go looking for a preliminary BER cert, I know that the person I get it from is competent to issue one. Note, I distinguish between qualified & competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

And so you should be as I know from experience training alongside some.
    Maybee new SEI exam will change this.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    And so you should be as I know from experience training alongside some.
    Maybee new SEI exam will change this.
    Speaking of which any sign of the exam and the updated software. I see training companies are currently trying hard to extract another 500 or so euros for the training for the existing houses and when I asked them the same question I got a kind of no ish maybee sort of answer if you know what I mean!!!:rolleyes:

I m in the same boat but i can give you a copy of appendix s if you want it.

• Advertisement

See Appendix S

Also see Deap Survey Form A4

Thanks Topcatcbr!! Some light reading for me!!!:D Now if I can only get my hands on the exam sylabus I can set up a training company!!!:rolleyes:

As for doing top up course id hold off. I did the HESS course which i think was the pilot course and there is not alot an Arch Tech can learn from this. Basically how to survey a home. Estimating the age of a home based amongst other things wall thickness construction type arch. styles. So save your money and do Exam straight off. Thats what i intend to do.

I'm thinking along the same lines myself tobcatcbr, its getting past time to make some money from this energy rating stuff!!!

Building Energy Ratings by grade
    Energy Rating % Ratings
    A1 0.05%
    A2 0.14%
    A3 7.47%
    B1 18.38%
    B2 40.06%
    B3 24.42%
    C1 7.01%
    C2 1.25%
    C3 0.46%
    D1 0.60%
    D2 0.14%
    E1 0.00%
    E2 0.00%
    F 0.00%
    G 0.00%

Building Energy Rating Assessors:
    Number of Registered BER Assessors 789
    Number of Certified Assessors (incl. registered assessors) 3,144

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

topcatcbr wrote: »
    See Appendix S

Also see Deap Survey Form A4

Cheers for the info topcatcbr... I'm hoping to skip the training too and go straight to the exam... whenever they decide to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Hi Topcat, I'm not long after finishing the existing dwellings course.

I too thought the €500 was a money racket for the training company . But actually.... I thought the course was quite benificial. The course explained the new dwellings assessment very well.

I thought I new plenty and i wouldn't need to do the course , just sit the exam. But i think that unless your a very active assessor you might get away without doing the course. If not i think it €500 well spent.

BTW - I am in no way connected with a training company :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Smcgie,
    Who did you do the Existing dwellings course yet?? I thought the software for this course had not yet been established???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

colorc wrote: »
    Smcgie,
    Who did you do the Existing dwellings course yet?? I thought the software for this course had not yet been established???

I've completed the course in Monaghan. The training company had a training version of the new software that they were not allowed to release. They took us through the course on this training version.

The Training version is the same as the new software (yet to be relesed) but SEI still have a few tweeks to do before they can release to all assessors.

Regards,
    Shane

• Advertisement

Smcgie wrote: »
    Hi Topcat, I'm not long after finishing the existing dwellings course.

I too thought the €500 was a money racket for the training company . But actually.... I thought the course was quite benificial. The course explained the new dwellings assessment very well.

I thought I new plenty and i wouldn't need to do the course , just sit the exam. But i think that unless your a very active assessor you might get away without doing the course. If not i think it €500 well spent.

BTW - I am in no way connected with a training company :)

Did You do the SEI Exam. As far as i know it is not out yet.
    Until this has begun the value of doing another course will not be fully evident.

Is the new software very different from the current version.

Advertisement