Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Wedding You ever attended and why?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Clareman wrote: »
    If you try to keep all the people happy all the time your going to end up making no body happy, we were at another wedding where the Groom got sick the whole night before with nerves and the bride didn't smile once during the whole meal, really didn't enjoy the day as there was a weird atmosphere about the place. The best you can do is prepare as much as possible, have a good venue, tell them that everything has to be right, have a few people organised to check everything pre-arrival and try to have a menu that people would eat. I've been to a number of weddings where people have had fillet steak but people didn't eat it cause it wasn't cooked the way they liked, beef would have been a better option really.

Oh sure, I totally agree, you're never going to please everyone. Plus a few incidents mentioned were outside the control of the bride and groom. Nevertheless, if/when I get married, I will be hoping all guests have a great time.
    All you can do is prepare as much as possible and remember it's the bride's day, once she's happy that's all that matters

Couldn't agree less! This is 2008, not 1908. Both partners are equally as important on the day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

taconnol wrote: »
    Couldn't agree less! This is 2008, not 1908. Both partners are equally as important on the day.

I thought the same before we started arraging everything, I might be completly wrong (or old fashioned) but I think that everything during the day should be about the bride, we will be having the rest of our lives together, I think she should have 1 day in the limelight.

This is just my opinion, everyone is entitled to theirs and every couple is different, as someone mentioned before, when I was dreaming about scoring the winning goal in the All Ireland, she was dreaming of her perfect wedding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If you try to keep all the people happy all the time your going to end up making no body happy, we were at another wedding where the Groom got sick the whole night before with nerves and the bride didn't smile once during the whole meal, really didn't enjoy the day as there was a weird atmosphere about the place. The best you can do is prepare as much as possible, have a good venue, tell them that everything has to be right, have a few people organised to check everything pre-arrival and try to have a menu that people would eat. I've been to a number of weddings where people have had fillet steak but people didn't eat it cause it wasn't cooked the way they liked, beef would have been a better option really.

All you can do is prepare as much as possible and remember it's the bride's day, once she's happy that's all that matters

I think the point Taconnol is trying to make is that when the guest has made the effort to, as he said, turn up, probably take time off work, (where women are concerned mostly) agonise over an outfit, choose a gift etc.. It's expected that the hosts have made at least a reasonable effort to make everyone comfortable, fed, watered and entertained to the best of their ability.. A wedding is usually planned over a few months if not years so it's not unreasonable to expect it to be well planned and executed..

I helped in the plannnig of my sisters wedding and I think it took less than a half a day to ring around and find out if we had any vegetarians attending and if anyone had any alergies etc.. Something as simple as that can make the difference between someone enjoying the wedding and not..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

F.A. wrote: »
    And you didn't jump to the occasion??

;)

Erm no i didn't! But i have his number if you'd like a chance? ;)
    Forky wrote: »
    Jesus. You miss them much? :rolleyes:

Definitely not! Lol! It was just the weirdest thing! And the few times the best man and hiswife spoke to me during the night they were perfectly friendly, so i think that itself should have shown i hadn't done anything awful. Ah well, if it were to happen again i would announce to the bride all of the things her husband said about her when she wasn't around then leg it!

Generally though i would think of weddings are their day not mine and its lovely to be invited. I think in most hotels the bar stays open until 11-12.30 ish and the bar extension is a few hundred euro, extra options on the menu are also extra, extra course/toasts are extra, even covers for the chairs are extra! Weddings are very expensive business, at the end of the day if they think enough of you to invite you, perhaps people should just be grateful for that, big occassions are rarely perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Bull****, its her day, if she's happy everyone's happy, men don't grow up dreaming about what their wedding day is going to be like, that it has to be this and has to be that, women do, and that's how it is, end of!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Bull****, its her day, if she's happy everyone's happy, men don't grow up dreaming about what their wedding day is going to be like, that it has to be this and has to be that, women do, and that's how it is, end of!!!

Can we get rid of the generalisations? Enough of the "women do, and that's how it is" please.

I take Clareman's point that for his particular wedding, the day itself means a whole lot more to his fiancee than to him - but he also accepts that that's specific to his relationship.

I certainly didn't grow up "dreaming" about my wedding day. If/when I get married, it will be because both I and my partner want it, not just because I want to be a princess for a day and have the photos to match.

I'm getting really sick of the gender stereotyping on boards. Stop.thinking.you.know.my.mind.just.because.of.my.gender.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For the last time, will everyone stop generalising :D

For the last time, will everyone stop generalising :D
    Look who's talking, ya culchie!

(Ok sorry gone totally OT sorry, sorry)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Worst wedding I ever attended was actually a really good day. We all had a blast. It was a bad wedding because it was a close friend who was getting wed, they were only 21 and we could all see the relationship was a car crash. It was kinda tragic to watch. (In fact on the day bets were going around on how long it would last -cruel but true). They were split within about 3 months, the post wedding bills lasted years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mr Pot

mine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

. Stop.thinking.you.know.my.mind.just.because.of.my.gender.

Actually it's because of your gender we know we can't read your mind. :D
    Mr Pot wrote: »
    mine :)

Tell all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My boyfriends ex couldnt keep her hands or eyes off him for a whole day at a wedding we were at. told his friends she wanted him back, ran away from him everythime i came over..
    then rang him at 5am to tell him she was locked out of her room and would he help her...
    I was extremely pissed off.
    but that had nothing to do with the organising of the weeding..wedding was actually good, as was every wedding i've been to!

^ Just a joke really, you haven't met my wife :)

I got married at registary, one day when we woke we decided to get married. I phoned up my parents the next day to tell them.

I have a 7 month old son now and were still very happily married :)

I got married at registary, one day when we woke we decided to get married. I phoned up my parents the next day to tell them.

I have a 7 month old son now and were still very happily married :)
    Cant have been in Ireland. You have to give 3 months notice. So no Las Vegas type drunken marriages for us!!

Damn, Im sorry that was a joke though. I was looking forward to some scandal. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

she's watching...I'll tell ye later.

I got married at registary, one day when we woke we decided to get married.

FTFY.

It's ok we can read between the lines! :p

Sounds nice. No time for pressure or a huge guest list!

The party was most important and a great one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Was at a wedding a few years ago, one the girls of a group of friends of mine. She sat the whole group together at one table - except me - I was sat at a table on the other side of the room with people I did not know. Obviously I had to grin and bear it on the day, but will never forgive her for that :(

And apart from that it was the most boring wedding ever :rolleyes: Bride was gone to bed - with a headache(!) - before the music even ended.

GeturGun wrote: »
    Was at a wedding a few years ago, one the girls of a group of friends of mine. She sat the whole group together at one table - except me - I was sat at a table on the other side of the room with people I did not know. Obviously I had to grin and bear it on the day, but will never forgive her for that :(

And apart from that it was the most boring wedding ever :rolleyes: Bride was gone to bed - with a headache(!) - before the music even ended.
    I attended my brothers wedding minus my other half and I was seated like Mary bloody Poppins, the only adult supervision at the table where all the kids were sitting. But hey, hes my brother. What could I say? I just made sure the kids drank loads of fizz and dessert before they went back to their parents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

GeturGun wrote: »

I hate when the couple decide to sit the single people together, like they're desperate or something and need to hook up, and not with their friends who happen to be in relationships... although sometimes it can be fun. Was at a wedding in Holland recently, was sat beside a girl from Ireland, probably the only other single person there (was a small wedding). We had no interest in hooking up but she was such a sound person we had a great night...

Sorry, know the thread is about worst weddings... my worst was in America - 7 groomsmen and 7 bridesmaids, the priest made a big point during mass of saying Protestants could not receive communion, like they were evil or something, the reception was from 5pm to 10pm then we were turfed out of the function room, the residents bar was crap and the police were called to break up a fight so we were in bed by 12. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Riverside

Christmas 2005 - Cousin's Wedding in Waterford

I should have realised it was going to a disaster when the Invite was sent to my parents address when I hadn't lived there in 10 years.

Wedding to start at 1pm per the invite. So all the guests are at the Church (in the middle of nowhere) on time, no groom to welcome them which I thought was very rude as all the other weddings I have been at the Groom & Groomsmen have been there to welcome the guests. Eventually he turns up at 1.40pm just before the Bride and just before many guests were about to walk out!
    I am sitting towards the rear of the Church and he asks me were the Best Man is!! I mean WTF "Is it my wedding?" and "I had nothing to do with the planning". Also in the booklet had the wrong Pope...now I know Pope JP was only dead 8 months but it was obvious that they had just copied somebody elses booklet from like a year before!
    Get to the reception and there is no cups left for tea and coffee. Now having worked in Hotels and knowing the old "pay for 200 cups and staff are told to put out 150 cups" routine, I ask the waiter for a cup to which he replies.. "The Bride & Groom only paid for the first 100 cups of Tea/Coffee" (Oh and the waiter was not lying...my aunt asked later and the Groom (when drunk) said that this was the case).
    The meal was ok from what I can recall...I hit the bar and downed a couple of vodkas seeing as how I was not going to get any Tea!
    The Band...I knew were going to be a disaster when they were setting up. They wore matching suits from like the 1970's or that era. These were youngish lads. So the band cranks up...1 song then a break...then another song and a break...then another song and a break...you get the drift. You know how it is at a wedding when there is a good dancing crowd and the band is like that..you were just getting into a swing of a dance and the band took a break! Cousin admitted they were the cheapest band on the list!
    Then the DJ started up....he was ok but played Republican songs for a full hour...we were shocked as no consideration was given towards guests who were not republican!
    Also cousins sisters did not make one bit of effort with cousins/aunts/uncles who had travelled half of the country for the Wedding day, instead preferring to canoodle with their BF's in the corner!
    To cap it all off the Cousin stated that he wasn't going on his honeymoon until the end of January as it was cheaper then!

Theme for the Wedding....Rude and Cheap!!

Needless to say I was gone straight after breakfast the next morning at 10am so I didn't have to face any of them!

His sister got married earlier this year and although I was not invited (thankfully!!) I believe they had learned a lot from the previous wedding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I can't believe some weddings had speeches that lasted two and a half hours. What where they on about the whole time? Any weddings I've been to have had speeches over in about 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

All of them :pac:

Seriously though, my first job was working in a local hotel when I was 15. There were up 6 weddings per weekend and they were ALL THE SAME :eek:

I vowed never to have a wedding like everybody elses for when/if I am taking my vows. There was something so unromantic and generic about them all, and doesn't reflect the couple who are getting married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, the wedding of my then boyfriend's close friend.

My boyfriend at the time couldn't stand the bride-to-be and didn't want to go, but felt he'd hurt the groom if he didn't accept. Anyhoo it was farcical. She was clearly shoved down the aisle because there was a bun in the oven - the wedding had been announced six weeks before it took place. For the entire event, the groom's other friends were off whispering to each other about how it was a disaster and it had to be stopped, and there were tears from female friends of his, and there were arguments in the toilets.

They weren't wrong: the marriage was over less than a year later. She was apparently a complete psycho...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

You have to be taking the p1ss right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Sounds like a nice menu. I've never attended or heard of a wedding venue that allows guests to dictate the 'rareness' of their steak. Just my opinion, but if you're one of these people that likes their meat burnt to a crisp, then you shouldn't be critiquing menus.

Sorry but that's nonsense; lots of people don't like to see their dinner bleed around the plate and chew through the particular texture of a rare steak & where did they say they like it "burnt to a crisp" :confused:

Have never ordered a steak without asking for it to be cooked to my taste. EVER, so just because its a wedding you have to kill it before eating it ?

I've never attended or heard of a wedding venue that allows guests to dictate the 'rareness' of their steak. Just my opinion, but if you're one of these people that likes their meat burnt to a crisp, then you shouldn't be critiquing menus.
    Yeah, cuz if you don't like your steak practically raw, that obviously means you only like it burned to a crisp - I mean, there's no in-between at all...

LOL at exaggerating to make a point.

Funny, every wedding I've ever been to where steak was on the menu, the waiting staff ALWAYS asked those who ordered it how they'd like it done...

OK I didn't attend this wedding & may be going off on a bridezilla tangent but my friend told me this story.

Big lavish wedding, 100+. guests. One guest,a relative, was wheelchair bound and had a foreign carer. So during the dinner a friend of the groom is outside having a smoke. The smoking area just happens to be underneath a window into the Ladies toilets. He overhears the bride complaining that the wheelchaired relative was ruining the "look" of her wedding and bitching that she had to pay for the carer's dinner!!

Just imagine if the groom had heard her - could have been a 4 hour marriage!

Haven't been to many weddings, so don't have any horror stories..

Just imagine if the groom had heard her
    Pity he didn't tbh...

Dudess wrote: »
    Pity he didn't tbh...

+1

C U Next Tuesday

Actually, my mother in laws uncle had a heart attack at mine - forgot about that - I didn't actually notice the ambulance etc :eek: was enjoying myself too much. Found out the next day.
    My husband was in bed by about 12 o'clock cos he got sooooo drunk! I was in the residents bar till god knows what time and had to sleep in my wedding dress cos my new hubby was too drunk to open all the flippin buttons! Was actually hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sumire

Zzippy wrote: »
    I hate when the couple decide to sit the single people together, like they're desperate or something and need to hook up, and not with their friends who happen to be in relationships

Was at a wedding a few months ago (oh's friend from school) where my oh was best man, instead of him sitting at the head table we were put at the singles table because 'we're chatty so we'd help the others get together'. Turns out one of the bridesmaid's who was at our table was desperate & didn't need and any help - quite entertaining!

Advertisement