Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October Analysis and Forecasts

Options
  • 28-09-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭

This month its back to basics which (slightly) less random predictions! :-

1. What will be mean temperature in October?
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th)
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 11.6c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 17.9c
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -1.2c
    What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 14.9c
    What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +/-0.7c

A Chart topping forecast, even if I say so myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

1. 10.7 C

2. 19.5 C

3. -2.0 C

4. 14.5 C

5. -0.3 C anomaly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭squonk

1. What will be mean temperature in October = 10.4c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations = 18.1c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations = -2.1c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) = 15.9
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) = +/- 0.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Should +/- be allowed? Also, where is the usual introduction to the month, discussing the averages etc... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭squonk

Well it' says mean so that's usually a statistical average with error margins built in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 12.8c
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 16.9.c
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 0c
    What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 15.5c
    What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +/-0.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Danno wrote: »
    Should +/- be allowed? Also, where is the usual introduction to the month, discussing the averages etc... :D:D:D

Well I was gonna go by the margin mentioned in the Monthly Weather Summary which gives a definitive figure but since Paddy the maverick has started the run I'll accept a raw deviation value, I'll make it clearer next time :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 10.1
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 17.2.c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -1.4c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 13.8c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +/-0.4c

Should +/- be allowed?

With regards the final deviation from average from a particular station, my personal assumption is that is dosen't matter if your forecast figure is in the plus or minus, that is why I put the +/- there to emphasize that point to others. I think it is the figure itself that is important. Plus, it will make the scoring easier for Supercell at the end of each month.

By the way, The Overall Mean for September is 10.5c. Sorry for not stating this ealier folks, I just got carried away putting together my own, rather brilliant forecast...:p

I suspect the +/- feature will confuse the judges, people are just copying that and putting an anomaly right after it. In most cases as I look at the numbers, it is probably a positive anomaly that is being predicted, but that negative sign is sitting beside it. That's why I didn't copy the +/- but expressed the prediction as -0.3 so it would be clear. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but it could make the scoring job a bit difficult at the end of the month. Cheers ... :cool:

• Advertisement

If I said +/- 10c I would be giving a 20c range. Any temperature between 0.5c and 20.5c would deem my answer correct! :D:D:D

If I said +/- 10c I would be giving a 20c range. Any temperature between 0.5c and 20.5c would deem my answer correct! :D:D:D

if you said +/- 10c, you would only win if a final deviational score came in at either plus or minus 10c. It gives you two shots at winning, true, but how could anything inbetween be deemed correct? I am not a great one for numbers, so could thou explain that concept to simple auld me?

The scoring will just be the usual temperature score based on the raw number this time instead of the + or -

Thus if the actual deviation was +2.5°C

And previously you had guessed -2.5° you would have scored nowt.
    However this month if you had predicted +/-2.5° you score 10 points.

Hope that clears any confusion up, anyone that already predicted a positive or negative value only this month will just be treated as a standard +/- prediction so no worries.

Now wheres Nachos two sets of forecasts :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 11.1c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 19.2c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 1.5c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 17.1c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) 2.1c

Da boss has spoken, and I shall respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 10.6
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 17.9.c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -.2 c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 14.1c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) 0.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Getting my effort in early to avoid any issues this month! :D

1. What will be mean temperature in October?: 10.3C
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?: 17.6C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations?: -1.8C
    What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th): 13.0c
    What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990):+/-0.5C

My apologies, I didn't get the drift of that ... two ways to be right, better odds than usual. :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 12.2c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 18.8c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -0.9c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 16.1c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +1.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 11.2c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 17.5c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -0.7c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 15.0c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +0.7c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It's going to be a freezing month! :D

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 10.8c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 15.7c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -3.4c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 12.4c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) -0.4c

This is how Wicklow wrestles the title back east :D :pac::pac:

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 11.1°C
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 17.4°C
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -1.2°C
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 14.5°C
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +0.2°C

Supercell wrote: »
    This is how Wicklow wrestles the title back east :D :pac::pac:

Hope you are a good wrestler Supercell, becasue the gloves are now off* :p

*never understood what that meant, but it sounds good in times of increasing competitivness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 11.3C
    What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 16.8C
    What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -0.5C
    What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 13C
    What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +/-0.5c

Hope you are a good wrestler Supercell, becasue the gloves are now off* :p

*never understood what that meant, but it sounds good in times of increasing competitivness. :pac:

Lol :)
    Nacho seems to be asleep at the wheel, my chances are improved, no predictions accepted after midnight mwahaahah!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 11.5c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 17.0c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -2.2c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 14c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +0.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭kindredspirit

1..........11.5c

2..........17.8c

3..........-1.2c

4..........14.6c

5..........+0.8c

1. What will be mean temperature in October? 10.2c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 19.2c
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? -1.7c
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 13.8c
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) -0.6c

Nacho, will you for God sake put your forecast in before 12. You see how Supercell is becoming confidant of hogging the title, and I am depending on you to bring a bit of pride back home!

(Could this be the new alternative to the GAA? :D)

Edit, that could be a good idea actually! we could assign someone to do a running commentary, saying things like (in a Michael Lester voice) "well on the day, Nacho's Mayo cunning proved too much for the man from the hills when his devastating forecast"..and so on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ok. without further ado here is the forecast you've all been waiting for:pac:

1. What will be the mean temperature in October? 10.8c
    2. What will be the highest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? 16.4C
    3. What will be the lowest recorded temperature at the main synoptic stations? - 1.1C
    4. What will be the highest temperature in Cork AP during Cork Jazz festival (24th -27th) 14.2C
    5. What will be the monthly mean temperate deviation be at Cork AP (°C difference from normal for period 1961-1990) +0.3c

Advertisement