Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctors seek an increase of 2Euro on Cigarettes!!!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You're underestimating the sensation of smoking as a reason why people do it. Nicotine gum would never become a popular recreational drug because its effects would not be immediate or strong enough.

Then why is caffeine popular?

I think you're overestimating the sensation of smoking as the reason people do it. You don't see people queing up to buy herbal cigarettes, now do you?

Even so, the sensation of chewing gum is an adequete replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

vinylmesh wrote: »
    maybe i'm wrong but i assumed that most people's first smoke isn't from a pack of cigarettes they bought themselves. Kids don't anticipate getting hooked so they only see the cost of one pack of cigarettes. If they were going for a 5er per fag, curious teens would still buy them (thinking that they're only gonna end up buying 1 or 2)

People don't get hooked from their first smokes. Maybe the body recognises the chemical but smoking really is more a psychological addiction than a chemical one. People don't smoke 20 packs the day after their first smoke, it's a gradual build up.
    Maybe if they only smoke while drinking it's not as addictive, coz they only associate smoking with drinking, I'm not sure.... but the "social smokers" i've observed don't inhale properly.

read my previous post;

Nicotine gum ftw!

Exactly, as well as the nasty hangovers smoking leaves you with!
    Then why is caffeine popular?

Coffee/tea/coke etc taste nice as well as containing caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

enda1 wrote: »
    Are you actually going to argue that smoking doesn't, on average, cause damage to your body?

Also just because you are not allowed to smoke in pubs anymore, doesn't mean that non smokers are no longer subject to the effects. It has only lessened the intake, and actually increased the problem if you care to sit outside at a restaurant for example...

I happen to think that a lot of things are in our genetic make up cancer, heart disease your gonna get them regardless of what you do!! My mates sister died not long ago she was 28 of cancer her father died in his 30's of cancer as well, i know quite a few people who have never drank or smoked and have dropped dead just like that. My grans family have longivaty on there side Going up to my great great grand-parents they both lived till 88 same with great grand parents 88 My grans brother is in his early 90's, all i'm trying to say if your gonna get something your gonna get it regardless of what you do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,597 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

USA: Carton of Marlbro Red (200 Count): $22.39 or 15.18 Euro

You lads are getting raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Overheal wrote: »
    USA: Carton of Marlbro Red (200 Count): $22.39 or 15.18 Euro

You lads are getting raped.
    more like over a barrell up the ass and without lube !!

• Advertisement

I mean just think: Every time you buy one 20 pack at the Statoil, you could buy 100 cigarettes in the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

People don't get hooked from their first smokes. Maybe the body recognises the chemical but smoking really is more a psychological addiction than a chemical one. People don't smoke 20 packs the day after their first smoke, it's a gradual build up.

I fully agree. It is psychological, that's why it's the instant effect that makes it so addictive. If you were to chew nicotine gum you probably wouldn't become addicted.

The kids will buy one or two cigarettes (originally intending to only smoke 1 or 2), having them smoked they'll decide later on to give it another go. It starts off 1 a week and over time becomes 20 a day.Set the prices high enough, and if they're from the right background, they'll start stealing to pay for their habit.

If you inhale or inject a stimulant you'd have to be the ultimate master of willpower not to get addicted, I'm sensible enough to know i'm not, that's why i don't smoke tobacco.

No good should ever have more than a 100% tax on it, anything more is simply unfair.Other countries don't have huge taxes on cigarettes and yet have way better health systems than us.... hmmm..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

OP should have put a survey with the thread asking what price it would take for boardsies to stop smoking!

Would you as a smoker stop at €10 for 20 or would it take €12...even €15...lets hear it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, I'd just buy my cigarettes illegaly. 200 for 30 euro

Mordeth wrote: »
    no, I'd just buy my cigarettes illegaly. 200 for 30 euro

So what if you couldnt? How much would you pay in a shop...i.e. not subsidise smugglers :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sizzler wrote: »
    So what if you couldnt? How much would you pay in a shop...i.e. not subsidise smugglers :rolleyes:

Smugglers me hole.

Polish/Slovakian/Czech lads heading back home for a holiday and bringing back a few cartons of smokes.

I buy off them the whole time, just got 600 there yesterday for less than a hundred quid.

I saved myself a hundred and thirty quid.

The government can fúck off if they think they can continually insert their langer up my ring.

I really should have capitalised on that when i was doing round trips :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Overheal wrote: »
    I really should have capitalised on that when i was doing round trips :/

You should have indeed.

You could have doubled your money selling the cartons for thirty quid after paying fifteen for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Sizzler wrote: »

hahaha

when the government is able to stop me buying hash, pills or acid then maybe I'll worry that they're coming after my illegal cigarettes,.

maybe.

Mordeth wrote: »
    hahaha

when the government is able to stop me buying hash, pills or acid then maybe I'll worry that they're coming after my illegal cigarettes,.

maybe.

Classy ;)

Advertisement