Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors seek an increase of 2Euro on Cigarettes!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just think of it as an investment in your future health care.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly it's onlt a pre-budget submission - much the same as they do every year and as is done by numerous groups in the country.

Secondly, it may not be a bad idea! (And yes I do smoke myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

get the ****ing boat tbh!

this increase will only make matter worse, not better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Another excuse to give them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The real solution here is to take them out of the CPI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Us smokers pay enough taxes as it is,why should we pay more.

/waits for the usual shower to remind me that its going to pay for the health service i will be availaing of when i am dying of cancer.

But if my extra 2euro was going directly to the health service i wouldnt mind as much. Instead it will go on some review group that will be set up to see where the cash goes,and they will be paid a mint to do this the fcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Another excuse to give them up.

It's repeatedly shown to not have the desired affect.

They need to go a different route of else just admit it's revenue from smokes and beer that keep us afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Igy wrote: »

+1

This definitly needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

All this will do to drive the demand in black market cigarettes.

They showed this on Primetime a few months back.
    People are coming from Riga with thousands of cigarettes and claim they are for “personal use”, lol
    There are Eastern Europeans shops on Talbot St, Dublin where they got a reporter to buy these. Of course Irish people do the same also, dare I say the IRA used to do this

Customs are no fools and they seize the cigarettes at the airport and ports. but they can’t stop everyone.

There will come a time when the price set by the government is so high, they’ll end up getting less tax revenue but no difference in people smoking as a trip abroad to buy thousands of cigarettes will pay for itself. A fairly good chance you won't be caught.
    People aren’t being prosecuted for this and people seem to accept it and getting one over the taxman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

It will just lead to an increase in black market cigarettes.

I'd prefer to see a banning of smoking outside personal property, that might change a thing or two.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you can smoke thim in the CPI...?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

micmclo wrote: »

Customs are no fools and they seize the cigarettes at the airport and ports. but they can’t stop everyone.
    They were showing them on that customs programme on RTE last night. Watching them destroying the hundreds of thousands of cigarettes they had siezed was tear jerking:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but I don't think you can smoke thim in the CPI...?
    CPI - Consumer Price Index, it's a price index of various goods that is used to determine the inflation rate.
    If the price of anything on the lsit goes up, so does the official inflation rate.
    If ciggies weren't on it, they could be 50 quid a pack without affecting inflation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Didn't know about that CPI...

take it off that so, and charge 25 euro for every pack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Just start charging a major organ for each pack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Why cant they just let us smokers die in peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Why cant they just let us smokers die in peace?

they can but at smokers expense only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I think its a brill idea, I wonder why it hasnt been done before?
    Oh I know... its because common sense it not very common in politics, and would in turn benefit the poplus of Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:rolleyes: Usual muppetry from the usual suspects. Yes it'll make a few give up, but less face it if adding a few quid is what it'll take to make you give up in the face of all the other reasons then I would say that makes you a bit sad tbh. It'll defo increase black market trade. Naturally. I also would have no problem if the revenue was used in a good way, but successive Irish governments have shown that organising píss ups is breweries is beyond them.

PS I used to smoke. Loved it in fact. Gave up a few weeks ago. Won't smoke again either. But unlike so many sad smug bastid ex smokers I would never begrudge somebody else getting whatever they get from having a ciggie.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

+9000!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

This crap really gets on my tits..

First of all who the bloody hell are these doctors to "demand" an increase on any tax?
    Let alone Alcohol and cigarettes..

What is the idea here? Get everybody in the country to quit smoking?
    I guarantee you that the Irish government does not want that. The ammount of cash they'd loose would be daft.

Have they not figured it out yet?
    You can charge whatever you want for them, ppl will either pay it or import them illigally.
    You can make the warning on the pack even bigger, people will choose to ignore it.
    You can put pictures of diseased lungs on the pack, people will buy cigarette cases.
    You can stop people smoking indoors, the entire vibe of going out in dublin changes and now we have a massive beergarden culture. I actually have friends who have started smoking since the ban just to be outside with everybody else.

It's a drug, People are addicted. They know the risks and choose to smoke anyway. It's not illegal, the smoking ban has made removed the second hand smoke damage to other people argument.

Leave smokers alone, bugger off with the 2 Euro, and let them choose to risk the cancer themselves instead of trying to bloody babysit them...

/Rant.

CPI - Consumer Price Index, it's a price index of various goods that is used to determine the inflation rate.
    If the price of anything on the lsit goes up, so does the official inflation rate.
    If ciggies weren't on it, they could be 50 quid a pack without affecting inflation

Seeing as you are unfamilar with sarcasm, we will close the cash register at this point....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

I was told by a mate working in a hospital that next year all hospitals are putting in a programme to make all the staff quit, patients also. Its going to be free. Free gum + patches etc, has anybody else heard anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I wouldn't mind this increase ( it would definately mean id smoke less and i roll my own anyway so its not much of a problem) if the money went towards improving our own health service. But it won't and it'll get spent on something absolutely useless, just like everything else. Jesus lads, I'm moving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

i bet they are going to put drink up also!!! Its def time to move if they do.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm a smoker and I wish they would just ban them altogether. Might force me to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'm a smoker and I wish they would just ban them altogether. Might force me to quit.

It could work for you, but as people have said before the black market will be there for people who don't want to quit. Or there's those who don't like being told what's best for them. Bad idea really. Why not post your picture around to all the shops in dublin with a message saying "do not serve this man smokes"? I'm a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Maximilian wrote: »
    Wagon wrote: »
    Why not post your picture around to all the shops in dublin with a message saying "do not serve this man smokes"?

Or, You know...
    Willpower :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

No, this should never be allowed to happen. The CPI is meant to be representative of what the average person actually buys, and the average person does indeed buy a certain amount of cigarettes.

If you start taking out products because they are unhealthy (cigarettes now, next sweets, next processed foods?) then you start down a process whereby the CPI figure eventually becomes meaningless.

AJ (Ex Smoker).

Advertisement