Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lamborghinis etc in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Blue850 wrote: »
    I remember a black TVR parked next door to the National School I went to, (30 years ago:rolleyes:). dunno what model, but it had MK2 Cortina tail lights.
    Are you sure its not MK1 cortina lights...they look like this..
    2288274402_7d41829914.jpg?v=0
    Was it the TVR griffeth that had those lights?Im probably totally wrong with that though?

Believe it or not its actually vinyl!
    Surprising for such an expensive car!!Nice to have all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

I read somewhere (probably here) that someone at Kinnihans was building a Mercede Vito with a mid mounted V12 from a written off Lamborghini

Thats true Blue850, the garage that built it was/is called Gunt Tuning, used to deal with Tom when trying to get advertising for Modified Motors

Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I am aware of a Dublin accountant who had a 308 or 328 in the early to mid eighties.

There were 'his and hers' red and white Lotus Esprits in the early 80's in Leopardstown area, owned by a youngish couple. Dunno where they got the money!

Also, see the first few post in this page:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256944&highlight=lotus&page=144

Saw an Irish registered Aston Martin Virage on the M50 in 1995, someone told me name of owner but I can't remember.

Great thread, btw.

I am aware of a Dublin accountant who had a 308 or 328 in the early to mid eighties.
    tc20 wrote: »
    I do recall in the early-mid 80s seeing on numerous ocasions an original Irish reg red Ferrari parked on Leeson St Lwr (between junction of Adelaide road & the Green)

I'd say we're probably talking about the same car here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

cxcully wrote: »
    This could be a false memory,but as a child in the early 80s I heard that the owner of the large Mercedes truck garage (?Kinnihans) on the N6 between Moate and Kilbeggan owned a Lamborghini Countach.

Not a false memory, that Countach was silver and had the registration KIN 1 (from memory, verified on Cartell).

Myself and my Dad were driving towards Rochfortbridge in the summer of 1990 when we were passed by that car.. let's just say he may have been 'verifying its performance' :D

bennya wrote: »
    Not a false memory, that Countach was silver and had the registration KIN 1 (from memory, verified on Cartell).
    That was originally a 1967 kerry reg,wonder what it was originally and when it made its way onto a countach....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

I was friends with a girl from Bray in the early-mid eighties whose Da drove a Aston Martin DB5 or DB6 (probably a DB6, but memory is cloudy). He wrote one off between Bray and Greystones and bought a second one to replace it - both were gunmetal silver. He was in the fish business and wasn't adverse to transporting the odd pallet from the fish market in the back of the car. It tended to smell a bit fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

alastair wrote: »
    I was friends with a girl from Bray in the early-mid eighties whose Da drove a Aston Martin DB5 or DB6 (probably a DB6, but memory is cloudy). He wrote one off between Bray and Greystones and bought a second one to replace it - both were gunmetal silver. He was in the fish business and wasn't adverse to transporting the odd pallet from the fish market in the back of the car. It tended to smell a bit fishy.

Was it a Mr. Keogh by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Was it a Mr. Keogh by any chance?

Just the man!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Are you sure its not MK1 cortina lights...they look like this..
    2288274402_7d41829914.jpg?v=0
    Was it the TVR griffeth that had those lights?Im probably totally wrong with that though?

TVR Vixen had either Mk1:

tvrbrands.jpg

or Mk2:

VIXEN1.jpg

But then again the Griffith might have been the same or so could the Grantura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

I heard the romour before that CJ Haughey owned a Delorean from new. Can anyone confirm this or confirm does an original Irish reg one exist at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RS1700T

I thik there was an original irish regd de lorean, used to live in sandymount area . A Nissan dealer owned the lambo in the lotto tv advert , he may still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

aravan wrote: »
    I heard the romour before that CJ Haughey owned a Delorean from new. Can anyone confirm this or confirm does an original Irish reg one exist at all.

...........he couldn't drive...............so I doubt it !

I have only seen 1 Irish reg'd one, though dont recall what the number looked like !

aravan wrote: »
    I heard the romour before that CJ Haughey owned a Delorean from new.
    A dodgy guy owning a dodgy car built by another dodgy guy...hmmm:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭aravan

MercMad wrote: »

I have only seen 1 Irish reg'd one, though dont recall what the number looked like !

I'd love to track it down. It would be as rare as a rocking horse poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Goin OT a bit, theres load of AE86 Corolla Twin Cams about, but I've only ever seen one original pre 87 Irish reg, KZG 16.
    My brother was in college with a lad from Limerick who said his parents moved to Ireland from the UK in the early 70s and because they needed a larger car, swapped their E-type for a Ford Zodiac!

Goin OT a bit, theres load of AE86 Corolla Twin Cams about, but I've only ever seen one original pre 87 Irish reg, KZG 16.
    When i was in school a friend of mine had silver one(his dad had a garage)its reg was 459KZK,its still on carzone,Registration 459KZK MakeTOYOTA ModelCOROLLA Description1.6 DOHC Fuel Type PETROL but i believe it was crashed not long after he sold it...
    Theres a gold one about somewhere with an irish reg too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

A pre-'87 reg. DeLorean would definitely be interesting to see.

My brother was in college with a lad from Limerick who said his parents moved to Ireland from the UK in the early 70s and because they needed a larger car, swapped their E-type for a Ford Zodiac!

...........there were plenty about in the day around here anyway. Quite a popular car, but I think they only achieved a cult following when the front wheel drive one arrived !

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »
    ...........there were plenty about in the day around here anyway. Quite a popular car, but I think they only achieved a cult following when the front wheel drive one arrived !
    The drift scene drove them mad too..theres loads for sale on carzone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

From memory I think the early 308 on leeson street was owned by Gillian Bowler of travel agent fame.

The lamborghini in the lotto ad was a kit car with a Renault 30 v6.
    and was at one stage owned by a Kilkenny businessman called Madden,he also had a Detomaso Panthera,
    porsche 928 and various ferrari's back in the 80's/90's

The Vito truck/Lamborghini was at the Kilbeggan american show a few years ago was mettalic blue and well built if memory serves me.

In the 80's a red Porsche 928 was doing the rounds in central dublin reg
    "ESI 1" .(still on cartell)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

tc20 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that wasn't a Dino, more like a 308 or 348. I haven't seen that car there for it must be at least 6-8 years. (i work in Bray, live nearby)

I do recall in the early-mid 80s seeing on numerous ocasions an original Irish reg red Ferrari parked on Leeson St Lwr (between junction of Adelaide road & the Green)

My landlord had 2 dinos. One minter and a shell he was rebuilding. This was early 90's. I made a gear linkage for him. He paid me by allowing a week rent free, 65 quid at the time. Awkward job with a left and right hand thread on the adjuster. He seemed quite happy with the deal..think he lived out killiney direction

tyney wrote: »
    My landlord had 2 dinos. One minter and a shell he was rebuilding. This was early 90's. I made a gear linkage for him. He paid me by allowing a week rent free, 65 quid at the time. Awkward job with a left and right hand thread on the adjuster. He seemed quite happy with the deal..think he lived out killiney direction
    Wonder did he finish it...

hi5 wrote: »
    In the 80's a red Porsche 928 was doing the rounds in central dublin reg "ESI 1" .(still on cartell)

There were several 928s around in the 80's. I think Elio Malocco used to have one.

hi5 wrote: »
    From memory I think the early 308 on leeson street was owned by Gillian Bowler of travel agent fame.

The lamborghini in the lotto ad was a kit car with a Renault 30 v6.
    and was at one stage owned by a Kilkenny businessman called Madden,he also had a Detomaso Panthera,
    porsche 928 and various ferrari's back in the 80's/90's

The Vito truck/Lamborghini was at the Kilbeggan american show a few years ago was mettalic blue and well built if memory serves me.

In the 80's a red Porsche 928 was doing the rounds in central dublin reg
    "ESI 1" .(still on cartell)

..............that 928 was owned by a friend of mine's family. It was originally bronze metallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ozf

DarenO wrote: »
    You name it and an example has probably made its way onto Irish roads, in the same way as now with Ferrari, Lamborghini and Maserati all possible to see on your daily drive.

Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s the rich of the day also privately imported such fine machinery and paid top dollar given the tax concessions were only available to CKD kits.

My father worked for Huet Motors in the sixties and everything from Rolls Royce to Facel Vega passed through his hands, I recall the one time owner of Mondello had a DeTomaso Pantera. The first Irish Porsche had a ZO xxxx reg god if that was around today.

Darren
    I also worked there 60's/70,s, probably know your father.. a lovely Gordon Keeble used to be serviced there SZH 555, i'ts now in Germany. Plenty of Rollers, Bentlys Alvis & Bristol passed through there.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

I remember as kids we used to look in through the gates of a house in Killiney that had a white Lotus Esprit, around the time that one featured in a James Bond movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KTRIC wrote: »
    Also in Bray, Co.Wicklow. I've seen it parked in front of a house on the way up the head for as long as I can remember. Looks mint too.
    Are you sure thats not a kit car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

ozf wrote: »
    I also worked there 60's/70,s, probably know your father.. a lovely Gordon Keeble used to be serviced there SZH 555, i'ts now in Germany. Plenty of Rollers, Bentlys Alvis & Bristol passed through there.

SZH 555 spent many years in the U.K and was sold 7 or 8 years ago to Germany.

Martin Buckley test drove it for one of the Classic car mags just before it was sold. It had a U.K reg at that time but it was the car, chassis no. 87.

Advertisement