Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lamborghinis etc in Ireland

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

And three seats , the middle one , being for the mistress according to the french designers, and original launch blurb, how far we've become PC wise !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bijapos wrote: »
    Went to boarding school in Sligo in the mid 80's. There was a yellow 911 carrera there, driven by a woman, seemingly was previously owned by Phil Coulter, sttod out well in Sligo back then!

i remember that Porsche well , used to slobber all over it at lunch time when id nip down town on the pushbike from school , it used to belong to mrs waters , her son owns shoot the crows pub in sligo , it may still be stashed away in some shed somewhere .

Vincent bonners old BMW M5 still lives in sligo too , the chap that owns the record room owns it for years , i spent a lot of time looking at it too , dreaming . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's right. The late Ursula. RIP. A lovely woman. She suffered a brain injury from a bad fall and was never able to drive again. AS far as I know it was written of by one of the sons coming in from Dromahair one night. I'll find out during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Mac 3

Kevin, you are the man!

I came here to ask if anyone knew of a Ferrari 400 in Limerick. It was the first Ferrari I ever saw as a car obsessed kid. It was the early 80’s and it pulled into the petrol station in Ballyneety. He floored it as he took off much to the delight of the small assembled crowd.

What else can you tell me about it? I remember it as black or dark blue.

I think the owner of this one lived out towards Kilmallock. She was a 365 GT4 I think. I have a pic of it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Mac 3

IMGP0175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

unkel wrote: »
    And to add to that, I was wowed even more by its successor, the Matra Murena. Some of you younger posters might not agree. But that car was very futurisic looking in 1980 when I was 12 :)

ANDERE_Matra_Murena_1_6_-_top-original_1415819776.jpg

There was a red one of these in Tralee in the early / mid 80s. I think it was a teacher in the community college who owned it. I thought it was cool looking car back then. I was also 12 in 1980 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

northern countach passed through Dundalk and Drogheda in the 80`s.

Reg was HXI 5944, never ever forgot it.

As a young fella we used to follow it for miles on our bikes through the traffic.
    Turns out he was a builder from Boucher road and we got talking to him a few times.he was mad into the rugby internationals in Landsdowne and always took the Lambo on these trips.

i still have a picture of it somewhere !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

blingrhino wrote: »
    northern countach passed through Dundalk and Drogheda in the 80`s.

Reg was HXI 5944, never ever forgot it.

As a young fella we used to follow it for miles on our bikes through the traffic.
    Turns out he was a builder from Boucher road and we got talking to him a few times.he was mad into the rugby internationals in Landsdowne and always took the Lambo on these trips.

i still have a picture of it somewhere !

Passed MOT in may of this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Passed MOT in may of this year.

And taxed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Fred%20Frazer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ha!

Reminds me of that brilliant scene in Wolf of Wall Street with his Lambo.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

HXI 5944 appears to live in Scotland now.

October 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

That brings back memories !

Funny it was never changed to a private plate ?

still looks as good as it did 30 years ago !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Spotted this at a cave entrance in France last week

IMG_3513_1.jpg

IMG_3515_1.jpg

These were in the cave along with loads of other stuff be we were caught snooping so had to go

IMG_3516_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,744 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like you can buy a very decent one for around EUR7-8k

640x480.jpg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Coxy_VW

Gonna reply to a 9 year old thread because..why not, this thread is gold!

That 70’s Maserati in Castletroy you saw may have been a Matra Bagheera X. It’s a classic 70’s wedge and probably even rarer. It was owned by a doctor who brought it with him from overseas. A unique feature is 3 front seats - shamelessly copied by the Maclaren f1 years later :-)

It was owned by my neighbour in Castletroy. He was a doctor and had it for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

UPDATE: Just to correct the record.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bijapos View Post
    Went to boarding school in Sligo in the mid 80's. There was a yellow 911 carrera there, driven by a woman, seemingly was previously owned by Phil Coulter, sttod out well in Sligo back then!

i remember that Porsche well , used to slobber all over it at lunch time when id nip down town on the pushbike from school , it used to belong to mrs waters , her son owns shoot the crows pub in sligo , it may still be stashed away in some shed somewhere .

Vincent bonners old BMW M5 still lives in sligo too , the chap that owns the record room owns it for years , i spent a lot of time looking at it too , dreaming .

sligojoek said:

That's right. The late Ursula. RIP. A lovely woman. She suffered a brain injury from a bad fall and was never able to drive again. AS far as I know it was written of by one of the sons coming in from Dromahair one night. I'll find out during the week.

I had a chat with Ronan (Uisce) from Shoots a few weeks ago and asked him about the car. His mother, Ursula, bought it from Phil Coulter. It was originally Regd in the north. Before she died the family sold it back to someone in the north and the last he heard, 5 yrs ago, was that it was well looked after and in daily use.

The story about him writing it off was just a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Zakmackraken

Was watching a video on a guys Ferrari 308 in their UK when I spotted what looks like an Irish reg Lamborghini Countach in the background. Anyone know of this car?

Video here: https://youtu.be/cBHSAPHvNtM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It's an Irish one alright.

Lamborghini Countach LP400 S LHD 2DR, 1981
    Body: 2 Door Coupe
    Engine CC: 3929
    Fuel: Petrol
    Colour: White

classic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

was that in a lotto advert one time ?

edit : Nope, that was red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HosHqZfYx1Q

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I suspect that the VZP one may have been owned by Derrick McMahon. He definitely had one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Having heard the thud of one of those polo balls off of walls, that is a risky parking space! Nice to keep an eye on your raging bull from your prancing horse though I guess!

I remember Billy Coleman buying one of the ex works Alpines.

Frank Keane was the BMW importer, trading as Motor Import, from at least 1968. Keane was a pretty serious racing driver at that time too. The original Donegal dealer for BMW, appointed by Keane was a guy called Willie Crawford in Raphoe.

Off topic, but the first day of the 55 mph national speed limit I got pulled by the sergeant from Raphoe. Smiled contritely and got away with it.

There was a Miura in Dublin in 1970 driven by a (foreign) student at Trinity. That's definitely a fact. The story I heard a while later was that he'd totaled it in the Naas dual carriageway and that Lamborghini had sent a truck from Italy to collect the wreckage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

This one is currently at Iain Tyrrell's in the UK having some work done and has been there for a few months. It appears in the background of his recent videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=iain+tyrrell+classic+cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Pity the diesel is on a ZV but its worth a look. The coupé would need careful looking at. The engine wiring harness will need to be changed if it hasn't been done already. That's a lot of money to do. Check cloth is unusual and nice. Check for rust and be wary of a car that's been resprayed. The facelift cars rust like hell

Advertisement