Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford Schools?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think you'll hear good and bad about all schools but often the deciding factor for the parents and pupils is the value each put on certain things about a school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hated the ursuline. As if first to third year wasn't a big enough pain in the hole, the dreaded transition year hit. DLS have the right idea about that travesty of a year. Restrict it and make it optional. A complete waste of a year that was and did nothing short of make me want to drop out of school altogether.

THen there were the teachers. Of course we had <snip - name removed> and the other one with the make up lines. But a lot of the teachers there were a great laugh. As for the Notions you're on about well I don't know if I'd agree about that. But that said I got my fair share of crap from them because of the people I hung out with so maybe you'e right.

Have to say I'd put my money on DLS being the best school. Repeated a good while back there and loved it and it benefited me immensely.

As for which ones are rough and which aren't I'd say they all have a combination. The ursuline despite its "notions" was rough enough in some cases. Seen a good few hidins there to be honest.St.Pauls however was the one we were always under the illusion was rough and full of scum. I knew a good few from there and to be honest I wouldn't call em scum at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Please edit out the names of teachers :(.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    Please edit out the names of teachers :(.

Report the posts please, makes life a hell of a lot easier for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Surprised to hear bad things about Waterpark. Always thought it was Waterford's version of a South Dublin rugby school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It still has the rugby alright, afaik!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

DLS is good for a number of things, but despite an optional TY, it's generally regarded as one of the worst schools in the city for organising Transition Year. They haven't sent TY's on a foreign trip for a nearly 10 years now, and that won't be changing any time soon. Many of the modules I took weren't taught well at all too. I remember taking First Aid classes once a week, but I didn't bother trying out the certificate at the end since I had eh..."missed" so many of the classes.

So you can imagine my surprise when at the end of the year I received not one, but TWO First Aid certificates saying I passed the test and am now fully qualified as someone who knows First Aid.

In my year we went to Dunmore East Adventure Centre in September, ice skating in Dublin in December, climbed Slievenamon in Tipperary in March and went paint balling in May. They were the only days we ever spent a full day outside of class. Hardly TY-worthy.

And in the meantime all the guys in the school had to listen about how the Ursuline were spending the weekend in Manchester while the Mercy went skiing in France for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭ec18

I am biased about my opinion but I wouldn't dream of recommending it to anyone as a good option most of my friends from the school agree too. It was and is a GAA school and if you play that you'll coast along, completely above the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

deise59 wrote: »

And in the meantime all the guys in the school had to listen about how the Ursuline were spending the weekend in Manchester while the Mercy went skiing in France for a week.

I never went on the Manchester trip actually. But I distinctly remember being sent to the Dunmore East Adventure Centre as part of a "bonding" process....I don't like water so it was a bit redundant. I drank tea for the day with the people working at the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

Back in 1980/81 my class went on an educational trip to Paris.

It was educational alright, the nuns had us girls in bed early at night and unbeknown to the nuns the male teacher took the boys out to the bars and the red light district. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LesRitaMitsouko

Trotter wrote: »
    I don't think Waterpark was/is protestant. Its Christian Brothers, although theres no brothers teaching there now.

What about Protestant brothers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LesRitaMitsouko

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Whoors from the hill!!! That's a classic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

What about Protestant brothers?

No idea.. sorry. As far as I know the Christian Brothers were a Catholic 'order' if thats the word for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

Waterpark college was founded by the Christian Brothers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

In case you'd like to know, there's a planning notice posted outside the main gates of DLS. They want to erect a new single story building as a home for the brothers where the tennis courts are (just to your left as you go up the drive) along with more parking areas, 2 new tennis courts and a "repositioning" of the main entrance to make it easier for people entering and exiting the grounds.

Delighted when I heard about it. The brothers have a maximum of 2 years left living in the college itself so its wonderful to hear they'll get to stay in the school grounds rather than moving up to the DLS brothers retirement home in Castletown up in Laois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Gerald Walsh

Was a boarder here 1968 to 1969 and was bullied like hell in De la salle. Was nicknamed all the time.
    Was so cheesed of f I had to become a day boy for 1969 to 1970 and that stopped the bullying.
    I could name the idiots involved but what's the point after 50 years. I would like to meet them now and give them a piece of my mind. I suspect the ones involved know what I am on about. CARRICK ON SUIR is my home town.

Advertisement