Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Broadband was very slow yesterday,kept oscillating up and down.
    Its perfect today and has been upgraded from 2Mb to 3Mb.
    They must have been upgrading the exchange yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

hellboy99 wrote: »
    This is my 3MB service:

321154236.png

In Tralee, last week and all weekend it was similar to this:mad: I'm on the
    3MB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

jack222 wrote: »
    You know what the thing that annoys me most is...

I rang BT and the guy just kept blaming my phone setup and router, even though I had the same setup for 2 years and all worked fine.

In the end I just gave up talking to him
    Its a waste of time contacting them. Its like BT and UTV have their tech support programmed to rhyme a load of crap about the upgrades at the slightest mention of slow speed or high pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Its a waste of time contacting them
    Too right it is, I was onto Eircom sales earlier as I'm cancelling with BT just to find out what I can get, was put through to tech support and told the max speed I can get on my line is 7.6MB. I told him of my current situation with speeds, reply I got;

1. was told that they're not aware of any problems
    2. upgrade has happened in my area without any issues
    3. had my line tested and my max speed should be at least 6MB to 7.6MB

What do you do :confused:

Too right it is, I was onto Eircom sales earlier as I'm cancelling with BT just to find out what I can get, was put through to tech support and told the max speed I can get on my line is 7.6MB. I told him of my current situation with speeds, reply I got;

1. was told that they're not aware of any problems
    2. upgrade has happened in my area without any issues
    3. had my line tested and my max speed should be at least 6MB to 7.6MB

What do you do :confused:
    Its too bad we can't get a good internet connection in what is supposed to be one of the richest countries in the world.

• Advertisement

I just ran a check here: http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

and from the results it ties in with what Eircom has told me.

lbcqs4.jpg

Is there anyway I can check my distance from the exchange and by using stats from my router get a rough idea of what I can get when you factor in distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

I'm based in the city centre and the service has more or less died over the last week....

I just ran a check here: http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

and from the results it ties in with what Eircom has told me.

lbcqs4.jpg

Is there anyway I can check my distance from the exchange and by using stats from my router get a rough idea of what I can get when you factor in distance.
    I tihnk distance is related to attenation, the further from the exchange you are the higher loss over the distance therefore an increase in attenuation but I could be wrong. There was a link to a site that showed the location of every exchange in the country through google maps. Ah this is the link: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/user?uid=118359808684743111028&hl=en&gl=uk Just do a get directions thingy and that will show your distance ;)

BT are keeping me well informed, got a call a few minutes ago from them informing me that there still is a problem with BAS and other issues and that they are still trying to resolve.
    I've been told to stay with them for the next week to see if things improve as they work on it (they will keep me informed too), if not I will be refunded, so no complaints there then.

They tell me that I would be lucky to get speeds of 4MB as I'm 5km from the exchange but not to take that as 100% as it may change either way with work they are doing.
    Went through the other usual things to do, reset router, check line etc...
    BT reading speeds on my line of 1/3 of a 1MB, IP's 78 & 213 are very poor, ended up now on IP 194 and told to run speedtest here:

http://home.eircom.net/speedtest/result.asp

Current speed now:
    Welcome to the eircom broadband Speed Test Site

Result: 2469kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Is everyones internet just slow or are you getting disconnected constantly.

Mine is not only very slow, I get cut off every few minutes.

Some days I could get disconnected every few minutes, sometimes I might stay connected for an hour (Wow!)

Yesterday was a lot better than it had been, both in terms of speed and continuity of connection

I'm going to follow the earlier posters advise re IP Addresses

• Advertisement

another call from BT :eek:, they're well on the ball today with trying to sort things out, lets hope they can fix it.

another call from BT :eek:, they're well on the ball today with trying to sort things out, lets hope they can fix it.
    Did they say it would be fixed soon ?
    Thanks for keeping us updated :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GreyAlien

Sent BT an email during the weekend, got a reply today about it. Unfortunately they never said when it'll be resolved, but will keep me updated.

My speeds seem to be mostly fine, my pings however are not and streaming any kind of video is awful. One tracert I did during the weekend took over 850ms on one of BT's Vlans. :(

Dear [insert name],

We are aware of a performance issue affecting some of our Consumer BT Broadband customers. This issue is currently being investigated by our network experts. We will provide an update on this issue as soon as we have more information. We are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    [Name Removed] BT Residential Technical Support

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Did they say it would be fixed soon ?
    Thanks for keeping us updated :rolleyes:
    They're not sure when but they are trying to get it done before the end of the week. To be honest I think the only way it will be fixed is to get rid of the upgrade, forget about speeds of up to 8MB and to go back to 3MB for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jack222

I have taken enough.

I could deal with it if BT support wasnt such a bunch of assholes.

Just got off the phone to NTL, might move over to their 20meg connection. Hearing horror stories about them too thought. Ireland is so ****ing backward.

I have taken enough.

I could deal with it if BT support wasnt such a bunch of assholes.

Just got off the phone to NTL, might move over to their 20meg connection. Hearing horror stories about them too thought. Ireland is so ****ing backward.
    It's a right mess alright, I want to cancel but who to I go to then :confused:, no UPC here.

Current speed of my 3MB:
    Eircom Broadband Speed Test
    Result: 460kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

They're not sure when but they are trying to get it done before the end of the week.

They said that last week :mad: At present my download speed is 110kbps (i kid you not), upload is 122 kbps.

Shocking service but as they lads point out - who can you rely on?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

This has gone well beyond a f*cking joke now, I can't even be bothered checking my speed as speedtest.net times out when I try connecting to it.

I can remember dial up being faster than the **** I've had to endure this past week.

C*NTS! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

They're not sure when but they are trying to get it done before the end of the week. To be honest I think the only way it will be fixed is to get rid of the upgrade, forget about speeds of up to 8MB and to go back to 3MB for everyone.

The 7.6mb upgrade has nothing to do with anyone but eircom wholesale, the issue BT are having is around their own connection out to the internet, i don't think the two are linked but together they're making a fairly full on sh1t experience for people who go online to do anything more than check their mail... FPS gaming? forget about it. Slow connections and high pings? nice. Lucky I've a ball of work to do around the house, plus not playing gets me back into the good books with the GF, course I don't tell her it's cos the internet's broken :P

The only thing to do is keep calling their tech support and registering it with them, like any problem, the more info you get on it, the easier it is to fix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

LMAO...just got home to BT's bill (which has gone up through their re-structuring of phone charges)...I try logging on to pay it...time outs, check my router and lo and behold the synch speed is now displaying 3072kbits down and 384kbits up...my signal to noise ratio is 2dB. Two.
    This is after BT ewere expressly told by both myslef and their own techs that my line couldn't handle more than 2mbits without going to sh*t, but yet they still "upgrade" it.
    It's been a long day and spending 30 minutes on the phone to some gobsh*te isn't how I want to spend the rest of it...get in the call queue tomorrow.

For a laugh I headed off to speedtest:

323894200.png

lol look at that ping...just as well my days of online gaming are behind me.
    They should be sending me money, not bills...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    LMAO...just got home to BT's bill (which has gone up through their re-structuring of phone charges)...I try logging on to pay it...time outs, check my router and lo and behold the synch speed is now displaying 3072kbits down and 384kbits up...my signal to noise ratio is 2dB. Two.
    This is after BT ewere expressly told by both myslef and their own techs that my line couldn't handle more than 2mbits without going to sh*t, but yet they still "upgrade" it.
    It's been a long day and spending 30 minutes on the phone to some gobsh*te isn't how I want to spend the rest of it...get in the call queue tomorrow.

For a laugh I headed off to speedtest:

323894200.png

lol look at that ping...just as well my days of online gaming are behind me.
    They should be sending me money, not bills...

My current donwload speed, 78kbs....

And I was told I have been upgraded to 6mb

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I cannot express my anger right now but here is my situation.

BB goes down on Friday morning, modem cannot sync, trys to connect at 3mb/s but only stays up for a few seconds at a time noise on line has risen by 4db.

Get on to BT tech support twice, kinda helpful but go through all the usual motions upgrade firmware etc.

Say they will have a look but my line may need to be downgraded. So no internet over the weekend.

today unfortunately I missed two call backs from Tech support but they leave a message that my line cannot handle the 3mb and I have been downgraded.

I think ok 2mb is not so bad at least I have had a good stable connection the past 4+ years.

Anyway I get home log onto the router to find I am now connected at 1024/128 + 140ms pings and the line is still noisy.

Some upgrade this has turned out to be, but I think I'll be going to Digiweb MEtro if Bt cannot get my line back to 2mb.

Im considering moving to Eircom, no one seems to be complaining about eircoms speeds, they offer 3mb connection at similar price.

At this stage its either Eircom or NTL, just cant decide.

Even if BT got this fixed I think I would still leave. I am shocked at just how bad customer support is, they just dont seem to give a ****. Every time I call I get told a different reason for the problems

FIRST THEY SAID IT WAS MY ROUTER AND THAT I HAD TO PLUG IT INTO THE MAIN PHONE LINE, PROBLEMS CONTINUE.

I CALL BACK THEY BLAME MY WIRELESS ROUTER, I TELL THEM IM CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THEIR ROUTER.

THEY THEN BLAME EIRCOM, WHEN WILL IT BE FIXED, HE SAYS THURSDAY....

I CALL BACK FRIDAY, THEY BLAME MY ROUTER AGAIN, THEY MAKE ME PLUG INTO MAIN PHONE LINE AGAIN.......I DO THIS....SPEED 100KBS

I CALL BACK TODAY, THE GUY TELLS ME HE IS SENDING ME A CABLE...

**** YOU BT YOU ****ING BASTARDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

/rubs hands....../thinking *with all these people moving away from BT... less contention... more bandwidth for meeeee....*:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Do what im doing. Just dont pay them for the last month. I've mailed them and informed them of this already. Why would you pay for something that doesnt work?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Youd really think at this point there would be someone Senior in BT going ape****. Clearly not though if its taking this long to solve.....BT are a total joke and yes BT we all know you are reading this thread just a pity you arent taking any bloody notice.

Hate to say it, but think its time to go back to Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

323948451.png

I'm in Mayo and this speed is ****. Only happening the last couple of days.

Sar! wrote: »
    Youd really think at this point there would be someone Senior in BT going ape****. Clearly not though if its taking this long to solve.....BT are a total joke and yes BT we all know you are reading this thread just a pity you arent taking any bloody notice.

Hate to say it, but think its time to go back to Eircom!

Indeed, time to start getting nasty with this crowd - this is obviously a NATIONWIDE problem and they're doing nothing about it. All it takes is an email explaining what the hell is going on and what steps they're taking to solve it.

Eircom are just as bad support wise which is why we're with BT in the first place :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Norfork Nights

Its an absolute joke,

Im on BT BB 3Meg in south Dublin and getting near dial up speeds.
    The connection is that slow its even logging out of messenger!

IM SO :mad::mad::mad:

Someone from BT that has a bit of clout must read these boards.
    Will mail then in the AM.

• Advertisement

This just about sums it up for me :mad: (On BT)

2861000006_8a6324c0fe_o.png

Advertisement