Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Schools?

• 15-09-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Following from a previous conversation (that was offline). What do people think of the schools in Waterford? ( Which are the best? and which have a less than brilliant reputation?)

Also what would people consider the "rough" and the "posh" areas of the city?

ec18

(P.S. Please be civil!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Back when I was in school (which isn't that long ago), Mount Sion and St. Pauls were the rough schools, and De La Salle was the posh one.

The privy ones are obviously posh.

And just to keep it civil, I neglect mentioning which one/s I went to. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Mount Sion was a very popular school though in the 70's - early 80's (well before my time)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

KingLoser wrote: »
    Back when I was in school (which isn't that long ago), Mount Sion and St. Pauls were the rough schools, and De La Salle was the posh one.

The privy ones are obviously posh.

And just to keep it civil, I neglect mentioning which one/s I went to. :pac:

I attended Mount Sion primary and secondary school and never found it rough, mind you I did leave there over 15 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

My two young lads both attend the boys school in ferrybank, and so far I am finding it very good. I have them both enrolled into the Abbey for 2013 and 2015, both years have been full for a few years now. The abbey seems to have a very good reputation at the moment. Hopefully this will continue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nicely worded ec18! ;)

It seems to have changed, but I always thought that Newtown School, Waterpark, Urseline and De La Salle (excuse me for incorrectly spelling the names!) were the "posher" of the schools in Waterford. That seems to have changed now and it seems to be a more "stuck up" attitude from places like Newtown. This is just from speaking to different people living in the city, as I have no personal experience myself.

Also, I do wonder would some of the posher schools be located in better estates, and visa-versa? Or does it make any difference?

Newtown would definitely be considered in a posh area and that would put De La Salle and Waterpark in the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

De La Salle posh?! Lol, I've heard it all now! I've just finished 6 years there and belief me posh definitely wouldn't be the correct terminology. Tbh, it's gotten so big now (just over 1100 students) that it doesn't fit into one specific group. There's too much a variety of different classes of students (and teachers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Newtown is probably the only proper posh school in Waterford, it used to take boarders and probably still does.Waterpark is not a posh school , it only has that notion attached to it because it's a protestant school.De la Salle is a normal school as is Mt Sion , Mt Sion may be a bit rougher but alot of that is really only rumour.Out of the lot of them I'd say De la Salle is the best as it is bigger and has better facilities and the attitude of the staff is good.Thats not saying the others are bad either as they also have their positive sides.(I know people who's kids go to all of them).However I'd say Newtown is probably the worst considering that it's the priciest option, kids from the other schools generally do better in the leaving and are more grounded.Out of the girl school from what I can tell, the Ursuline is the best.

deise59 wrote: »
    De La Salle posh?! Lol, I've heard it all now! I've just finished 6 years there and belief me posh definitely wouldn't be the correct terminology. Tbh, it's gotten so big now (just over 1100 students) that it doesn't fit into one specific group. There's too much a variety of different classes of students (and teachers)

+1 I'd agree
    Meatwad wrote: »
    De la Salle is a normal school as is Mt Sion , Mt Sion may be a bit rougher but alot of that is really only rumour.Out of the lot of them I'd say De la Salle is the best as it is bigger and has better facilities and the attitude of the staff is good..Out of the girl school from what I can tell, the Ursuline is the best.

Bigger isn't better a lot of De La Salle is based on an old reputation....but I have heard good thingS about the Ursuline and good reports from friends who went there

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Newtown is probably the only proper posh school in Waterford, it used to take boarders and probably still does.Waterpark is not a posh school , it only has that notion attached to it because it's a protestant school.De la Salle is a normal school as is Mt Sion , Mt Sion may be a bit rougher but alot of that is really only rumour.Out of the lot of them I'd say De la Salle is the best as it is bigger and has better facilities and the attitude of the staff is good.Thats not saying the others are bad either as they also have their positive sides.(I know people who's kids go to all of them).However I'd say Newtown is probably the worst considering that it's the priciest option, kids from the other schools generally do better in the leaving and are more grounded.Out of the girl school from what I can tell, the Ursuline is the best.

Waterpark is a protestant school? Sure I know a lot of Catholics that went (and teach!) there!

What about that school on Paddy Browns - St Pauls is it? Or the Mercy for the girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    Waterpark is a protestant school? Sure I know a lot of Catholics that went (and teach!) there!

What about that school on Paddy Browns - St Pauls is it? Or the Mercy for the girls?

Of course he means traditionally, same as Trinity is a protestant college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I don't think Waterpark was/is protestant. Its Christian Brothers, although theres no brothers teaching there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I attended Mount Sion primary and secondary school and never found it rough, mind you I did leave there over 15 years ago, so things may have changed since then.

My two young lads both attend the boys school in ferrybank, and so far I am finding it very good. I have them both enrolled into the Abbey for 2013 and 2015, both years have been full for a few years now. The abbey seems to have a very good reputation at the moment. Hopefully this will continue.

Yeah I went to the abbey from 2nd to 6th year, looking back on it I would certainly consider it a good school and that seems to be the general consensus about the place ( don't let my ****e spelling suggest otherwise :P).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Trotter wrote: »
    I don't think Waterpark was/is protestant. Its Christian Brothers, although theres no brothers teaching there now.

Think that's right actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Any one know anything about that Yeats college on the Manor?Is it just for repeats 6th years or is it an actual school.Haven't heard a thing about it since it opened, either good or bad.
    Never realised that about Waterpark.From all accounts about it as well it's supposed to be a grand school.I went to De La Salle and loved it at the same point some of my mates went to Waterpark, think always presumed it was Protestant because its more rugby orientated than some of the other schools.Its been nearly 15 years since was at De La Salle but both my nephews have gone there and from their accounts it doesn't seem to have changed much.One nephew did leaving last year there,and compared to some of the other kids that went to other schools the De La Salle crowd seem to have done better with the results(I know there's no proof to state that it was because of going to De La Salle , there could be other factors at play and it might just be with in the small group of kids I know and as well I am slightly biased anyway lol).
    All in all though I don't really think that there are any truelly terrible schools in Waterford, csn never remember any really awful stories about any school compared to some of the horror stories I have heard in other parts of the country and in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I attended Waterpark - and can assure u it's not Protestant or has any Protestant history. Set up by the Christian Brothers over 200 years ago - and I had some brothers teaching me. It was also far from posh, and I don't really know why it had that reputation. The majority of students were rural as in South KK, or Passage or Cheekpoint.

The only posh-ish schools would be Newtown and Yeats. I think most boys schools are on a par - Mount Sion and St Pauls would have more of a rough reputation - but that's more to do with their location and people's pre-conceived notions of rough areas in Waterford. I think these two would have the same blend of students as De La Salle or Waterpark.

In terms of the BEST schools, in terms of teaching...I reckon there are a few dud teachers in every public secondary school. It's down to luck whether u get them or not. In terms of facilities, I think the bigger schools will always win - possibly due to bigger funding - but De La Salle, the Ursuline and the Mercy are probably best for facilities.

Having said all that, I have no real complaints about Waterpark. All in all, it was a well-rounded school experience. I think I generally would prefer a smaller school. I think students get more attention and it's good that everyone knows everyone and you can keep an eye out. Just my tuppence worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Waterpark was originally a Christian Brothers school. I really didn't enjoy my time there and left early due to problems in there. From a friend of the family who's son is attending there at the moment, things haven't changed unfortunately. It'd be the last place I'd send my son.

Yeats can be a great school if students are willing to put in the work. It's 5th and 6th year there. (While I was there:) In 5th year, you're in until 9 two nights a week, and in for a few hours on a Sat. Teachers there are generally good and interested, but because it's so small, if you piss off one, or one takes a disliking towards you for any reason, you're the biggest bastard known to the education system.

I liked 5th year in there much more than 6th year - 6th year, in until 9 every night, and they ask you to stay until 10. In for most of the day on Sat aswell. It was pretty offputting coming up to the LC when I had no time to myself, but tbh, if it wasn't for one of the teachers in Yeats, I wouldn't be where I am now, so I have a lot to thank it for.

Most of my friends would have went to DLS, and by all means, it's a top notch school. With so many students, they have so much more in the line of facilities, and I guess, with so many people there, it's easier to find groups into the same activities, or at least, that's what I saw growing up. I'd be sending my son there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

St Pauls was not a rough school, it was one of the only real co-ed schools in Waterford, which had a semi civilising effect on us chaps, while giving us the capability to talk to girls without turning into a stammering blushing wreck, unlike many of our peers!

It is a VEC school which means that it did not have the same level of religeous interference present in many other schools (compare your history books!), no crosses over the blackboard etc.

The co-ed bit and proper science/craft facilities were the main benefits when I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

There's an awful lot to be said for co-ed schools. I think the social skills you pick up interacting with the opposite sex at a young age is twenty times more important than trigonometry in terms of life skills.

Fajitas...sorry to hear you had a bad experience at Waterpark. It's a good few years since I was there, but as I said, I had no problems there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Waterpark was originally a Christian Brothers school. I really didn't enjoy my time there and left early due to problems in there. From a friend of the family who's son is attending there at the moment, things haven't changed unfortunately. It'd be the last place I'd send my son.

Most of my friends would have went to DLS, and by all means, it's a top notch school. With so many students, they have so much more in the line of facilities, and I guess, with so many people there, it's easier to find groups into the same activities, or at least, that's what I saw growing up. I'd be sending my son there.

My son has just started at De La Salle as has most of his primary school classmates. The choice of subjects and facilities were the deciding factors that influenced our choice. I think he's settling in ok, I was the nervous wreck. There are some amount of rules to get used to. The new principal had a very good reputation in his previous school.

A few of his friends went to Waterpark but there's no way I'd even consider sending him there as I've heard quite a number of things that put me off and it seems to be getting worse. Also the school may not be there in a few years as numbers have dropped, there are talks of it amalgamating with another school, think it's Mount Sion.

fenris wrote: »
    St Pauls was not a rough school, it was one of the only real co-ed schools in Waterford, which had a semi civilising effect on us chaps, while giving us the capability to talk to girls without turning into a stammering blushing wreck, unlike many of our peers!

Any of my friends that went to St Pauls always agree on that. Said it was a really good place.
    djsupreme wrote: »
    There's an awful lot to be said for co-ed schools. I think the social skills you pick up interacting with the opposite sex at a young age is twenty times more important than trigonometry in terms of life skills.

Definitely a hell of a lot to be said for co-ed schools. Even my 2 years in Yeats showed me that (And not in a sleazy way). :)
    deisemum wrote: »
    My son has just started at De La Salle as has most of his primary school classmates. The choice of subjects and facilities were the deciding factors that influenced our choice. I think he's settling in ok, I was the nervous wreck. There are some amount of rules to get used to. The new principal had a very good reputation in his previous school.

A few of his friends went to Waterpark but there's no way I'd even consider sending him there as I've heard quite a number of things that put me off and it seems to be getting worse. Also the school may not be there in a few years as numbers have dropped, there are talks of it amalgamating with another school, think it's Mount Sion.

I'd like to point out you made a good decision there, but I'm heavily biased! :pac:

• Advertisement

My husband went to De La Salle for Junior Cert and then to St Paul's for his Leaving Cert (1983) due to subject choices.

Some of his teachers are still in De La Salle. We've been told by neighbouring teenagers that our son has a nice year tutor and the year master is alright. I did meet with the year master last December and found him to be on the ball from a parent's point of view.

According to our son some teachers are nice others not so but that's to be expected.

He'll never connect with every teacher, but if he reckons there's some nice ones, he'll do well. As you know yourself, it's much easier to work under someone you like/respect. I'm not sure if she's still there, but there's a very good art teacher in there, was married to my art teacher in 6th year. Both have very good reputations.

If he's into that side of it at all, he'll enjoy those classes!

He's not doing art, he chose French and Tech Graphic as his extra subjects.

The tuck shop, going out at lunchtime and occasionally his friends and himself chipping in for pizza seem to be a novelty as well as going across the road to tease their confined former primary school classmates. :;)

Getting used to sorting out which books he needs each day, finding classrooms, scanning in twice a day etc is a new experience.

He doesn't expect all the teachers to be nice, he had a couple of teachers in primary school who shouldn't be allowed near children, had to get the gardai in at one stage it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ah that stupid scanning in system, all the memories are flooding back now :D

DLS implemented that about 18 months ago, but its a bit of a joke tbh. The school don't care less in what state your ID card is in, as long as you still scan in every morning and every lunch time, so some of the cards got in some state (one guy had just the barcode, which was stuck together with sellotape, but he still scanned in as usual. Fecking cheapskate didn't want to pay the €10 for a new one XD)

The one thing that really did annoy me bout it though was that the machines don't turn on until 10-15 minutes before lunch ended. Not only did this mean a mad queue every lunchtime(sorry, I mean a stampede, this is an all guy school after all!) , but once you get to start going to places like pitch and putt or bowling for afternoon PE you couldn't make your way out until the machines turned on, so we ended up missing a good bit of PE every week over that. I think the PE department had said though that they'll get that sorted for next year.

I was pretty close to going to the Abbey for secondary school, and while from the sounds of it the Abbey is going really well, I'm still glad I ended up in DLS. Tbh, I don't think the tuition is a good there then say the Ursuline, but the Music Department is absolutely top-notch. All those hours spent with the 2 choirs, learning a new instrument or two or generally messin around in the music room were easily the parts of school I enjoyed most.

Beware though, be prepared for an avalanche of hurling commotion there too, especially when the senior team are getting to the latter stages of the Munster Championships. I'm a huge hurling fan don't get me wrong, but the entire school goes way too over-the-top for the first few months after Christmas if they're still in the competition (which they probably will be, since they'e going for their own 3-in-a-row of All Irelands)

Things like "Wanted" posters with pictures of the school they're playing against next hung on the walls really bugged me. That and their constant success will inevitably lead to a few inflated egos within the team. It got to a stage where there were quite a number of students in the school that actually wanted the team to lose. Word will also get around about just how much money are contributing to the team too. I know they hold quite a lot of fundraisers, but that alone won't pay for weekends away to Dublin or Sunderland for a panel of 40+

That aside, one of the much more pleasing aspects of the school are the Brothers that still live there, one of the soundest groups of people you'll likely to come across. They'll always take an interest in what you're doing, whatever it is. They'll be there for the hurling matches, for the school concerts, for the exams asking how you got on, and they'll still have time to do a lot of maintanence work around the school

They also let any 6th years go into the study there and work away whenever you like, be it a weeknight, weekend or during one of the school holidays. That definitely helped me for the LC last year, and you'll also get chatting to the brothers a lot more there too.

Probably the biggest dissapointment I had there was when they got rid of the 90 minute lunch breaks and replaced it with a measly 40 minutes. My god, that took some getting used to! I don't think it was the school's choice though. Up until then they only taught CSPE within English, Geography and History classes, until the Dept. of Education told them it needed a seperate class time. Then SPHE was introduced as a subject too, so they had to make room on the timetable for both of them. I think part of that decision might have been due to the near constant complaints the school had been getting from shops in town since students had nothing better to do for 90 minutes than to cause hassle. But the senior students got to finish 50 minutes earlier as a result, so that helped a bit I guess. I still think though that many would prefer to go back to the 90 minute lunches.

The one thing I'd be warned about was the amount of money I'll be sending in through the year. I'm sending in big enough amounts some days. I've to send in more tomorrow.

I prefer the shorter lunch break and finishing earlier wednesday to friday. I didn't think I'd have to sign his homework journal every night, I'm just initialling it so he can copy it if needs be, bad mother.

Only 1 boy from my son's primary went to the Abbey. We heard very mixed reports about it but you'll hear mixed reports about all schools.

I'm delighted to hear such positive feedback about the brothers, the lad next door is in LC and is full of praise about them and I've never had anything to do with them anywhere, had nuns though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

deisemum wrote: »

:eek: That is a shocking thing to say!

I went to waterpark and during my years there Mr Beecher had turned that school around completely.

That is a very snobby post i must say and very gossipy!

Deisemum, you can expect to spend a lot more if you were to send him to Yeats ;)
    :eek: That is a shocking thing to say!

I went to waterpark and during my years there Mr Beecher had turned that school around completely.

That is a very snobby post i must say and very gossipy!

Not really, it's personal opinion. Different people have (very) different experiences. No statements were made, just opinion. :)

I went to Yeats for the revision course they had - I hated it. Not my thing, others loved it. Iv heard good stories (and of course bullying reports, but that happens everywhere) of both Waterpark and the Ursline. A little about De La Sal but nowhere else.

Some schools are known to have good lecturers and some schools have crap. I know, I was thought Maths for a few years by a PE Teacher who insisted I give a medical certificate to prove that in fact my leg, which was in plaster, was actually broken before he could say I was to be excused from PE. :rolleyes: Plus, I was also in a wheelchair at that time and had crutches also.

The new principal of the De La Sal, while he might be strict he is very good. Did wonders in his last job imo.

Sully wrote: »

The new principal of the De La Sal, while he might be strict he is very good. Did wonders in his last job imo.

I know families whose children are attending his former school and they have great respect for their former principal and some were gutted when they heard he was leaving.

I've no problem with people who are strict as long as they're fair with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement