Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair again...€1 flights Sept & Oct

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

8 of us went to Manchester on a Thurs night & returned on a Monday for a grand total of €0.16. - TRUTH.

Got a Utd game in and all!!

This was nearly a year ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

kingaaa wrote: »
    If you despise them so much, why use them so much? :confused:

I told you in the first post. They save me money. I couldn't afford to travel that much with another airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I regularly travel from Cork-Dublin and even with the €10 CC charge it costs €12 return
    You can't knock that @ all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

I've been screwed by Ryanair a few times now between changing my flight details a day before i leave, charging my that little bit extra when they can and dire customer service.
    Do i continue to use them?
    Absolutely.

Dont get me wrong, If I could get the tickets I want to Malaga at even a half decent price I would use them too. Can you imagine what this airline would be like if they were actually customer friendly? There must be a lot out there like me who cringe when the hear the word ryanair and are a bit reluctant to use them because of the stealth charges and poor customer service. On one of the occasions I used them there were a few of us going to London, The fare was around €150 each return.About 6 weeks before the trip somebody pulled out, but had organised another person to take his place so he rang ryanair (I think the phone number was a premium rate number) and was told it would cost €128 to change the name on the ticket! How can that be justified? In fact, you know what, I dont think I would use them again - out of the few times I've used them I've had some right horror stories!

• Advertisement

In fact, you know what, I dont think I would use them again - out of the few times I've used them I've had some right horror stories!
    A few posts ago you said you've been checking the ryanair website for months looking for flights?

As has been said a million times; "you get wat you pay for"

Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats. If you're willing to put up with that, you can travel realtively cheaply.

Dodge wrote: »
    A few posts ago you said you've been checking the ryanair website for months looking for flights?

As has been said a million times; "you get wat you pay for"

Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats. If you're willing to put up with that, you can travel realtively cheaply.

I did say that a few posts ago but thats not all I said, I said if I could get what I want when I want it at the right price, the holy grail of ryanair flights.Whats your point?
    Why should we have to put up with Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats? most of it is totally unneccasary. And like you said,"can travel realtively cheaply" - but its extremeley rare to travel for the price they advertise. I think its an Irish thing myself, most of the posters here have said that they dont like ryanair, they have no customer service, the planes are uncomfortable, they are totally in-flexible, and they hit you with stealth charges - but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek. They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S. Good luck to yiz all, but I dont think I'll be using them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just seen Dub to London Gatwick for €2 return. Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

thare not becase befor you now its 300 euros to go anyware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Just booked Dublin to Nice in October €20 return all in

• Advertisement

They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S.

You know Ryanair are based on Southwest Airlines, don't you? And its obviously not an irish thing if they carry more passengers than any other european airline.

Why should we have to put up with Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats?
    You don't, you can use other airlines. If you're willing to put up with the above, Ryanair may work out for you, if you're not, don't use them. it st he equivalent of people complaining about there not being enough meat in a Big mac, surely you know what you're getting when you buy it?
    but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek
    People are sticking up for them because you're being totally ridiculous. You wanted flights to malaga for a euro, couldn't find them, and decided to have a rant about the Airline. I've only ever flown ryanair when I've needed to travel. Recently I've booked flights to Riga, Gothenburg and Berlin. Berlin and Riga are the same airports as Aer Lingus fly into it, and the Gothenburg "ryanair" airport is way closer to the city than the "main" airport.

The point I'm making, and have always made, is that in certain circumstances, Ryanair meet the needs for some people. If they don't meet your needs, find an airline that does and stop complaining about them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

@Dodge,
    Good man! I agree totally with everything you say......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

UH,Yeah!! when I get an email flashing all over my screen saying I can get a flight for £1 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges, I expect to be ABLE to get a flight for £1 each way with no extra tax,fees or charges!

Whats this, the Michael O'Leary fan club?
    I've used them about 3 or 4 times, and I'll give you that they are punctual - but thats not out of concern for the passengers, it's to avoid late fees.But I found the whole experience of flying with them not very good.From the calvary charge from the terminal in Girona to the plane on the tarmac, to the fact you cant actually book seats so you and your family can sit together, to the fact they try squeeze every last cent they can out of you with phantom charges, and that even the cabin crew are glorified market traders - trying to sell you stuff that you would ask for if you wanted it.
    I did say that a few posts ago but thats not all I said, I said if I could get what I want when I want it at the right price, the holy grail of ryanair flights.Whats your point?
    Why should we have to put up with Crap service, no flexibility, horrible uncomfortable seats? most of it is totally unneccasary. And like you said,"can travel realtively cheaply" - but its extremeley rare to travel for the price they advertise. I think its an Irish thing myself, most of the posters here have said that they dont like ryanair, they have no customer service, the planes are uncomfortable, they are totally in-flexible, and they hit you with stealth charges - but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek. They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S. Good luck to yiz all, but I dont think I'll be using them again.

Are you taking the p*ss? Just because the dates don't suit you doesn't mean they don't suit anyone else.

The way your going on about Ryanair is absolutely ridiculous - you get what you pay for. Duh. Have you never heard that phrase before?

Go fly with Aer lingus or some other non-budget carrier for multiply x the price.

If the airline decided to do what you wanted to do then it wouldn't be budget would it. Maybe you should look up the definition of budget in the dictionary. There's plenty of airlines out there to live up to your standard but you have to pay for it. Get yourself some business aptitude before talking such sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Great offer at the min. Got Flights to London for €21 for the bank holiday weekend in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Why should we have to put up with Crap service
    I honestly don't see what crap service they provide.
    no flexibility
    If you want flexibility then you will have to pay for it.
    horrible uncomfortable seats?
    I find absolutely nothing wrong with the seats. They are just as comfortable as Bus Eireann or Citylink. I am also thankful that you cannot move them back on top of the person behind you.
    And like you said,"can travel realtively cheaply" - but its extremeley rare to travel for the price they advertise.
    You may not get a special offer at the best rate because others have gotten there before but it most probably will work out cheaper than the alternatives. Any time I am flying anywhere I always to compare to the alternative airlines such as Aerlingus, BMI etc. I also always look at which airport those airlines fly into in order to calculate the cheapest way to get to my destination. Its about the total cost not just the flight cost.

I think its an Irish thing myself, most of the posters here have said that they dont like ryanair, they have no customer service, the planes are uncomfortable, they are totally in-flexible, and they hit you with stealth charges - but look at the amount of people sticking up for them because they got a cheap (realitivley) flight to an airport probably 50 miles from where they wanted to go midweek. They would'nt get away with it in a consumer friendly country like the U.S. Good luck to yiz all, but I dont think I'll be using them again.
    What customer service do you need that you are not getting? What's uncomfortable about their airplanes? What stealth charges? All the charges are available on the website to see and you are shown the total amount that will be charged to your CC before you choose to purchase the flight.

People are stupid. They think they deserve a 5 star flying hotel for a 2/3 hour flight (even when the airline advertises as a no-frills cheap airline) but yet they will get on a bus and not expect the same thing - why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

There is an awful lot of crap gets thrown around here about Ryanair by people who probably barely even fly the airline, let alone make use of their customer service. I travel on Ryanair in excess of 10 times per year. Their seats are just as comfortable as Aer Lingus for the short hop that it is to any European destination. Everybody knows the stealth charges before they book so why complain? It is still generally miles cheaper to fly to London for a weekend with Ryanair than Aer Lingus.

In regards to customer service, this seems to be more a notion by people who listen too much to Joe Duffy than people who actually use Ryanair. I had reason to call their customer service a couple of weeks ago, they answered quickly and were incredibly friendly. The lady politely and efficiently dealt with my issue. It then appeared that the issue was not entirely resolved and she in fact rang me back to say that the matter had not been entirely resolved but to bear with her and she would telephone back again once it had been.

Ryanair is indeed a no frills airline, absolutely. But it is not the sespit that many here make out and for no good reason. Wow - you probably flew the airline once and got delayed, as if that's never happened on another airline. I have often flown Aer Lingus, British Airways and Ryanair. On the whole I have no problems with any of them. On the odd occasion that something goes awry I have found all three on the whole to be perfectly polite and I have on occasion found all three to be entirely unsatisfactory. Customer care at the point of service is not the strong point of any airline. Customer service over the phone with Ryanair is entirely acceptable.

In fairness I used the term customer service but I meant overall customer care. I've flown with them 16 times in the last 3 years and never had a need to call their customer service. The points I don't like are the lack of pre-assigned seating and the smaller baggage allowance.

As previously stated I'm willing to put up with these for the price I pay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i got return flights for a thursday to a monday to holland for 20 quid all in. if i wanna go to Killarney on the train it costs 65 euro. There's absolutely zero wrong with the Ryanair planes, the only thing i don't like is the way those Bullseye Baggies burst on my jocks when i tear them open with my teeth, but if anything, that masks my over-excitement at flying to Europe for such a low price.

The points I don't like are the lack of pre-assigned seating
    I think it is a great idea since it gets everyone to board quickly thus they can operate shorter turn around times. You have the option to pay for priority boarding (used to be great when free with online checkin). Even after paying for priority boarding the flight will probably still work out cheaper. The again you cannot prebook a specific seat on a bus eireann or citylink bus so why need it on a short flight?
    and the smaller baggage allowance.
    Not entirely true since Ryanair allow 10kg of hand luggage compared to aerlingus's 6kg of hand luggage. Checked in luggage is 15kg (Ryanair) vs 20kg (aerlingus) thus there is a 1kg difference overall. I like that Ryanair are more geared towards not being forced to bring checked in luggage with their higher hand luggage allowance thus you can save money by not checking in bags.

axer wrote: »
    I honestly don't see what crap service they provide.

If you want flexibility then you will have to pay for it.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with the seats. They are just as comfortable as Bus Eireann or Citylink. I am also thankful that you cannot move them back on top of the person behind you.

You may not get a special offer at the best rate because others have gotten there before but it most probably will work out cheaper than the alternatives. Any time I am flying anywhere I always to compare to the alternative airlines such as Aerlingus, BMI etc. I also always look at which airport those airlines fly into in order to calculate the cheapest way to get to my destination. Its about the total cost not just the flight cost.

What customer service do you need that you are not getting? What's uncomfortable about their airplanes? What stealth charges? All the charges are available on the website to see and you are shown the total amount that will be charged to your CC before you choose to purchase the flight.

People are stupid. They think they deserve a 5 star flying hotel for a 2/3 hour flight (even when the airline advertises as a no-frills cheap airline) but yet they will get on a bus and not expect the same thing - why is that?

you know what, your right, people are stupid.You've just quoted me when the comments were clearly posted by another poster - read the thread before you comment.

What stealth charges? read the thread again about the sale price that was advertised and what it actually worked out at.

I've used them more than once, mabye 5 times in total.I had issues with customer support on 2 of those trips - thats 40%, and that has actually nothing to do with theannoying things like no seat allocation, uncomfortable seats and cabin crew's over enthusiastic selling stratogies.

I'm not looking for a five-star hotel in the air, but I certainly dont want to be dragging the wife,2 kids and carry on baggage across a tarmac runway in the hopes we can sit together (this has happened)

I'm only going on my personal experiences here, which have'nt been all that great to be honest.If its worked out for you - thats great, but dont come on here trying to say I'm imagining it or being too fussy - I can rough it with the best of them, just dont like doing it when I'm being told it's a no-frills airling and I should be greatful for the price I'm getting it for when in MY EXPERIENCE, it has'nt been that cheap at all and the no frills actually means being herded around like cattle.

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for a five-star hotel in the air, but I certainly dont want to be dragging the wife,2 kids and carry on baggage across a tarmac runway in the hopes we can sit together (this has happened)

If you paid for your baggage to be checked in and for priority boarding you wouldn't have those specific problems

I think it is a great idea since it gets everyone to board quickly thus they can operate shorter turn around times. You have the option to pay for priority boarding (used to be great when free with online checkin). Even after paying for priority boarding the flight will probably still work out cheaper. The again you cannot prebook a specific seat on a bus eireann or citylink bus so why need it on a short flight?

Not entirely true since Ryanair allow 10kg of hand luggage compared to aerlingus's 6kg of hand luggage. Checked in luggage is 15kg (Ryanair) vs 20kg (aerlingus) thus there is a 1kg difference overall. I like that Ryanair are more geared towards not being forced to bring checked in luggage with their higher hand luggage allowance thus you can save money by not checking in bags.

Axer, if you actually like that system I'm guessing your usually travelling alone, maybe for business? Try it in a family scenario and see how much you like it.

Just an example of their ludicrous polices. We were in a party of five and all the bags except 1 were well under weight.The quite ignorant desk clerk made my 79 year old mother in law open up her bags in front of the whole que and strip 1kg out of it and pack it into one of our bags.Why cant they have a combined weight for travelling parties?

If you paid for your baggage to be checked in and for priority boarding you wouldn't have those specific problems

And this isnt a stealth charge? charging you for something every other airline has as a standard.

And this isnt a stealth charge? charging you for something every other airline has as a standard.

Its not STEALTH!!!! They're quite open about it (Oh and Aer Lingus charge you to check in bags now apparently)

you know what, your right, people are stupid.You've just quoted me when the comments were clearly posted by another poster - read the thread before you comment.
    Yes, which you repeated since you ask why you should have to pay for such things. I am asking you to explain where they are since you do think they are there.
    What stealth charges? read the thread again about the sale price that was advertised and what it actually worked out at.
    Subject to availability. Obviously other people seem to be getting the cheap flights.
    I've used them more than once, mabye 5 times in total.I had issues with customer support on 2 of those trips - thats 40%, and that has actually nothing to do with theannoying things like no seat allocation, uncomfortable seats and cabin crew's over enthusiastic selling stratogies.
    What were the problems?
    The fly with a different airline. Do you really expect that Ryanair should keep seats for you? Do you get seats kept for you on Bus Eireann or Citylink? I think you are expecting to get more than you paid for.
    I'm only going on my personal experiences here, which have'nt been all that great to be honest.If its worked out for you - thats great, but dont come on here trying to say I'm imagining it or being too fussy - I can rough it with the best of them, just dont like doing it when I'm being told it's a no-frills airling and I should be greatful for the price I'm getting it for when in MY EXPERIENCE, it has'nt been that cheap at all and the no frills actually means being herded around like cattle.
    Then don't fly on cheap airlines since you obviously feel like a cow. You do seem to be expecting the frills on a no-frills airline.

Axer, if you actually like that system I'm guessing your usually travelling alone, maybe for business? Try it in a family scenario and see how much you like it.
    Then what the hell are you doing flying with your family on that airline? Is the airline supposed to make an exception for you just because you are flying with your family?

Tbh I don't see the point in bring kids abroad on holidays anyway. If you do then you suffer the associated stress.
    Just an example of their ludicrous polices. We were in a party of five and all the bags except 1 were well under weight.The quite ignorant desk clerk made my 79 year old mother in law open up her bags in front of the whole que and strip 1kg out of it and pack it into one of our bags.Why cant they have a combined weight for travelling parties?
    They have policies which you agreed to. I don't care if what age your mother in law is - why should she be treated any differently? Do you not agree with equality? Maybe you should have helped her before you got to the airport to make sure her bags were not over weight but don't think it is Ryanair's fault.

Other airlines not only charge you these "stealth charge"s but also charge you more for the flight too.

Really if you cannot grasp the concept of no-frills cheap airlines then don't fly with them.

Its not STEALTH!!!! They're quite open about it (Oh and Aer Lingus charge you to check in bags now apparently)
    +1

Then what the hell are you doing flying with your family on that airline? Is the airline supposed to make an exception for you just because you are flying with your family?

Tbh I don't see the point in bring kids abroad on holidays anyway. If you do then you suffer the associated stress.

They have policies which you agreed to. I don't care if what age your mother in law is - why should she be treated any differently? Do you not agree with equality? Maybe you should have helped her before you got to the airport to make sure her bags were not over weight but don't think it is Ryanair's fault.

Just like I thought, your obviously single with no kids - at least I hope you are or your kids have some wet miserable holidays to look forward to. If you think combing travelling parties bag weights does'nt make sense for the passenger and the airline(avoids disruption and delays at check-in) I dont think I'll reply to any more of your posts, you clearly dont want or are incapible of having an intelligent debate about the topic.

• Advertisement

Other airlines not only charge you these "stealth charge"s but also charge you more for the flight too.

Really if you cannot grasp the concept of no-frills cheap airlines then don't fly with them.

How is having seats allocated a luxury or "frill"?

Advertisement