Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Limerick has been very wonky for ages, downloading from Rapidshare has been horrid for some weeks now, under 50Kbps down...web pages last night were not downloading at all.

Dunno whats up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

jarvis wrote: »
    321900996.png

BT 8MB and on 78 address
    Had 213 address yesterday and got full speeds all day!!!

My router is on all day every day, should it not keep the same address even if the pc is off???

J
    The connection refreshes every 24 hours and obtains a new IP address. It's called DHCP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp

Best advice I can give is to just turn off your router late at night and if your connection remains stable (i.e no dropouts in those 24 hours - 30 logins a month) then you'll have the IP you want for the entire day. Unfortunately there are a vast amount of 78.xx.xx.xx IP addresses and not enough 213.xx.xx.xx - lets hope for a quick resolve with this issue, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Sar! wrote: »
    Well we now cant use the phone and the internet at the same time. Have to take the filter off for internet and put the filter back on for phone. We cant connect to XBL, cant look at webpages unless they have basic text content (i.e. email or boards), cant stream any video from Sky or Youtube but yet strangely have fast download speeds on most sites. Pings are stupid at 149 too...

Oh and to top it all off BT tell me earlier that because no one was ringing to complain this evening that their 78 IP problem seems to be solved even though ITS NOT! Brilliant, how long more do we have to suffer!!!

Have you tried changing the filters??

If you are getting high sync speeds but slow D/L speeds and are having issues with using your phone and BB at the same time I would say that the issue is with the filters that you are using or internal wiring

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Actually seems UTV uses BT but for what ?

UTV / Perlico etc are resellers of BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

Have just discovered this thread - at least its not just me! I had myself convinced that my wireless USB adapter was the problem. I moved the router within a few feet of the PC and the connection was still dropping, whereas it appeared my daughter on her laptop with inbuilt WIFI had no problems.

I'm in Stillorgan, Priory Exchange, 1Mb connection. Currently getting around 400Kb DL, 100Kb UL

Connection could drop every few minutes, or MAYBE last an hour if I am lucky. Have to force reconnection by removing and reinserting my USB adapter. I'm going to get on to BT when I get home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Don't use Speedtest.net to get your results, it's not very accurate.

Download the file here at http://url.ie/qv and save it to disk, note the transfer rate after it stabilises and then stop it, it's a 600MB+ ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I don't know whats going on, I'm on the phone to BT as we speak, they're telling me Dundalk has no been upgraded and that I shouldn't even be on a 3MB connection and should never of been on 3MB because I'm too far from the exchange.
    I'm looking for my money back which I'd say is slim, either way I'm cancelling my BB, I've had enough.

322177486.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

homer911 wrote: »
    Have just discovered this thread - at least its not just me! I had myself convinced that my wireless USB adapter was the problem. I moved the router within a few feet of the PC and the connection was still dropping, whereas it appeared my daughter on her laptop with inbuilt WIFI had no problems.

I'm in Stillorgan, Priory Exchange, 1Mb connection. Currently getting around 400Kb DL, 100Kb UL

Connection could drop every few minutes, or MAYBE last an hour if I am lucky. Have to force reconnection by removing and reinserting my USB adapter. I'm going to get on to BT when I get home!

Well, the fact that your daughter is using your net connection without a problem would seem to indicate that your issue is local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I've just come online, and for the first time in a while, I'm getting my connection's near full potential.

Downgraded to 3Mb earlier this week:
    322191150.png

Can anyone else report no problems today? Can we assume that Eircom have fixed the issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

aktelmiele wrote: »
    Have you tried changing the filters??

If you are getting high sync speeds but slow D/L speeds and are having issues with using your phone and BB at the same time I would say that the issue is with the filters that you are using or internal wiring

We have tried three filters and they are all the same - when we are connected to anything other than the 78 IPs there is no problem :) Its not the filter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I've gotten into the habit of checking my IP whenever I turn on the PC and if I've been assigned a 78 IP address I disconnect/connect the DSL connection until I get one beginning 21x or 19x.
    All well and good that this works for those who have discovered this thread but the vast majority of broadband users must be soooo frustrated.

I'm on a 78.16.x.x subnet right now.

322205041.png

For the first time since the issues began, it seems OK. I was on a 194.125.x.x subnet on my previous post 20 minutes or so ago. I decided to chance it and power-cycle my router to change IP. Seems fine, hope it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Daemonic wrote: »
    I've gotten into the habit of checking my IP whenever I turn on the PC and if I've been assigned a 78 IP address I disconnect/connect the DSL connection until I get one beginning 21x or 19x.
    All well and good that this works for those who have discovered this thread but the vast majority of broadband users must be soooo frustrated.
    I'm always on a 19x IP and it is useless aswell. Is the 21x the only good one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I've just come online, and for the first time in a while, I'm getting my connection's near full potential.

Downgraded to 3Mb earlier this week:
    322191150.png

Can anyone else report no problems today? Can we assume that Eircom have fixed the issues?

I was only online for a brief spell at home today but it was definitely much much faster than it has been in the past week or so. Sped up from yesterday evening. I'd imagine some work has been done somewhere.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I was only online for a brief spell at home today but it was definitely much much faster than it has been in the past week or so. Sped up from yesterday evening. I'd imagine some work has been done somewhere.
    Eircom did Phase 3 of their upgrades yesterday on many (but not all) of the remaining ADSL enabled exchanges. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

322230861.png

On a 76.16. . .It's sill unstable, when I ran the test this morning I was getting 20Mbs, but for some reason You Tube is working properly for the first time every :confused:

As I understand it now it seems that speeds were increased all round and there isn't enough bandwidth to cover the increased volumes. Can BT not simply buy more or is my understanding way off?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Sucks, doesn't it?

We'll just have to wait. I think you're right, they won't be in any hurry.

Actually, Do I have to worry about the Eircom upgrades and problems as I have signed up for the BT unbundled 24MB offer.

Can only get 8MB though. :(

They siad I could only get 8MB after checking the line. Do they check to the substation or to the main junction box in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

the line was really good the last 2/3 days but now im getting **** speeds again.

has anyone elses lines still being affected?

322278110.png

646 ping...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

It's a national issue at the moment. BT and UTV, and probably the other ISP's have logged faults. UTV told me today, "we have logged a fault with both the highest level in Eircom and ComReg."

There is no ETA on a fix, so we'll have to wait it out.
    UTV and BT have admitted Eircom are having issues, telling me that reports are flooding in from all over the country with complaints of speeds being no better than dial-up. Eircom and ComReg have received fault reports from these ISP's "at the highest level", but there is no ETA on a fix just yet. You're not alone, and will just be told to wait it out.
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Too true, I rang UTV and at the mention of the upgrades the agent immedietly started her speech about the problem, how eircoms top managers have been informed etc. Its eircoms problem, and we should all be nagging them.

My pings have improved but the speed isn't hectic.
    byte wrote: »
    Surely, if it's an Eircom problem, then Eircom users would be suffering also?

Problem seems to mainly lie with BT, and UTV who in some form use BT infrastructure.
    kleefarr wrote: »
    Actually, Do I have to worry about the Eircom upgrades and problems as I have signed up for the BT unbundled 24MB offer.

Can only get 8MB though. :(

They siad I could only get 8MB after checking the line. Do they check to the substation or to the main junction box in the house?

as I said in the other thread this seems like an issue in BT rather than eircom. The last time there was a speed upgrade the same thing happened, I was a BT customer at the time and they hadn't increased their connections to the eircom exchanges, as a result everyone had crap speeds for a month or two until they got it sorted. given that it only seems to be BT & UTV customers having problems and they are a smallish subset of the market it's unlikely there's a problem at eircoms end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mines been fine (well, since I was unthrottled on monday:() till this afternoon.

modem was clagged up after stretching it's legs when I was unthrottled so I gave it the old three finger salute and when it rebooted I'd gotten one of the 78.* IP addresses and it was brutally slow.

disconnected, waited a couple of minutes and rebooted again and it got another 78 IP, but 3rd time I got a 192 address and it's grand again now.

okay, so who's for a class action suit against BT?

i know everyone says it's eircom's fault, but as we're not eircom customers we have to take it our supplier and they'll have to get it sorted, even if it means they have to countersue eircom. :)

anyone know a lawyer? :confused:

EDIT: okay, so we sue BT and they don't get to sue eircom. :D

• Advertisement

I've been downgraded from 3MB to 2MB and it's made no difference, it's getting worse.

Pings are a mess, there's an end to my PS3 gaming. I'm off to find a new provider.

322300520.png

bbig1.jpg

Can someone tell me what is going on :confused:

I've be downgraded to 2MB today presume back up on 3MB with upgrade as router shows connection at 3MB, speedtest results are below well below 1MB, file download from here: http://url.ie/qv averages out a 27.3KB\sec yet my PS3 is after downloading 160MB in 4 minutes :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what is going on :confused:
    We're all looking forward to the answer to that question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

Just got connected to new 24mbit line which is connecting at 8mbit. I assume line can only handle the 8mbit but will ring them on monday and check.

Getting download speed of about 820kB/s which works out at a bit of 6mbit. Guess i'm not too badly affected by whatever is happening elsewhere, or i ain't yet..

Im not sure that it is a 78.X.X.X issue or at least not purely that issue

Im on the 3meg Option 2

Getting 230 - 240 kBps from www.url.ie/qv

Here is my speed test

322350683.png

And what part do you want to be explained.

They say that they believe issue is resolved and if you are still having issues to contact them.

Seems pretty rudimentary to me......

They say that they believe issue is resolved and if you are still having issues to contact them.

They say that to cover their asses. But in truth, the problem has not being resolved, and more care should be put into making any announcement that says otherwise.

That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

He is saying the issue is NOT fixed.... seems pretty rudimentary to me!

(edit - I typed that before DECEiFER posted his reply but the ******** connection dropped ****** out ***** again!!!!)

• Advertisement

Profiler wrote: »
    He is saying the issue is NOT fixed.... seems pretty rudimentary to me!

(edit - I typed that before DECEiFER posted his reply but the ******** connection dropped ****** out ***** again!!!!)
    Thanks man.

Another thing. I hope they get enough emails via that link or complaints over the phone for BT to realize that the problem is still ongoing, otherwise, I suspect they will sit back comfortably and do nothing.

Advertisement