Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ACCOMMODATION SUPERTHREAD! **Read first post before posting**

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Maynooth Boards Beers would result in Roz raping all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm going into my final year and I'm looking for a place. A few questions if you don't mind as I've never lived in a house share before only campus/digs.

1) I have to be in Dublin most night until 11pm so I need somewhere that's not too far from bus/station and that's safe to walk to

2) I can't get up to Maynooth until maybe the 5/6th August, will there be anything decent left by then and is it possible to get a single room for E70 -E80 w/ bills included?

3) I don't want too much of a party house because I do want to pass the year and get out of college so is there anyway of ensuring that? Do the accommodation lists from the college mention how many other students , the year their in. I don't think I coud stick a lot of 1st/2nd years going wild every night.

Finally - go through the college or somewhere like daft.ie? Daft seems to be mostly for professionals and mature students though.

Sorry its so long any help would be fantastic

You're asking a lot and I dont fancy your chances from experience

In terms of location you are looking at meadowbrook, beaufield, college green, parklands, silken vale, all of which are about 10-15 minutes from the train. On daft you may find an apartment share for Manor Mills

Your price is low, and for what you are looking for, I doubt you will find a decent place for that much, but you never know. Best thing is to show up in person, spend a day calling, arranging appointments, viewing, asking questions. The college lists only have address, price, heating system, contact details of landlord, nothing about other occupants usually except some with mature/postgrad only filters

Start early, get in before the last August first year rush, check around the arts block for notices and keep an eye on daft, you might get lucky

Try the digs list, its as good as a house full of studious final years?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

efla wrote: »
    You're asking a lot and I dont fancy your chances from experience

In terms of location you are looking at meadowbrook, beaufield, college green, parklands, silken vale, all of which are about 10-15 minutes from the train. On daft you may find an apartment share for Manor Mills

Your price is low, and for what you are looking for, I doubt you will find a decent place for that much, but you never know. Best thing is to show up in person, spend a day calling, arranging appointments, viewing, asking questions. The college lists only have address, price, heating system, contact details of landlord, nothing about other occupants usually except some with mature/postgrad only filters

Start early, get in before the last August first year rush, check around the arts block for notices and keep an eye on daft, you might get lucky

Try the digs list, its as good as a house full of studious final years?

meadowbrook, beaufield, college green -Close to the bus stop? they're a bit of a walk doale but still a walk, try rail park, straffan way, maynooth park, greenfield drive.

I agree with pretty much everything else quoted. You're rent expectation is way off for what you're asking, but have a look around, good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 broadwaybaby

How much should I realistically expect to pay so? I paid E80 for self-catering digs last year . It was fine , lots of freedom but I wasn't totally comfortable living with a family.
    I'm not working this year so I can't see my parents affording anything over E80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

You'd get a single room for 80 - 90, but it's unlikely to include bills. Another estate beside a bus stop is Carton Court. But an extra 10 a week would be more than enough to cover bills.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    meadowbrook, beaufield, college green -Close to the bus stop? they're a bit of a walk doale but still a walk, try rail park, straffan way, maynooth park, greenfield drive.

I agree with pretty much everything else quoted. You're rent expectation is way off for what you're asking, but have a look around, good luck with it.

Sorry, the ones I listed were for the train station, didnt see bus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Rented in kingsbry for years. Probably the nicest estate in Maynooth. Friendly neighbours. House had double glazing and gas central heating so plenty warm enough. Good landlord too. Happy days. I miss it. Sniff.

There are bus stops along the road down by Maynooth Park, Rail Park and Kingsbry also, so you can look a bit further if you really need to be by the bus

Any town address isnt more than a twenty minute walk from either bus of train (Cluain Aoibhean and beyond to Castledawson may be a bit far for you)

You could try for greenfield but.....caution advised. Some very bad property and considered unsafe. Same with Kingsbry, better lit and easier access but some really terrible houses (and some excellent ones) - always view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'll be working close to NUI Maynooth next Summer, but I'm a student in another college.

Would it be possible to get cheap student accommodation nearby during this period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Have a look at this thread.

Rent goes way down during the summer as all the students are gone like my house in Meadowbrook went from €1100 during the college year to €600 a month during the summer.

So yes and you will be spoiled for choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Thanks, it's not all doom and gloom, what a relief.

Are the landlords strict about certain things such as storing DIY equipment, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

Are the landlords strict about certain things such as storing DIY equipment, etc?

Not too fussy, they probably wouldn't know.
    You'll need a bigger than average room though, few houses have garages.
    I always use daft.ie, lots of choice around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

I think Parklands is among the best estates in Maynooth.
    Nice houses, quiet and pretty good location. I don't see how
    you can distinguish between Meadowbrook and Beaufield, they're
    the same area and similar houses.

I just moved back to Meadowbrook, very happy with the access to the
    town / train. Didn't have a great time in Kingsbry, the houses are small.

Moyglare's relatively quiet and not far from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Well the new bus router will be stopping opposite the newtown inn pub so there will be pretty easy access to and from town when its finished for all the estates on that end of the town. For the train, handiest place would be Silken Vale or Parklands.
    As for the rent you're talking about, more than likely one of the older estates. For 80 a week including bills you might find something in college green or cluain aoibhinn. When you work it out...they are as close to the bus stop as if you had to walk the length of parklands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ?????

hey!
    going into 1st year and iv had no luck with any accomadation so far
    getting a bit desperate + all i can find is digs in greenfield drive
    heard greenfield is dodgy but is greenfield drive ny better???
    ny advice is apreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Greenfield is fine (I think?!), it's Old Greenfield that's dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

????? wrote: »
    hey!
    going into 1st year and iv had no luck with any accomadation so far
    getting a bit desperate + all i can find is digs in greenfield drive
    heard greenfield is dodgy but is greenfield drive ny better???
    ny advice is apreciated

Dont rush into anything! You will find a place you like if you be patient and keep searching. That list they supply in the accom office gets updated all time and the closer it gets to the start of college the easier it will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭waghag

Beau wrote: »
    Dont rush into anything! You will find a place you like if you be patient and keep searching. That list they supply in the accom office gets updated all time and the closer it gets to the start of college the easier it will get.

That gives me hope. I'm still looking too and the list from the residence office is not great. The last listings added were all 25/26th August. I'm tempted to take a room in a house with professionals but I'm afraid that I'll miss out not living with other students esp. in first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

Hey going into my 1st yr of psychology in maynooth, coming from cork nd wasn given on-campus accomodation nd can't find off-campus so far, what r d chances of a cancellation on-campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

waghag wrote: »
    The last listings added were all 25/26th August.QUOTE] Just keep ringing them every day and ask them have they got any new places on offer. Also ask them to email you once anything new comes out. Its tough going but you'll get there.

I wouldn't live with proffesionals to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 2rio0

I currently have a single bed available in a shared room(sharing with a first year male student). Need someone asap to fill it...please email me or message me if any interest. It is 250€ a month with a €250 deposit. All mod cons, close to college etc. 4 boys and one girl in the house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭waghag

Is there much accommodation available in Maynooth throughout the year generally? I'm still having no luck , I found one or two rooms that were way above my budget , seriously someone wanted 660 a month for a single room!!

I'm thinking of waiting until the term starts back because if I remember right I heard a few people in the first few weeks of term last year talking about new people moving in to their houses. There might be a bit of moving about??

I've found that throughout the year there isnt much accomodation to be had, as many people get fed up commuting and therefore they try to move into maynooth! I was looking last year and found it very hard to get accomodation and only got into this house as i knew one of the fellas was going on a term abroad. Would you be interested in sharing a twin room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

waghag wrote: »
    Is there much accommodation available in Maynooth throughout the year generally? I'm still having no luck , I found one or two rooms that were way above my budget , seriously someone wanted 660 a month for a single room!!

I'm thinking of waiting until the term starts back because if I remember right I heard a few people in the first few weeks of term last year talking about new people moving in to their houses. There might be a bit of moving about??

Yeah there often is. Some people drop out, move in with other friends etc. That's how I found two of my houses. A few weeks in to term there were rooms up on the noticeboards in the Arts block.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Hey all I'm also looking for a room around maynooth. Pref with final year or post grads and a non-sharing room (Picky I know!). Anyone know of anything? The housing list has nothing at all on it.
    If any of you still looking have 4-5 of you there are some houses in meadowbrook avaulable as group lettings. 1600 a month. Would work out at 320 a month each with 5 people. Thats another option. My gf is looking for a place too. (Decided best not spend my final year living with her lol) But we just might have to yet! :eek:

I still have a double bed available in a shared room and need it to be taken asap! The house is in good condition and is available to view tonight and tomoro morning! It is 250 a month and 250 deposit. It is sharing with a first year but the rest of us are final year students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 littlelucy

Hey all
    dont go to nui maynooth unfortunatly but iv jus moved up ere from the west and am hoping to find a decent place to live around maynooth with young people. im in my early twenties, finished college last may and got a job for the year out near kilcock. dont know anyone in maynooth and iv been ere nearly 2weeks. feel so lonely! im stayin in an owner occupied house at the mo with 3 prof that work in dublin so never see them.the people at work are in there 50's so no hope of making friends there. is there anywer lookin for an extra housemate or is there anything i can do to make friends? have been on daft and there does not seem to be much better out there
    please help
    little lucy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fidler23

pm sent little lucy i may be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

hi does anyone know anyone looking for housemates? the gf needs something asap and its a nightmare finding anything... feel free to pm me if you know of anything! cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Advertisement