Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2008 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Actually watched his last game in the majors and your dead right, defence left him down, esp Abreu (looks poor in right at the moment), and that seemed to shake his confidence then..

Should be interesting to see how short his leash is when he comes back.. Even if it is early in the year, its good for the sox to have a lead in the division after a hectic month (Japan, injuries, flu bug!!! etc)... long may it continue!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I hope ian kennedy is wathcing this game. Lee is throwing just about 90 and he is DOMINATING. He's just putting it right over the plate not picking on corners.

Just seen placido polanco without his hat on there in the dugout.

HOW IN HELL he wasn't looked at for steroids is beyond me i mean his head is HUUUUUUUUGGGGGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Which of the following 'surprise' packages will make the playoffs?
    • Tampa Bay
    • Florida
    • Minnesota
    • Oakland

I actually think the Rays (:eek:) have the best shot. It's hard to see the AL Wild Card coming out of the West (you have to go back to 2002 to find the Wild Card coming from the West). Florida and Minnesota play with too many other good teams to stay on top all the way through or hang in there for the Wild Card.

Of course, if I'm right, then that means no Yankees in the playoffs-could it happen?????

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Which of the following 'surprise' packages will make the playoffs?
    • Tampa Bay
    • Florida
    • Minnesota
    • Oakland

I actually think the Rays (:eek:) have the best shot. It's hard to see the AL Wild Card coming out of the West (you have to go back to 2002 to find the Wild Card coming from the West). Florida and Minnesota play with too many other good teams to stay on top all the way through or hang in there for the Wild Card.

Of course, if I'm right, then that means no Yankees in the playoffs-could it happen?????

Keep playing like they are at the minute then yeah they don't stand a chance. Its a miracle they are anywhere near 500.

Rays are looking decent really are. The heart of their order can be devastating and quick as hell. Upton nearly beat out a single last night that i any other batter would have been thrown out by 10 or so feet at least.

See carbrera's triple play? He threw the ball INTO THE CROWD!!!! Gob****e!

• Advertisement

http://www.mlbsupport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Check out the end of the page (2nd last post at the minute)

Further indication condensed games will be back. It was posted by a support forum admin to boot. I'm liking the prospects

*fingers crossed*

Oh well maybe Hansen isn't the answer-1H, 1BB, 2ER, 0 outs, then hands over to Okajima who gives up a GS to Jay Frickin' Payton (of all people).

Kinda feel sorry for Lopez-it was Pedroia's skitishness who cost him the man on first.

Just as well the rest of the AL is so mediocre this year.....

Jeez Beckett owes his offence-he gives up 4HRs and still gets the W.

Colon gets the call to pitch Wednesday. Will also be interesting to see how Masterson does second time out.

NO hitter for Jon Lester, great stuff!! Just watching the game back now.. Apparently he thought he didn't have good stuff when warming up!!! That obviously changed!!!

Well done to Lester, but let's see what other young pitchers have pitched no hitters recently enough:
    • Bud Smith
    • Anibal Sanchez
    • Clay Buchholz

Failure and injury is sure to follow!

Still, he joins some illustrious company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_no-hitters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

The Ms finally end their losing streak and against the Red Sox too. Ramirez with a nice 3 run homer in the 6th tied the game up and it made for an interesting end to the game. Boston walked Ichiro in the 9th with Balentein waiting to score but J-Lo got the job done and got him home. Great finish.

And the Sox finish off in Seattle by hanging poor Wake out to dry.

Their road record is really something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Condensed games coming tomorrow apparently.....

And they're back!...Yippee...can get into the season a little bit more now.

zuutroy wrote: »
    And they're back!...Yippee...can get into the season a little bit more now.

Thats excellent.. something to do now again at the start of each workday!!!

Looking forward to seeing the Sox - Rays series for the next few nights. The Rays have been very impressive this season from what i've seen, think i will stay up and watch at least a couple of the games..

Exactly, I really didn't enjoy my Cornflakes the last two months having to listen to those insufferable chirpy highlight presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gilga

Ehhhh...

What's up with the trade in the league.

Kinda32 picks up Joe Saunders FA one second (who has been sitting on FA for an age) then tries to trade him out straight away. Gets Zuujays to give up Papelbon for him. Come on !!!

WTH...

You guys neighours ?

gilga wrote: »
    Ehhhh...

What's up with the trade in the league.

Kinda32 picks up Joe Saunders FA one second (who has been sitting on FA for an age) then tries to trade him out straight away. Gets Zuujays to give up Papelbon for him. Come on !!!

WTH...

You guys neighours ?

Did you miss the bit where Joe Saunders is 9-2 with a 2.63 ERA and 1.09 WHIP on a division leading team and is ranked 40 on the yahoo league!!! The question should be how come he was a free agent this long!!!!!! I needed relief help and got it using my (new) best ranked pitcher...

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit where Joe Saunders is 9-2 with a 2.63 ERA and 1.09 WHIP on a division leading team and is ranked 40 on the yahoo league!!! The question should be how come he was a free agent this long!!!!!! I needed relief help and got it using my (new) best ranked pitcher...

I missed none of that, Saunders k rate just didn't appeal. I think all of us have noticed how Saunders has stepped up and performed but we do have max innings.

When I see someone picking up a player who has been on the FA so long then being able to trade him straight away for a TOP closer, an alarm bell rings. If the guy wanted him so badly he could have done so long ago.

I've only seen this action a couple of times before in leagues and it usually involved friends or co-workers. It looks and feels "strange". So I knee-jerk and vote against it. Especially when it involves a currrently low ranked team who doesn't use DL, they sometimes don't care..

Unless it's a prospect who's just come up, ANY FA pick-up and sudden trade with upside like this rings alarm bells. An FA pick-up has less value, CAUSe you just picked him up off FA !!

• Advertisement

wrong thread guys...tbh I haven't paid a lot of attention to the league so I'd no idea the guy was a FA. I just looked at my team and saw that it was screwed for SP and I have 3 top closers. Looks like Kinda pulled a fast one on me!

Get José Contreras. The name might strike fear into some but his numbers have been there.

Crazy game in NY last night, with a rather sick ending to it. :(

zzzz....the real action was in Boston, and we managed to win the game.

Could this be the end of the Rays? The series with the Sox at the Trop at the end of the month could be very interesting for so many reasons.

My Dad and sister were at that Yankees game. It was indeed crazy, made for a great atmosphere though.

As for The Rays collapsing that badly, dream on.

And did anyone see Oliver Pérez in his last start... now that's how you stink up a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cubbies going all the way this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

From an O's perspective playing in the AL East sucks when you're over .500. I just realised if we swapped places with the Diamondbacks we'd be leading the division:(

Here's a steroid neck if ever I saw one!

lCT97NKm.jpg

So who's the front runner for the AL Cy Young at this point? Am I biased in thinking Halladay deserves it more than Lee? He's really back to his 2003 best and he looks like throwing a CG almost every time he goes out. Such a pity the pieces have never clicked for him to be on a contending team.

• Advertisement

Very tough call for AL Cy Young. While honourable mentions go to Duchscherer, Lester, Mussina and K-Rod, Its very hard to see past Lee and Halladay. Halladay and his 7 complete games and 2.77 era or Lee and his 15-2 record with a 2.58 era. Both would be worthy winners, and will be a close call. Even though Wins shouldn't have too much weight in the argument, i think if Lee gets to 20 wins then he will get it.

What about the NL? Is it Brandon Webb again?? Or do Dan Haren or Volquez get a look in.

Advertisement