Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

80GB

• 30-08-2008 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi all, bought a ps3 yesterday from smyths. Got the 80gb version, 2 dualshock controllers, nba live 08, gta4 and a ten euro voucher for 510 euros. I think this is an okay price, not that sure tho:confused:. I got a one year warranty with it and i asked the lad could I get another year or 2 if i paid more and he said no. Can anyone tell me is a one year warranty suffecient for the system. I've heard the horror stories etc. and saw harvey normans offering longer warranties for a small sum but they didn't have the 80gb in stock do i opted for smyths.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

i have min since june 07 and no probs with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

younge wrote: »
    Hi all, bought a ps3 yesterday from smyths. Got the 80gb version, 2 dualshock controllers, nba live 08, gta4 and a ten euro voucher for 510 euros. I think this is an okay price, not that sure tho:confused:. I got a one year warranty with it and i asked the lad could I get another year or 2 if i paid more and he said no. Can anyone tell me is a one year warranty suffecient for the system. I've heard the horror stories etc. and saw harvey normans offering longer warranties for a small sum but they didn't have the 80gb in stock do i opted for smyths.

You were robbed. You get a 1 year warrantee by default and even still by european law all electronics have to be covered by a 3 year warrantee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You were robbed. You get a 1 year warrantee by default and even still by european law all electronics have to be covered by a 3 year warrantee.

Robbed might be a bit strong but I would have just bought the system separate (€400) and then picked whatever games you wanted separately. Since all PS3 games are region free you can pick up brand new ones for abou €40 online. You could have picked up those two games for less than that though.

so does that mean sony have to fix my ps3 for free even though thr 1 year warranty is up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

guil07 wrote: »
    so does that mean sony have to fix my ps3 for free even though thr 1 year warranty is up

Your contract isn't with Sony, it's with the store. Unless their warranty covers accidental damage and theft, then you've paid for something you were legally entitled to anyway

• Advertisement

i take it i would have to have proof of purchase, i bought it with a cc that the acc is closed so i dunno if i could get a statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 fdegir

game's bundle is better. ps3+gta4 for 415euro and additional dualshock costs 35euro (normally 60euro)they give you reward card free (normally 5euro) 10euro credit is loaded.
    450 euro for ps3+gta4+ds3. so, you paid 60euro for nba which is normally 25euro on play.com. i don't even mention -25euro for ds3 and 15euro for reward card+credit.

by the way, xtravision deal is good too. ps3 + any game (up to 70euro) is for 410euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Got mine today for about 450 Euro in HMV for two Dual Shock Controllers and a free game (GTA 4) Got the new madden seperately

Not as good as some of the other deals mentioned and I probably should have done what Vyse suggested but I did want it pretty bad at that stage and wasn't prepared to look around

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd like to see know how many people have been successful with that EU thing Retro. I know when I worked in XV, we would do a straight swap if it was within a month or send it back to sony on your behalf if it was outside a month (only up to a year tho).

Im not saying thats the law but Argos sell 3 year warranties on nearly all their stuff. If that was illegal then I'd be surprised (altho that is a warranty that covers more)

That HMV deal sounds alright. Are you sure the extra controller isn't a sixaxis tho? I thought thats what I saw last time I was in there. I might get my ass to Xtra-Vision for that offer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Could you provide a link for that please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

It a 2yr warranty AFAIK by European law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

actually you dont. that part of the directive was never ratified in ireland because we enjoy up to 6 years under sale of goods. year1 is covered by the assumption the product is doa, year 2 you have to proove a manufacturing defect, year 3 and on you have to proove it should have lasted longer. after 1 year is up, the courts are often the only option in this country on items sold with 1 year manufacturing warranty, regardless of your rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

Well fair enough i may have paid 30 euro more than what i could have done by buying on the internet but I'm glad rather than waiting a week for the post. I'm not gonna lose sleep over 30 euro.

Internet? Who said ANYTHING about an internet price?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I was talking about buying games off the internet noodler, WHY are you getting so defensive over it. Its only a chat between people, not an arguement. Relax a tad.

Im sorry. Didn't mean it to sound like that. I like the XV deal but I don't want to buy one from my local XV cos I used to work there and lets just say the consoles are kept in extrenely high temperatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What do you mean extreamly high temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

What do you mean extreamly high temperatures?

In a microwave?

Just a poorly ventilated 'stockroom'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

noodler wrote: »

That HMV deal sounds alright. Are you sure the extra controller isn't a sixaxis tho? I thought thats what I saw last time I was in there. I might get my ass to Xtra-Vision for that offer.

Yeah was in there today and you're right it was a Sixaxis controller. 'Note to self check what you're getting more carefully':pac:

I also saw a deal where you get the PS3 and Fight Night or Fifa for about 415 which is decent enough imo. Not sure about the Controller bit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

According to MacFormat, they were talking about extended warranties and the like in the UK. The 6 years is covered under the Sale of Goods Act. The 6 years is the amount of time you have to bring a court case against the manufacturer, not the amount of warranty. Every single electronic thing I have bought has a one year warranty with it, so why would they ignore a 2 year rule if there was one in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

what i can recall from school is it under 1 year to bring it back 1-2 year you have to prove it was not you fault and 2-3 prove it was meant to last longer and not die that soon

still the 60gb have 0.1% failure rate not sure of the others but that a lot better than the360 the newer ones have 10-16% and the 33% for the older

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Yeah was in there today and you're right it was a Sixaxis controller. 'Note to self check what you're getting more carefully':pac:

I also saw a deal where you get the PS3 and Fight Night or Fifa for about 415 which is decent enough imo. Not sure about the Controller bit

Yeah man but I see they upped the price of that deal recently (was in today and theres a new sticker over all the bundles in question so you lucked out either way I think).

whiterebel wrote: »
    According to MacFormat, they were talking about extended warranties and the like in the UK. The 6 years is covered under the Sale of Goods Act. The 6 years is the amount of time you have to bring a court case against the manufacturer, not the amount of warranty. Every single electronic thing I have bought has a one year warranty with it, so why would they ignore a 2 year rule if there was one in place?

By which time the product would be more then a year old anyway. Regardless you are still covered for up to 6 years of the products life but the burden of proof is on you in year 2 with various stipulations. The 1 year warranty is just an "optional" guarantee the manufacturer gives you. It does not infringe on your legal rights of up to 6 years cover. The 2 year rule was brought in by the EU to harmonise the situation, but was never ratified in Irish law as we already have cover which is superior. A manufacturer will give you his 1 year guarantee which you don't even need, and hope after the year is up you will go away which most people will do. I've aleady been in the small claims court on 2 occasions - once over a TV that was 2.5 years old and failed but had a 1 year guarantee and the shop wanted me to pay for the repair, and once over a Washing Machine, again with a 1 year guarantee, that was approx 1.5 years old - where the company only wanted to cover parts but make me pay labour. In both cases the Sale of Good Act worked for me and I won.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Incorrect mate. I suggest you trawl through the Sale of Goods act again. You are covered for up to 6 years of the products life but the burden of proof is on you. The 1 year warranty is just an "optional" warranty the manufacturer gives you. It does not infringe on your legal rights of up to 6 years cover. The 2 year rule was brought in by the EU to help the sitation but was never ratified in Irish law as we already have cover which is superior.

If you look really, really closely you'll see I was putting forward what Macformat say about the UK interpretation.

However, if you have a link that shows our legislation I would appreciate it, because I have asked about 10 times on different forums and no-one has ever been able to show it.

Strictly speaking the 1980 legislation says you have the right to claim damages for up to 6 years after the sale was made, which would of course make the product 6 years old. This is why people say you have a 6 year warranty. Of course there are lots of conditions attached to that. I printed the act out once and highlighted the sections. I'll try and dig it out later mate.

Strictly speaking the 1979 legislation says you have the right to claim damages for up to 6 years after the sale was made, which would of course make the product 6 years old. This is why people say you have a 6 year warranty. Of course there are lots of conditions attached to that. I printed the act out once and highlighted the sections. I'll try and dig it out later mate.

I'm looking though the 1980 Sales of Goods Act at the moment, and the only place I see 6 years mentioned is under the section dealing with Motor Vehicles?

I should have said, regarding the Macformat piece, as you correctly pointed out, you have 6 years to claim, but they say its only that you can prove a known or common manufacturing defect.

What I have found on first scout through the 1980 Act:

Terms of guarantee.

16.—(1) A guarantee shall be clearly legible and shall refer only to specific goods or to one category of goods.

(2) A guarantee shall state clearly the name and address of the person supplying the guarantee.

(3) A guarantee shall state clearly the duration of the guarantee from the date of purchase but different periods may be stated for different components of any goods.

(4) A guarantee shall state clearly the procedure for presenting a claim under the guarantee which procedure shall not be more difficult than ordinary or normal commercial procedure.

(5) A guarantee shall state clearly what the manufacturer or other supplier undertakes to do in relation to the goods and what charges, if any, including the cost of carriage, the buyer must meet in relation to such undertakings.

(6) It shall be an offence for the manufacturer or other supplier of goods to supply in connection with the goods a guarantee which fails to comply with this section.

That bit is in relation to the manufacturer's guarantee which does not affect your right to claim within 6 years of purchasing the goods. Unforutnately I can't find the information you are looking for........yet.

• Advertisement

That bit is in relation to the manufacturer's guarantee which does not affect your right to claim within 6 years of purchasing the goods. Unforutnately I can't find the information you are looking for........yet.

I await with baited breath:P

Advertisement