Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 5 - I'm in!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭belfastard

yeah i guess thats reasonable and not too much to ask for the role of a police officer

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Guys, its good to be fit, but to calm down those who have just read your previous posts and are lying on the ground needing resusitated lol
    The fitness levels you have described would be nice to have but not needed.
    PCA 3mins 43secs
    Push pull
    Run 5k in 35mins(this is not a pass fail, but they do expect you to do this run without stopping).

So if your fairly fit you will pass. Most of your time will be spent preping your kit and studying, so doing some form of fitness 3 times a week will keep you at a level that should pass each test. As ive said people have went in, and went mad in the gym etc and caused themselves an injury, which in turn back squaded them. So nubies...be careful.

wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 brando08

I dont think its much too ask for us all to reach these targets, and if we are at these targets everyone will pass much easier. Dont know about you guys but i wanted to pass the tests strong and not looking like i was about to have a heart attack. Since the public tax is paying our wages i think it is up to us all to give them the best possible police officers so for anyone starting who is not too fit i would start training as it is taken very seriously in here.

Good point brando.

Go for it guys and give the course you best shot.

As ive said, its not about "will i fail the course" its "how well will i do"...

Keep positive guys and put the effort in. Best of luck to all of you guys who are in training and to those of you who are soon to join us.

wanalaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 egwene

sorry to go off topic here...

Could one of the guys from the august intake let me know if it's ok to bring a laptop with a USB broadband connection with you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭soozb82

Wanalaugh....how did you know I was doing that??! I have been working hard but it's mainly been trying to get my overall stamina and fitness up, haven't focused as much on strength at all! So I was just a little bit worried by the '60 press ups'!! I am getting a programme done in gym and am going to focus on the strength a bit (no, a lot) more!

Thanks for calming me down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭MAKEPEACE

Yeah I was wondering if you can bring a mobile. I think I remember somebody already in saying you can only make one phonecall a night. Although that sounds like I may have deamed it after watching a cop movie "I want my phonecall..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I can't remember if this has been posted already, but for all those dreading the PCA..... here it is in all it's glory.

http://www.psni.police.uk/press/pca-test.wmv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

carlty888 wrote: »
    I can't remember if this has been posted already, but for all those dreading the PCA..... here it is in all it's glory.

http://www.psni.police.uk/press/pca-test.wmv

thanks carlty, it seen easy enough,:)

bet it different with the nervous going do :P

Guys, just back from our second week and things are still busy busy busy......there are loads of long days guys so prepare yourselves.
    Just to answer a few questions...
    You can bring a laptop, and there are conflicting stories about the dongle thingy for the internet. But if its locked away, then no one wil say anything. Defo bring a laptop with you if you have one. i found it good for doing the definitions and stuff.
    The PCA is easy enough guys, there was only 1 or 2 of our guys failed it out of 52 people, and it was only by seconds. However do not underestimate how hard the PCA will be if you are unfit. You really need to get a good level of fitness up, and as its been said, you need to be running 3-4 miles without stopping and at a reasonable time. So get out there guys a do a load of runnin. Try doing sprints and stuff, and if you can get a copy of the bleep test, you might want to use it to get you fit or even test your fitness. They say that you need to be able to at least level 6. With regards to the push pull, for any wee people out there, get eatin and start doing the weights, its as simple as that.......
    Apart from that guys, hope your all looking forward to joining the club....

wanalaugh

ps, right im only home and need to get stuck into my homework lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullslinebacker

Hi Guys and Gals,

This is my first post but iv been lurking for a while! I phoned vetting branch today and found out that i passed my vet. I have also passed my medical (admittedly on appeal) how long do you think i can expect to wait before i get any word about a start date? I understand i can still get the 'Dear John letter' but i am so keen to get word!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Hi Guys and Gals,

This is my first post but iv been lurking for a while! I phoned vetting branch today and found out that i passed my vet. I have also passed my medical (admittedly on appeal) how long do you think i can expect to wait before i get any word about a start date? I understand i can still get the 'Dear John letter' but i am so keen to get word!!!

You should phone the Appointments dept. at Lisnasharragh, they should be able to let you know if you are in the running to be offered a place...

The fact that you have passed all the criteria means they will know your merit placing and should be in a position to tell you if you are likely to be offered. There can't be too many more intakes on C13 as C14 is coming to a head now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullslinebacker

Yeah, i phoned them already they said that i may be offered a start in October, but you know how they are "we can neither confirm nor deny any information" etc etc. The reason it has taken so long is that i was initially failed on medical grounds as i had shoulder surgery a number of years ago and had to appeal. This was successful (i received a letter on the 5th of August)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭MAKEPEACE

Does anyone knosw if you are allowed a phone in the Hotel? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

MAKEPEACE wrote: »
    Does anyone knosw if you are allowed a phone in the Hotel? :confused:

Yes you are. I'd assume you'd have to have them off or leave it in your locker during the day while at class tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Got the call for the october intake! anyone else in for it?

So delighted its unbelievabe :D

Huge congrats!:D

thanks mgh, good things come to those who wait i guess :D

the weird thing is that this last couple of months I havent really been bothered about it that much, Kind of gave up hope and started to forget about it almost, then get a phone call out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Congratulations man. Both on getting in and on surviving the wait. :D

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Many congratulations...Look forward to seeing you at the Hotel:cool:

• Advertisement

thanks mgh, good things come to those who wait i guess :D

the weird thing is that this last couple of months I havent really been bothered about it that much, Kind of gave up hope and started to forget about it almost, then get a phone call out of the blue.

Patience is a virtue.....just one I hope I dont have to practice for long LOL

Right you missed the last night out, you HAVE to come to the September one so the crew can meet you...and maybe buy you a wee celebratory drinkypoo... or 6 LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Right you missed the last night out, you HAVE to come to the Septemeber one so the crew can meet you...and maybe buy you a wee celebratory drinkypoo... or 6 LOL

I'll second that brother ... I mean sista ... Oh I don't know :confused:

GCBC, you're more than welcome. Congrats again ;)

JVB wrote: »
    I'll second that brother ... I mean sista ... Oh I don't know :confused:
    Please tell me I am not going to have to prove to you I'm a laydee and I dont have testi-clays.....

Please tell me I am not going to have to prove to you I'm a laydee and I dont have testi-clays.....

No I was just trying to be hip. You know, down with the kids :D You'll understand, you're old too ;)

Hang on a minute, how did I miss an offer like that? Yes, you do have to prove it. It's not pay-per-view though is it? :eek:

JVB wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, how did I miss an offer like that? Yes, you do have to prove it. It's not pay-per-view though is it? :eek:

No video....not on the first night anyway, what sort of a girl do you take me for?!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭MustBeCrazy

Really pleased for you!!!! Well done - now go celebrate before your body has to become a temple (or something).

MBC x

No video....not on the first night anyway, what sort of a girl do you take me for?!! :p

I swear you type these innuendo's just to set me up. Keep up the good work :D

So when is the next big boards night out happening then??

• Advertisement

So when is the next big boards night out happening then??

Looking like late September? Have to pm everyone and see how they're fixed.

You're in I assume?!! We have to send you off in style!:D

Advertisement