Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 3 - Vetting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

dvc1976 wrote: »
    I figured it was like that, there must've been loads of really high scoring candidates last campaign 'cos my score at the AC last year was pretty high and I still didn't get!!!!:o

Define pretty high would ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Zzoop wrote: »
    Good news for everybody then! I haven't got my vetting forms yet but got my pass letter - so based on the info of this board - that suggests I've got a low pass mark on the AC! - You can count on me to drag the average down!

"High Five"

You had me in stitches there with the "High Five". :D

Don't be taking the 'rumours and speculation' too seriously. The fact is, we really don't have a clue what's going on.

For all we know, the PSNI could be taking the piss and sending forms to people who don't stand a chance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 dvc1976

without being too specific,;) somewhere in the 50's.
    I dunno, maybe that's not pretty high??:D

carlty888 wrote: »
    For all we know, the PSNI could be taking the piss and sending forms to people who don't stand a chance. :D

Oh yeah, cos that'll go down well with the finance commitee - we sent out Vetting forms for a joke!!!:D

High fifties - ie 57 upwards is generally considered to be a good score and stands you in good stead for a place in training, medical and vetting notwithstanding.

And believe me I have that on VERY good authority:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Zzoop

Look, obviously my vetting forms are lost in the post.. or.. STOLEN!

Haha! Dail 999 - I'd like to report my stolen vetting forms.. yeah.. or you could just send me out a new set?.. yeah.. Thanks mister.

Oh yeah, cos that'll go down well with the finance commitee - we sent out Vetting forms for a joke!!!:D

I only said that to highlight the fact that we really can't say for sure why forms go out to some and not to others.

You gotta admit though. It would be pretty funny. Sitting back watching us fret needlessly. :D

They send vetting forms first out to the people they think they're going to have the most trouble with. The one's that they think vetting will take AGES over - that's why they give them a head start.

..lol

They send vetting forms first out to the people they think they're going to have the most trouble with. The one's that they think vetting will take AGES over - that's why they give them a head start.

..lol

Would you like my wooden spoon? I'm not using it at the moment....:D

Haha - I was only kidden!!!

• Advertisement

Haha! Dail 999 - I'd like to report my stolen vetting forms.. yeah.. or you could just send me out a new set?.. yeah.. Thanks mister.

If only that would work. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MrFug

Hey I'd be gutted to have gotten a score in the fifties and a 'dear john'. Would I be correct in assuming your not from the RC background? It seems you fell foul of the 50:50 rule, although I'm no expert on how it all works. To be honest, It's cruel to be sidelined because your from (or not from as the case may be) a certain religious background. I'm a Catholic but I can't help but see the glaring injustices of the system.

Bah, anyway, congrats on passing the A/C and I hope you go all the way this time. :)

P.S That doesn't mean I wouldn't be delighted to gazump you this time myself lol :P :P

MrFug wrote: »
    Hey I'd be gutted to have gotten a score in the fifties and a 'dear john'. Would I be correct in assuming your not from the RC background? It seems you fell foul of the 50:50 rule, although I'm no expert on how it all works. To be honest, It's cruel to be sidelined because your from (or not from as the case may be) a certain religious background. I'm a Catholic but I can't help but see the glaring injustices of the system.

Bah, anyway, congrats on passing the A/C and I hope you go all the way this time. :)

P.S That doesn't mean I wouldn't be delighted to gazump you this time myself lol :P :P

Good point MrFug - the 50/50 blows FOR EVERYONE!!

Instead of applying for one of 440 positions, automatically each background are applying for one of only 220 positions.

It is an unfair rule - its not about the best person for the job which it bl**dy well should be.

Yes being RC does give you a slight advantage, but even thats diminshing as the proportion of applicants evens up anyway.

I'm non RC BTW.

Thats my two pees worth

:D

Good point MrFug - the 50/50 blows FOR EVERYONE!!
    :D

There she goes again talking about blowing everyone. tut tut.

:P :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 regtgunner

Yeah it's a shame that you can be suitable for the police and after passing the selection process, medical etc you then aren't offered a place. Over in England the process is alot easier and I dare say easier to get into your chosen force. As far as i'm aware, if you pass the selection process your in, no religion merit pools etc. I can see why the PSNI have the 50/50 rule as it's important to have a mixed balance so that everyone can respect the police. Only problem for us wannbe's is that this makes it alot hard to get in. There was an item on the news a week or so ago about the 50/50 rule. Some saying it was discrimination. But we all know before we apply how the selection is going to be run, so it's just a case of getting in the mix!

MrFug wrote: »
    There she goes again talking about blowing everyone. tut tut.

:P :P

:eek:

Save the smut for the gals thread!!!

( And i am shocked and appalled at your low opinon of me!! :P )

regtgunner wrote: »
    we all know before we apply how the selection is going to be run, so it's just a case of getting in the mix!

I totally agree. It can be extremely frustrating to watch people lower down the merit list get in ahead of you, but we all know the score before applying. The way I see it, there are two competitions running side-by-side, each with 220 places.

..So when and how do we find out our merit score?

(I'm new to the whole process, first timer etc etc)

..So when and how do we find out our merit score?

(I'm new to the whole process, first timer etc etc)

You'll get your merit score by ringing PSNI recruitment. The list obviously isn't complete yet as the a/c's are ongoing, but it should be ready once everyone has received their a/c pass/fail letters. Probably sometime in mid-late September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Yeah i think my vetting forms have been stolen aswell as you.

Seven weeks after doing the a/c and passing them, still no sign of vetting forms......:(

• Advertisement

Guys, sent my vetting forms away today. Well, I left them with someone to send while I was at work. Anyway, it was sent with 3 first class stamps (despite me asking for special delivery). So I'd need to phone recruitment next week to verify that they received it. Has anyone had to do this before? Also, can someone be so kind as to give me the number provided on the vetting forms. I never thought to take note.

Many Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

Don't know if this is the number on the forms but it will get you through to vetting, its 02890650222 ask for ex 24276

All this joking talk about stolen / lost in the post vetting forms has got me thinking.

What if someones forms really do get lost in the post? So.. they don't fill them in and send them away etc - how do the recruitment department know the difference between the poor candidate who's eagerly awaiting their vetting forms and the candidate that decided.. "Ahh.. I'm not gonna bother filling the vetting forms in.. don't want to join the police anymore.."?? - And send Dear John letters out to both?

Does that make sence no?

Would the Police phone you up and say.. "Oi.. we sent you out vetting forms but you havent got them filled in, did you recieve them Ok? - or would you like another set..?"

Or would they simply say, "Ahh.. whether they got them or not, doesn't matter - they're out of time now anyway - Dear John letter it is."

Please reassure me that there's some sort of back-up plan in the event of these wee senarios.

I suppose the candidate could phone up recruitment and ask couldn't they?...Or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

The sensible thing to do is to post it with recorded delivery to make sure they get it.

The sensible thing to do is to post it with recorded delivery to make sure they get it.

No, I'm talking about when they send the vetting forms to you.

I dont know what would happen. I dont think that would happen very often if at all, post is usually reliable. If it did happen and you had no vetting after your ac for a long time then you could call. I dont think anyone will have vetting forms going missing to be honest though.

I dont know what would happen. I dont think that would happen very often if at all, post is usually reliable. If it did happen and you had no vetting after your ac for a long time then you could call. I dont think anyone will have vetting forms going missing to be honest though.

Yes I know it's very unlikely, what I'm saying is - say the person doesn't do anything about it and thinks to themselves, "I'm going to patiently wait for these forms" (But they got lost in the post) - Will the police think that they havent bothered filling them in, and so therefore, thinks they want out of the running for the campaign - and sends them out a Dear John letter? Or do they have a back up plan agaisnt this?

(Sorry I know it's a daft idea - but I'm sure other people freak out about these kind of ideas too haha)

Im sure if they dont get them within the 3 week return period they might call or send a letter to see if the person has got them.

It wont happen though. I had to wait 6 months to get vetting forms and it never once crossed my mind about them going missing, just waited and they came eventually.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, Ofcourse! "The 3 week return period"

That's it then. If they haven't recieved word back from you within those 3 weeks I'm sure they would send out a letter or something.

Sorted!

Advertisement