Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A new Experience (and an elementary mistake!) C&C

• 20-07-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

This weekend saw the second year of the Glasgow River Festival. Unfortunately due to other work commitments i couldnt take in as much of it as i'd hoped so i decided to go along and catch some of the Jet Ski races which were happening, seeing as i had never shot anything like this before.

Unfortunately i made a ridiculously stupid mistake, i hadnt checked my settings before shooting :o and spent all day wondering why i was having to shoot at such fast shutter speeds even though i wanted to try and pan with the ski's a little.
    It wasnt until I got myself back hopme and had a look at the images that i realised i had been shooting at ISO1000 (I had been taking snaps on a night out last night) and the resulting shots are a wee bit noisy.

Anyway, im looking for some general advice on framing, processing etc for this kind of stuff as i would definetly be interested in giving it another try.

Have at them!

2685447093_7c63f6821f.jpg

2685440119_e6a5d0ac5d.jpg

2686248080_c8deb647ca.jpg

2686239778_d7123769e9.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

A very amateur speaking here - I love your shots, especially no. 3 which is very satisfying composition-wise, and no. 4 is really atmospheric, but I love them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Wow I love them, number 2 and 3 especially. I would do a tighter crop on the first myself but that is just my opinion.

Considering the high ISO I'm not really seeing noise which can happen. Well Done!

*pat on the back*:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

3 is spot on the best by far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Cheers all, im pretty chuffed with number 3 myself actually the more i look at it.

As i say, I really enjoyed the hour or so i had to take shots there today, so if anyone has any hints/tip about shooting this kind of thing im all ears.

I found it really tough to get my timing right for a while, and 80% of the shots i took show the riders completely lost in the spray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

Nice contrast.. could be brightened up a bit maybe? Thumbs up. :)

• Advertisement

YogiBear wrote: »
    Nice contrast.. could be brightened up a bit maybe? Thumbs up. :)

it was really quite a dull day, and im finding that if i brighten them much more im having to sacrifice the detail and contrast between the spray and the water.

Im still mucking about with them though so i may hit on some solution

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I quite like these too, it really captures the feel.
    #3 I like best and it's a pity you didn't get all the boat in #2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I really like 1 and 3, but think they're all very good, and worthy of being used/published.

Well done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

1 and 3 for me too :) I will bet you will check your ISO more often now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

In terms of processing I would go for something rough like posterize or the 300 preset or desaturate them slightly, nearly like a comic book..

• Advertisement

Cheers everyone, im glad you all seem to have enjoyed the shots as much as i did taking them, i think ive found a new direction for the moment!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

well done John. v nice photos

A few more from the day, Beach Volleyball this time, another new experience for me.

I think these possibly show up my stupidity a little more as the high ISO led to me having to shoot at f10 and higher (i still dont know how i didnt realise it at the time :o) leading to some distracting backgrounds. a shame because i think these "could have" been quite good shots

Here you go anyway.:)

2689797722_92bb7d81ee.jpg

2688981501_60abe16e43.jpg

2689788138_2b6b2e04d4.jpg

Advertisement