Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

A new Experience (and an elementary mistake!) C&C

• 20-07-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,014 Eirebear

This weekend saw the second year of the Glasgow River Festival. Unfortunately due to other work commitments i couldnt take in as much of it as i'd hoped so i decided to go along and catch some of the Jet Ski races which were happening, seeing as i had never shot anything like this before.

Unfortunately i made a ridiculously stupid mistake, i hadnt checked my settings before shooting :o and spent all day wondering why i was having to shoot at such fast shutter speeds even though i wanted to try and pan with the ski's a little.
    It wasnt until I got myself back hopme and had a look at the images that i realised i had been shooting at ISO1000 (I had been taking snaps on a night out last night) and the resulting shots are a wee bit noisy.

Anyway, im looking for some general advice on framing, processing etc for this kind of stuff as i would definetly be interested in giving it another try.

Have at them!

2685447093_7c63f6821f.jpg

2685440119_e6a5d0ac5d.jpg

2686248080_c8deb647ca.jpg

2686239778_d7123769e9.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭ maireadmarie

A very amateur speaking here - I love your shots, especially no. 3 which is very satisfying composition-wise, and no. 4 is really atmospheric, but I love them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭ smelltheglove

Wow I love them, number 2 and 3 especially. I would do a tighter crop on the first myself but that is just my opinion.

Considering the high ISO I'm not really seeing noise which can happen. Well Done!

*pat on the back*:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 Ricky91t

3 is spot on the best by far!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 Eirebear

Cheers all, im pretty chuffed with number 3 myself actually the more i look at it.

As i say, I really enjoyed the hour or so i had to take shots there today, so if anyone has any hints/tip about shooting this kind of thing im all ears.

I found it really tough to get my timing right for a while, and 80% of the shots i took show the riders completely lost in the spray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 YogiBear

Nice contrast.. could be brightened up a bit maybe? Thumbs up. :)

• Advertisement

YogiBear wrote: »
    Nice contrast.. could be brightened up a bit maybe? Thumbs up. :)

it was really quite a dull day, and im finding that if i brighten them much more im having to sacrifice the detail and contrast between the spray and the water.

Im still mucking about with them though so i may hit on some solution

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭ AnimalRights

I quite like these too, it really captures the feel.
    #3 I like best and it's a pity you didn't get all the boat in #2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Paulw

I really like 1 and 3, but think they're all very good, and worthy of being used/published.

Well done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Borderfox

1 and 3 for me too :) I will bet you will check your ISO more often now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Borderfox

In terms of processing I would go for something rough like posterize or the 300 preset or desaturate them slightly, nearly like a comic book..

• Advertisement

Cheers everyone, im glad you all seem to have enjoyed the shots as much as i did taking them, i think ive found a new direction for the moment!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ Balfey1972

well done John. v nice photos

A few more from the day, Beach Volleyball this time, another new experience for me.

I think these possibly show up my stupidity a little more as the high ISO led to me having to shoot at f10 and higher (i still dont know how i didnt realise it at the time :o) leading to some distracting backgrounds. a shame because i think these "could have" been quite good shots

Here you go anyway.:)

2689797722_92bb7d81ee.jpg

2688981501_60abe16e43.jpg

2689788138_2b6b2e04d4.jpg

Advertisement