Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Ireland

Options
  • 02-07-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

New web site for your perusal:-

www.AbandonedIreland.com

I have covered a few historically interesting buildings around the country
    including places like Cork Magdalene Convent, Cork County Asylum, Camden Fort, Bolands Mill etc I try to document the building before it falls to a ruin or gets redeveloped.

Maybe some of ye might find this stuff interesting

If anybodies got any tips for locations then please do drop me an email:
    info@AbandonedIreland.com

Cheers
    AI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Very interesting -cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭donaghs

Blackrock Baths are still there, just about. Worth getting photos before its demolished. Are Dun Laoghaire baths still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Thanks donaghs
    Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire Baths are on my list alright. I definitely want to cover them before the developers get in

does anybody know of any old industrial buildings? Mills or that kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Nice webpage. Well done.

Camden Fort is magnificent thingy alrite, what a site... Not so easy to access, but with a bit of investment this could be the right spot for military / technical museum of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Wow! Really interesting site AI and some amazing snaps! Thats the type of history that really intrigues me, the stuff that you dont hear about all that much, the places that arent major tourists attractions.

I especially loved the section on abonded dwellings, amazing, imagine if those walls could talk what they would say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

I really like your website. I hope it is a work in progress.

You might be interested in checking this out.

Skara Brae

Thanks for the compliments guys
    The website is a work in progress and hopefully there will be many more additions
    Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate hearing about interesting places that are worthy of properly documenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you interested in people submitting pieces? Also will it just be urban buildings?

Hey Brian

Yes it would be great for people to submit pieces. I'm really open to anybody getting involved - whether you want to write something and supply some photographs or if you want to do some work together I'm flexible. If anybody wants to submit a piece and be credited as the author I will of course do this, if you would prefer to stay anonymous then this is also of course fine.
    No it wouldn't have to be just urban buildings.

If anybody is thinking of going visiting abandoned buildings then please do take care, in particular watch out for rotten floors. Best not to go alone and keep a phone with you just in case anything does go wrong. Also please bear in mind I do not condone trespass or any other illegal activity.

You’re welcome to email me with any suggestions: info@AbandonedIreland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Very interesting siteand yes, Dun Laoghaire baths are still there although they look like a death trap so I'd pass on taking interior photos if i were you.

Your piece on the Hellfire club was interesting, I've been to these caves quite a few times (I lived not far from here) and i always thought this was the only Hellfire club, I didn't realise it was an international organisation. (Interesting for you conspiracy theorists as well, the founder, Lord dashwood was also supposedly a founder of the illuminati).

Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

AI wrote: »
    Hey Brian

Yes it would be great for people to submit pieces. I'm really open to anybody getting involved - whether you want to write something and supply some photographs or if you want to do some work together I'm flexible. If anybody wants to submit a piece and be credited as the author I will of course do this, if you would prefer to stay anonymous then this is also of course fine.
    No it wouldn't have to be just urban buildings.

If anybody is thinking of going visiting abandoned buildings then please do take care, in particular watch out for rotten floors. Best not to go alone and keep a phone with you just in case anything does go wrong. Also please bear in mind I do not condone trespass or any other illegal activity.

You’re welcome to email me with any suggestions: info@AbandonedIreland.com

Coolio there's loads of old buildings and sites in sligo, this will give me something to do. I'll let you know when and if I get something together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Don't know if Dartmouth Square counts as a "building" but it's probably worth taking a picture for posterity. Lord alone knows what's going to happen to it now.

The little nerd who found some loophole to allow him to "buy it" and now wants some ridiculous sum of taxpayers money to "sell" it back is playing hard ball. The Council won't exercise their CPO because they fear arbitration will force them to pay too high a sum. He can't do anything with it because he'll never get planning permission.

Net result is that what was once a beautifully serene little park, open to the general public during the hours of daylight is now becoming a wilderness.

All this in a city where they tell us "high density housing" is a requirement and therefore that areas of public green space will become ever more important.

Makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Looks pretty cool. Great shots.

Just googled Dartmouth Square, sounds like the residents are taking it into their own hands and reclaiming it! mad story!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Loved the pictures looking forward to seeing more.

I bookmarked your site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Doolittle51

Nice site there AI.

I reckon Loftus Hall would be a good one to cover:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054870306

Access is very restricted though, so it might prove difficult to get any decent photos.

Loftus is #1 on my list, but apparently the caretaker has a shotgun! if anybody has any local contacts in that area then I'll take the photographs if somebody minds the caretaker!

There will be a couple of updates to the website this week. A small feature on a coast guard station in Cork which was blown up by the IRA in 1920s and I am working on finishing another large site in Cork.

There will be wider coverage of other counties in early August.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

AI wrote: »
    Thanks donaghs
    Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire Baths are on my list alright. I definitely want to cover them before the developers get in

does anybody know of any old industrial buildings? Mills or that kind of thing?

Waterford City, two large old city centre industrial sites are pending redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Very nice. Thank you.

I was always interested in such places as growing up as a kid in Baldoyle in the 70's we had the ruins of the old Racecource and Stapolin House to explore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Nice site.

I live in London and I often see abandoned pianos thrown out - I was thinking of a site along the lines of this called Abandoned Pianos.

• Advertisement

Hi An Fear Aniar

Thats mad about the Pianos! if you want to send me some pics and words about the pianos I'll put a page up for you on AbandonedIreland if you're interested - of course fullly credited to you.

I did rescue a piano one time years ago but it's still at the back of the garden shed in a very poor state - maybe one day I'll get round to restoring it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Really interesting,you'v hit at something that I think every person mildly interested in local history has always ponders - "i wonder what that used to be"..

Looking forward to more submissions. Always interested on the buildings above business' in the city centre like Dame st,d'olier st and top of camden st.

Just updated the webpage, two sites in Cork. Howes Strand Coast Guard station & St Kevin's hospital in Cork city. Most people don't realise St Kevin's is derelict and abandoned. Its the very imposing red brick building looking out over the river Lee in Sundays Well.

Next updates are planned for Clare & Galway in another few weeks & then Dublin after that. It does take a bit of time photographing, researching and doing the web page so you'll have to bare with us as this has to be fitted in around paid work.

If anybody wants to lend a hand then you're welcome to drop us an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

Are you interested in ancient abandoned buildings? I explored Three Castle head in West Cork recently. Its reputedly over 800 years old and is now on private land but is still accessible. It was built by the local O'Mahony clan and is in an amazing location. I've got loads of photos which I'm happy to pass on if you're interested.

EDIT: I see you already have a pic on there. Offer still stands.

Hey bullpost. definitely interested.

Yes three castle head is a great spot, I have just been there the once, I have a handful of pics but probably not enough for a good article. Yes I'd like to see your pics and I'll put something together. Can I view your pics anywhere? drop me an email and we'll work something out info@AbandonedIreland.com

I was thinking it would be great to do a full article on the O'Mahony castles, there's quite a few in various states of decay around West Cork. Mind you I've got a few projects in mind and never enough time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how about that building on camdaem street with the round window opposite the camdem court it used to make holy statues and stained glass windows been empty for yeas im sure you could get some interesting pics

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Great site AI. Heading to loftus hall pretty soon and am hoping to get a few pics or movies. Will let you know if I can get some decent shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

That's cool, wish it had more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

Did you just walk into ruined homes? And what did you do with the old photos?

• Advertisement

Update coming soon lads. Very busy weekend exploring in County Clare! and more trips planned for the next two weekends.

I'm just tweaking the Virtual Reality code – too many people have been complaining about the wide angle shots so I want to get the VR element working already, and then I will upload the new locations and ask for your help to test it out.

Munya we are very specific in leaving any location exactly as we found it. The only way you will know we've been there is perhaps a few footprints in the dust!

Advertisement