Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

That's a pity those old photographs are going to be destroyed if no one looks after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd forgotten where this thread was and only came across it again today. I've bookmarked your site now and will send you on the photos over the next couple of weeks. Mad busy in work so probably wont get to it any sooner than that.
    AI wrote: »
    Hey bullpost. definitely interested.

Yes three castle head is a great spot, I have just been there the once, I have a handful of pics but probably not enough for a good article. Yes I'd like to see your pics and I'll put something together. Can I view your pics anywhere? drop me an email and we'll work something out info@AbandonedIreland.com

I was thinking it would be great to do a full article on the O'Mahony castles, there's quite a few in various states of decay around West Cork. Mind you I've got a few projects in mind and never enough time!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Just updated www.AbandonedIreland.com

Three new sites added with the green buttons

Doonass House, Clare. An amazing mansion house, looks like nobody has entered the building for over 10 years. Very advanced state of decay.

Mountshannon house, Clare. Beautiful very expansive ruin, just the shell remaining. Was the finest structure in the area, built on a 900 acre estate. Interesting previous owners and occupants!

Katie Dalys pub, Ballina/Killaloe
    An abandoned pub complete with full barrels of Heineken

These three sites have the Virtual Reality scenes included - just click on the yellow buttons on the panoramic images to take a virtual trip!

If the VR doesn't work for you then you may need to install flash player - just google for it and install (free software from adobe)

Feedback is important so let us know what you think!

Very impressive photos!

Have you thought of checking out some of the abandoned islands off the coast?
    I'm familar with some that have lots of empty houses etc, even some really small ones had a school etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Excellent site you've got there! Very interesting.

Just added Woodlawn House, Co. Galway

Really huge mansion house built by Baron Ashtown in early 1800s. Unoccupied since 1970s after the owner shot himself. Some parts of the house are in fairly good condition, others totally falling to ruin. The Woodlawn estate is vast, many many outbuildings, cottages, farm buildings etc. Lord Ashtown built the Woodlawn railway station on the main Galway to Dublin line.

Supposedly the house is haunted although I doubt it!

The estate recently changed hands and is going to be developed - hotel and retirement complex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I just visited your site again. I was one of the people who complained about those distorted stitched together images but I have to say I'm well impressed with the ordinary photos and the virtual reality thingies. Well done :D

Thanks Firetrap - I've taken some ideas and advice onboard. New locations added to the website will be mix of panoramic, virtual reality and regular photographs - the website has only been online since June so it's still a work in progress.

I'm adding locations to the website every week - the photo editing, research and web design is a really lengthy process so it does take quite some time to bring you these web pages.

Just added Ardfry House & Menlo Castle, Galway

www.AbandonedIreland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Really enjoying your site. Well done.

LOL at the Google ad below this page: "Snag Lists Galway"! These places would have rather long snag lists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zebede

nice article on bere island
    those six inch guns are amazing!

Keep up the great work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Superb site and great photography.

There's an interesting looking, abandoned, roofless, circular building on the south side of the road from Rochestown to Passage in Cork. Probably 19th century or early 20th.

How about including the Celtic Tiger phenomenon of the abandoned petrol station? There's no shortage of them, and there is something particularly melancholy about shrubs sprouting up amongst the pumps. Dunmahon on Douglas Road in Cork is a good example, but I'm sure there are plenty more.

Updates from Wexford - Castleboro, Coolbawn, Wilton, Macmine and some others :)

www.AbandonedIreland.com

Hey SuperFunk I'll be sure to check out that circular building you mentioned. I've also thought about the petrol stations! You could probably make a whole website just on the petrol stations! I'll be sure to cover a few and I'll take a look in there at Dunmahon.

Unfortunately I'm stuggling a bit with time at the moment, soooo many amazing buildings to go and explore and then the pic editing and website takes many many hours. Abandoned Ireland has only been online since June so it's pretty good progress so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hey
    I'm from Enniscorthy and I must applaud you on the quality of your photographs and research.
    I know all the places you featured from Wexford but never really knew their history, something I lament.
    Anyway, was good to see Breen Carriages there, I know the family and the reasons for its decline, it's a sad story indeed. A craft like that will no doubt disappear within our lifetimes.
    Where was that thatched cottage? Don't recognize it and I really should!
    Keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 thejamescaird

fantastic idea mate

have you checked out tintern abbey wexford
    another good spot is burncourt house in south tipperary.

how did you take those great photos are you a pro?

Hey thejamescaird

Tintern is indeed a nice spot, the abbey is cool and there's also a nice old mill just down the river there. Haven't been there in years though.

Abandoned Ireland is mostly concentrating on the places not normally accessible to the general public and off the normal tourist track so Tintern doesn't really fit there but I'll definitely be stopping by the place next time I'm in the area.

Burncourt does looks interesting and I wasn't aware of it at all - have added it to the ever expanding list. Thanks!

Hey hamsterboy! Breen Carriages was a total fluke, just spotted the place as passing through Enniscorthy, took the photos then did the research afterwards and was really surprised! I had no idea that the factory was actually world famous. If you can add anything to the history then I'll update the webpage - just drop us an email if you've got any more facts to add there. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

Bump!

www.AbandonedIreland.com

Recently added to the website :-

Ducketts Grove (Carlow)
    Cratloemoyle Castle (Clare)
    Castle Bernard (Cork)
    Dromdihy House (Cork)
    Mount Leader House (Cork)
    Knocknatrinna House (Laois)
    Carrigogunnel Castle (Limerick)
    Williamstown House (Meath)
    Grangemore House (West Meath)
    Thomastown Castle (Tipperary)
    Ardoginna House (Waterford)
    Portlaw Tannery (Waterford)

If anybody can add info in particular to:- Dromdihy House, Knocknatrinna House, Williamstown House, Grangemore House then please do get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nice one AI, I'll have to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 collector

New web site for your perusal:-

www.AbandonedIreland.com

I have covered a few historically interesting buildings around the country
    including places like Cork Magdalene Convent, Cork County Asylum, Camden Fort, Bolands Mill etc I try to document the building before it falls to a ruin or gets redeveloped.

Maybe some of ye might find this stuff interesting

If anybodies got any tips for locations then please do drop me an email:
    info@AbandonedIreland.com

Cheers
    AI.

great site and photos a1
    cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

New web site for your perusal:-

www.AbandonedIreland.com

I have covered a few historically interesting buildings around the country
    including places like Cork Magdalene Convent, Cork County Asylum, Camden Fort, Bolands Mill etc I try to document the building before it falls to a ruin or gets redeveloped.

Maybe some of ye might find this stuff interesting

If anybodies got any tips for locations then please do drop me an email:
    info@AbandonedIreland.com

Cheers
    AI.

Great website. Is it possible to gain access to Fort Camden, I always love going down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Great website AI, a credit to ya

You could possibly contact RTE and maybe do something for Nationwide.
    Might be too much hassle for you but they love this sort of thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Very interesting resource, some fascinating photos. Thanks for putting in the effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Eireannach

Nice work, keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

AI,

Once again i have to say I'm amazed by your site!! I love looking at all those old buildings in there almost haunting state, if only they could talk!!

Noticed also you got Ducketts Grove in there! ;). The gateway to the house used to, up until about 10/15 years back have more buildings out the back and used to be a pub! :rolleyes: But all that was knocked down (hence the mess out the back and the signs of relatively recent activity.

There was also a lot of controversy over that gate house a number of years back, some dude from the UK was looking to buy it, take it apart and have it shipped to the UK and rebuilt over there!! Crazy! :eek:

Anyway, I was also having a look at Westown House and that got me thinking of another site in Carlow that I have been meaning to visit many times myself! It was known as 'Rochford Manor', its a big stately, Georgian Manor, unfortunately its owners came on hard times (not too long after the house being built I believe!) and the place was stripped down of anything that could be sold, furniture, floorboards, slate, nails, you name it! Leaving only the shell of the building which looks pretty stark agains the gently rolling hills of Killeshin.

Heres a pic, best I could do as to go any further would be going only private property! :rolleyes:

rochford.jpg

Also, if you're ever down this way there is also Milford Mill, another interesting place with great history!

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlcar2/milford.htm

Keep up the GREAT work!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

What a great website, well done.
    The photos are brilliant....I'd love to have a look around some of those places.

Advertisement