Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the tractors are landscaping, at least they were yesterday at the clara overpass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

the tractors are landscaping, at least they were yesterday at the clara overpass.

Much easier and safer to finish that while the road is closed. Diggers/tractors trundling up and down the hard shoulder while traffic zooms by at 120 kph would be dodgy enough.

Zube wrote: »
    Much easier and safer to finish that while the road is closed. Diggers/tractors trundling up and down the hard shoulder while traffic zooms by at 120 kph would be dodgy enough.

Very true; it was difficult enough when they were doing the landscaping around the new bridge as it was rather than several different sections along the new road. It's not that long to wait in the grand scheme of things....

According to the westmeath independant it will be opened by An Thaoiseach himself (a local politician!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

According to the westmeath independant it will be opened by An Thaoiseach himself (a local politician!).

Well if the Taoiseach is to open it then it won't be July 16th as this falls in the middle of a trip by Cowen to the US. Hes due to ring the bell to start trading that day on Wall Street !

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang

My friends Mam was saying that she heard on Midlands Radio 3 (very cool!!) on Friday that last weekend would be the last weekend that Moate would be blocked....leading to the conclusion that road is opening this week or Friday probably........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I think Galway will suffer bigtime when this is finished.

Athlonians wanting a big-city trip will now have choice of Motorway to Dublin in 1 hour or bad roads to galway in hour and half (longer on Fridays)

As a lover of motorways, I will deffo be choosing Dublin more often :pac:

I know Galway will have same types of roads in a few years, but in the meantime, i shall be singing

"Theres a swingin town i know called...CAPITAL CITY"

Pittabang wrote: »
    My friends Mam was saying that she heard on Midlands Radio 3 (very cool!!) on Friday that last weekend would be the last weekend that Moate would be blocked....leading to the conclusion that road is opening this week or Friday probably........

This is the nearest to an "official" answer that I got last week, ttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56364057&postcount=290
    The Opening of this road to public traffic is currently scheduled to
    take place on Wednesday afternoon 16th July 2008.

N6 Project Liaison Engineer

Maybe they have decided to bring it forward, is anyone willing to send wccprojects another request to see if the date has been brought forward?

"July 16th is correct. 2pm" .... was the mail i got back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

Athlonians wanting a big-city trip will now have choice of Motorway to Dublin in 1 hour or bad roads to galway in hour and half (longer on Fridays)

As a lover of motorways, I will deffo be choosing Dublin more often :pac:

I doubt the loss of a couple hundred big-city loving Athlonians will do much harm to Galway. If anything, Galway will now be much more attractive for the thousands of extra Dubliners who can now get to Galway in less than 3 hours.

By the way, Athlone to Dublin is at least 1hr 30 mins, unless by Dublin you mean Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley.

Also, with rising fuel prices, the extra 30 km to Dublin will start to look a little less appealing. Driving at 120 km/hr is also much less efficient than driving at 80 or 100 km/hr, so a return trip to Dublin will probably be costing you 6 euros more in petrol and an extra 5.40 euros toll charges.

Anyways, sorry for my aggressive tone - had too little sleep and too much coffee.
    Happy driving!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Motorway cruising will be much more fuel efficient than sitting in a queue in Moate.

• Advertisement

Motorway cruising will be much more fuel efficient than sitting in a queue in Moate.

Amen. But replace Moate with Ballinasloe and you have my argument in a nutshell! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

And productive! Also Lower transports costs a bit of a gift to the hauliers at the moment..........

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

It's all gone very quiet around in here!!! I suppose we're all just waiting now. I'm disappointed the road is not open now, as the relations are down from Dublin this weekend for a party, ah well what can ya do! :rolleyes:

Nothing to add, except that I'm looking forward to the 16th :)

Amen. But replace Moate with Ballinasloe and you have my argument in a nutshell! :pac:
    I'd be more worried about the Tuam Rd junction at the western side of athlone, this is where the dual carriageway ends and where construction works are progressing on the next section.

The simple dual to single lane layout is about to be replaced with a complex of roundabouts, also local traffic will be mixed in with through traffic for a while.

Whats the story with that new temp route. Are they going to reallign the road through the bog/railway lineat the back of Aidan Beatties (Monksland Trading Centre)? It looks like a dangerous slope they are laying down there.

Looks frighteningly complicated...Anyone got a good sketch of the finished product?

Have a look here http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/roads/N6Dual/interactivemap.html it's a bit out of date but gives the general idea, I believe that the link road is now being extended to include a southern bypass of Athlone.

Have a look here http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/roads/N6Dual/interactivemap.html it's a bit out of date but gives the general idea, I believe that the link road is now being extended to include a southern bypass of Athlone.

Would that not require a third bridge for the Shannon?

Would that not require a third bridge for the Shannon?

Yes, there's talk of it going to somewhere near kilmartins roundabout via golden Island. must find a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

What Link road is been extended to include the southern bypass?
    Is it the "Monksland Link Road" from the roscommon co co website

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    What Link road is been extended to include the southern bypass?
    Is it the "Monksland Link Road" from the roscommon co co website

Yes, allegedly! I can't find any official references anywhere; Am beginning to wonder if it was a pipe dream published in the local paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

It would seem a bit of over kill to build another bridge for a bypass acoss the shannon when there is already a bypass, but it would be nice.

I do remember something about a link road from kilmartins to goldenisland alright in one of the local rags

Yes, there's talk of it going to somewhere near kilmartins roundabout via golden Island. must find a link.

I'd say you'd be doing well. There was a suggestion in the local press i recall when the M6 was being planned that the motorway would go to the south of Athlone. That would have made complete sense and would have knocked off 2-3 km off the Dublin to Galway route and we could have had a ring-road motorway right around Athlone.

blast05 wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be doing well. There was a suggestion in the local press i recall when the M6 was being planned that the motorway would go to the south of Athlone. That would have made complete sense and would have knocked off 2-3 km off the Dublin to Galway route and we could have had a ring-road motorway right around Athlone.

Maybe that's where I got the story from :o

Ah well, but I still understand that there will be roundabouts either side of the railway bridge, so there will be an additional link going somewhere?

So, if July 16 is to be the date, then today be the last Wednesday that Moate will ever be gridlocked! :D

And Friday will be the last weekend...you get the picture

Happy days. Hope they actually get this opened before its too bloddy expensive to drive to Dublin anyway!!!!

Good! the number of motorists who get it wrong at the Athlone roundabout isn't funny anymore, the signs are all for the new road but we are still using the old route.

OK for locals & Commuters, but very confusing for visitors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Has the signage been replaced on the already opened bit yet?

darkman2 wrote: »
    Has the signage been replaced on the already opened bit yet?

If you mean the Kilbeggan - Kinnegad section; no, they're still green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

billbond4 wrote: »
    It would seem a bit of over kill to build another bridge for a bypass acoss the shannon when there is already a bypass, but it would be nice.

I do remember something about a link road from kilmartins to goldenisland alright in one of the local rags

There's been talk of a bridge south of Golden Island for years, but it doesn't seen to have got any further. Rather than an alternative N6 route, the main benefit would be the diversion of traffic from the winding streets in the town centre. It would also allow the pedestrianisation of the town bridge, the castle area and Church Street.

• Advertisement

Very true; it was difficult enough when they were doing the landscaping around the new bridge as it was rather than several different sections along the new road. It's not that long to wait in the grand scheme of things....

This morning they say it will be opened by Noel Dempsey.

Advertisement