Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

I have it on good authority that the opening of the road was put back from yesterday (Friday) to the opening date of the 16th to suit Brian Cowens calendar. Cowens calendar has since of course changed in that he has to go to the US.
    So, i wonder what all those people that were stuck in a 1.5 hour tailback on the east side of the town yesterday think about that ....... and no doubt again today with 15,000 people expected in Athlone at the triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

This morning they say it will be opened by Noel Dempsey.

Am starting to think the July 16th day has slipped, one would think there would be some notice on NRA.IE or transport.ie by now, they do like their press coverage...

• Am starting to think the July 16th day has slipped, one would think there would be some notice on NRA.IE or transport.ie by now, they do like their press coverage...

I wouldn't read anything into that, official websites are often out of date!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

on aaoradwatch - http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=95109 road will open 3.30 on wednesday

• Westmeath - At 3:30pm on Wed 16th July the new Kilbeggan Bypass will open to traffic

This large section of road will bypass Rochfortbridge, Kilbeggan, and Moate and is likely to decrease journey times during peak times by up to 45mins.

OK their information is a bit inaccurate, but at least they acknowledge the correct opening date.

• Advertisement

OK their information is a bit inaccurate, but at least they acknowledge the correct opening date.

correct opening date???? They say the 16th which is Wednesday ....

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭tubos

blast05 wrote: »
    correct opening date???? They say the 16th which is Wednesday ....

..which is correct, isn't it!? Roll on tomorrow!

I think the inaccurate info was that it will bypass Rochfortbrige, which is already bypassed!

• update http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=95121
    Westmeath - On Wednesday 16th July, the N6 Kilbeggan to Athlone Dual Carriageway will officially open at 1:30pm (open to traffic at 4pm)
    Updated: 15/07/2008 09:47:50
    The new road will stretch almost 30km's (29.5)joining the Athlone Bypass to the Kilbeggan to Kinnegad Dual Carriageway which opened in May 2007. The new DCW will bypass Kilbeggan, Horseleap and Moate on the existing N6 and tie into the existing Athlone Bypass taking over 45 minutes off the Galway to Dublin journey at peak times.

• Did my final run via Moate (hopefully) tonight, see that they have removed the concrete blocks and cleaned the new road as well as removing the paint off the signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Did my final run via Moate (hopefully) tonight, see that they have removed the concrete blocks and cleaned the new road as well as removing the paint off the signs.

I don't want to stress you out, but won't you have to travel through Moate in the morning - isn't the road opening at 3:30pm?

Ok! Ok! Please don't shoot me! I'm just the messenger! :D

PS: Definition of STRESS:

STRESS - a psychologically damaging condition resulting from the conscious suppression of the biological need to choke the living sh*t out of some asshole who really deserves it!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

• I don't want to stress you out, but won't you have to travel through Moate in the morning - isn't the road opening at 3:30pm?

Ok! Ok! Please don't shoot me! I'm just the messenger! :D

PS: Definition of STRESS:

STRESS - a psychologically damaging condition resulting from the conscious suppression of the biological need to choke the living sh*t out of some asshole who really deserves it!

:D:D:D

:cool: No problem, I'm in Dublin for a few days - It'll be well open by the time I go back! :D

I don't have the remoatest feeling of guilt for not driving through ever again! (barring the M6 being closed)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Yeah I feel a little bad about never ever going through moate again, half because it’s only a small town and I could do with a bit of passing trade and half because I found a little shortcut through the town on the was to Dublin.
    You only bypass 700mts of the town but when you’re stressed out in bumper to bumper traffic, the satisfaction of ploughing over speed bumps and trying to skip as many people as possible is fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AM

It's amazing what a ministerial visit will do for a town. In the last few days Moate has had its hedges cut, lawns cut and the streets swept. The poor road sweeping lorry was so over-worked it was ablaze this morning outside the old creamery. (No injuries from what I could see.)

This evening's journey home along the new road will be swiftly followed by the popping of a champagne cork... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Is this new section going to be (just) a Dual Carriageway or a Motorway?
    On the radio this morning different people were calling it different things???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

DC at the moment. More than likely upgraded to Mway in time

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikegalway

blast05 wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that the opening of the road was put back from yesterday (Friday) to the opening date of the 16th to suit Brian Cowens calendar. Cowens calendar has since of course changed in that he has to go to the US.
    So, i wonder what all those people that were stuck in a 1.5 hour tailback on the east side of the town yesterday think about that ....... and no doubt again today with 15,000 people expected in Athlone at the triathlon.

What gets me is the fact that it's been ready for 6 weeks and it's being open now so the politicians have something to crow about when the visit the Galway races in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mikegalway wrote: »
    What gets me is the fact that it's been ready for 6 weeks and it's being open now so the politicians have something to crow about when the visit the Galway races in 2 weeks.

I share the same outrage - especially when politicians lecture us about tough times ahead in view of the economy. Surely, opening this road sooner would help small businesses in the area, especially those that may be struggling to make ends meet - the last thing they need is having to endure extra costs associated with unnecessary traffic delays through places like Moate!

It's a disgrace! :mad:

PS: I don't think there should be any fanfare associated with opening single sections of motorway. IMO, when an entire motorway is completed, a party might then be justified.

Yes, i thought it was ready when i last cycled on it about 6 weeks ago - about the onyl significant thing i could see was that all the manholes were open.
    Yesterday, i was talking to a girl at lunchtime whose husband was working on the road until last Friday - he works for a drainage company and sure enough they were sorting out problems with the drainage between a good number of the manholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

I wonder if one of our public representatives out there might have a comment to make about that issue. Perhaps there's a more compelling reason for delaying.

If it's been held back merely for yet another red ribbon & ugly middle-aged men golden moment photo-op, then that is irresponsible and wasteful leadership, good times or bad.

Why should ceremony itself ever trump a direct gain such as an open motorway*? God knows we squander enough. Backs will be slapped though.

* (ahem)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't think there should be any fanfare associated with opening single sections of motorway. IMO, when an entire motorway is completed, a party might then be justified.
    I don't agree. I see three reasons for celebration.

1) The citizens of Kilbeggan (Horseleap) and Moate will certainly be thankful.

2) As will the motorists passing through, particularly at busy times.

3) For this particular section, in joining Kinnegad-Kilbeggan to the Athlone bypass we now have a motorway/DC going all the way from Dublin to the West. Given where we've come from, and despite all the allegations of waste and delay, I still think that's something to be proud of.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    I don't agree. I see three reasons for celebration.

1) The citizens of Kilbeggan (Horseleap) and Moate will certainly be thankful.

2) As will the motorists passing through, particularly at busy times.

3) For this particular section, in joining Kinnegad-Kilbeggan to the Athlone bypass we now have a motorway/DC going all the way from Dublin to the West. Given where we've come from, and despite all the allegations of waste and delay, I still think that's something to be proud of.

You should be a marketing manager! I'm more of a Roy Keane sort who expects better. We have come far indeed, but we could have gone much further at this stage. Circa 2006, all this should have been built. As it is, were looking at 4+ years before Galway is reached by Motorway.

In summary, the government have wasted countless hours of my life in Moate traffic, and i want them back! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

dmeehan wrote: »
    Is this new section going to be (just) a Dual Carriageway or a Motorway?
    On the radio this morning different people were calling it different things???

its a motorway with a temporary 100kmh speed limit. that didnt stop me (or everyone else) doing 120 on my way home. ballymahon road entrance to clara exit in ten minutes baby!

• ballymahon road entrance to clara exit in ten minutes baby!

How long would that have taken you before?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You should be a marketing manager! I'm more of a Roy Keane sort who expects better. We have come far indeed, but we could have gone much further at this stage. Circa 2006, all this should have been built. As it is, were looking at 4+ years before Galway is reached by Motorway.
    +1.Years of waste and bloody 'benchmarking' have seen a great opportunity to really rapidly catch up and overtake our neighbours completely squandered by a lame duck 'government' too afriad to make bold decisions.

• murphaph wrote: »
    +1.Years of waste and bloody 'benchmarking' have seen a great opportunity to really rapidly catch up and overtake our neighbours completely squandered by a lame duck 'government' too afriad to make bold decisions.

I'd just be content with "catching up", A decent transport system between all the major areas of population isn't too much to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It's good news allright... and unlike everyone else I stuck to 100km/h... but then I see guards everywhere ATM.

Who wants to go in with me and open a decent service station on the road now????

It's good news allright... and unlike everyone else I stuck to 100km/h... but then I see guards everywhere ATM.

Who wants to go in with me and open a decent service station on the road now????

Moate will have that id say at that seemingly useless roundabout by the east exit. But for the moment, what harm is it taking the 30 second drop off to the excellent Kilmartins in Athlone?

• Moate will have that id say at that seemingly useless roundabout by the east exit. But for the moment, what harm is it taking the 30 second drop off to the excellent Kilmartins in Athlone?

Or the Tullamore road in Kilbeggan, if you are going west there are a couple of service stations on the western side of Athlone all within a minute or so of the N6

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

DC at the moment. More than likely upgraded to Mway in time

Like the Carlow Bypass, its got motorway road markings (continous yellow hard shoulder) and blue signs (with the all important letter "M"), but until it has a motorway reclassification order confirming its status, speed limit is 100 km/h and motorway regulations are legally unenforcable (so yeah, you can park, do under 50 kph and drive with a L plate if you want to).

What is holding up motorway reclassification! Process has been going on over eight months now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Moate will have that id say at that seemingly useless roundabout by the east exit. But for the moment, what harm is it taking the 30 second drop off to the excellent Kilmartins in Athlone?
    *cough* do you work for them or what??? ;)
    It's more than 30 seconds, and parking and petrol service area is quite limited. That area is fine but I think there is a need for a good fast service area on the DC, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will stop if it's near Athlone......1/2 way to Galway and all that. Besides if people see it the tempation is there to stop.

Advertisement