Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Kilbeggan to Athlone

Options
189101113

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭veryangryman


    Ha perish the thought! They are quite expensive for some stuff but no worse than any typical Motorway Station. Loads of choice for food, sandwiches/rolls in Centra, Pizza n Dominoes, Rolls in Subway, or the Hotel for a nice dinner

    Ha i wish i worked there now - imagine the commission money id have now!!:D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann


    icdg wrote: »
    Like the Carlow Bypass, its got motorway road markings (continous yellow hard shoulder) and blue signs (with the all important letter "M"), but until it has a motorway reclassification order confirming its status, speed limit is 100 km/h and motorway regulations are legally unenforcable (so yeah, you can park, do under 50 kph and drive with a L plate if you want to).

    What is holding up motorway reclassification! Process has been going on over eight months now!


    I rang the Department of Transport a few weeks ago and asked just that.
    Timescale is thus:

    1) NRA applies to Minister for redesignation

    2) Minister invited submissions, to be submitted by late March 2008, from the public on proposals

    3) NRA was given a chance to address any nimby concerns in April

    4) May-June the nimbys were given a second chance to contradict the NRA and slow up the process. Many nimby objections were again received. So Dempsey has to review them all again, and this takes time, apparently.

    It's ridiculous.

    However, all local authorities expect to redesignate the HQDCs as motorway before the end of the year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes


    How long would that have taken you before?

    depends. i'm usually lucky. 20-30 mins on a good day maybe?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4


    Well the Garda Traffic corps in Athlone were out shooting fish in a barrel at lunch time today with their traffic camera on the Athlone bypass.
    They will probably be lurking around the new road at the weekend to try and find a nice hiding spot :-)


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard


    At long last it's opened! Was on it myself last night - lads 'tis fantastic.

    Sticking to the existing speed limits I was interested to see how far I'd get in an hour. From the western end of the Athlone bypass observing the speed limits (100kph Athlone-Kinnegad, 120kph afterwards) I got to between Maynooth and the Celbridge Interchange.

    FWIW, there was a Garda car on one of the bridges, but I couldn't say for certain if they had the hairdryers with them or not. There were a lot of roadspotters on various overpasses as well.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4


    I see they have decreased the speed limit on the old "N6" to 80kph.
    I dont see any valid reason for that, but the guards will have a field day if they ever go on the road with their hairdryers.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pgbuachain


    Just under 300km of dual carriageway linking Dublin with Cork, Limerick and Galway has been redesignated motorway.

    In the irish Times online today - http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0718/1216330999777.html

    The alteration will produce an almost continuous motorway linking Athlone to Dublin as the Kinnegad to Athlone route is among those reclassified.

    The 40km stretch connecting Cashel to Mitchelstown - which is due to open next Friday - will extend the length of motorway on the main Dublin to Cork route.

    In total, 10 sections of road stretching 292km are affected, four of which (125km) will be open to traffic on September 24th when the changes come into force.

    The remainder are under construction. All inter-urban routes are due to be completed by 2010.

    The main differences between a a dual carriageway and a motorway, aside from the speed limit, are that learner drivers, vehicles with a speed of less than 50km/h and motorcycles of less than 50cc are barred from using the latter.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental


    I'm told that the Athlone bypass will remain at 100kmh, even after the Kilbeggan section is reclassified to 120. Reasons given are short distances between exits and sliproads which do not meet motorway standards(Roscommon Road junction I'd imagine).

    It'll be interesting to watch the change in traffic patterns on the Mullingar-Ballymahon and Mullingar-Ballymore-Athlone roads over the next few weeks. These have been used as alternates by people for a number of years. I've always been amazed at the amount of G plates passing through Ballymore on a bank holiday Friday.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear


    pgbuachain wrote: »
    Just under 300km of dual carriageway linking Dublin with Cork, Limerick and Galway has been redesignated motorway

    Does that take effect immediately or will they be fannying around for a few more months replacing green signs with blue etc before it's fully implemented???


  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster


    Occidental wrote: »
    I'm told that the Athlone bypass will remain at 100kmh, even after the Kilbeggan section is reclassified to 120. Reasons given are short distances between exits and sliproads which do not meet motorway standards(Roscommon Road junction I'd imagine).

    Does this mean that the Athlone Bypass will remain designated as 'N' ? Pity if the rest of the route is officially designated as motorway ....


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert


    Its good news but this stuff should have been in place in the 1990s.
    Too many people have endured bad roads, delays and misery for too long and that cost should not be forgotten.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud


    Does that take effect immediately or will they be fannying around for a few more months replacing green signs with blue etc before it's fully implemented???

    ...to take effect from September 24th! I guess that all modifications (including signage replacement) will have to be completed by then.

    Hope this helps!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental


    caster wrote: »
    Does this mean that the Athlone Bypass will remain designated as 'N' ? Pity if the rest of the route is officially designated as motorway ....

    I'd imagine it will stay as the N6. In fairness 100kmh is plenty fast enough for this stretch as you tend to get a lot of local traffic pottering on and off. It would also mean all non-motorway traffic would have to go via the town bridge, which is already carnage at the best of times.


  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos


    Occidental wrote: »
    I'd imagine it will stay as the N6. In fairness 100kmh is plenty fast enough for this stretch as you tend to get a lot of local traffic pottering on and off. It would also mean all non-motorway traffic would have to go via the town bridge, which is already carnage at the best of times.


    Agree, it is really useful as a relief road/bypass. It is used by local traffic as much as passing traffic. I wonder though if it will always be 100km/h, even when the road extends all the way to Galway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard


    Just want to say thanks to dolanbaker, blast05 and everyone else who kept us updated on progress on the new road.

    Lads, ye were like expectant fathers waiting outside the delivery suite :D

    Safe driving to everyone.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09


    Anyone using the m6 between moate and kinnegad today i passed on it at about 3 or so and there was a black land cruiser 07 d reg parked under one of the bridges with blacked out windows looked suspiciouly like a speed trap. Anyone else see it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler


    billbond4 wrote: »
    I see they have decreased the speed limit on the old "N6" to 80kph.
    I dont see any valid reason for that, but the guards will have a field day if they ever go on the road with their hairdryers.

    Agreed, this is absolutely senseless, has the road suddenly become more dangerous overnight? (now it will have far less traffic)


  • Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Solyad wrote: »
    Agreed, this is absolutely senseless, has the road suddenly become more dangerous overnight? (now it will have far less traffic)


    :rolleyes: A classic case of bureaucracy over common sense :rolleyes: ( rolleyes, well deserved here)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99


    There are plans to upgrade "windowdress" most of the new dual carriageways to motorways, they are already built to motorway standards.

    There is a thread here
    don't the national primary dual carriageways have little t-junctions and hatch crossings on them. wouldn't it be to dangerous to allow cars to go at 120k on these roads. you would have to reconfigure dem a good bit aswell, which would be costly.


  • Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    donvito99 wrote: »
    don't the national primary dual carriageways have little t-junctions and hatch crossings on them. wouldn't it be to dangerous to allow cars to go at 120k on these roads. you would have to reconfigure dem a good bit aswell, which would be costly.


    That's true of "ordinary" dual carriageways, but the so called HQDC's were built to a standard that was similar to motorways except for laybys and being slightly narrower, but I believe that they have the same design speed as motorways.

    Sections of dual carriageway like the N4 between Mullingar & Kinnegad will remain as 100kmh dual carriageway for precisly the reasons you have highlighted. Also the N6 past Athlone won't be upgraded either, but this is because there is no real alternative route for prohibited traffic as well as the large number of junctions in a short distance.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg


    tubos wrote: »
    Agree, it is really useful as a relief road/bypass. It is used by local traffic as much as passing traffic. I wonder though if it will always be 100km/h, even when the road extends all the way to Galway.

    I imagine it will be upgraded at some point, particularly if at some future date Athlone-Galway is reclassified. But its not a priority of any sort. Its not simply a matter of reclassifying as its not full motorway standard and the junctions will need to be improved. I'd also imagine it would remain at 100km/h as indeed both the Cashel and Nenagh bypasses will be (and, dare I mention it, the M50).

    Ballinasloe-Galway is almost certain to have motorway regulations, if only, becuase its a toll road. While toll roads do not need to be motorway (cf both the Jack Lynch Tunnel and the East-Link) not making it motorway runs the risk (not relevant with both roads I mentioned for obvious reasons) that someone will apply for and perhaps even get premission for an access that might turn into a way of avoiding the toll. Its a long shot but could in theory happen...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916


    There's no toll for the Jack Lynch (aka Lee) Tunnel...thank God - it'd be a traffic nightmare if there was.


  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg


    There's no toll for the Jack Lynch (aka Lee) Tunnel...thank God - it'd be a traffic nightmare if there was.

    Had forgotten that!!! The East Link is the only example I can cite so, I was probably thinking the Dublin Port Tunnel, but that's motorway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.


    icdg wrote: »
    Had forgotten that!!! The East Link is the only example I can cite so, I was probably thinking the Dublin Port Tunnel, but that's motorway.

    East Link is the only non-motorway toll in the state afaik. But the toll issue alone isn't reason enough for Ballinasloe-Galway to become a motorway.

    The main thing is that it gets a 120 limit, N or M. Its a long road and the extra 20 would go a long way. 100 is fine as a stopgap measure for the soon-to-be- motorways, but if B'sloe-Galway is to be N for some years then a special limit is in order.


  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts


    :rolleyes: A classic case of bureaucracy over common sense :rolleyes: ( rolleyes, well deserved here)

    I completely agree. This happened on the stretch from Enfield to Maynooth as well. It's outrageous. How are people supposed to respect speed limits when so many of them are completely nonsensical?

    Having said that, I think I heard of a court case recently where some guy was charged of exceeding 80kms on a similar stretch in Cork but the judge threw the case out because regulations hadn't been complied with. Anyone know anything more about this?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker


    serfboard wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks to dolanbaker, blast05 and everyone else who kept us updated on progress on the new road.

    Lads, ye were like expectant fathers waiting outside the delivery suite :D

    Safe driving to everyone.
    Same from me! Glad to be kept informed and was there for first day of opening.

    I am enjoying driving this road..... I managed to "arrange" my work so I would be driving it lately!

    It's a very nice drive... especially for a culchie like me, I love looking at rolling fields.. just have to keep eyes on road. ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Pittabang


    and a big thanks from me too ! My son was actually born on 8th July so I know exactly how an expectant father feels. I was kind of hoping the road would be open before he had arrived bt alas he got here first.

    Now when will the Newcastle road junction on the N4 be completed.........off to a new thread...... laters.


  • Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    Pittabang wrote: »
    and a big thanks from me too ! My son was actually born on 8th July so I know exactly how an expectant father feels. I was kind of hoping the road would be open before he had arrived bt alas he got here first.

    Now when will the Newcastle road junction on the N4 be completed.........off to a new thread...... laters.

    Congratulations!

    I used the new road for the first time in tuesday morning (shift pattern) was surprised just how much traffic there was on this section relative to the Kinnegad - Kilbeggan road.

    The Athlone bypass now looks really grotty in comparison.

    The Newcastle junction, I believe is due to be finished spring next year.
    They are pressing along quite well on it!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow



    I used the new road for the first time in tuesday morning (shift pattern) was surprised just how much traffic there was on this section relative to the Kinnegad - Kilbeggan road.

    I always wondered why they did the Kilbeggan-Kinnegad section first. Even before that road was open Moate was always the worst stretch bottleneck on the road and the obvious spot to bypass first!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor


    rekrow wrote: »
    I always wondered why they did the Kilbeggan-Kinnegad section first.
    To benefit Offaly voters.


Advertisement