Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEAP Factor for Thermal Bridging

Options
  • 06-07-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi all

Have been going through the DEAP spreadsheet trying out various scenarios for by build. Our house if ICF, one of the benefits of which is improved thermal bridging. Is there any guidance on a suitable value for the 'Factor for Thermal Bridging' for an ICF house?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if its different to the standard 0.17, isint there a formula to follow for each ope, and thermal bridge location iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

THe UK Planning portal has 'Accredited Details for Construction' for the following construction types

Partial Fill Cavity Wall
    Full Fill Cavity Wall
    Internal Insulation system
    External Insulation Systems
    Timber Frame
    Steel Frame

No ICF I'm afraid - what makes you say ICF is one of the best for Thermal Bridging have you seen any results you can point me to?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭tipperary

I'm not aware of any independent testing, but as it is externally insulated I would have thought that the majority of the thermal bridges would be eliminated? Would be open to being proved wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭ardara1

tipperary wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any independent testing, but as it is externally insulated I would have thought that the majority of the thermal bridges would be eliminated? Would be open to being proved wrong!

Depends on quantity and placement of insulation alright - but any structure that's built directly onto the floor slab will have difficulty even hitting the 0.16 psi value needed be able to use the Y-value of 0.08 in DEAP - but then again I haven't seen this actual situation tested - but a similar one with a reinforced slab sitting on the inner leaf - VERY difficult to get even a reasonable value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

ardara1 wrote: »
    ... but any structure that's built directly onto the floor slab will have difficulty even hitting the 0.16 psi value needed be able to use the Y-value of 0.08 in DEAP

Can you explain this please ? I have no idea what this means and am interested in ICF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement