Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent/Times Exam Diaries (Should be ashamed!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Kgirl wrote: »
    So in actual fact JC 2K3 Laura>you!
    :(

But you've never even met me, how can you judge me!!11?

You have to agree though, academically, I am far superior.

Ooops! Not sure if that icon came out! :( (classic icons never let down!)
    Don't ever let that get in your way, Kgirl, if you want to come on to an icon, just go for it, don't worry about its possible sexuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kgirl

Just like you have never met her. (Sorry, i tried to assume that you knew that was my point)

You seem to be FAR superior to anyone who has posted their own academic situation so far, well done!!!!! Now what, you gettin some kinda weird kick outta this mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    :(

But you've never even met me, how can you judge me!!11?

You have to agree though, academically, I am far superior.

dont be so MODEST!!:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Just like you have never met her. (Sorry, i tried to assume that you knew that was my point)

You seem to be FAR superior to anyone who has posted their own academic situation so far, well done!!!!! Now what, you gettin some kinda weird kick outta this mate?
    to be fair, at least the guy doesn't say ''oh I'm writing about the Leaving Cert'' and then write about.... shoes....
    And also, the other difference is, JC 2K3 isn't in a national newspaper

• Advertisement

It was the diary of a lc student doing exams, an exam diary not just about the exams, but also of her time during (including between) exams, she wrote about her life, and people are complaining? It doesn't seem right that people complain about someone because they don't have the same lifestyles.

It doesn't seem right that people complain about someone because they don't have the same lifestyles.
    I amn't complaining about that, I'm complaining that this girl Laura (who I was in school with too, btw) has no connection whatsoever with the majority of candidates because
    1,she's a repeat student for the 3rd time
    2.she had the money to go spend €475 on shoes

Its not her fault that she isn't a typical lc student! In fact a lot of peoples problems should be directed towards the times if they feel that they weren't given an exam diary that suited them. I think it was interesting to see it from a different point of view though. And lets not forget that the diary isn't just written for lc students.

Another thing- people are so outraged that she talked about her shoes and bed and that she liked material things, why? If we had a male diarist who wrote about football and sports and went to watch a match before english as his way of relaxing, would people be in uproar then?? I don't think so. Bigotry seems rife round these parts...

Well I mean... it kinda is her fault.... she could've taken her 2nd, 3rd choice anytime, but I suppose that was her choice to go on for more. Fair enough if that's what you're into, but it was still her fault.
    Anywho, why, oh why, would a girl display an attitude in a national publication which, amongst other things, said ''I now have 200 points under my pillow'' after Maths 1 when a very many of us (including yours truly) were sleepless after it worrying? Fair enough, she was reporting how she did, but a simple ''Maths went very well'' would suffice.
    And yes, I am annoyed with the Times, but not as much as I am with the lady in question.
    At the end of the day, it is her writing these articles.

• Advertisement

If we had a male diarist who wrote about football and sports and went to watch a match before english as his way of relaxing, would people be in uproar then?? I don't think so. Bigotry seems rife round these parts...
    Ehh... that's SEXISM. Bigotry is to do with creed/religious affiliation.
    And anyway, I haven't seen one bit of Sexism or Bigotry in this thread, at all.
    ...I'd much rather she/he stuck to the point

If that was your point, you would have said "JC 2K3, I have never met you, therefore I cannot judge you and cannot evaluate whether or not you are indeed better than Laura Brady or not".

Instead you proclaimed her better than me. HYPOCRISY!!
    You seem to be FAR superior to anyone who has posted their own academic situation so far, well done!!!!!
    Aw thanks.
    Now what, you gettin some kinda weird kick outta this mate?
    No more so than dear Laura does, writing her columns, I imagine.

The elite in our society such as yours truly often look to the lower classes in search of admiration. Oh to have the audience Laura has! To spend €600 on shoes and tell the world. To inspire those below me. To bring some joy and entertainment into their otherwise dull and uninteresting lives!

It is NOT her "fault" that this is her third repeat, it was her choice. It is the fault of the times for choosing her if you perceive her as unsuitable (while ignoring my main points above)
    And why, oh why, is it so bad that someone does well at something that you didn't? Btw she didn't sit maths, you may need to reread her articles again with your glasses on, and your bigotry panties off. (And yes, i know your a guy, but therein lies the humor!)

JC 2K3 wrote: »

The elite in our society such as yours truly often look to the lower classes in search of admiration. Oh to have the audience Laura has! To spend €600 on shoes and tell the world. To inspire those below me. To bring some joy and entertainment into their otherwise dull and uninteresting lives!
    She's brought so much joy to us, we have erected a plinth in her honour in Crumlin Village.
    Their slogan should be ''keeping proles happy since time immemorial''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

I nearly threw the newspaper out my window when I saw her sh!teing on about spending a ton of money on shoes. How is that at all related to the Leaving Cert? And yes Kgirl, it is supposed to be about her daily life as well but i thought that would be more about how she's preparing for the exams (third time round) and, you know, reassuring the majority of us that are doing these exams for the first time that it actually will be ok because she's experienced it twice before. However, instead of this, she's managed to sound stuck up and snobby with her two years experience and actually terrified me as opposed to reassured me in any way.

Ugh I don't know, she just seemed like a really bad choice.

I know the other guy who was up for the job and he is just so much more down to earth and relevant to the masses.

Bigot - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ. I wasn't referring to sexism at all.

I think its sad that people can't see that her articles were in no way offensive, and that by being offensive in response to them makes them look bad.

So you didn't like what she liked, you didn't like her confidence, and you didn't like that she wasn't a typical lc student. So grow a pair and get over it (bit sexist! :p) its not like anyone forced you to read it, or it was your only choice of exam diary. Every year there are X amount of people who don't like the exam diary. Can't you appreciate that its not always going to be a typical lc student writing it, that this yr was something different, and if you didn't have your bigotry panties on, it was actually a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

motivator2643313_updated.jpg

If you need someone to be reassuring you all along the way, then your never going to get far on your own. The lc is the first "big event" that you face going into the wider world of coll, work etc. And again, why isn't it reassuring to see other people doing well at the same thing your doing? Why feel better reading about people doing awful after doing your exam?!

Bigot - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ. I wasn't referring to sexism at all.

I think its sad that people can't see that her articles were in no way offensive, and that by being offensive in response to them makes them look bad.

So you didn't like what she liked, you didn't like her confidence, and you didn't like that she wasn't a typical lc student. So grow a pair and get over it (bit sexist! :p) its not like anyone forced you to read it, or it was your only choice of exam diary. Every year there are X amount of people who don't like the exam diary. Can't you appreciate that its not always going to be a typical lc student writing it, that this yr was something different, and if you didn't have your bigotry panties on, it was actually a good read.

Ah now, relax your cacks! I think most people just feel that a national newspaper's exam diarist should be a bit more approachable...

Deep breaths now!

if you didn't have your bigotry panties on, it was actually a good read.
    If you must know, they're trousers.
    Preston_Trousers_high.jpg
    And yeah, I can only speak for myself, but I bought the times that day to see the review of the papers. I was looking forward to seeing another students view on the paper. I didn't want a good read.
    If you want a good read, go buy a book!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ciks

If you need someone to be reassuring you all along the way, then your never going to get far on your own.

It's human nature to crave encouragment. Or are you saying that being arrogant and over-confident is the way to go? I don't think you'd get far with that attitude.

Kgirl = Laura Brady

:eek:

Well this year it was a lot more readable! As i said, its in no way just for lc students

I don't actually think kgirl is laura brady...

Ahh enough of this, off to bed :D

Well this year it was a lot more readable! As i said, its in no way just for lc students
    Being honest... it probably should be WRITTEN for us
    ...after all.... it is the students and not the bussinessmen (or anyone else) who are doing these exams.
    readable....hmm... interesting, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

jobey wrote: »
    Kgirl = Laura Brady

:eek:

C'mon Man give the girl a break she's defending her friend.Kgirl I know what you're saying and I agree with your arguement that they should blame the paper , but you must know how demoraliseing it is when you have put your gut on the line and still found something terribly difficult and someone comes along and says it was easy.If it wasn't her third time it wouldn't
    be so easy.But I have to agree it does take a lot of guts and determination to do the same course three times to get what you want.I believe whats done is done and we should let this rest.

No, i'm kate, LPB was laura. I'm also tired, so i'll wrap my side of things up. If you wanna dislike her for no viable reason, be my guest. You just prove yourselves lesser people than her. Goodnite all

You just prove yourselves lesser people than her.

*lol*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Syferus wrote: »
    *Personally, The Times' choice of someone - Laura Brady.
    Related to Conor Brady, the paper's former editor and now editor emeritus, perhaps?

• Advertisement

You just prove yourselves lesser people than her
    Oh yes, and I'm the bigot?! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement